Lands of Harqual [Maps and More]

The homebrew world of Knightfall.

Moderators: Idabrius, Knightfall

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Lands of Harqual [Maps and More]

Post by Knightfall » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:30 am

The Lands of Harqual: Maps and More!
This thread is going to be dedicated to the Lands of Harqual maps that I've created in Campaign Cartographer 2 Pro. There is very little of the continent that I haven't mapped out although I haven't detailed every part of The Northlands or The Far South. I had planned on posting the maps in a linear format moving west to east starting in the farthest reaches of The Northlands. However, very little of Harqual's northern reaches is mapped out in detail. I would have to create dozens of new maps from scratch before being able to post the maps I've already created. It would take too long and I don't have that much time to spare right now.

Therefore, I'm going to start with the regions I've done in detail. This includes the Thunder Lands, the Eastern Shores, the regions near the Sword Gulf, the Ragik Peninsula, and regions surrounding The Great Expanse. Several noteworthy lands already have their own threads -- Ahamudia (my version of Karameikos), Izmer, and the Thunder Rift. There may be a few others that will get dedicated threads -- Deepwater comes to mind. (Deepwater is my version of the City of Splendors.) I guess any major D&D city or land that I've added to my homebrew will likely get its own thread. It's too early to say for sure.

Note that I've incorporated both the City State of the Invincible Overlord and the City of Korvosa into Kulan on Harqual. However, I don't think those two cities will get their own threads.

As I post my maps, everyone should feel free to ask questions. I can't remember every detail about a region, so a good question might just jog my memory. And make sure you check out the FAQ thread for some of the more common questions I've been asked before.

Cheers!

Knightfall
Last edited by Knightfall on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: Knightfall's World of Kulan Thread [on The Piazza]

Post by Knightfall » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:36 am

Quara's Sea Region
This region is dominated by the Kingdom of MaShir. MaShir is home to a barbaric king, who rules by lineage. It stands in stark contrast to the lands of the Ragik Peninsula to the south and southwest. The kingdom's people follow the teaching of the North Gods and have stood in defense of the Northlands from the Old Sword Imperium for centures.

Barbarians, not fighters, are the warriors of legend in this kingdom. Yet, these barbarian clans are allied to each other and the kingdom's allies. They save their rage for the enemies of MaShir. The kingdom is strongly aligned with the Icefoot Woods of Ahalgot and the barbarians of the Twilight Valley to the east (not shown on this map).

Far to the north of MaShir is the vile city of Klanid. This city is known as The City of Icy Horrors and is ruled by a monstrous dictator whose true form has never been seen. (Most believe this creature is some form of undead.) What is known is that it isn't a safe place for demihumans or good-aligned humanoids, at all. The denizens of Klanid are strongly aligned to the evil infesting the Horrid Marsh (not shown on this map) and are constantly at war with the good-hearted denizens of the Sival Forest and the giants of the Kaltar Mountains.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dragon's Eye Region
This region was one that I'd wanted to detail for a long time.

While there are a few "lordships" in this region including the The Blighted Lands of the North and the Dragon's Eye Reach, the region is mainly barren and wild. The city of Fort Icemist is another dominant powerhouse in this region, especially on the Helik Peninsula.

The truth is that the lords of those lands and cities only rule over what they can protect on year to year basis. Most of the other communities in this region are either highly independent or very mobile. Barbarian tribes are a mainstay across the Northlands and these tribes don't pay fealty to any of the "civilized" nations of the Northlands. In fact, they often raid them.

The barbarian tribes are most common throughout the Frigid Plains, the Novael Divide, and the Cold Barrens. They rarely live in one place for more than a month at a time, depending on the season. They move with the migrating herds of bison, caribou, and elk deer as well as mammoths, which are more rare. The barbarians of the Novael Divide are known for using large hunting cats to help bring down prey and are known for using dire beasts and/or smilodons as mounts.

The denizens of the large northern forests -- the Sival Forest and the Desinon Forest -- tend to be races/creatures other than human. Mainly silver 'wild' elves, icefoots (also known as northchild halflings), firbolgs, and frost giants. There are some half-elves living amongst the silver 'wilds' but they are rare.

Evil giants (ogres and worse), vile humanoids (degenerate orcs), and cold-based undead creatures dominate the Horrid Marsh and the northern half of the Sival Forest, and they also can be found throughout the Helik Peninsula to the east and sometimes even in the highest places in the Aragar Mountains. Conflict is commonplace amongst these creatures and the denizens of the cold forests of the Northlands.

Last edited by Knightfall on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:37 am

Shantil Peninsula Region
This region is dominated by the Desinon Forest, which covers almost all of the Shantil Peninsula. At the heart of the forest is Lake Desinon, a fresh water lake that is fed from the surrounding mountains, which rarely freezes over due to the natural hot springs/vents that bubble up from the lakebed. (The lake freezes over only when the temperature drops below -30° Celcius.)

The cold of the north combined with the heat from the heated underground water makes the Desinon Forest a contradiction of foliage, animals, monstrous denizens, and intelligent races. Silver 'wild' elves and firbolgs are common throughout the forest, which feels almost subtropical during the summer months. The Free City of Windwall is the heart of civilization in the forest and is ruled by a matriarchal oligarchy made up of firbolgs.

Windwall -- also known as The Forest City -- has a long-standing alliance with The Shielded Northlands, which sits on the eastern coast of the peninsula. Fort Shield and Windwall agreed to this mutual protection alliance to deter the machinations of the ruler of The Blasted Reach (another name for the Blightlands). Karvo Melunsar (NG human male, cleric [North Gods] 6/fighter 6) has ruled Fort Shield since its founding over twenty years ago. He is a devout follower of the North Gods and has worked hard to build his new monarchy into a force for good in the Northlands.

Besides the alliance with Windwall, The Shield King has aligned itself with Fort Tundra and Fort Icemist (trade alliance). Fort Tundra is an even newer city-state in the north; it has only existed for the last ten years. It's ruler, Lady Morwen Devonald (N human female, fighter 4/sorcerer4) relies heavily on the local clans that have sworn fealty to her as well as aid from Fort Shield and Dragon's Eye Reach. The Tundra Princess would prefer to keep Karvo as an ally, only, but she may be forced to formalize the alliance by marrying The Shield King's foppish son, Markos. (He, at least, is a handsome man for his age.)

Last edited by Knightfall on Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:38 am

Nashee Peninsula Region
This region, like the Shantil Peninsula Region, is dominated by a forest. Unlike with the other peninsula, this region is named for the forest. The name "Nashee" refers to a legendary race of tall, dark-skinned elves. Nashee is an word in the Barbarian tongue of the Northlands, which has several meanings -- "ancient," "tall," or "greatness."

The forest is also called Rmoahalnn, but only a few scholars in the nearby human lands know this name for the word is rarely spoken outside of the forest's interior. Those elves of legend aren't just legends. They are quite real and call themselves the Rmoahali. (This race is from the d20 system sourceboook known as Frost & Fur: The Explorer's Guide to the Frozen Lands by MonkeyGod Enterprises [p. 36].)

Remember! There are no drow on this campaign world and this race is NOT related to the drow race.

The rmoahali are an ancient race from another era. They lived in the Northlands long before the human barbarian tribes that now dominate the northern lands. Their kind walked the continent before the North God Cronn first appeared out of the mists of The Frozen North. They are ice age elves with powerful psionic abilities. They can stand as tall as twelve feet. They are also isolationists by their very nature. They consider most other races to be "primitives" with little to no culture.

The rmoahali control the Nashee Forest almost in its entirety. They must compete with the dwarves of Mount Vaag, the human settlers of Harlagren, the evil despot of Hoarfrost, and the citizens of Fort Tundra. The Dwarven Holds of Valag have the most information about the Nashee, but they rarely share this information with outsiders. The rmoahali have them at a disadvantage since the Nashee Forest nearly surrounds the entirety of Mount Vaag.

The dwarves have told the leaders of Harlagren to be wary of upsetting the ancient dark-skinned elves. (Valag and Harlagren have a tentative alliance.) Harlagren is a feudal patriarchy that is only slightly older than Fort Tundra. Its citizens migrated north shortly before the events of The Transformation. The city-state isn't much to look at and the rmoahali could destroy it without hardly any difficulty. However, the elves of the Nashee are more worried about a growing evil located in the north.

Hoarfrost is the real threat in this region. It is a city filled with evil intent. Hoarfrost is a feudal monarchy that has become a sore on the land. The City of Wretched Frost simply appeared one night, out of the mists. Most assume it is a Transformation city. What is known is that its vicious, enigmatic king has a thing for slaves and debauchery. The rmoahali do not believe that Hoarfrost is a Transformation city. They believe its people are originally from the Old Sword Imperium, far to the west. The truth is not yet known.

The citizens of Fort Tundra give the forest a wide berth and the barbarian tribes of the Northlands would never willing enter the forest. The tribes fear the legend of the Nashee and only a select few have ever entered the forest and returned. They never speak of what they saw. The ruler of Fort Tundra would love to sign an alliance with the forest's denizens; however, The Tundra Princess has no idea who or what truly lives in the depths of the forest.

her best chance for allies exists within the southern part of the forest where a group of Nashee elves has begun to reach out to several nearby communities including the City-state of Woodend (not shown on this map). The region known as The Trees of the Nashee has always been a hotbed of revolutionary ideas, and the rmoahali who live in the city known as Treetown (not shown on this map) have become fascinated with humans. They risk exposing all of the elves of the Nashee to the wider world.

This map is very out of date. - KF
Last edited by Knightfall on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Merge 4

Post by Knightfall » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:37 pm

I just added the description for the Nashee Peninsula Region.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:57 am

The Ragik Peninsula [West]
"The Empire of Swords." "The Sword Imperium." "The Sword Lands." "The Heart of the Imperiumi."

For longer then anyone can remember, the Ragik Peninsula has been the heart of evil on the continent. The Sword Gods, led by the Lord of Darkness, Hiisi, ruled over an empire sworn to spreading its dogma throughout the Lands of Harqual. The Imperiumi used its dark power to conquer more than half of Northern Harqual, an aggression that would span more than a millennium. This conflict with the followers of the North Gods would become known as the Mortals Wars (began -1,500 N.C. *).

NOTE: The conflict between the Sword Gods and North Gods during the same time period was called the Divinity War (began -1,250 N.C. *). In truth, the wars began as one war on Harqual, but the gods left for the Outer Planes when the devestation became too much for the mortal world to handle.

The Sword Emperors were the divine servants of the Sword Gods on the Material Plane. During the empire's Age of Inquistion, the line of Sword Emperors were demigods gifted with immortality by the Lord of Darkness. When the Divinity War ended and Hiisi was banished to Carceri (-252 N.C.), the power of the Sword Emperors was severly reduced. The Imperial House was soon rife with dissent and division. Assassinations became commonplace as the grasping members of the Imperiumi Family fought to claim the title of Emperor.

Despite the inner turmoil, the Empire of Swords was still a strong force for evil. The Mortals Wars continued on throughout Harqual. The Blades of the Emperor, the empire's elite soldiers, refused to give up the territories that they had fought, bled, and died for. The Imperial heirarchy quickly learned to govern without the divine insights of the Emperors. There was still the clerics and blackguards of the remaining Sword Gods.

It was Mussin's clergy that seized control of the religious hierarchy (-250 N.C.); although, the servants of the Lord of Disease couldn't control every aspect of religion in the Sword Imperium. They worked hard to wipe out the followers of Hiisi, which drove the clerics of the Lord of Darkness underground. Many of the followers of the Dark Children also refused to bend a knee to Mussin's clergy even though their deities had fallen in the Divinity War. The followers of Vespin, for example, began to assassinate anyone who they believed were disloyal to the Dark Father.

As time passed, the Mortals War ended (-225 N.C. *) and the Black Wars began (-200 N.C. *). The difference between the two wars was that the Black Wars was a more uncontrolled conflict that raged across the entire continent, reshaping (and/or destroying) what the Sword Imperium had built. Warlords fought over city-states and nameless borders. Destruction became all that humanity could hope for as old enemies renewed old hatreds and old allies betrayed each other.

On the Ragik Peninsula, the various factions of the Imperial House tore apart what was left of the Old Sword Imperium. They divided the region into petty dictatorships and decadent sovereignties. The Sword Emperors became less powerful with each passing decade. In the worst of times, the Sword Lands existed without an emperor or any sort of rule of law. Those with any sort of power simply held on to it through force and mayhem. The Blades of the Emperors tried in vain to hold everything together.

The Black Wars ended in early 448 N.C.; however, the Ragik Peninsula never recovered. The ogre scions and their kin came for humanity the very next year as the First Ogre War took over the continent. Humanity barely hung on and in the Ragik Peninsula, millions died, as the elite sacrificed their followers in order to appease the ogre hordes. (The peninsula has the largest population of half-ogres on the planet as a result.) In 551 N.C., the First Ogre War ended and the region gained it first break from war since the Black Wars began. The poor and helpless either fled the region or banded together while the rich and greedy continued to bicker with each other.

This continued on until the Second Ogre War began (701 N.C.). The peninsula fell into uncontrolled chaos once more, which lasted a decade beyond the end of the war. (The Second Ogre War ended in 717 N.C.)

Then came The Transformation in the Year of the Return (749 N.C.). It was a change that would rock the Ragik Peninsula to its very core.

To be continued...
Last edited by Knightfall on Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:51 am, edited 15 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:58 am

The Ragik Peninsula [East]
Before 749 N.C., the Ragik Peninsula was a region in turmoil, yet it was united in a cloak of darkness. Evil ruled the peninsula whether it was wild evil or ordered evil (or somewhere in between).

The Transformation
The Transformation. The event shook the Lands of Harqual. A magical fog/mist engulfed the continent from the Northlands to the Far South. The Transformation was a planar conjuction. It was a mystical rift between worlds. Its cause is still unknown.

What is known is that for an entire week the Lands of Harqual remained cloaked in a haze that hid chaos unleashed. Entire regions of the continent shifted. City-states and towns disappeared into the mists never to be seen again while others were transported to Harqual from other worlds. In some cases, people disappeared screaming but more often, they simply vanished in eerie silence.

Even the continent's geography changed. Entire tracts of land disappeared or transformed entirely. Entire sections of Northlands eastern coast changed overnight. In the southern lands, the Nebral Peninsula, often considered barren outside the forest known as the Merewood, has been energized since The Transformation. The land has come alive, often in frightening ways. Fey are appearing on that peninsula.

The number of changes that occurred have not been cataloged yet. However, one change stands out above the rest. The appearance of the Rilous Mountains (and the Dadran Forest) on the Ragik Peninsula.

The Transformation on the Ragik Peninsula
Before the Transformation, the southern half of the Ragik Peninsula was much like the northern half. A collection of dark forests, rugged hills, and tempermental city-states and domains. Toraa Bagul and The Soreney Domain were the region's powerhouses, such as they were. For over a thousand years, the citizens of these two lands were dominated by their northern neighbors. After the chaos of the Second Ogre War ended, however, the two Imperial provinces began to come into their own.

The ports of Soreney were infamous pirate havens; the ship captains that called those ports home preyed on the city-states of the Sword Gulf Region to the southeast (not shown on map). The city-states of Toraa Bagul, which had been fractured and forgotten by the rest of the peninsula, were trying desperately to unite under a single warlord. If the region had progressed the way it had been unfolding, life would be very different on the peninsula's southern shores.

The Transformation, thankfully, changed everything. Fate intervened.

After the mists lifted, a new mountain range appeared out of the haze. The Ragik Peninsula had always been a rugged place but true mountains were non-existent. The appearance of the Rilous Mountains was a shock for everyone in the region. Half of Toraa Bagul disappeared while almost all of Soreney's communities vanished or were buried under the mountains. The citizens living off the land were the luckiest; most of them were simply displaced into the hills surrounding the new mountain range.

Now, the appearance of the mountains (and the forest to the south) would have been a boon for those left except for the people who already lived there. The land that would become known as the Kingdom of Ahamudia was a country of men, elves, dwarves, and gnomes that had never heard of the Empire of Swords. Therefore, when the Blades of the Emperor came to claim this new territory, the Ahamudians fought back. The short but brutal war that followed saw the rise of Ahamudia, the fall of the Old Sword Lands, and a new alliance that brought about the formation of what is known as the Sword Protectorate on the northwestern coast of the Ragik Peninsula.

That's the simple explanation of what happened.

The detailed version of the events in the region that occured after The Transformation would be a thread all its own...

The Kingdom of Ahamudia
The land now known as the Kingdom of Ahamudia was "duplicated" on Harqual during the Month of Thorn of 749 N.C. The citzens of Ahamudia are still struggling to survive on the World of Kulan and to make matters worse, many of their fellow citizens weren't "duplicated" during The Transfromation.

The Javeldians (as the citizens of Ahamudia often call themselves) come from a dark world called Maran, where evil rules almost everywhere. On that world, their goodly kingdom was known as Javeldos. Those Javeldians not "duplicated" on Kulan soon realized something awful had happened as their fellows simply vanished overnight. This mass teleport-like effect included members of the Royal House of Javeldos including the King and Queen. (Only their youngest son was left behind to defend the kingdom from its enemies.)

The citizenry of Ahamudia is made up of not only humans, but also unique races of elves, gnomes, and dwarves. The dwarves and gnomes of the Rilous Mountains collectively call themselves the Bitran while the elves refer to themselves as the Aphranæn. These demihumans are considered full citizens of the Kingdom of Ahamudia; although, they prefer to remain isolated. However, they have quickly endeared themselves to the elves of the Great Forest and the dwarves of the Greystone Mountains.

The City of Eberel is the transplanted kingdom's capital city, while the City of Halonnan is named after the "new" King. (The old king and most of his family returned to Javeldos on Maran to help rebuild that kingdom.) King Loghan Halonnan [NG male human, cleric 10/sentinel 5 (Cronn)] is married to the old King's daughter, and he has become very popular amongst the "people" of the Ragik Peninsula, due to his involvement in the war that saw the death of the last Sword Emperor.

Hutaalar is home to a reclusive race of jackel-headed humanoids known as Hutaakans. This race is also from Maran; although, the Javeldians weren't aware of their presence in the mountain range until the Hutaakans revealed themselves after the war with the Empire of Swords, which is a matter of contention amongst the citizens of Ahamudia.

Bitran is the capital of the dwarf/gnome domain of the same name. The Bitran consider themselves independent from the Kingdom of Ahamudia but the truth is that the two lands are such close allies that the Domain of Bitran is considered a vassal state to the forested kingdom, especially since the transference to Kulan. The Gnome-King of the Bitran, Kaergaer Herljanvar (LN male gnome (Bitran), fighter 8), is even considering formalizing such a vassalage and changing his title to "Prince."
Last edited by Knightfall on Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:01 am, edited 7 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:03 am

Greystone Mountains Region
As its name indicates, this region is dominated by the Greystone Mountains. This expansive range of mountains is 85% dwarven. (In ages past it use to be as much as 95% dwarven.)

Now, competition/conflict with other humanoids has severely depleted the resources of the Kingdom of the Greystones, which is the dominant dwarven kingdom on the continent. There has always been a friendly rivalry between the dwarves of the Greystones and the silver elves of the Kingdom of the Silver Leaves. The Transformation and other recent events have pushed this competition to new heights. The elves have expanded more into the south half of the Greystones, which has not been well received by the thanes of the Greystones.

The High Thane of the dwarven metropolis and capital city of Milo, Sannl Blackforge (LN female high dwarf, aristocrat 8/warrior 8), began restricting access to the dwarven cities/delves (much to the chagrin of those who would do business with the dwarven kingdom) soon after her father died during an attack on Milo. "Her Thunderous Monarch" has been a just but firm ruler since inheriting her title.

This region also shows the heart of many of the traditional barbarian tribes on Harqual, the Twilight Valley. This huge valley has always been dominated by barbarians and the valley has a thriving, if not somewhat crude, civilization. Outsiders are rarely welcome, unless they are a proven friend/ally of a Twilight barbarian. The valley is surrounded, on all sides, by a network of hills as well as the Verge Mountains. These highlands are hotly contested.

Just north of the Greystones lies a desert known as the Cold Barrens. This region lives up to its name and is filled with barbarian tribes and wandering monsters. Even here, however, there is civilization. The Archbishopric of Coldstone dominates the southern part of the desert as well as the northern edge of the Greystones. And, Muirmaer is a land of giants that controls the northern edge of the desert, as well as the hills and mountains that separate the desert from the rest of the Northlands.

Last edited by Knightfall on Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:51 am

Near North Region
Before the events of The Transformation, the Near North was considered more of a no-man's-land.

The region surrounding Lake Gem was inhabited by wild animals, dangerous monsters, and scattered barbarian tribes. The few cities built in the region never seemed to last. Only the dwarven holds in the surrounding hillside (and one of two elven towns) seemed immune to this enigmatic apathy. It was whispered that the region was under the divine protection of some powerful spirit of nature.

The Wind Plains are known for being home to nomads and horsemen yet there are also city-states and towns. These communities are linked by tradition and a mutual fear of the machinations of the new king of Thallin, to the south. Yet, there are few roads here and sense of windswept freedom.

The Lashee Divide is a cold flat-land that divides the civilized lands of the Principality of the Shining Stones from the hills and forests of the Nashee. Its emptiness makes the Wind Plains seem like the heart of the civilized world. There are only a handful of stable communities between the City at Wood's End and the city-state of Varra.

One cannot talk about cold desolation without pointing out the Cold Barrens. This frozen desert lives up to its name and then some. It isn't lifeless but it is harsh and unforgiving. It is the epitome of a subarctic desert. The barbarian tribes that live here do so because they have no choice. They are outcasts that once worshiped the evil god known as Xuar. When The Jealous Arcane betrayed the North Gods, these tribes were forces to flee into the frigid wastes of the desert.

Life in this region would likely have remained much the same if not for The Transformation.

Kingdom of Jewels
After the mists of The Transformation receded from the Near North, six city-states and twice as many towns and villages stood around Lake Gem. Each city-state supposedly came from a unique material plane. Four of the city-states (Dalyvar, Felyer, Halle and Vull) were dominated by humans while the other two city-states (Alithton and Stonevale) were dominated by two unique races -- the Siarrans and the Niomus, respectively.

Thrown into an alternate world with no connections to their past lives, the denizens of these diverse communities were forced to band together in order to survive. Like the Kingdom of Ahamudia on the Ragik Peninsula, the new city-states of Lake Gem had to defend themselves from those surrounding them. The most aggressive of these foes has been The Gleaming Prince, Lord Augustus Gault (LN male human, aristocrat 10), the ruler of Principality of the Shining Stones. War has never been officially declared, but the conflicts that are fought on a yearly basis are brutal and bloody.

Luckily, the thanes of the Greystones didn't feel as threatened by the new city-states as the Shining Principality's ruler. A trade alliance has brought the city-state important resources and a strong ally on Harqual. It has also provided the city-states with some legitimacy. High Thane Sannl Blackforge helped broker the alliance that brought about the official declaration of the lands surrounding Lake Gem as a kingdom. This has put the High Thane and Lord Augustus at odds with each other; the two lands were strong allies before The Transformation.

The newly formed Kingdom of Jewels has also forged a tentative alliance with the Archbishopric of Coldstone. However, the new kingdom's strong ties to the dwarves of the Greystones has limited the success of diplomacy with Coldstone.

Regardless, the future of the region might depend on whether or not the city-states will remain allies or turn on each other due to the constant infighting. Each city-state has its own king and noblity. While many look to the siarrans of Alithton for leadership, there are strong forces amongst the human-dominated city-states that want a human as the kingdom's ruler. The kingdom's charter calls for the naming of one of the kings as high king. So far, the arguing (and backbiting) has prevented this from happening. (Alithton has been named the capital city, for now.)

The siarran king, Allarur Cakrellas (NG male siarran, fighter 10), isn't sure if he wants to be the first high king. He would be honored to claim the title, but he believes it is in the best interest of his people and everyone else that each king be allowed a chance to petition to become high king. The niomus of Stonevale are pushing for Allarur to be high king, which has put a strain on nonhuman-human relations.

Many believe that a civil war is inevitable.

Last edited by Knightfall on Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:41 am, edited 4 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:44 pm

The Dual Seas Region
This region is dominated by the island chain that extends from Calla Island to the barren island known as Frey. The western edge of these islands are known as the Honored Islands and are strongly tied to the Kingdom of Navirosov, which controls Calla. The remainder of the island chain is a wild region with isolated communities and seafaring tribes.

The bulk of the various island communities are sea ports dominated by pirates with the city-state of Thunderport being the most infamous. Thunderport is not a place for the faint of heart. It is considered a kakistocracy — a government by the least qualified or most unprincipled citizens. In Thunderport's case, "unprincipled" is the word. Immorality is commonplace and its citizens turn on each other almost as much as they do their seafaring victims.

Thunderport's main rival in the region is the hidden city-state on the island of Uralt. The city is called Uraltia but that name is the one given to the city by the citizens of Thunderport. The denizens of Uralt are a bit of a mystery but the rumor is that the island is rife with werebeasts. What is known is that beasts and monsters are a common sight along the forested island's shoreline.

The rest of the Untamed Isles (as they are often called) around Blackhound and Uralt are a mixture of barren rocks and windswept shores. The larger islands are home to tribes of humanoids such as humans, islander elves, kobolds, and the dragontouched. These races must not only deal with pirates but also with the ogres tribes that live on some of the larger islands.

And then there is Frey to the south and the various islands to the north — the Tiele Islands and the Isle of Mist.

Frey is unique in that it is a growing law-abiding civilization in the wilds of the Karmine Sea. The Domain of Frey is a thalassocracy made up of seven major cities (its capital, Weife, is major port city) and dozens of other shoreline communities. The island's interior is a harsh place dominated by low mountains and salt flats. Freiians leave these desolate areas to such creatures as the powerful tauric race known as the dracovarans and the goblinoid race known as the bhuka.

The Tiele Islands, like the Untamed Isles, are known for being feral but that wasn't always the case. Before the events of The Transformation, Harqual's coastline stretched from Acheos to Port Tiele to where the ruins of Tih'bin now sit. The region was settled by roaming tribes and a few walled towns most of which either disappeared into the mists or were displaced onto the mainland.

The Free City of Tiele is the one community of note that was left relatively unscathed although it did lose a few allied forts and steadings. It is another city of miscreants and thieves. In the past, when it was connected to the continent, the city was known mainly as a city of vices and banditry. Now, as it sits alone on the dominant island of a new island chain named for the city, Tiele has become more of a port city than it was before The Transformation. The process has been painful but it has also changed the culture of the city. It is still a kleptocracy; however, it isn't as dominated by vice as it was before the mists changed Harqual.

Tiele was lucky; the area around Tih'bin wasn't.

Caer Tih'bin, or the Ruins of the Mist, didn't exist on Harqual before The Transformation. It's appearance has had only minimal impact on the region. It is avoided by the local tribes of The Northlands; however, it has become a destination of choice for adventurers who have heard about it (especially from Woodend and Arkhangel). Many have tried to enter the mysterious ruins but most return home frustrated. Tih'bin remains an enigma. The shoreline around the ruins are always shrouded in mists, which unnerves most visitors.

And with good reason.

The area is haunted by what can only be called spirits of the past. Adventurers report seeing ghost-like visages of people and places that are there but aren't there. These apparitions are usually harmless, but they are very unsettling to witness and interact with. There are undead "things" in the region, however, which only adds to the mystery. Plus, every once in a while, Tih'bin spits out strange monsters that can only be described as horrors of madness. Wizards who have visited the ruins suspect that Tih'bin is connected to either the Region of Dreams or the Far Realms. Or even both.

The last place of note on this map is the Isle of Mist. Unlike the area around Tih'bin, the island, or more appropriately, the legend of the island has existed since the earliest days of the continent's known history. Most agree that the island is real since so many people have seen it. However, very few have been able to visit the island and returned to tell about it. The legend of the island is that it is home to a race of fey elves that are connected more to the Faerie plane than to the World of Kulan. No one knows for certain but those that have come back from the mist shrouded isle speak is shushed whispers of a nirvana-like city called Xulvana where the ancient past walks alive and well. When asked for more, these privileged few refuse to say more; they simply smile and go about their day happily. Even threats do not work on these eerily happy souls.

Last edited by Knightfall on Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:58 pm

Teverroot Island Region
The island of Teverroot is dominated by two evil kingdoms. The first is The Dark Kingdom of the Jealous Arcane, which is a theocratic monarchy dedicated to the evil Sword God known as Xuar. This evil kingdom is dedicated completely to the Jealous Arcane and his teachings. Only the worship of the other Sword Gods is tolerated here.

The kingdom is ruled by a powerful family of cleric/necromancers and it is divine law that only a member of the Popescu Family can occupy The Jealous Throne. The current King is Mitica Popescu II, The Voice of Xuar (NE male demigod [DvR 1], cleric of Xuar 10/necromancer 10). King Popescu II's title is literal as well as spiritual. He is Xuar to the world, and the Dark Kingdom is physically linked to Xuar's godly realm, Dark Rite, in the Grey Waste.

The second evil kingdom on Teverroot Island is the the land known as The Gray Mountains of Duergold. The Gray Mountains are completely dominated by the duergar and they live in an uneasy peace with the citizens of the Dark Kingdom. This peace is due more to the threat of the morlocks of the Underearth than to any mutual appeal to each other, however. The gray dwarves of Duergold dream of a day when they can destroy the morlocks and spread their kingdom back into the depths of the Underearth.

The current "Priest-King" is Lord Morkus Zolavar (LE male duergar, cleric of Laduguer8/fighter 8), and he rules Duergold absolutely in the divine name of Laduguer. Lord Zolavar doesn't suffer fools around him and is ruthless to his enemies both external and internal. Many in the kingdom wish to forego the idea of returning to the Underearth, en masse, to wage another war against the morlocks, and there have been several attempts on Morkus's life. None have ever come close to succeeding, as the Priest-King is as paranoid and he is powerful.

The map of this region also shows another "vile" kingdom known as The Kingdom of the Vicious Wave. This island kingdom controls the entire chain of islands known as the Vile Islands, and the denizens of this thalassocracy live up to their kingdom's name in every sense of the phrase "vicious wave." They are ruthless pirates and scallywags both above and under the sea.

The kingdom is dominated by humans and evil aquatic races such as kuo-toa, merrow, sahuagin, etc. They consider all outsiders to be their enemies, even the citizens of the Dark Kingdom. The Vile Wavites, as their often called by outsiders, have several communities along the southern coast of Teverroot, but these fortified communities are always under attack by the soldiers of the Dark Kingdom. This war of evil vs. evil is the only thing keeping the Dark Kingdom from dominating the entire lowland region of the island, and from spreading their evil to the mainland.

Beyond the Gray Mountains, there are two other distinctive areas worth noting on Teverroot. The Hills of the Dead is where the citizens of the Dark Kingdom go when they die. Most are simply entombed, but the blessed few are granted undeath and set as guardians of said tombs, and other things in the hills best left unsaid.

Truly powerful servants of Xuar are granted "true death" in the Order of the Undead, which is made up of powerful death knights, liches, and vampires. These knights of pure evil are charged with protecting the kingdom from servants of gods of light and the like. The followers of the North God known as Jalivier are particularly hated by members of the Order.

The other major natural feature is the region known as the Plains of Clay. This region is where most of the Dark Kingdom's more "neutral" citizens are forced to live and work. The region is known for its ruddy soil and harsh conditions. It is also where the Kingdom of the Vicious Wave is trying to sow dissent. It is hoped, by the Vile Wavites that the City of Juitia will secede from the Dark Kingdom and join The Vile Thalassocracy.

So far, the Order of the Undead has retained control of the disgrunted city, but some believe it is only a matter of time, as the Vile Wavites continue to invoke dissent amongst the populace of said city.

Last edited by Knightfall on Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:56 pm

I've now added a description for The Ragik Peninsula [West]. It's really a "part one" of two. :D
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:28 pm

I've just begun writing the description for The Ragik Peninsula [East]. This will detail how the peninsula changed after The Transformation. I will also be going into detail about The Kingdom of Ahamudia, The Sword Lands, and anything else that coems to mind.

But right now, the 2010 NHL Draft is about to start.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:19 am

The description for the The Ragik Peninsula [East] is now 2/3rd's done. It won't be as detailed as I had hoped, but it will have a section for The Kingdom of Ahamudia.

I should point out that Ahamudia is my version of the Kingdom of Karameikos on Kulan. Note that my version has no direct link to Mystara, however. Ahamudia was transported to Kulan from another campaign world I created, Dark World.

KF
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:38 am

Knightfall wrote:The description for the The Ragik Peninsula [East] is now 2/3rd's done. It won't be as detailed as I had hoped, but it will have a section for The Kingdom of Ahamudia.
Which is now finished. :D
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Map Merge

Post by Knightfall » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:58 am

I've just started writing the description for the Near North Region. Plus, here's another one of my regional maps...

Sword Gulf Coast
The Sword Gulf Coast is known for it's tragic past and strange diversity. A lot of this region didn't fair well during the First and Second Ogre Wars (not to mention the Black Wars before then). The hardest hit areas were those of the Hawk Plains, Savage Hills, and Wild Plains. Hundreds of communities in the region were ruined during the wars, which is how the Ruined March got its name.

In recent years, the region has recovered, but slowly. Three main communities survived the onslaught of the Ogre Wars — Halandra, Metan, and Nikel. What is now Onaway didn't survive the onslaught, but it has been reclaimed and rebuilt over the years. In the last few decades, it has it become a true city again. More than that, the City of Onaway has grown to become the capitial of a politically-savvy land known as The Onan Territories. Its ruler is a well-respected (some would say feared) man named Than LaMarche (LN male human, fighter 11/cleric of Aegir 9).

At the same time, the City of Nikel expanded to dominate the central part of the Savage Hills, which has become known as the Domain of Shadows. Nikel would have dominated all of the Savage Hills if not for the influence of Metan and Halandra. Over the decades, those two city-states have kept the Domain of Shadows in check. The City in Shadows must tread carefully with Metan since that city-state controls access to the Sword Gulf and it must be very careful not to upset the powerful arcanists of Halandra.

The Barony of Poli and the County of Valeny were built on the ashes of the ruined communities of the Wild Plains, but that's all they have in common with each other. Poli is known for its oppresive government and power hungry patriarch while Valeny is a traditional monarchy that is ruled by a good-hearted half-elven king.

The lands surrounding the central lands of this region fared somewhat better during the years of war, in the fact that what was destroyed rebounded quickly (or wasn't destroyed at all). North of Onaway, several communities banded together to form what has become known as the Jovian Alliance. The City of Steins became the land's capital, and its ruler is known as Catalina Maddalena (NE female stone jovian, barbarian 7/fighter 7). (A jovian is a half-giant.)

South of the Wild Plains and Savage Hills, a group of independent communities, city-states, and small kingdoms managed to survive the onslaught of the wars. These communities helped each other but kept their independence from each other. The most powerful of these communities was the city-state known as Avion, which is located on the coast. Avion allied itself with other city-states in the region, including Ambian, Gillian, Ilasi, Nasundria, and Valora.

All of these cities have remained steadfast allies, for the most part. The City of Ilasi joined Avion to create a new kingdom known as the Monarchy of Avion while the city-state known as Valora remained semi-independant up until its destruction (by the tabaxi) during the Year of the Return.

The city-state known as Nasundria formed its own lordship known as the Aerie Holds and fiercely refused to accept any outside interference in how its lands were governed. (The conflict with the tabaxi forced the citizens of the Aerie Holds to accept aid [and a stronger alliance] from The Monarchy, however.) Both Ambian and Gillian remain independent city-states, and they aren't as tight-knit with the Monarchy of Avion as they once were. There is still a lot of respect, but as the years go by, societal differences have brought about a cooling off, diplomatically.

Two other cities should be noted on this map.

The first city is Cadra City, the capitial of the Forest Domain of Cadra. The Cadra Domain, as it is also called, is a traditional monarchy made up of the elven, fey, and halfling communities of the Cadra Forest and Crystal Cairns. It is not as old or well-known as the Kingdom of the Silver Leaves (far to the northeast) but that is how the land's people prefer it. The Cadra Domain is on good terms with both the Aerie Holds and the Monarchy of Avion, but the goodwill only goes so far.

The second city is Shaule, the captial of the Principality of Shaule. This city and it's surrounding communities are not really considered part of the Sword Gulf Region even though it is just south of the Cadra Forest. Shaule is known for its lawful ruler, Prince Winston Hallet (LN male half-elf, aristocrat 10/cleric of Dike 10), who is a steadfast follower of the Interloper Goddess known as Dike. The City of Shaule is the major community that sits on the River Plains, and it is worth noting that the city doesn't have a wall to protect it. The city's defenders have always been so well trained that a wall was never needed. However, since the return of the tabaxi, the prince has begun the process of building a defensive wall, just in case.

Last edited by Knightfall on Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:02 pm

Overview of the Great Forest
The Great Forest of Harqual. This expansive forest stretches from the southern edge of the Greystone Mountains to the northern shore of Lake Qualitian. In between are the traditional homelands of the silver and forest elves of Harqual.

The Kingdom of the Silver Leaves is the primary homeland of the silver elves. This kingdom dominates the Great Forest on the northern and western side of Lake Silverleaf, which is also considered silver elf territory. In truth, the lake isn't controlled by the elves in-so-much as it is protected by them. The kingdom's ruler, the High One of the Silver Leaves, is a veteran of both ogre wars. Menkhar Silversun (NG male silver elf, sorcerer 8/ranger 8/wild soul 10) is a hero to his people and one of the most famous elves on the continent.

Far to the south of Silverleaf is the fallen homeland of the forest elves. This region, until recently, has always been known as the Knotwood. It included all the forested lands south of the Deep Hold Hills. Woodknot was the capitial city and the forest elves preferred to keep to themselves. However, as more and more of their youngsters chose to explore the wider world, the Elders of the Knotwood felt that their way of life was in danger of being lost. They called a retreat into the lands surrounding Lake Knot and forbid their people from leaving the forest.

This forced isolation turned out to be a huge mistake. A power hungry wizard (some believe he was actually a warlock) took it upon himself to attempt a coup. He cast several vile spells that warped him and his apprentices. The corrupted magic he used broke his mind; he tried to summon a demon to do his bidding. The spell backfired and the demon tried to take over his soul. The end result was a dark merging that created a new fey'ri demon lord. This being used its new powers to corrupt the Knotwood with vile magicks unspoken on Harqual since the days of the demigod Sword Emperors.

The resulting corruption twisted the Knotwood and dozens of forest elf clans. These twisted mockeries of elven life would become known as blood elves. The few forest elves that fled the region to avoid being transformed eventually made their way to the Kingdom of the Silver Leaves. Many of them remain in Silverleaf to this day, exiles of a despoiled homeland that they can never hope to reclaim. Others have found solace in the Wild Treelands amongst the silver 'wilds' and feytouched that dominate that region. A bold few have settled in the Lands of the Loch Folk and seek to bloody the blood elves and demons of the Blood Elf Lands.

The Lands of the Loch Folk is a wild place that makes the Wild Treelands seem tame. The region is full of powerful fey creatures of all sorts and can be considered to be The Faerie Realm manifest on Harqual. Powerful sidhe lords rule this region and even the blood elves fear the power of the denizens of this forested fey dominion. There isn't any peace between the two regions but there is a cold respect that exists.

On the edge of this region is Caer Amylinyon. This swamp is filled with trolls, hags, and worse. Once, long ago, Amylinyon was the fabled land of the gray elves. It is said that the kingdom was destroyed sometime during the Black Wars, and that the gray elves were betrayed by one of their own. Now, this region spawns half-troll monstrosities, half-fey beasts of legend, and all kinds of ogrekin. Many believe there is an open portal to an insidious plane of existence that continues to spew out new forms of monstrous life.

The citizens of Rivenwood (and the rest of the Eastern Shores) live in constant fear of the Caer and its denizens. It is rumored that the blood elves have taken an interest in locating the lost capitial city of Amylinyon, which does not bode well for anyone living on either side of the twisted swampland.

Last edited by Knightfall on Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:46 am

I just finished the rest of the description for the Near North Region.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:56 am

Added the description for the Overview of the Great Forest.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Map Merge 2

Post by Knightfall » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:36 am

I wrote a description for this regional overview a long time ago. It is very out of date. Therefore, I'm going to write a new description for it from scratch. But not tonight. - KF

EDIT: Hmm, I guess I never did write that description. Either that or I lost it. Oh well, the region has changed so much since I created the first overview map that it needs a new description, regardless.

The Eastern Shores
This is where it all started. Harqual began in this region. In fact, the world began here as well even though Triadora existed long before Harqual and Kulan did. However, that's another story...

My 2E campaign began in the Eastern Shores in the Duchy of Minar (then called Mulcrow). The heroes of that campaign are now known as The Companions — Bactra Redwind, Dabuk Tigerstorm, Jeddar Silversun, Dvalin Thunderstone, and Mesik Tindertwig. Those were the original members of the adventuring group.

Since the end of that campaign, I have expanded the region by leaps and bounds and it remains one of my favorite regions for the Lands of Harqual. Minar, Stonn, Thallin, and Wolffire are still the cornerstone "kingdoms" of the Eastern Shores, but the other lands of the region have become important as well. I will go over each land in brief.

Ambra
The Principality of Ambra is small kingdom that sits on the very end of the Jagged Peninsula. Its capital city is Sunwater and its ruler is Princess Ionela Sandulescu [LN female human, Ftr10]. The principality only has three other towns of note, so it barely qualifies as a true kingdom. Regardless, its strong ties with the Kingdom of Stonn keeps it from being preyed on by larger lands in the region. Pirates are a bit of an issue for Ambrans, however, since the coastal land is so close to the pirate havens on Athien Island, Blackhound, and the Samuanel Islands.

Ambra came about after I decided to place a homebrewed version of Castle Amber on Harqual. Castle Ambra will be based on the old school module (I need to reacquire a copy) but it will likely be changed significantly for my world.

The Belt
If Ambra is small then the Belt is tiny. Yet, the Belt (or Qualitian Belt) has some of the most fertile lands in the Eastern Shores. Farming is the way of life in the Belt. Raln is the capital and the only city (just under 6,900). The other rural communities barely equal over 5,000 combined. A ruling council of clan and racial leaders control the Belt but the true power resides with the clergy of the Daghdha. (The Nature Lord is the patron god of the Belt.) In truth, this rural land is a protectorate of the Duchy of Minar. (In the past, the Belt suffered under the predations of bandits and warlords.)

Highborn Lands
Long before there was the treaty that formed the Eastern Council, the High Forest was the demesne of the elves and fey of Artesia. For centuries, the denizens of the High Forest have remained aloof from the surrounding lands. Only when human expansion threatened to fall every tree surrounding Lake Thallin did the Highborn become more involved in the politics of the region. In recent years, the leader of the Highborn, Emninrieman [N male treant, Drd10], has agreed to a military alliance with the citizens of The Highlands to the north. Relations with Minar are cordial but unofficial, and the Highborn remain isolated from Stonn and Wolffire. While the Highborn are mainly elves and fey, there are halflings and humans living in this forested land.

Highlands
The Highlands is a land in turmoil. Ruled by a clan council, this rough and tumble collection of communities is growing rapidly. Since the end of the Thallin Civil War, the Highlands has seen an influx of new citizens. Several of Thallin's westernmost communities, including the city of Cabaret, seceded from the kingdom during its civil war and petitioned to join the Highlands. At first, the Highlands Clan Council rejected them, but as the war progressed and King Varath Dragonguard's evil and madness became apparent, the council soon realized that if they didn't help the rebellious communities then King Varath would likely turn his evil hordes on the Highlands next, regardless. The town of Aurora remains the land's capital even though Cabaret is larger by over 1,000 souls. The Highlands population is mainly human but there are an increasingly number of demihumans living in the region (i.e. refugees).

Besides the military alliance with the Highborn Lands, the Highlands Clan Council has struck a trade alliance with Minar.

Minar
Back in the day, Minar was known as Mulcrow. That name was from a DUNGEON Magazine adventure called "Rudwilla's Stew." I built Minar from that adventure and the duchy has been an obsession of mine ever since.

Minar is ruled by Duke Jace Brookwater, The Singing Monarch [NG male human. Brd8/Lyric Thaumaturge10]. The duke's title is dependent on his ability to continue to win The Tournament, which is held every five years.

However, life has become a lot more complicated in Minar after the recent war against the bugbear tribes of the Sunus Mountains. Minar, with the aid of Wolffire, won the war but the scars the conflict left on the duchy are significant. The Tournament feels outdated to many and there is a growing movement to have the Brookwater Family officially made the Royal Family of Minar. As to be expected, this new idea is causing some inner turmoil.

Minar is mixture of many races including elves, halflings, and dwarves as well as humans. The capital is Minar City (9,220) and more than a dozen other communities including the city of Tian (8,900). With the sundering of the Eastern Council as an official alliance, Minar has tuned to other regions for allies. The duchy has a military alliance with the Strandlands to the south. However, the Barony of Wolffire, on the other side of the Sunus Mountains, remains a strong military ally, as well. Relations with Stonn remain cool and relations with Thallin are volatile.

Shadow Magocracy
The Shadow Magocracy is a mystery. It is a vassal state of the Kingdom of Stonn and its capital is the hidden forest town of Asantyl. Its leaders are known only as The Five. It is a land shrouded in magic and shadow. Outsiders who are not from Stonn are almost never welcome and even those from Stonn tread carefully here.

There are rumors that The Five have created several permanent magical portals that lead directly to the Shadowstar Sea, to an unknown outer plane, or even to Sigil. It is whispered that they wish to resurrect a powerful Old God.

Stonn
The Kingdom of Stonn is now the powerhouse of the Eastern Shores after the fall from grace of the Kingdom of Thallin. This suits the citizenry of Stonn just fine. They have always considered Thallin to be a land of upstarts and rogues even though they respected Thallin's former king, Travaithian Dragonguard. The Silent Lady [LN female human, Clr10 (Inanna)/Wiz10], on the other hand, sees the corruption of Thallin as a great loss to the stability for the region.

Relations between the two kingdoms is overtly hostile. Thallin is waging a clandestine war against the citizenry of Stonn and many believe it is only a matter of time before war is declared. The Silent Lady knows she needs allies beyond the shores of the Jagged Peninsula and has made offers of friendship to the rulers of the Highlands, Wind Cities, and the Kingdom of Navirosov. So far, she has had little luck beyond the well wishes of her peers.

The kingdom's capital is Stonn City (27,000), and its official state deity is Inanna. However, the Church of Inanna doesn't hold as much power over the country as it once did. Yes, the kingdom remains a Feudal Theocracy, but it isn't an oppressive theocracy. All of the North Gods are honored in Stonn (especially Cull and Hades) and many of the Interloper Gods have gained a strong following in this kingdom (especially Dike).

Stonn is the oldest existing kingdom in the Eastern Shores.

Thallin
The Kingdom of Thallin recently went through a bloody civil war after the death of King Travaithian Dragonguard. His son, Varath, ascended to the throne and quickly outlawed demihumans, worship of the North Gods, made Nether (the Sword God of Hate and Tyranny) the patron deity of the kingdom, and proceeded to commit genocide against demihumans both inside and outside of Thallin's borders.

Chaos ensued. The populace rebelled. King Varath [NE male human, Ari5/Clr15 (Nether)] reorganized the military to include evil humanoids and giants. Ogres, in particular. His actions tore Thallin apart and dissolved the Treaty of Lake Nest amongst the member states of the Eastern Council. The city of Cabaret (and its surrounding communities) seceded from the kingdom. The king marched his forces against the rebellious city and laid siege to it for the duration of the war. In the end, the kingdom's forces were unable to win and hold the insurgent region. The war ended and the expatriated communities joined the Highlands.

For King Varath, however, the war never ended. He simply withdrew so that he could rebuild his forces and find a more productive way to conquer his enemies. Now, he has begun a battle of wits with The Silent Lady of Stonn and looks to gain new allies in his fight for the glory of The Black Tyrant. He has already struck a bargain with the Black Kingdom of the Thunder Orcs.

He is mad.

Thallin's capitial is the city of Fruen (20,600). The kingdom's population is now dominantly human as demihumans have fled the region rather than risk facing the Fury of the Dragon (the new elite soldiers of Thallin) as well as the priests of Nether's Deathtide. The rest of the population is made up of goblins, ogres, tri-clops, and a growing number of half-fiends. Half-ogres are slowly becoming more common in Thallin.

All of the Sword Gods are worshiped in Thallin now. The North Gods and many of the good- or neutral-aligned Interloper Gods are outlawed.

Wind Cities
The Lands of the Cities of the Wind dominate the Wind Plains that divide the Eastern Shores from the Greystone Mountains and the Lake Gem Region to the North. The Wind Cities are an alliance of city-states that form a loose confederacy. The region is ruled by a council made up the rulers of the city-states and headed by a chancellor. This man or woman is elected every five years; however, since the events of The Transformation, there hasn't been a chancellor who has lived through the full term. They keep getting assassinated and no one knows by whom. Many suspect the backbiting rulers of the Kingdom of Jewels but no proof has been able to be divined. Others suspect a cult dedicated to the Dead Sword God, Vespin.

The region's capital is the city of Alavar (15,000). The population is very mixed and religion varies from city-state to city-state. The Wind Cities have a non-aggression pact with the Kingdom of the Silver Leaves (elves) and a military alliance with the Kingdom of the Greystones (dwarves). There is also a tentative alliance with the Free Lands of Arkhangel, however, leaders on both sides aren't sure it will last.

Wolffire
The Barony of Wolffire is a land of contradictions. It is a monarchy but it is also a land of barbarians. It is a growing civilization restrained by traditional teachings that insist the people live as one with the land. Its ruler, Lord Baron Recmair Hault [NG male human, Bbn14] is a hero of the Second Ogre War. He is known as The Wolf Lord to his people and they love him dearly even when he teaches urban progress as a means to survival for his young country.

The Barbarian Lands of the Fiery Wolf didn't exist before the Second Ogre War began. Many of the communities did exist, but they were not allied to each other. Blood feuds and skirmishes threatened to tear the region apart. Then the war came and Recmair Hault rose to lead his people as a champion and a leader. He defeated many monstrous enemies and found new allies for the Tribes of the Fiery Wolf amongst the lands of the Eastern Shores. He fought alongside a group of renown heroes that fought to protect the entire region from the ogre scions and their evil hordes.

Now, he is happily retired and works towards growing Wolffire into a land as great as Stonn but still dedicated to the more "traditional" teachings of the North Gods. Cronn is the patron god of the Barony of Wolffire and all traditional worship of the Pantheon of the North is welcomed amongst the Tribes of the Fiery Wolf. The barbarians of this land fought alongside the citizens of Minar against the Sunus Bugbear Tribes when those tribes invaded Minar. The war has brought the two lands closer together even with a range of mountains between them. The Lord Baron has also agreed to a non-aggression pact with the rulers of the Strandlands.

Wolffire's capital is the coastal city of Falcûne (14,000). The rest of Wolffire's communities are either scattered along the eastern shore of Harqual or located on Farion Island. The communities on the island are more traditional than those on the mainland.

New Hex Map for the Eastern Shores: https://kulanworldjournal.wordpress.com ... s-758-n-c/
Last edited by Knightfall on Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:24 am, edited 6 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:32 pm

Sarunia now has its own subforum, perhaps Kulan could get one too? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:37 pm

Havard wrote:Sarunia now has its own subforum, perhaps Kulan could get one too? :)

-Havard
While that would be cool, for right now I really only have this one thread on here. Plus, I already have a Kulan forum on EN World. However, if people really want one here, I guess I wouldn't complain. :D

Storm Peninsula
This region is dominated by the Storm Jungle. The jungle is the home of the tabaxi of Harqual. Up until the Year of the Return, the tabaxi were in exile from the world. Mirella, the over-deity of Kulan, banished them to an unknown demiplane for 1,001 years for the misdeeds of their patron god, Tu. During that time period, the jungle remained largely unsettled as the citizens of the surrounding city-states gained a strong sense of taboo towards the dank, dark jungle. Forestry did touch its outer edges, but the civilized races refused to delve deep into the jungle (except for the occasional adventuring party). However, the more monstrous races, such as ogres, orcs, and trolls, were quick to move into the jungle and fill the void left by the tabaxi. The orcs chose to settle the Reth Mountains while the trolls infested the deepest parts of the jungle. The ogres settled throughout the entire region, but they avoided the old, abandoned sites of the tabaxi. When the tabaxi returned, they were faced with a choice go to war with everyone living on the peninsula or choose to limit their foes to the civilized races.

They chose the latter.

It has worked out well for the Reth Tribes living in the mountains. They have formed a military alliance with the Tabaxi Sovereignty. The ogres often ally with the tabaxi as well, but it isn't written in stone. The trolls tend to balk at being conscripted into the Sovereignty's armies. If the food is tasty and plentiful, they can be convinced. However, they've been known to eat a fallen ally on the battlefield even if that ally is still alive.

When the tabaxi began their march on the lands surrounding their jungle home, they encountered more resistance than they thought they would. For while humanity had forgotten about them, they were deeply entrenched on the peninsula and their city-states were well defended. Only Tladi and Valora fell; Tallawan and Nasundria were occupied but it did not last; the rest of the lands surrounding the jungle held during the initial onslaught although there were many losses.

The city-state of Anthmoor fared the best of the coastal cities; Hutmallia was forced to accept annexation by Anthmoor's rulers to keep from being conquered by the cat-men; the Monarchy of Avion nearly fell but was saved through old alliances with Onaway to the north and a new alliance with Izmer to the east. The dark city of Viwe has remained largely untouched by the acts of war perpetuated by the tabaxi and their dark god.

More to come...

Last edited by Knightfall on Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:31 am, edited 5 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:26 am

This is a new one...

Anorian Region
This region is one of the more complex areas on Harqual to detail. It initially grew out of the lands surrounding the Thunder Mountains. Back then it didn't really have a name. The Hather Plains dominated the lands west of Lake Eil. Then things changed. I needed a place to put both Mor's End (the EN World City Project) and Cauldron (from the Shackled City Adventure Path [SCAP]). Thus, the hills around Fortress Mountain grew into the range known as the Kul Moren Mountains. From the western edge of the Verdalf Forest to the east coast of Harqual became known as the Thunder Lands.

(The areas to the north and east of the Hather Plains aren't truly part of the Anorian Region. Instead those regions make up the southern part of the lands known as the Eastern Shores, which stretches from the Duchy of Minar and the Barony of Wolffire in the south to the Cities of the Wind in the north.)

The Midlands are a separate region from the Thunder Lands as are The Uplands near the northern edge of the Great Expanse. While The Uplands aren't really a part of the Anorian Region, the Midlands are. The region is dangerous and has only a few major settlements. It acts mainly as a buffer between the blood elves of Knotwood in the southerly parts of the Great Forest of Harqual and the hunter elves of Verdalf Forest and the communities in and surrounding the Kul Moren Mountains. The Dominion of Cauldron is the strongest force for good in the mountain range; the adventures of the SCAP have been played in my setting already. Its legacy is a land that is ruled by one of the PCs. The other characters all have positions of importance in the dominion or in the newly formed dwarven land ruled out of the Town of Kul Moren.

Kul Moren once paid homage to Mor's End but that changed when Mor's End fell to darkness. It was conquered by the infernal-worshiping rulers of Flamerule (not related to the Forgotten Realms city of the same name -KF). It was not a easy transition and the city suffered greatly during the annexation. Flamerule opposes all good people in the region. It is tiered city-state that has grown down into the earth. There is a tier for each planar layers in the Nine Hells. Rulership of Flamerule follows the same rigid pattern as the layers of Baator. The weakest ruler controls the highest tier why the strongest ruler controls the lowest tier.

I can't remember whether the City-state of Caloric came into existence before I added Cauldron and Mor's End, but it doesn't really matter. (I'm forever adding things to my setting.) Caloric is a City of Spires. In many ways, it can be considered Harqual's Sharn although it isn't as powerful as Sharn is in the Eberron campaign setting. (Note that Sharn does exist in an altered form on Kulan on the side of the world.) Caloric is dedicated to all things that fly. Airships and flying creatures fill its sky-ways; it is a common port for Spelljammers and planewalkers. Its rulers try to remain neutral, which means that evil is allowed to exist in the city-state. However, evil is not allowed to dominate Calorician society for good has its place here as well.

As we travel east of Caloric, we come to the old heart of the Anorian Region. This area came to be so that I had a place to set the old AD&D module known as The Silver Key. (I've never ran it as part of a campaign, however.) What is now the Barony of Liran is based on Honshar. This also means that Vish'Na'Ka is based on Krimba-Hai. The Free City of Yuln is my own creation as is the city known as Tschaja. Yuln is feudal city and is strongly Lawful Neutral; Tschaja is a Transformation City controlled by a unique race of bird-men called the Kha. The area just south of the city named Falcûne is known as the Strandlands; it is a lands of soldiers and traditional values based on honorable warfare. I once set a DCC module in this region, but it didn't finish. (I tried running it as a PbP campaign on EN World.)

There is one other place of note for the eastern half of the Thunder Lands. Within the Thunder Mountains south of the Blackened Volcano is a semi-hidden valley. It is called the Thunder Rift. If you're a Mystara fan then you know what I'm referring to. If not then see here. ;)

There is a lot more on this map than I can describe here. If anyone has a request for more info then feel free to ask. - KF
Last edited by Knightfall on Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:31 am

Chara Coast
This map shows the area directly south of the Kingdom of Izmer. Eight city-states dominate this region — Deepwater; Dragonhold and Thessalhold, Tyr; Hellekan, Favir, Sange, and Sulinon.

(Note that the cities of Vylend and Sumdall, just north of Deepwater, as well as Alistia to the northeast are part of Kingdom of Izmer. Antius City is its own political entity as are Pretensa and Mor's End. Antius, Izmer, and Pretensa are all place names from D&D: The Movie. Mor's End was created as part of the EN World City Project several years ago. I have adapted it for my own use. Muurizon and Dunehold are my own creations. All of these lands and cities are not truly part of the Chara Coast region, but I figured I should mention them, regardless.)

Deepwater is known as The Shining City. It is an altered version of Waterdeep from the Forgotten Realms campaign setting.

Dragonhold is the capital city of the island realm known as Wyrmgard Holds. It is a LE theocratic thalassocracy. Its patron god is Falazure.

Thessalhold is the capital of the Thessalgard Holds. This island domain is ruled by the yuan-ti. These creatures have their fangs into every illicit and depraved venture up and down the Chara Coast. Their island home is a near-impassible swamp with withered trees and dangerous monsters. The yuan-ti move about the island through several Underearth passages as not even they would risk the dangerous aberrations, dinosaurs, and magical beasts that populate the island's interior. Thessalhold and its vassal communities are fortress-like constructs that exist both above ground and under the fetid swamps. How the yuan-ti achieved this engineering feat remains a mystery. Some whisper of dark pacts made with demons... or worse.

Tyr is a Transformation City that was duplicated on Harqual during the Time of the Transformation. It is the City-state of Tyr as depicted in the Dark Sun campaign setting after King Kalak was killed and the city-state was freed. My version will be very different. Defiling and preserving magic doesn't work on Kulan. Therefore, Tyr's arcanists have had to adapt quickly or be left powerless to defend themselves from their enemies.

The other four cities are known as the Chara Cities.

The City-state of Hellekan is known as the City of the Sun. This is due to the fact that the citizens worship the Interloper God known as Apollo. The other deities worshiped in the city-state can be counted on one hand. The North God of the Sun is the most notable of these deities. It is a beautiful place full of cobblestone streets, high rooftops, stone columns, and picturesque gardens. The center of the city-state is dominated by the Temple of Apollo and the House of Lords.

The City-state of Favir is known as The Littoral City. This city-state is known for its beautiful shoreline with sandy beaches, rock gardens, natural sea caves, and underwater reefs. However, those not from the city-state who wish to see Favir's shoreline must either pay a premium or try to sneak past the strong force of guards assigned to protect the coastline (i.e. druid/fighters). Favir's shoreline isn't the only thing that Favir is famous for. The city-state is a ruinous contrast to the beauty of its beaches. It is a mess with sprawling slums and a powerful, corrupt druidic enclave. They will go to any length to protect the coastline and countryside surrounding Favir, but they let the city-state rot. As a result, its elite citizens live outside the city-state in walled estates. Favir doesn't have a wall, however, and it is preyed on by several powerful thieves' guilds.

The City-state of Sange is known as the City of Bangles. Sange is a dark place known for its slave trade. Slaves must always wear arm bands. These arm bands signify who in the city-state owns a slave and the more important the owner, the fancier the arm band. Copper and iron for low end slave owners and mithral and adamantine for high end slave owners. An extremely important slave's armband is often enchanted to force the slave to stay and work in a specific area. This has lead to many of the important slave owners to having an arcanist on staff, as a slave, or as a member of their own family.

Armbands are very hard to remove — even those that aren't enchanted. Hot metal is molded around the slaves arm causing severe burns. It is then marked by hammering or etching the slave owners symbol into the metal. Enchanted arm bands are created differently, but one size fits all as the magical arm band re-sizes to fit a slave's arm. Only the person who "enslaved" the wearer can take the arm band off... usually.

The City-state of Sulinon is known as the City of Coliseums. Sulinon is famous for one thing, its many amphitheaters, arenas, coliseums, and fighting pits. All of these structures showcase the city-state's greatest assets, gladiators. Being so close to the City-state of Sange means that a lot of Sulinon's gladiators are slaves. However, this isn't the norm as the city is ruled by a council of retired gladiators. Most slave gladiators are imports (from Sange) or from Thessalgard.

Gladiatorial matches are constant in this city-state. Day and night matches of all type are run. Standard tournaments of every size, chained-to-foe matches, beast matches, labyrinth matches, gather the rings, limited equipment matches, no resurrection matches, zombie horde matches, ocean battles, etc. So complex are the type of matches available to be watched in Sulinon that there are unique arenas for almost every type of contest imaginable. As a result, the only businesses here are related to gladiatorial games, whether it be weaponsmiths or traders who travel the continent to find exotic creatures to fighting the beast matches. Sulinon imports almost all of its food and other essential needs for life.

More to come...

Last edited by Knightfall on Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:06 am

Around Thyer
I'm not sure what I can say about this map. I haven't delved to deeply into the islands surrounding Harqual. It took me forever to come up with a description for the Dual Seas Region.

The most southerly part of the Island of Frey connects this region with the Dual Seas Region. Looking back to the region, the Domain of Frey is a thalassocracy. Fvoul is one of the seven cities that form the thalassocracy. It's best to think of the island as a colossal sandbar although that is an oversimplification. The islands coastline is fairly static, and its communities stand on the firmest ground available. These rocky outcropping are often elevated above sea level, yet they remain close enough to waterline to allow for piers and harbors; the sailors simply have to walk up a down stone or wooden pathways.

Farion Island is part of a barony known as Wolffire. The barony exists both on the island and on the coast of Harqual. It is a land steeped in barbaric traditions although its ruler wishes to modernize some aspects of his land's culture.

The Nesin Islands are scattered on both sides of Thyer. These islands, also known as the Myriad Holds, are a mixture of races, cultures, and values. The islands also have a tendency to be wild and dangerous beyond the six cities that are spread throughout them. Five of the six are shown on this map — Chanish, Shorel, Cathafael, Juhal, and Thorett; the last city (called Lunnt) stands at the center of a heavily forested island just west of the City-state of Thorett. It is an evil place ruled by savage orcs who drink the blood of their dead and eat the flesh of their enemies.

The island that this map is named for, Thyer, is its own unique domain. The island is heavily forested, and its residents tend to shun outsiders that they do not trust fully. This island realm is steeped in myth and legend. Its capital city, Anagulat, stands at the very heart of the island. Three vassal cities stand on the island's shorelines — Straus in the south and Gyrdene and Hylynhar in the north. If the Domain of Thyer has any other cities, they remain hidden from the outside world. It is even near impossible for outsiders to visit the realm's capital. What is known about the people of Thyer is that they are not completely human. It is whispered that the island's denizens are planetouched in some manner or a half-bred race that now breeds true. It is known that slavery does exist on the island but that slaves are honored and cared fore almost like children.

The true nature of Thyer remains an enigma.

There is one more locale worth mentioning on this map — Deep Shoal. This aquatic kingdom is home to the unique aquatic elven race known as shoal elves. They are very similar to standard aquatic elves except for their ability to survive both in the water and on land. Deep Shoal is both the name of the kingdom and its capital city. It has a more complicated elven name but few non-elves have ever heard it. The capital city is primarily an underwater city; however, parts of it can rise to the surface. This makes it easier for air breathers to do business with the shoal elves. The city's engineering is an amazing feat of architecture and magic. It has awed humans and land-dwelling elves alike. A noted dwarven architect was brought to tears when he first saw the city's upper levels rise out of the sea. It is rumored that shoal elves came to Kulan from an Alternate Material Plane where technology is more advanced.

Last edited by Knightfall on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Return to “World of Kulan”