Lands of Harqual [Maps and More]

The homebrew world of Knightfall.

Moderator: Knightfall

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Overview Maps of the Far South

Post by Knightfall » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:24 am

I decided to create a new overview map for the Far South. This map is the second one, which I was inspired to do once I'd finished the map of the eastern lands of The Far South. I will likely redo the old overview maps for the Nebral Peninsula since it is now out of date. I'll be creating a new overview maps for area around the Paian Hills as well and maybe the Chara Coast (that region needs less of a rework.).

For these new overview maps, I'm using a different font due to the fact that I got a new computer. When I made the switch, I forgot to copy over the fonts. :facepalm: Therefore, I needed to find a suitable substitute to the Stonehenge font I was using.

I really like the new Carleton font I`m using. :D

This map shows the first real view of the island chain known a Rumbling Archipelago. Part of Stonegard Island was visible on the old Nebral Peninsula map. The island chain is highly volcanic and this is the one area where fire giants are common. I will likely do a closeup version of the island chain at some point.

The Far South (West)
The western half of the Far south is dominated by Harqual's largest desert, the Great Expanse, and the lands of the Nebral Peninsula. However, the desert is less a part of the south than it is a buffer zone between the northern lands of Harqual and the Far South. It's denizens don't consider themselves northerners and they are often at odds with the denizens of the Far South.

I'll post more about the Great Expanse in the next post, which shows the entire desert on one map. The Bulge is the region's informal name.

The 'true' Far South begins near the edge of the desert where a river (called the Daviv River) flows from the southern half of the Patron Mountains and empties into the sea at the Transformation City called Belinay. That city is the capital of the Belin Confederacy -- a collection of city-states that were brought to the Lands of Harqual from the same world. Once on Harqual, they formalized an alliance amongst themselves that has withstood the machinations of the slavers of the Chara Coast.

The Belins avoid the Merewood due to traditional taboos about forests and due to a race they perceive as spiritblooded beings -- the phanatons. These small, bipedal raccoon-folk have lived in the Merewood for over five centuries and have had little competition in the forest until The Transformation completely changed the region surrounding their home. Besides the Belins on the northern shores of the peninsula, other new and unusual Transformation city-states have appeared south of the forest.

The most dangerous of these is the "City State" (as its people call it), although it is more often referred to as the City-state of Rhamsandron. While its populace is primarily human (along with significant numbers of demihuman), its population is massive compared to the 'native' city-states of the Far South. Rhamsandrom came to Kulan with nearly 75,000 souls. Yes, much of its citizenry were 'lost' in the transference to the Lands of Harqual, including the city's overlord, but the "city State" has infused the western lands of the Far South with new blood that often choose to spill blood.

Its new rulers, a secretive mystical order, has yet to declare war on their new neighbors but that hasn't stopped them from poaching from Lake Therse and the Merewood with impunity and cutting back the trees to build a new agricultural base. As well, there have been been skirmishes with the black-skinned humans from the City-state of Aatente who now hunt in the Merewood near the Hellion Hills. The Aate do not fear the people of Rhamsandron and will often protect the Merewood from the poachers of the "City State." The Aate only take from the forest what they need.

The Aate do fear the strange fey of the City-state of Cardamere, which was also brought to the Lands of Harqual during The Transformation. The fey race's origins are otherworldly and remain a mystery. Its citizens, called the Breshidi, have blue-green skin and often have more than two arms. Few of its people have ever left Cardamere, and they rarely trust outsiders. It is known that a human male from one of the 'native' city-states now lives in Cardamere and works towards protecting the Breshidi from those that would exploit them, including his former allies.

The lands east of the Merewood are the traditional 'native' city-states of this region. There are roughly a dozen of these cities in the region and diversity is the norm amongst the various populations. Before the magic conjunction reshaped the political landscape of the Far South, the most powerful city-states in this region were Foxellian, Livaley, Greol, and Xcellian. Of those four city-states, Xcellian has the largest population base (just over 23,000), which is paltry compared to Rhamsandron. In fact, adding up the populations of those four city-states wouldn't even equal Rhamsandron's population figures.

If Rhamsandron's rulers chose to conquer the Nebral Peninsula, it would take the combined forces almost every major city to stop them, and victory would be costly to all. However, this isn't likely to happen since the rulers of the "City State" have formed a tentative alliance with the arcanists of Livaley and are courting the favor of the Greolin Lordship. There is also a growing trade alliance between Rhamsandron and other Transformation City (called Korvosa) that appeared on Harqual's southern shore far to the east.

The best hope for keeping the power of Rhamsandron in check is the powerful city of Mount Song in the Carillon Mountains. Its populace is strongly good-aligned and is made up of members of such races as Rockwood gnomes, Torin dwarves, southern elves, and even phanatons. Mount Song is the capital city of a powerful demihuman kingdom known as the Carillon Kingship. Humans are a rarity here; however, there is little to no racial hatred towards humanity or even goblinoids. All are welcome if they are good and obey the laws of the Songmaster Kings.

The citizens of the Carillon Kingship find the behavior of the peoples of Rhamsandron to be disgusting and overtly hostile. Patrols from the "City State" that enter the hills or mountains are attacked on sight, and if the patrol behaves dishonorably, the Carillon soldiers will pursue them deep into the Merewood in order to make their point.

Other tidbits...

• The volcanic islands known as the Rumbling Archipelago are home to seacliff dwarves, fire giants, the aarakocra, and all sorts of strange and exotic monstrous humanoids. The islands are rugged and even the lowest hills are dangerous. The coastlines of these islands are often shear cliffs, yet there are lowlands that touch the sea. The island chain continues west and south providing a connecting trade route to the Isles of Valossa and to Janardûn. Ships often sail the warmer routes down into the Valossan Sea but rarely cross the treacherous colder waters of Aegir's Sea to the Psionic Lands.

• The Plains of the Black Sand are a smuggler's delight, especially for those that are outcasts from elsewhere. Half-bred races such as half-elves, half-orcs, and uk-kargs do well in this region, as long as they don't try to steal from the Black Sand Tribe. The kobolds of Harqual's most famous group of kobolds lives under the protection of Adamanditar (male blue dragon / 39 HD [great wyrm] / TN), the Majestic Blue Dragon of Harqual. Even though Adamanditar lairs somewhere in the heart of the Great Expanse, he often wings south through the Far South to visit his kobold followers located in these plains and intimidates the evil humanoids living near the White Desert on the Varan Peninsula.

Smugglers who steal from the kobolds tend to disappear but most of the groups working on the plains know better. The various peoples of the Transformation city-state have been quick to learn to fear and respect the Majestic Dragons of Harqual. However, fear and respect has quickly turned to loathing amongst the citizens of the "City State," as the Majestics often 'warn' the people of Rhamsandron to show more respect for the traditions of the continent in regards to the Tenets of the Balance. The rulers of Rhamsandron have placed a bounty on Adamanditar, but so far, no one is willing to commit suicide by dragon.

• Close to the Plains of the Black Sand is Lake Therse and the Savanna of Mysteries. The region is strongly tied to the Merewood and the fey that live in the rainforest. Bandontown is the capital city of the Therse Dependency -- an oligarchy with an integrated population of feytouched, cat races, phanatons, and humans. The city sits on the northern shore of Therse Lake and its peoples work to protect the lake and the Merewood from aggressors. The Savanna of Mysteries is known for its highly magical nature. Druids and sorcerers are often born in this region.

East of the lake and plains lies the Paian Hills Region, which I've already mentioned above. I will talk about that region and area west of Merewood more in the post with the regional map of the Nebral Peninsula.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's the new overview map for the other half of The Far South. I decided to do this one because I didn't really have a good overview of the entire area. This part of the southern lands of Harqual is what I mainly think of as The Far South. (A lot of what exists in the western lands is secondary or more recent re-creations or additions.) As you can see, this area of Harqual has a lot more cities. Many of these cities are city-states that only control the lands directly around them or are part of a small alliance of city-states.

The Far South (East)
Description needs to be rewritten.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:31 am

Expanded View of "The Bulge"

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:01 am

Short Description
Here is the newly revised version of the Nebral Peninsula overview map. There are a few changes on it compared to the old version. Specifically, I didn't attempt to note political areas on the map. It always makes it look to crowded.

Also, the maps shows a lot more than just the Nebral Peninsula. The areas surrounding it are too important to simply cut away on a smaller version, like the old one. The Chara Coast, for example, has a strong influence on the northern lands of the peninsula.

FYI... all these maps are in a state of flux. (I've already added a couple of extra "low" mountains and hills to this one [on Thessalgard Island and in the Merewood] I've also added a new "tower city" called Scattertown.).

Nebral Peninsula
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:38 am

Here is my latest re-creation of the overview maps of the various regions of Harqual. This region used to be entitled the Heverkent Region. In truth, the Hinderfall mountain range is just as important to the region as the Heverkent rainforests surround the range.

[EDIT]
I've also added the description for both the Anorian Region and the map entitled "Around Thyer."

Heverkent and Hinderfall
Rockwood gnomes dominate the Hinderfall Mountains and Inner Forest of Heverkent, but they do not control it the way other humanoids have tried to in the past. There are elder treants living in the Inner Forest while the Outer Forest is dominated by mixture of races and power groups.

The lands surrounding the rainforest are hotly contested. Despite the existence of numerous cities and towns, this region is considered untamed and dangerous. Logging on the fringes of the Outer Forest is a hazardous lifestyle. The trees are massive and the rain forest's denizens viciously attack loggers.

Since the time of The Transformation, the ratio of humanity in this region has increased. Humans are less uncommon in the coastal communities but Torin dwarves and southern elves still outnumber them. The rakasta and kitts tend to be on par with humans although that is in flux.

More tidbits..

The Hordelands
The Hordelands, also known as the Domain of the Horde, is ruled by a council of men and women from several of the races of the Far South. These rulers are known as the Lords of the Horde, with history that stretches back to several southern barbarian tribes. Now, nearly a thousand years later, they have become civilized but still pay homage to certain barbarian traditions.

The Outer Forest
The Outer Forest is made up of a patchwork of independent communities trying to hold back the worst of the logging done by the dozens of "urban" cities whittling away at the edge of the Heverkent Forest. Also known as The Packlands, due to the migratory nature of most of those living within the treeline, this region is home to countless races both humanoid and fey. The constant threat of logging has made strange allies of the rangers, druids, orcs, gnomes, fey races, and halflings who call the forest home.

The Timber Coast
Worst of the regions that constantly cut down trees for profit and shipbuilding is the Timber Coast. Six cities pay homage to the City of Cutte, which means "Fallen Trees" in an archaic language rarely spoken anywhere beyond the walls of the City of Cutte. The citizens of these cities, as well as the hundreds of small communities that call upon them for protection, see the forest as a resource to be exploited at any cost. Hundreds of thousands of acres have been cut down to make room for vineyards and cotton plantations. Besides the Domains of the Horde and the Republic of the Thorn (to the east), the Timber Coast has the largest standing army in the Far South.

The City of Lost Souls
The last place of interest on this map is the City of Adabrilia.

Once the thriving human-centric metropolis of the Far South, Adabrilia is now a ghost. Its streets are deserted and a touch of magic hangs in the air. When the Transformation ended so did the citizens of Adabrilia. Entire families and noble houses gone with the fog. Whether they were killed of transported to another plane of existence, no one knows. And only the foolhardy enter Adabrilia and try to find out.

Most don’t return but those that have come back tell tales of seeing people at the edge of their sight reaching out to them in horror then fading from sight as one turns to get a better view of them. Beyond these "ghosts", Adabrilia is home to only dangerous monsters and wild creatures. Only creatures with an Intelligence score of 5 or less can be found stalking the streets of Adabrilia. Surprisingly, this also keeps most intelligent undead out of the city as well. There are rumors of an insane vampire living in Adabrilia but none have ever seen this evil creature.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:44 am

Description copied over from EN World...

Varan Peninsula
Here is my new version of the Varan Peninsula. The previous version of this map didn't show the entire peninsula. This one does.

There are two major powers on the Varan Peninsula — the Domain of Varan and the Kingdom of Halaian. Halaian dominates the mountain range of the same name while Varan dominates the Varwood.

Halaian has only existed, as a kingdom, for just over a hundred years. It is a self-proclaimed monarchy (LG); its racial makeup is mainly rockwood gnomes and the Torin. Halaian was once a dependency of the Realm of the Little Trees in the Hinderfall Mountains. It is not known whether the self-proclamation was approved by the feudal heptarchy of the Realm.

Varan, on the other hand, has existed on the peninsula for nearly as long as civilization has existed in the Far South. (In fact, no one is sure which "Varan" was named first — the peninsula or the domain.) It is a neutrally-aligned feudal-state; its primary residents are southern elves and lightfoot halflings. Varan is known for its strict adherence to the Tenets of the Balance, which is a rarity in the Far South.

Other tidbits...

● The Varan Peninsula is it home to a lot of halflings. (You could even call it the halfling peninsula. Heh.) They dominate many of the city-states and lands located on eastern half of the peninsula.

● Danshal (demihuman), Jerasul (demihumans), Salubia (halfling), Ulderal (mixed), and Zafira (lightfoot halfing) are all independent city-states. Danshal is known as the City of Kings; it's a demihuman aristocracy. Jerasul is known as the City of Spices; it's a trader's paradise. Salubia is known as the City of Kinfolk; it's an (good-hearted) ethnocracy. Ulderal is known as the Peccadillo City; it's a city of vice. See below for more details on Zafira.

● Zafira, the City of Night, is considered a civilized place but with a dark, fearful edge due to its history and a supposed connection with the undead and the Cursed (i.e. werebeasts). Zafira and its ruler are an enigma.

● The city-states known as Siafox and as Tulsax are controlled by evil humanoids. The two cities are rivals; they try to outdo each other with their raids against the surrounding lands. They are less likely to attack each other. The entire region around (and in) the White Desert is a haven for goblins, gnolls, and ogres. It is known as the Shuntlands.

● The lands surrounding the Kail Mountains consider themselves separate from the rest of the Varan Peninsula. Amdrall (mixed), Dyhan (the forlorn), Lauaefal (southern elves), Sallim (demihumans), and Sivendul (demihumans) are all independent city-states with various forms of government.

● In the Kail Mountains, the city-states of N'Dalder and Pite are Torin strongholds. N'Dalder is a meritocracy; Pite is a plutocracy. The Realm of Gital in the eastern half of the mountain range is a monarchy of demihumans (very mixed).

● Fialli and Osebye are the backbone of a region known as the Unfettered Lands. Neutrality and chaos are commonplace here but not evil. There are more Harqualian humans living here than anywhere else on the peninsula. Various clans live on the shores of Lake Osebye. Humans are very rare elsewhere on the peninsula.

● Anaree and Sariae are Transformation cities. They are allied together to form a diarchy of "duplicates." (See my Thenin Peninsula post for more details.) The citizens the Twined Cities appear to be humans with electrum-tinted skin. However, sages are not sure if the citizens of the Cities of Electrum should be classified as such. They seem more like planetouched.

● There are rakasta prides living on the Savanna of the Mist while the Red Grass Savanna is more untamed and unclaimed. Skirmishes are common on the Red Grass Savanna.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:06 am

Description copied over from EN World...

Thenin Peninsula
This peninsula has has always been a hotbed of conflict and intrigue. Before the time of The Transformation seven years ago, the conflict was mainly due to the destructive followers of Erythnul in the city of Thenin and its vassal cities (i.e. Republic of the Thorn). (This republic was one of the few human-dominated lands in the far South before the planar event.)

While the mists of the magical crossing touched Harqual's shores, the republic fought for its very survival. Strange ruins filled with hordes of undead appeared in the Sea Mire to the south of the town of Paros. The undead poured out every night during the week long event and several communities were overrun including the City of Renin.

And Erythnul abandoned the republic.

Every community in the region would have fallen if the citizens hadn't turned to an unlikely source. Before Erythnul had been the republic's patron deity, the North God known as Jalivier had been the republic's divine champion. When The Many stopped answer her prayers, Jalivier spoke to Yuinii Bazgal, the Consul of the Republic, and told her to lead her people out into the night...

“You must ride with your men, fight alongside them as an equal. You must share their battlefield and their fate, whatever that may be for not even I can predict this outcome. But if you go with no malice in your heart or trickery in your mind then I will be there with you. Now go!”

She led her people, fought bravely, and died a hero.

Jalivier is once again the republic's patron deity and its people are now rebuilding the Thorn Republic in the Defender's name.

The ruin still exists; however, tt's name is now known — Hathenmoor. This little fact has given hope to those who enter the Accursed Mire in hopes of destroying the evil at its heart.

Other tidbits...

● There are three major Transformation cities in this region. Anaree is a strange city with a twin further north. The two cities are exact duplicates of each other except that the citizens of both cities cannot communicate with each other without magical aid. Christopherson is an even stranger city; its walls are made of iron and its primary citizens are bizarre humanoids that were slaves to the city's masters. These masters were not brought to Kulan. Korvosa is a fairly normal city compared to the other two. Its people are primarily human but there are also dwarves, elves, and halflings living in the city.

● Highwall and Thunderwall are fortified demihuman communities (mainly rockwood gnomes and the Torin). Construction of these two cities began shortly before The Transformation; the chaos of the magical event has swelled the populations.

● The Dog Head Savanna is infamous fir its powerful gnoll tribes while the Savanna of the Sun is another warm plain filled with rakasta prides; wild horses are common on the savanna too.

● The citizens of Irongard Island are carefree sailors but they aren't vicious pirates. The communities of the Irongard Holds are fairly united.

● The citizens of the towns of the Wild Shore aren't as nice or as united. They will band together if threatened but that's about as far as it goes.

● Kuwton is the capital city of an authoritarian regime that spans from the town of Po in the west to the town of Heliler in the east including the cities of Eastown and Westown.

● The other primary cities of the Thorn Republic are Arhein and Forthe.

● The City-state of Ellihan is ruled by a (NG) halfling ethnocracy. The City-state of Vail is ruled by a neutrally-aligned halfling aristocracy. Evanes is the capital city of a (LN) halfling oligarchy known as the Headlands. The Free City of Jyl is a (LN) demihuman aristocracy. Waile is the capital city of a loose confederacy of communities, including the city of Felanan, known as the Free Shores.

More to be added...
Last edited by Knightfall on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

The Thunder Lands [West]

Post by Knightfall » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:08 am

The Thunder Lands

KUL MOREN MOUNTAINS REGION
This map is the guts of a region that has been developed in great detail. Since the area was the heart of a long-standing 3e campaign centered around Cauldron City, it's no surprise that it has become very developed. However, there is way more to this region than just Cauldron and the events of that campaign. All the major cities are unique and influenced by a number of sources.

Mor's End was built by the masses over on EN World. This endeavor was known as the EN World City Project. My main contribution was a CC2 Pro map of the city itself. The project never really finished, but I didn't want the work to end in vain. Thus, I added Mor's End to Kulan. With it came the town called Kul Moren, which used to be a vassal community, but it was semi-independent. The dwarves of Kul Moren helped build Mor's End's walls and defenses ages ago. The Town of Lalation, Lake Anoria, and the Goblin Swamp were all part of the project although I edited a few of the names (if I remember correctly).

Moving west from Mor's End, we come to the city named Pretensa. Now, that name might seem oddly familiar to you. Here's your clue. Marina of Pretensa. Did that help? Yes, my Pretensa is the childhood home of the Marina character from the first Dungeons & Dragons movie. This city and its surrounding communities used to be part of the Kingdom of Izmer. In the course of my Shackled City campaign, it broke away from Izmer to create its own Principality. Now, it has stronger ties to the Dominion of Cauldron due to the influence of the PCs from the campaign.

I should note that the Verdalf Forest is also based on D&D: The Movie. The name comes from the novelization of the movie, which tells a much better story. The elves of my Verdalf are hunter elves. These elves are descended from elves that came to Kulan through a magical portal from Dave Arneson's Blackmoor. Therefore, the elves culture is strongly influenced by the elves of that setting. It is rumored that the portal is actually a permanent gate that stands open in a hidden grove in the heart of the elven city and that it is possible to make the journey the other way.

Directly north of the Dominion of Cauldron is the Barony of Calot. It is the least powerful of the lands in this region although it is in no danger of being annexed by its neighbors. Calot is a buffer between The Thunder Lands and the chaos that is The Midlands to the north. The regions north of the Verdalf Forest on the eastern side of Lake Qualitian are a hotbed of conflict. Blood elves from the fallen depths of the Knotwood are a constant danger. Blackened treants hunt for victims to entangle. Quicklings steal food, possessions, and children. Ogres and trolls kill and eat lone travalers. And demons stalk the edges of the southern fringes of the Great Forest of Harqual. It is a wonder that the Barony of Calot has not been overrun hundreds of times. It is a testament to the strength of will its people have. Calotown is the barony's capital.

Northeast of Mor's End is the evil city of Flamerule. I've realized, recently, that I got this name from the Forgotten Realms. My Flamerule is not based on the FR city. That might have been my intention, initially. But after the events of the SCAP, I've created something very different. Flamerule is the capital city of The Diabolic Enclaves. The city has three vassal communities, but it is more of an independent city-state than it is a growing land. The word 'enclaves' refers more to the nine tiers of Flamerule that descend into the earth. The city-states residents are vile devil worshipers who seek to conquer all of Harqual for their diabolic masters in the Nine Hells. Anoria fell into Flamerule's clutches just as my SCAP campaign was ending. The Lord of the First Tier tried to conquer Cauldron and Kul Moren as well, but the Order of the Silver Hand stopped the takeover and took the fight to the walls of Flamerule. The first tier of the city was nearly destroyed, but it has since rebounded. Its vicious rulers have set their sights on Pretensa and the Duchy of Minar to the north; they have promised Liran and the eastern city-states of the Thunder Lands to the orcs of the Black Kingdom to the east.

The last major city of note on this map, as part of this region, is the city-state known as the City of Spires. This powerful city-state is a massive metropolis. It was built using magic; wind and sky magic are key components of Caloric's culture. Airship come and go from the city-state at all hours of the day. Its lofty spires stretch to unbelievable heights while the lowest parts are ruined slums and battlegrounds for the less fortunate and known dissidents. Neutrality is a big deal in Caloric, which means the lower streets and underpits can be filled with all sorts of vices. The rules controlling everything from on high care little for the underclasses. "Let them rot." "Let them murder each other." These are the common retorts spoken to outsiders who point out Caloric's seedier side.

Note than Liran is a part of The Thunder Lands; however, it is considered to be part of the eastern half of The Thunder Lands. More on it in the post detailing the eastern half of The Thunder Lands.

Also make note of the locale named Redhurst. Two cool points to anyone who understands the reference. :P

SITES
Farfox (Ruin)
When I decided to add Mor's End to Kulan, I felt a need to add to the area around the city. The project already called for a river, lake, and swamp, but I wanted to add my own adventure sites to the region. Farfox is one of those sites. Yet, it didn't come into play during my SCAP campaign. The small ruin was supposed to signify a destroyed town — put to the sword by goblins.

But why would it stand out versus other small towns and hamlets in the region that have been razed to the ground?

It has happened countless times around Lake Anoria. The tribes of the Goblin Swamp refuse to surrender ground on the eastern side of the lake, which they believe is theirs by divine right. The goblins take slaves and bloody tributes from such raids.

The story is a bit of a mystery. Few in Mor's End are even aware of Farfox; its citizens weren't aligned with the city. Plus, its destruction happened ages ago when Mor's End was just a town. All that is known now is that the land that Farfox once stood on is considered cursed. Even the goblin tribes won't go near it.

Handle Mill (Windmill)
This large stone and wood windmill is older than Mor's End. It may even be older than the monolith that stands near the gateway that leads into the underground half of the Town of Kul Moren, which is believed to predate the era known as the Black Wars.

The windmill is terrible shape and no one maintains it. It looks to be on the verge of collapse. Yet, when the moon Novan is full, its skeleton wind sails turn. It matters not whether there is a wind. At all other times the mill creaks noisily but does not turn.

The mill is believed to have a connection to Elemental Air since Novan is associated with air elementalism. Locals believe it is haunted, however. For when it is working, eerie green light shines through the cracks of its crumbling stone walls.

Helguar (Ruin)
Helguar is another victim of the goblinoids of Goblin Swamp. The keep was built and defended by a group of adventurers who wished to cleanse the swamp of the goblin tribes. The group won several victories, but they could not hope to survive the direct onslaught that brought down their keep. That short-term goblin alliance served as a warning to the citizens of Mor's End not to push the goblins too far.

Helguar was the surname of the adventurers' leader. Since the keep's destruction, the goblins have kept a firm hold on it. No one tribe controls Helguar; the tribes use it more as a dumping station for waste. As a result, the keep is crawling with monsters that aren't picky about what they eat.

Tarsus Oliverio is interested in reclaiming and expanding Helguar, so that Flamerule has another Infernal bastion in the region like Firesoul Hold. If successful, he might do what no one else has ever done — eliminate the goblins from the swamp. There have already been several skirmishes around the keep between the Brotherhood of the Infernal Pact and the goblins.

Kelikinadul (Tower)
This large tower stands in the Verdalf Forest. It is located just over 10 miles from the northern edge of the forest. It isn't of elven design although its name is elven. Kelikinadul means "Tall God's House," roughly. The hunter elves believe the structure was created by a deity; it is thought the tower was thought into existence rather than built. The tower shows no sign of decay and very little seems to be able to damage it. When it has been critically damaged in the past, the structure is repaired, somehow, overnight.

The hunter elves consider Kelikinadul to be sacred ground and they fight to the death against any who would try to claim it. This has brought them into conflict with the blood elves of the Knotwood; the elves' demonic master believes the tower has the power to make him/it a true god. Due to his/its obsession, a force of 250 hunter elves has been permanently assigned to Kelikinadul by Halvarth, The Hunter Elf King.

Nonar-Kyll (Tower)
This tower dates back to just before the founding of Flamerule. It was built by a mage of noted power. His last name was Kyll. 'Nonar' is the title he was given by his enemies ― the tribes of the Hather Plains. It meant 'burner' in their language. Kyll was true to this curse that his victims uttered as he slaughtered tribe after tribe.

"Nonar" Kyll was originally against the founding of Flamerule. He was a fire elementalist, not a devil worshiper. He was a jealous man who didn't like to share his territory. As well, he felt that the diabolists would be nothing but trouble for him. For while he was feared and hated by those around him, he didn't try to conquer his neighbors.

Kill, yes. When it was important to show his power, he would burn down a village. But he didn't draw the ire of every tribe on the plains.

Yet, the diabolists tempted Kyll with wealth and more power. His avarice and ego pulled him deep into their machinations. He refused to give up his soul to the devil worshiper's masters, however. He strove for immortality on his own terms; he sought lichdom through ancient magicks.

In the end, he was brought low by the diabolists of Flamerule. They feared his power. During that time, there weren't any Warlords of Flame. Instead, the growing town was ruled by a cabal of wizards and clerics. They maneuvered the leaders of the tribes into uniting against Kyll. The tribes bravest and brightest entered the elementalist's tower and slayed him before he could complete the lichdom ritual.

Before he died, he uttered a powerful curse. It transformed his slayers into abominations and sealed his tower from the power of the Nine Hells. If a diabolist attempts to enter Nonar-Kyll, he or she will suffer pain worse than having his or skin pealed off. Plus, the victim drowns from the inside and feels like they are burning alive.

Not even those immune to water- or fire-based effects can ignore this torture.

Devils are completely warded from entering the tower, as are most outsiders of extreme alignment.

The tower remains in near perfect condition and its entryway, which has no lock, is guarded at all times by mercenaries in the employ of the Warlord of the First Tier. Entering the tower is strictly forbidden without the permission of the Warlord. He only allows this when the fools entering are doing his work willingly or unwittingly. Yet, there times when a group of adventurers has managed to enter the tower.

None have come back.

Redhurst (Special)
For those of you not in the know, Redhurst is a d20 system sourcebook that details a magical academy that travels from location to location and even from world to world. It is a campus and a fortress; it was founded on a strict view of neutrality; its proprietors only allow the best to attend.

There are several places on Kulan that Redhurst travels to on a regular basis; however, most of these locations are on the other side of the world. On Harqual, it appears mainly on the shores of Lake Anoria. It has appeared in Sumdall in ages past but several years ago the arcanists of Izmer placed a ward of epic power in the city that prevents Redhurst from appearing within.

Headmaster Andarlin was very insulted by this action and now Izmer's people are banned from sending their children to the campus. This ban used to apply to Pretensa, but now that it has split from Izmer, its nobility's children can apply. There is no guarantee of acceptance, but it is a boon for the principality, nonetheless.

In the past, the campus has accepted students from Caloric, Cauldron, and Mor's End. Now that Mor's End is under the thraal of the Diabolic Enclaves, however, its promising arcanists must attend the Burning Acaedum in Flamerule. Any who flaunt this 'gift' and try to find solace at Redhurst are forever banned from setting foot inside of Anoria.

The Warlords' disgust and distrust towards Redhurst is so strong that they have put bounties on its Headmaster and staff. Clandestine agents have tried to steal the secret warding ritual of Izmer so that the Warlords can ensure that Redhurst cannot appear in its traditional location near Lake Anoria.

As a result, the last time Redhurst appeared, it was just south of the city-state of Caloric. Rumor is that the next time it appears it will be near the city of Pretensa.

Interestingly, Cauldronites are less likely to petition for their children to join Redhurst Academy. While the dominion's citizens haven't been forbidden to apply to Redhurst, it is becoming more common for young Cauldronites to wish to join Hezekiah Grofus' new Wizardly School of Magickal Reflection.

Redhurst also regularly appears in the following locations on Harqual: the City of Deepwater along the Chara Coast, the City-state of Livaley on the Nebral Peninsula, and on the western shore of Lake Osebye. The second two locations are in the Far South. There many other places in the Far South that the campus has appeared once or twice. Headmaster Andarlin has an agreement with the rockwood gnomes of the Realm of the Little Trees that states that Redhurst is allowed to appear on the shore of Lake Awl near the city of Mount Rockwood once every 10 years.

Its next appearance is a year and a half away.

When the campus makes its appearance in the Hinderfall Mountains, it is considered a time for merriment and games. A festival is held that lasts an entire week.

TERRAIN
Fire River
The Fire River starts at the southwestern edge of Lake Anoria and flows southwest through the Principality of Pretensa and into the Kingdom of Izmer. It flows all the way to Guardian Bay; it passes through the City of Sumdall. The river splits near the Town of Wellin; the secondary river empties into a small lake (no name yet). The region around this lake is a flood plain. Locals call the secondary river the Firewash.

The Fire river is unusually warm; it never freezes over south of the City of Alistia in Izmer and rarely freezes over south of the City of Pretensa. The reason for this is twofold: First, Lake Anoria has geothermal vents that heat up the lake's water. Second, a magical accident in Sumdall, many years ago, caused the alchemical waste in the river to catch fire.

It is this second event that led to the river's name being changed. Originally, it was also called the Milvius River, which is the longstanding name of the river that feeds into Lake Anoria from the northeast.

The Fire River sees much traffic; it flows quickly near Pretensa but its flow rate slows down considerably as it nears Alistia. It is a wide river with an abundance of fish and freshwater mammals. A unique society of barge-dwelling halflings live on the river; they have become known as Fire River Halflings although they are more properly lightfoots. The Firewash is famous for freshwater crayfish and for the tall reeds that line its banks. The crayfish are tasty and the reeds are a great healing ingredient.

Fortress Mountain
This large mountain was originally going to be my version of Dragon Mountain; however, I felt it wasn't isolated enough to to be used for that AD&D boxed set. Instead, Fortress Mountain is infamous for the mountain orcs and duergar that have made it their home. There have always been mountain orcs in the Kul Moren mountain range; but they have always considered Fortress Mountain to be theirs. And they fight hard to keep it that way.

The duergar living in the mountain are refugees from the Underearth. They have fled to the surface to escape the morlocks that have come to dominate Kulan's underdark. Initially, the duergar fought with the mountain orcs but eventually a pact was formed. The orcs would share their mountain home in exchange for better armor and weapons as well as stronger engineered defenses.

The end result is a dangerous combination of duergar guile and avarice with mountain orc fecundity and ambition.

Fortress Mountain was the site of a sidetrek adventure I ran during my SCAP campaign. The adventure was the free download "The Crumbling Hall of the Frost Giant Jarl." It was during this adventure that the PCs met and befriended a young frost giant named Shötte; he soon became a staunch ally and adventuring companion. He is now the Captain of the Guard in Cauldron City.

The hall still stands on the slopes of Fortress Mountain and there are still frost giants living on the mountain.

Goblin Swamp
The idea for this swamp came directly from the EN World City Project. In many ways my swamp is similar to what was decided upon during that project; however, I changed two keys factors — 1) my swamp is filled with goblins not orcs; and 2) my swamp isn't as large as the one discussed during the project.

The tribes of the Goblin Swamp are fractious they war with each other constantly, which is the only thing that keeps the tribes' populations in check. However, they do not confine themselves only to Goblin Swamp. They control the ruined keep called Helguar, and their patrols range along the entire eastern and southern shores of Lake Anoria. They give the area around both Redhurst and the Farfox ruins a wide berth.

Goblin Swamp is roughly 30 miles wide and 20 miles long (the project's swamp was bigger). There are numerous hot springs scattered throughout the swamp, and as a result, the swamp has a wide variety of life. While most of it is mundane, there are exceptions. It is known that a catoblepas lives somewhere in the swamp; the goblins avoid it when possible. Yet, people who have entered the swamp have often found goblins turned to stone.

Those that must travel in the Goblin Swamp, do so along a trail that hugs the shoreline. This makeshift road is dangerous and not well marked. Those that use it are often desperate or foolhardy. It is safer than traveling around the swamp since the edge of the Hather Plains is a treacherous place to travel; the previous Warlord of the First Tier made sure of that. Demon-touched magical beasts were his favorite things to create and set loose on the world.

The Goblin Swamp is famous for a type of cucumber that grows in it; these cucumbers are highly prized in order to be turned into what Anorians call "swamp pickles."

Great Expanse, the
The Great Expanse is the largest desert on Harqual it divides the northern lands of the continent from the Far South. It is infamous for its blowing sandstorms and native population of desert elves. The tribes of the Goblin Swamp do not enter the desert. The desert elves are mercurial but generally good-hearted. They have a great respect for nature and protect their desert home from any who would defile it.

During the height of summer, days in the desert are blistering while the nights are cool. During the winter, the Great Expanse is highly unpredictable. Its nights are almost always frigid while its days can be scorching or cold. The spring and fall months are very unpredictable. Cloud cover is an important factor that travelers must take into consideration. Flash floods from quick moving rainstorms are real danger. However, the desert sees more snow and frost than it does rain regardless of season.

When the waters of the Fire River (and sometimes Lake Anoria) flood in the spring, the resulting deluge of water soaks the land for miles. While these floods rarely reach the edge of the expanse, it has been know to happen. Once, 300 years ago, the flood turned 20 miles of desert near Lake Anoria into a watery, silty mess that lasted nearly two weeks. Quicksand is now common in that region.

I will post more about the Great Expanse when I detail the more southerly regions that are more in tune with its rhythms.

Hather Plains
From the Griffon Wood in the north to the edge of the Great Expanse in the south, the Hather Plains separate the Kul Moren Mountains from the Thunder Mountains. The plains are divided by the fast-running Milvius River. The City-state of Flamerule sits near the center of the plain and its dark, political will has come to influence much of the grasslands.

Before there were city-states and towns in this region, there were the countless tribes of the Hather Plains. And the plains remain an untamed wilderless beyond the banks of the Milvius. While most of the tribes have long since vanished or moved on, there are a few tribes of horse people still riding across the plains along the southern edge of the Duchy of Minar.

These wild riders pay homage to no one, but they rarely attack travelers without a good reason. Their traditions go back to the time before the Mortals War; they once worshiped the North God known as Anacoro, God of Horses and Mounted Warriors. After the deity's death during the Divinity War, the strength and unity of the Hather Plains tribes began to wither. Some tribes turned to darker gods, such as Erythnul, while other tribes became faithless.

Recently, the worship of a new God of Horses has spread; the deity is called Hak and some believe it is Anacoro reborn. The truth is that the deity comes from another world — a world connected to the Lands of Harqual through a hidden portal.

The most dangerous normal animal living on the Hather Plains is the dire wolf. These beasts are a common threat on both sides of the river. However, they are nothing compared to the monstrous creatures that prowl the plains. Magical experimentation is commonplace in Flamerule; the Warlords are always looking for the next warbeast that will strike terror into their enemies.

When failures happen, the resulting creatures aren't destroyed. Instead, the Warlords get a sick pleasure out of releasing the bred monsters into the wilds of the Hather Plains. Monsters such as ambush drakes, rampagers, and windghosts have haunted the plains in the past. As well, orcworts and phase wasps are commonly encountered. There is even rumor of an uncontrolled juggernaut loose om the plains.

Some of the more common monsters encountered on the plain includes the following: assassin vines (grass vines), cockatrices, dire rats, giant ants, gorgons, mephits, spectres, locust swarms, rat swarms, and zombies.

Kul Moren Mountains
The Kul Moren Mountains aren't the most impressive mountain range on Harqual; however, they have a complex history. Duergar, dwarves, fiends, giants, humans, kobolds, mountain orcs — all have vied for domination over the range. The dwarven delve of Abathnar (-825 N.C. to 423 N.C.) was the most successful dwarven kingdom in the mountains. Both it and the duergar deep-delve of Dvoriathroglim fought for control of the mountain's caverns and underhalls for over 650 years before they destroyed each other.

While the Great Delve War raged underground, the demon Nabthatoron sets events into motion that get him exiled to the Material Plane. The demon destroyed a magical artifact to power the formation of The Demonskar, a magical rift connected to multiple worlds. Humanity also takes its first steps towards trying to tame the mountain range. The communities of Redgorge and Liduton are founded — soon followed by Cauldron, which quickly grows into a political power.

During all this time, the mountain range's orc population hangs on to its limited holdings and lashes back when threatened. Kobolds move into the mountain range and initially clash with the dwarves and humans; an uneasy peace is formed, which eventually leads many kobolds to abandon their traditional ways to live amongst the dwarf and the human communities.

And then there are the giants living in the mountain range — frost giants on its highest peaks, hill giants in the deep valleys and the surrounding hills, and ogres prowling the areas in between. There have been even larger giants seen in the range such as massive mountain giants and bizarre stick giants. Such encounters are rare, however.

Temperature in the mountains is temperate. However, bitter cold is not uncommon. Snow usually covers the entire mountain range in the fall and lasts until the spring thaw. Cauldron City is luckier than most; the geothermal activity under the city keeps it warmer than the rest of the mountain range. As a result, snow and ice rarely builds up on the city's streets. As spring turns to summer, rain soaks the mountains to the core. Mudslides and floods are commonplace.

Lake Anoria
This warm lake has been the center of Anorian culture for 330 years. Mor's End has always been a city of mercantilism. The city's guilds have relied on the lake for resources not found elsewhere such as the spiders that are farmed for their unique watersilk. The western shore of the lake is a series of silk farms and fishing piers.

Since Anoria's enslavement by Flamerule, the lake has become heavily patrolled. A garrison has been placed in the Town of Lalaton and armed boats patrol the lake looking for poachers and insurgents. The Silkers Guild that once had a monopoly on the lake's watersilk must now pay heavy taxes on their catches. Fishing has become a highly regulated industry; the best fish ends up in Flamerule; the lesser catches are left for the fishermen and their families to live off.

Truly dangerous monsters are a rarity in Lake Anoria. The few encounters with dangerous creatures have been due to the migration of some beast down the Milvius River.

Lake Qualitian
This body of water is one of the largest lakes on Harqual. It is a major dividing line between the Eastern Shores, of which Minar is part of, and the Great Forest of Harqual. The lake is roughly 200 miles long north to south, but it is only around 60 miles at its widest point. The lake is very deep and is believed to connect to underground rivers.

The southern tip visible on the map is the boundary between the Duchy of of Minar and the Barony of Calot as well as the Midlands. The boundary is hotly contested by all that fish on the lake. Rival fishing crews have been known to poach each others catches. This has led to fist fights and drawn blades.

True piracy is unknown on the lake, however. There relatively few hidden coves and the lake's central islands are now controlled by the arcanists of Mathghamhna. The true threat on Lake Qualitian are the blood elf raiders that attack and burn all boats that come to close to shore near the Knotwood.

The lake is considered to be temperate. In the spring and summer, water levels rise but rarely flood. In the fall and winter, the lake always freezes over. Fish, mollusks, seals, and waterfowl are abundant. Its banks are reed-filled and mucky. Fog is a major concern on the lake as are sharp rocks hidden under the water.

The lake is also known for the variety of dangerous creatures that living in its waters or along its shores. A great deal of the lake's shoreline is considered swampy, which means that monsters such as chuuls, ochre jellies, and shambling mounds prowl its shallows. In deeper waters, locals often have to deal with attacks from sneaky kuo-toas, hungry monstrous crabs, and the occasional angry water naga.

The corruption of the Knotwood hasn't left Lake Qualitian untouched. Fiendish creatures are becoming a hazard in its waters. And there are corrupted fey, such as rot nymphs, looking for victims. It is rumored that a large demonic creature now haunts the southern shorelines of the lake. If true, it is most likely a skulvyn.

Not every monstrous creature living in the lake is corrupted or vicious, however. A isolated tribe of ormyrrs live along the eastern shore of the lake in between the hamlets of Fisafel and Wallwatch. They do not hunt land-dwelling humanoids since there is more challenging prey in the lake. There are also nixies living in the lake; these sprites have distanced themselves from the corrupting influence of the Knotwood and are often found swimming near Calotown.

It is known that something very large lives in the deepest parts of the lake. It has been described as being a giant eel-like creature with the head of a dragon. The sages of Mathghamhna don't believe it is a true dragon; they think the beast is most likely a dragon eel or some sort of half-dragon abomination. Regardless, the creature rises to the surface and sinks boats and attacks villages when the lake is blanketed by fog.

Milvius River
This fast-flowing river feeds out from Lake Thallin in the northern half of Minar. It passes through the entire length of the duchy before crossing the Hather Plains and emptying into Lake Anoria. Travel up the river from Mor's End to Minar is impossible, and numerous rapids along the river make boat travel from the City of Tian to Lake Anoria a treacherous ordeal but not impossible. And a waterfall north of Tian prevents boats from being able to travel to the Thunder Lands from Lake Thallin and farther north.

The river isn't known for a wide variety of aquatic encounters. Instead, it is influenced more by the animals that use it as a water source and the other creatures that hunt them. Thus, the river as it passes through the Hather Plains has become prime hunting territory for dire wolves and ambush drakes. Closer to Mor's End, the river also becomes the hunting ground of mountain lions and displacer beasts. Recently, a bulette has begun attacking animals and people near the river's shore in the Shorn Valley.

The river's shore has always been heavily patrolled in the past. Who was patrolling it depended on the political control of the region. Now that Flamerule holds Anoria, almost all of the Milvius south of the Town of Klarode is patrolled by the Infernal Elite, the Diabolic Enclaves toughest soldiers. Only the western shore of the river within the Shorn Valley falls out of their jurisdiction as it belongs to Kul Moren. The warriors of the Clans of the Silverbeard work tirelessly to protect the line between Kul Moren and Anoria.

Verdalf Forest
The Verdalf once stretched all the way to the edge of the Kul Moren Mountains as well as north along The Woodwash. The elves of forest tell tales of the old growth forest once being a part of the Great Forest of Harqual in the time before the Black Wars. More likely there has always been a divide between the two forests although there are many small copses standing between them. Over the years, these small stands of trees were guarded vigorously by the hunter elves of Verdalf and the forest elves of the Knotwood.

However, that all changed when the Knotwood was corrupted.

The magically transformed blood elves care little for the legacy of old trees. They would rather corrupt the earth and poison their enemies. And the hunter elves now see the gap between the southern edge of the Great Forest and the Verdalf as good thing. They have given the citizens of Calot and the Midlands to cut down the copses in between the two forests, especially any stand of trees that have become corrupted near the Knotwood. They will even pay bounties to the bold who tempt fate by hacking down the corrupted growths deeper into the Knotwood.

They still guard the copses near the Verdalf with vengeance and woe to any who try to claim healthy stands of trees as corrupted ones.

The Verdalf is home to more than the hunter elves. Fey are common in the forest, especially dryads, nymphs, pixies, and satyrs. There are treants as well but only a handful. More exotic fey such as glastigs, petals, and shimmerling swarms also live in the forest but they are uncommon. Evil fey are unheard of in the Verdalf although there is evidence that such creatures once lived in the southern part of the forest.

The other major race that lives in the Verdalf is the docrae. This unique race came to Kulan through the same magical portal as the ancestors of the hunter elves. The race is a bit a mystery outside of the Verdalf since the docrae rarely leave the forest. And the hunter elves respect the wishes of the docrae and do not speak of them when traveling in human lands. Centaurs, kitts, and silvans also live amongst the hunter elves as do a growing number of forest elves that escaped the fall of their homeland.

The hunter elves are clannish but they are ruled by a king. Halvarth has been the ruler of his people for centuries. He is a powerful cleric of Fenmarel and sorcerer of the Way. Few in the region would have the power to challenge him one on one. However, he is reaching his final years and it is only a matter of time before he crosses over into the wilds of the Beastlands. Whoever succeeds him will have a hard time living up to his legacy.

The Woodwash
This slow-moving river flows out of the southern half of Lake Qualitian, down through the Verdalf Forest, and flows into a small lake (no name yet) near the Hills of Antius. The river is the only major waterway through the Verdalf although it is rarely used for travel. The elves don't take kindly to outsiders sailing boats through the forest. Interlopers are warned only once; if they trespass again, their boat is sunk or confiscated depending upon how much resistance they put up.

If the elves don't get trespassers, the forest's fey denizens will. The lucky ones run into the elves first.

The reason for all this intolerance, besides the clandestine nature of the forest's denizens, is the risk that the river presents due to its source. The water leading into the The Woodwash comes eerie close to the corrupted parts of the Knotwood. Since its fall, detritus has floated down the river. And it doesn't help that three rural communities sit on the river. For while the citizens of the Midlands might be more in tune with nature than say the people of Anoria, they are a mix of humans, elves, halflings, and even half-orcs.

It is rumored that a kelpie has taken up residence in the river north of the Verdalf. It is blamed for several deaths amongst the citizenry of the Midlands.
Last edited by Knightfall on Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:58 am, edited 18 times in total.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: [Maps] The Lands of Harqual

Post by Knightfall » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:43 am

Anoria
Proper Name: The Fallen Domain of Anoria
Ruler: Anoria is ruled from the First Tier of the City-state of Flamerule; Mor’s End has a Lord Mayor who is little more than a figurehead.
Government: Infernal Dictatorship
Capital: Mor’s End
Major Towns: Lalaton (pop. – 3,000), Lamair (pop. – 900), Mor's End (pop. – 25,000)
Provinces: NA; the Warlord of the First Tier of Flamerule doesn’t share power. Those controlling Anoria’s vassal communities are fanatical followers of Warlord of the First Tier.
Resources: Grain, livestock (cattle/pigs), sapphires, slaves, and textiles (watersilk/wool).
Coinage: Hell’s Coin (pp), Blaze (gp), Canon (sp), Imp (cp); it is now forbidden to use the old coins of Anoria (see under the Kul Moren entry).
Population: 361,250 – Human 55%, Orc 10%, Goblinoid 10%, Dwarf (high or hill) 6%, Giant-Kin 4%, Half-Orc 4%, Halfling (hairfoot) 4%, Devil 2%, Duergar 2%, Elf (urbanite) 2%, Other Races 1%.
Languages: Anorian, Axiomatic, Common, Denila, Dwarven, Elven (forbidden), Giant, Goblin, Halfling (forbidden), Ignan, Infernal, Maviun, Orc, Terran, and Undercommon.
Alignments: LN, LE *, N, NE, (CG)
Patron God: Bel.
Major Religions: Abbathor, Asmodeus, Boccob, Dike, Druaga, Falazure, Halmyr, Hel, Laduguer, Loviatar, Math Mathonwy, Mephistopheles, Sanh, and Vergadain.
Minor Religions: Afflux, Apollo, Brandobaris, the Daghdha, Darahl, Dispater, Dumathoin, Hades, Inanna, Karontor, Levistus, Maglubiyet, Narvi, Nether, Surtur, Thoth, Wee Jas, and Xan Yae.
Cults: Alathrien, Amand, Annam, Bast, Chronepsis, Cronus, Cull, Dark God, Draven, Enduma, Faerinaal, Gaea, Hak, Kurtulmak, Nessus, Sarula, Sheela, Squerrik, Teve, Vespin, and Zell.
Alliances: City-state of Flamerule (the Warlord of the First Tier controls Anoria).

DM's Note: In my version of Mor's End, the City-state of Flamerule has been secretly controling Anoria since the Night of Invisible Blades. The Matriarch didn't survive and she was instead replaced by a powerful erinyes devil who is wizard/psion/cerebremancer.

The Order of the Silver Hand led an army to free the lands of the Kul Moren Mountains, which this devil took control of. Then they led their troops, called the Army of the Silver Fist, to Mor's End.

They were going to lay seige to the city, but with the help of many of the good-hearted souls of the city, they didn't have to. They took control of the citadel after a pitched battle against numerous devils and elite soldiers of Flamerule (who were in the city, secretly).

The erinyes devil escaped back to Flamerule, and the Army of the Silver Fist marched on that city, along with thousands of new recruits from Anoria, who swore alleigence to the Order of the Silver Hand. Many of these new recruits relocated to Cauldron after the war.

Before the erinyes fled, she turned the Colossi of Mor's End on the city itself, in an attempt to destroy it and delay the Army of the Silver Fist. Thus, much of Mor's End was ruined and it was unable to fend off Flamerule less than a year later, when the new Warlord of the First Tier of that city-state marched on Mor's End.

(The Order of the Silver Hand was unable to come to Anoria's aid, as they had agreed to a non-aggression treaty with Flamerule, to end the war. Flamerule promised to not attack any of the lands in the Kul Moren Mountains for 101 years.) It was a good deal for Cauldron and Kul Moren, but a bad one for Anoria and the other city-states and kingdoms of the Thunder Lands.)

MOR'S END
Large City
Other Names: Anoria City, The Fallen City (nickname), City of Crafts (nickname)
Political/Religious Affiliations: The City-state of Flamerule (Anoria is a vassal state of Flamerule); The Fallen Domain of Anoria (capitial city); Cabal of Bel (patron); Church of Apollo (minor [outlawed], in hiding); Church of Bast (outlawed, in hiding); Church of Druaga (minor); Church of Loviatar (major), Church of Math Mathonwy (major); Church of Nether (minor); Cult of Asmodeus (major); Cult of Dispater (minor); Cult of Levistus (minor).
Power Centers: Magical (Infernal sorcerers), monstrous (devils), nonstandard (various guilds have considerable power).
Alignment: Lawful evil
Fortified?: Yes; stone (thick, magically reinforced).
Epic?: No.
Main Export: Iron.
Organizations: Brotherhood of the Infernal Pact, Glazers Guild (oppressed), Glittering Brotherhood (oppressed), Guild of Guards (disbanded), Infernal Elite, Last Laugh Thieves' Guild, Merchants Council (disbanded), Silkers Circle (watched closely), and Wizards Cabal (exiled).
Noble House: Colquhoun, Culder (dwarven, revoked), Drekan (elven, revoked), Gunn, Haljan (revoked), Imar (dwarven, revoked), Innes, Kelvin (founding, exiled), Kerr, Linbak (halfling, revoked), Mac Iomhair (founding, exiled), Macgillivray, Murdoch (founding, exiled), Nitstar (elven, revoked), Ogilvie, Palmora (revoked), Phal (dwarven, revoked), Rankine (founding, exiled), Rochus, Skene, Silar (halfling, revoked), and Stangus (destroyed).
Adventurers Welcome?: No.
Notes: Mor's End, the EN World City Project, was created by various members of the online D&D/d20 community known as EN World. My version of Mor's End has changed significantly from what was created during that process. The city, and all of Anoria, has been subjugated by the Infernals of the City-state of Flamerule. All of the city's demihuman nobles have been stripped of their titles and forced into bondage. In fact, most of the noble houses of Anoria have either been forced out of the city or forced to bow down to the city's new Infernal masters. All of the founding houses have left the domain entirely.

Most of Mor's End's guilds have gone through a similar fall-from-grace. Only the Silkers Circle still has any power, and even they are watched by the Infernals. Members of the guild with ties to the old noble houses were forced to severe those ties or be taken away in chains. The Glazers Guild and the Glittering Brotherhood still exist in the city, but it is almost impossible for the members of those two organizations to make a living. The Guild of Guards and the Merchants Council were forced to disband, and the Wizards Cabal has been exile. The Last Laugh Thieves' Guild, once hunted in the city, have now rose to prominence.

Map being moved to a new web site. A new link will be provided once the image is active.
Last edited by Knightfall on Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:52 am

Kul Moren
Proper Names: The Dwarven Holds of Kul Moren, The Clans of the Silverbeard
Ruler(s): Kragg Arduun, Master Clanwarden [LG male high dwarf War10]; The Silverbeard, Toryn Stonecutter, Clanwarden and Master Smith [NG male hill dwarf Exp2/Ftr12/Rgr2/Deep Warden3]; The Stone-Heart Wizard, Master Arcanist [LN male hill dwarf Wiz15]
Government: Self-Proclaimed Monarchy
Capital: Kul Moren
Major Towns: Hollowsky (pop. – 1,500), Kohold (pop. – 900), Kul Moren (pop. – 6,000), Rivershorn (pop. – 500), Wallslad (pop. – 2,000).
Provinces: One dwarven lordship, three dwarven clan-holds & one human lordship, eight knight-holds, and over two-dozen isolated mountain steadings.
Resources: Armor and barding, dwarven ale, iron, livestock (pigs/sheep), and sapphires.
Coinage: Shield (pp), Hammer (gp), Sword (ep), Dagger (sp), Knife (cp); these were the coins of Anoria, but now they are only minted in Kul Moren.
Population: 130,000 – Dwarf (hill) 48%, Dwarf (high) 45%, Kobold 2%, Elf (urbanite) 1%, Gnome (rockwood) 1%, Halfling (hairfoot) 1%, Human 1%, Other Races 1%.
Languages: Anorian, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Halfling, and a pidgin form of Gnome.
Alignments: LG *, LN, NG, N, (NE), CG
Patron God: None.
Major Religions: Berronar, Clangeddin, Cull, Dumathoin, Kord, Moradin, Muamman, Ulaa, and Urogalan.
Minor Religions: Abbathor, Bast, Boccob, Calphas, Darahl, Dugmaren, Girru, Tarsellis, Jalivier, Vergadain, Vulcan, and Yondalla.
Cults: Anon, Arvoreen, Dark God, Eddelis, Erich, Flandal, Garl, Hades, Kul Kings, Math Mathonwy, Mór Mac Iomhair, Oghma, and Wotan.
Alliances: City-state of Flamerule (non-aggression, strained); Dominion of Cauldron (military); Principality of Pretensa.

DM's Note: Out of the ashes of the war between Anoria, Cauldron, and Flamerule rises a new an independant Kul Moren. On my world, Kul Moren has been a vassal state of Anoria for some time, which bothered many of its dwarven citizens, living in the mountains. They've never felt like equals with those living in the lowlands.

So when the "Matriarch" broke her word to the Order of the Silver Hand and took firm control of Cauldron and Kul Moren by force, the dwarves of Kul Moren rebelled. And when the Army of the Silver Fist reached the Hold of Kul Moren the battle for the dwarven city was over quickly, as the invaders found themselves fighting the army and dwarven citizens at the same time.

Many of the dwarves joined the army on the campaign against Mor's End and Flamerule, after their city was freed. When they learned that an erinyes devil was secretly controling Anoria, pretending to be the Matriarch they had, at least, respected it hit the dwarves hard. They decided then and there that Kul Moren would never again be ruled by nondwarves.

Kul Moren does have a strong military alliance with the Dominion of Cauldron but they refuse to give up their new found independance and create one kingdom that spans the entire Kul Moren Mountain Range. They will not be ruled from Cauldron, or anywhere else, for that matter. Those nondwarves living in the new Kul Moren must accept that they live in a dwarven kingdom, or live somewhere else. (Many of these ex-citizens were given the right to move to Cauldron, with the blessings of the dwarves and Cauldronites.)

HOLD OF KUL MOREN
Small City
Other Names: Clans of the Silverbeard
Political/Religious Affiliations: Church of Berronar (major); Church of Calphas (minor); Church of Clangeddin (major); Church of Cull (minor); Church of Dugmaren (minor); Church of Dumathoin (major); Kord (major); Church of Moradin (major); Church of Muamman (minor); Church of Ulaa (major); Cult of Erich; Cult of the Kul Kings; Cult of Mór Mac Iomhair.
Power Center: Nonstandard (clan elders).
Alignment: Lawful good
Fortified?: Yes; underground.
Main Export: Iron.
Authority Figures: Kragg Arduun [male high dwarf (Master Clanwarden of Kul Moren)]; The Stone-Heart Wizard [male hill dwarf (Master Arcanist of Kul Moren)]; Toryn Stonecutter [male dwarf (hill) (The Silverbeard, clanwarden and Master Smith of Kul Moren, member of the Order of the Silver Hand)].
Important Characters: Barendd “Colossus” Reusbloed [male high dwarf (giant-blooded, mute clanless dwarf)]; Brandon Raimer [male human (grew up in Kul Moren, is friends with Colossus)]; Jarwyn Eskan [male high dwarf (a local weaponsmith); Lidda Hilltopple [female hairfoot halfling (grew up in Kul Moren)], Neepnal [male kobold (a druid, grew up in Kul Moren)]; Tanhk [male high dwarf (a close friend of Toryn Stonecutter)]; Tebul and Ushbarte Jokulsson [male dwarves (twin dwarven smiths, members of the Order of the Silver Hand)]; The Four Brothers [male hill dwarves (soldiers of Kul Moren)].
Organizations: Glazers Guild (restricted), Glittering Brotherhood (restricted), Order of the Silver Hand, The Chisel (guild), and the Wardens of Kul Moren (the city's militia).
Dwarven Clans: Arduun, Coldrock, Culder, Eskan, Imar, Phal, Ruthar, Stonecutter, and Stone-Heart. (There are more but these are the major ones.)
Adventurers Welcome?: Yes, if they are good-hearted and non-chaotic.

No Map

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:23 pm

Pretensa
Proper Name: The Principality of Pretensa
Rulers: His Fair Lordship, Tiberiu Cojocaru, High Prince of Pretensa [NG male human Ari9/Rog5]; Flora Cheverell, High Magister of Immotion [NG female human Clr15 (Immotion)]
Government: Self-Proclaimed Monarchy / Theocracy
Capital: Pretensa
Major Towns: Beral (pop. – 900), Haulia (pop. – 3,093), Mirara (pop. – 2,354), Pretensa (pop. 8,685), Schafer (pop. – 3,861), Wellin (pop. – 2,091).
Provinces: One principality, three baronies, six lordships, and a dozen knight-holds.
Resources: General foodstuffs, lake fish, magic, stonework, and wood (deadfall only).
Coinage: Uses the minted coins from both the Kingdom of Izmer and the Dominion of Cauldron.
Population: 419,680 – Human 80%, Dwarf (sundered) 5%, Halfling (fire river) 5%, Elf (urbanite) 3%, Halfling (hairfoot) 2%, Half-Orc 2%, Dragontouched 1%, Kitt 1%, Other Races 1%.
Languages: Anorian, Common, Dwarven, Draconic, Elven, Eversinki, Gnome, Halfling, Kitt, Orc.
Alignments: LG, LN, NG *, N, (NE), CG
Patron God: Immotion.
Major Religions: Alathrien, Bast, Berronar, Calphas, Corellon, Cull, Cyrrollalee, the Daghdha, Ehlonna, Hades, Hanali, Jalivier, Kirith, Kord, Kuil, Larea, Mirella, Moradin, Muamman, Naralis, Ptah, Ramara, Sanh, Sehanine, Tamara, Tethrin, Wee Jas, Xan Yae, Yondalla, and Zelloran.
Minor Religions: Apollo, Astilabor, Boccob, Brandobaris, Brenna, Darahl, Dugmaren, Garl, Hak, Halmyr, Heward, Inanna, Issek, Math Mathonwy, Mayela, Melira, Mielikki, Mimir, Mussin, Rel, Sheela, Thoth, Valkar, Vergadain, Vespin, and Zell
Shrines and Cults: Abbathor, Anacoro, Angrboda, Anon, Casiia, Chaeon, Chronepsis, Damh, Draven, Enduma, Euphoria, Falazure, Gruumsh, Hendomar, Jaeger, Kikanuti, Narvi, Nessus, Ordana, Santè, Segojan, Sialic, Tharizdun, Thorn, Tok, Truce, Tulle, Tudsara, Urogalan, Vali, and Xuar.
Alliances: City-state of Caloric (tentative); Dominion of Cauldron (trade alliance); Dwarven Holds of Kul Moren (trade alliance); Verdalf (non-aggression).

DM's Note: While Pretensa is influenced more by The Thunder Lands than by the Kingdom of Izmer, it is still considered part of the Verdalf Forest Region, which includes not only Izmer but also Antius, the Principality of Shaule, and the hunter elf kingdom of the Verdalf Forest.

Pretensa still has cordial relations with Izmer although it cannot rely on its former queen for protection if Flamerule chooses to march against it. However, it can count on help from the Dominion of Cauldron; the two lands have become very close in short period of time. Relations with Kul Moren are nearly as good.

Pretensa also counts the hunter elves as their allies and the main reason for the split between the principality and Izmer was the political tension that exists between the hunter elves and Shaule. Queen Savina of Sumdall didn't take a hard line stance against Shaule when the city-state recently declared the western edge the Verdalf Forest to be within its political boundaries. This declaration has led to expansion and to logging.

Pretensa watches its eastern boundaries with concern. Anoria has been completely engulfed by Flamerule's evil. The Fallen Domain's citizens have never been shining examples of good, so the worry is that it won't take much whipping and prodding from the worst in Flamerule to turn the citizens of Mor's End against the citizens of Pretensa. It is a strange, unpredictable situation since several of the more enlightened noble houses exiled from Mor's End have petitioned to move their noble entitlements to Pretensa. So far, Prince Tiberiu has granted them conditional status within the principality, but the Anorian exiles have little sway in Pretensa's society.

PRETENSA
Small City
Other Names: Heart of Immotion
Political/Religious Affiliations: Principality of Pretensa (capital city); church of Bast (minor); church of Immotion (major); church of Jalivier (major); church of Kord (major); church of Oghma (major); church of Ramara (minor); church of Yondalla (minor).
Power Center: Conventional (the Prince); magical (temple of Immotion).
Alignment: Neutral Good
Fortified?: Yes; stone (thick, magically protected).
Main Export: Magic.
Authority Figures: Tiberiu Cojocaru, Prince of Pretensa (male human); Flora Cheverell, High Magister of Immotion (female human); Debora Cojocaru, Prince's Consort (female human); Tomas Vaughan, Captain of the Guard (male human).
Important Characters: Amber Cojocaru, Princess of Pretensa (female human); Dahlia Mingor, a conjurer (female human); Jakob Doggetall, City Guard Lieutenant (male human); Katya Cojocaru, Princess of Pretensa (female human); Radomir Firewind, swashbuckler and noble family's illegitimate son (male half-elf); "The Pouch," famous rogue and scoundrel (male human).
Organizations: Disciples of the Bloodsun, Disciples of the Way, Order of the Silver Hand, and the Striders of the Dawn.
Noble Houses: Cojocaru, de Ravenhowe, Dimichevaler, Firewind (elven), la Selkwimman, Mac Iomhair (conditional, exiled from Anoria), Mingor, Murdoch (conditional, exiled from Anoria), Pauker, Rankine (conditional, exiled from Anoria), Sacheverell, Spirlea, Vaughan, and Zeklos.
Adventurers Welcome?: Yes.
Notes: Prince Tiberiu Cojocaru is the cousin of the Queen of Izmer. His wife was a commoner who he married against his parents’ wishes. However, Queen Savina gave her blessing to the union, and, thus, his parents had no choice but to accept the marriage. They have two children, Princess Amber and Princess Katya.

No Map

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: The Lands of Harqual: Maps and More!

Post by Knightfall » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:00 pm

Caloric
Proper Name(s): The City-state of Caloric, The City of Spires
Rulers: A council of the city’s wealthy elite, which is made up of the powerful noble and mercantile families that control the spire kinships.
Government: Plutocracy
Capital: Caloric
Major Towns: Caloric (pop. – 98,450)
Provinces: One centrally located spire kinship, four major spire kinships, eight minor spire kinships, a dozen nonaligned towers, a dozen wards in the lower city, and over two-dozen knight-holds & minor lordships surrounding the city (within 50 to 100 miles). There are many more spires in Caloric than just the kinship spires, but these are controlled by the major religions of the city-state. Minor religions (and cults) don’t have their own spires, and have their temples scattered throughout the lower city’s wards.
Resources: Exotic animals, griffons (and other flying mounts), magic (general), refined metals, and spelljamming gear & ships.
Coinage: Spire (gp), Tower (sp), Griffon (cp). Caloric has had other types of coin, in the past, but they never stayed in style. The three types of coins listed here are the only coins minted in the city, now, although coins from Anoria and Cauldron are accepted in the city-state.
Population: 1,230,625 – Human 35%, Halfling (hairfoot) 18%, Elf (urbanite) 15%, Goblinoid 10%, Dwarf (sundered) 8%, Half-Elf 6%, Elf (desert) 3%, Halfling (fire river) 2%, Half-Orc 2%, Other Races 1%.
Languages: Anorian, Auran, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Goblin, Halfling, Kitt, Orc, and a pidgin form of Gnome amongst the poor and homeless.
Alignments: All, dominated by LN.
Major Religions: Alathrien, Aoskar, Apollo, Aurifar, Berronar, Boccob, Celestian, Chronepsis, Cyrrollalee, Cull, Gruumsh, Hades, Heward, Immotion, Inanna, Jalivier, Lendys, Math Mathonwy, Mayela, Meriadar, Moradin, Olidammara, Ptah, Sanh, Stronmaus, Valkar, Wee Jas, and Yondalla.
Minor Religions: Annam, Arvoreen, Astilabor, Avatea, Azul, Bast, Calphas, Clangeddin, Corellon, Darahl, Dike, Draven, Druaga, Eddelis, Erythnul, Eshebala, Girru, Halmyr, Hanali, Hiatea, Issek, Kuil, Maglubiyet, Mahridaar, Oghma, Ramara, Tethrin, Thoth, Tyche, Urogalan, Vergadain, Viccan, and Xan Yae.
Shrines and Cults: Amand, Anon, Asmodeus, Barachiel, Brandobaris, Ces, Cronus, Dispater, Domiel, Dugmaren, Erathaol, Erevan, Emcey, Enduma, Graz’zt, Hruggek, Ilsensine, Jaeger, Kurtulmak, Malcanthet, Muamman, Santè, Sathia, Shoku, Sialic, Surtur, Squerrik, Thera, Truce, Uranus, Vespin, Zell, and Zoser.
Alliances: Dominion of Cauldron (strained); Principality of Pretensa (tentative).

DM's Note: This city-state has become a major campaign locale for my Order of the Silver Hand/Shackled City campaign. The city was inspired by the "idea of Sharn," but without that city's Eberron baggage. (Since I wrote this I have placed Sharn on Kulan. -KF) It also pays homage to spelljammer and the idea of airships. This city-state has quickly grown into the major spelljamming and airship port in the region.

The city-state is a powerful plutocracy, and those with power are very rich, while those without power, must survive on the streets of the wards of the Lower City. Those living the "high life" in the city-state's many spires rarely visit the Lower City, although the faithful of the North Gods are an exception to this.

The Lower City is controlled by a powerful thieves' guild, which can be both benign and malign, depending on who the guild members are dealing with. Woe to any uptight rich flop who goes slumming in the Lower City. Death will be the least of his/her problem. Slavery and undeath is outlawed throughout the spires and towers, but it runs rampant through the Lower City.

This city-state is also one of the only places in the Thunder Lands, along with the City-state of Flamerule, where the followers of the Sword Gods aren't attacked on site. Several temples to the Sword Gods exist in Caloric, with the Spire of the Miser, dedicated to Math Mathonwy, being the largest. A temple dedicated to Druaga also stands, unhindered, in the worst part of the Lower City.

The temples dedicated to the North Gods are always working towards ejecting the followers of the Sword Gods from the city-state. This has led to a running street war between the faithful of the North Gods (including, most prominently, the churches of Bast & Kuil) vs. the evil priests of Druaga and their summoned, fiendish allies. The thieves' guild doesn't take sides in this religious, street war, preferring to hang onto its own holdings.

CALORIC
Metropolis
Other Names: The Border City, The City of Spires, Traders' Way
Political/Religious Affiliations: Church of Bast (minor); church of Dike (minor); church of Druaga (minor); church of Hades (major); church of Inanna (major); church of Jalivier (major); church of Kuil (minor); church of Math Mathonwy (major), and the church of Wee Jas (major).
Power Center: Nonstandard (plutocracy); magical (major churches have considerable power).
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Fortified?: Yes; stone (thick). Caloric's wall was designed to protect the Lower City; it has only one gate, which is kept closed during most of the day. (It is usually open from late morning to mid-afternoon.) Most of the city's 'important visitors' arrive by air. The city's wall doesn't have any towers.
Epic?: Yes.
Main Export: Griffions and other flying mounts.
Important Characters: Eddanar Westergard, High Lightservant of the Temple of the Burning Sun (male human); Eldon Gorddio, High Magus of the Temple of Mysteries (male human); Perra Cassani, Warmistress of the Towering Cathedral of War (female human).
Other Characters: Maple, member of the Halfling Syndicate (female halfling [lightfoot]); Skie Aldersun, proprietor of Skie's Treasury (female halfling [hairfoot]); Tygot Mispas, a middle-class merchant (male halfling [hairfoot]).
Organizations: Halfling Syndicate, Last Laugh Thieves' Guild, and the Wizards Cabal (exiled from Anoria).
Noble Houses: Amster, Cassani, Fordham, Hyles, Kelvin (exiled from Anoria), Keshaun, Mikolon, Naramore, Quaas, Swatzell, Tonder, Vaccaro, Westergard, and Youngbloed.
Adventurers Welcome?: Varies (adventurers are welcome throughout the spires and towers of the city, but they aren't trusted in the Lower City)
Notes: Caloric is known as the City of Spires due to the numerous spires and towers that dominates the city-state's skyline. There are 40 spires and tower located throughout the city with 13 being kinship spires, 15 being church spires, and a dozen non-aligned towers.

No Map

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:00 am

Calot
Proper Name: The Barony of Calot
Ruler: His Humble Sire, Baron Davil Forestwind [N male half-elf Ari5/War7]
Government: Self-Proclaimed Monarchy
Capital: Calotown
Major Towns: Calotown (pop. – 3,645), Fenton (pop. – 465), Helg (pop. – 1,899), Hillside (pop. – 1,340), Ialin (pop. – 721), Wallwatch (pop. – 299)
Provinces: One baronial lordship and five knight-holds.
Resources: Beer, grain, livestock (cattle, horses, oxen, and pigs), poultry and eggs, and vegetables.
Coinage: None; uses the minted coins of Cauldron and Minar for most transactions. Does have local barter system based on livestock, however.
Population: 104,600 – Human 38%, Halfling (hairfoot) 18%, Elf (forest) 9%, Kitt 8%, Dwarf (hill) 5%, Half-Elf 4%, Half-Orc 4%, Elf (hunter) 3%, Other Races 3%.
Languages: Anorian, Common, Dwarven, Elven, Halfling, Gnoll, Goblin, Orc, Sylvan, Tiani.
Alignments: LN, NG, N *, NE, CG.
Major Religions: Brenna, Casiia, Corellon, the Daghdha, Ehlonna, Hades, Hendomar, Larea, Math Mathonwy, Melira, Mielikki, Muamman, Naralis, Solonor, Sheela, and Valkar.
Minor Religions: Angrboda, Apollo, Araleth, Balador, Boccob, Cull, Dike, Hak, Kuil, Ordana, Ramara, Rellavar, Rillifane, Sylvian, Tethrin, Tok, Urogalan, Vergadain, and Wee Jas.
Shrines and Cults: Abbathor, Anacoro, Enduma, Euphoria, Fenmarel, Ferrix, Gaea, Nephthys, Nessus, Rhea, Sarula, Sialic, Thorn, Tulle, Tyche, Vespin, and Wotan.
Alliances: Duchy of Minar (trade alliance); Mathghamhna (military); The Midlands (military).

DM's Note: Calot is a young land that just recently gained the recognition of self-rule. It was strongly allied with the Duchy of Minar to the northeast in the past. Now, it stands on its own; however, it still trades goods with Minar. While magical tradition isn't strong in Calot, there are several practitioners in the barony. Most were trained by the College of Wizardry when it was in the Kingdom of Thallin. Now that the Arcane Order has relocated to the island chain in the center of Lake Qualitian, an alliance has formed between Calot and Mathghamhna. The fall of the Knotwood has strengthened this alliance into one of mutual military protection.

The citizens of Calot have a sort of love-hate relationship with the citizens of the Midlands to the north (not shown on this map). In the past, the two lands were often at odds over farming territory and fishing rights, but, now that the Knotwood is full of fiends, the Midlands is all that stands between Calot and destruction. As a result, the two lands work together to hold the fiends and blood elves at bay, which isn't easy. Their enemies give no quarter, and the two lands don't always agree on how best to defend their homes from the invaders. The people of Calot prefer to fall back to the Woodwall whenever possible while the Midlanders prefer to do so only as a last resort.
The Woodwall is the dividing line between The Midlands and the Barony of Calot. the two lands have fought over territory rights on this spot, dozens of times. Now, it used by both lands as a place to fall back to if hard pressed by blood elves, demons, or worse from The Knotwood. (Note that many of the non-fortified communities are usually abandoned when a major attack occurs. These communities are rebuilt later.)

It is basically a large wall of spiked logs that juts out of the ground. The spiked logs are full trees that are half buried in the ground. These tree logs are hardly uniform in which directions they face. A hill has built up around the trees of the Woodwall, which means this ground is higher than most of the rest of surrounding farmland. A series of interconnected wood planks and stone slabs zigzags through the Woodwall, which is a bit confusing to those that don't understand how the structure was built.

The tree logs used were either purchased from the hunter elves (deadfall) or, in ages past, poached from the outer reaches of the Knotwood. The logs are treated with an alchemical substance that offers them protection from normal fire. Magical fire can cause them to burn, and many of the logs are scorched. The Woodwall is effective mainly against calvary and giants; however, the steepness of the slope offers some protection from humanoid attacks as well.

CALOTOWN
Large Town
Other Names: The Last Stand (nickname).
Political/Religious Affiliations: Barony of Calot (capital); church of Apollo (minor); church of Corellon (major); church of Cull (minor); church of Dike (minor); church of Hades (major); church of Kuil (minor); church of Math Mathonwy (major, restricted); church of Melira (major), church of Muamman (major); church of Sheela (major); church of Wee Jas (minor); cult of Anacoro; cult of Enduma (in hiding); cult of Fenmarel; cult of Wotan.
Power Center: Conventional (baron); nonstandard (guild).
Alignment: Neutral.
Main Export: Beer.
Noble Houses: Ambersong (elven), Callin (halfling), Forestwind (mixed), Knobel, Orewood (dwarven), and Randall.
Adventurers Welcome?: Yes.

No Map

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:36 pm

Diabolic Enclaves
Proper Name(s): The Diabolic Enclaves, The City-state of Flamerule
Rulers: Warlord of the Ninth Tier
Government: Infernal Dictatorship
Capital: Flamerule
Major Towns: Flamerule (pop. – 530,000), Klarode (pop. – 5,400), Kyllion (pop. – 1,250), Sarpit (pop. – 2,000)
Provinces: Nine tiers of the city-state, three vassal townships, a dozen knight holds, spread along the Milvius River, and dozens of humanoid encampments located throughout the Hather Plains.
Resources: Armor and barding, charcoal, metals (lead, tin, and zinc), slaves, and weapons.
Coinage: Hell’s Coin (pp), Blaze (gp), Canon (sp), Imp (cp).
Population: 6,733,125 – Human 37%, Orc 20%, Goblinoid 18%, Giant-Kin 10%, Half-Orc 7%, Duergar 4%, Devil 2%, Other Races 2%
Languages: Anorian, Axiomatic, Common, Denila, Giant, Goblin, Ignan, Infernal, Maviun, Orc, Terran, and Undercommon.
Alignments: LN, LE *, N, NE
Patron Gods: Archdevils of Baator.
Major Religions: Abbathor, Aurifar, Azul, Dike, Druaga, Laduguer, Loviatar, Maglubiyet, Math Mathonwy, Olaash, Ptah, and Wee Jas.
Minor Religions: Angrboda, Boccob, Brandobaris, Hades, Halmyr, Ilsensine, Karontor, Kurtulmak, Mussin, Nether, Squerrik, Surtur, Tharizdun, Thoth, Urogalan, Vergadain, Xan Yae, and Xuar.
Shrines and Cults: Alathrien, Amand, Anacoro, Cronus, Darahl, Dark God, Enduma, Falazure, Gaea, Maanzecorian, Mellifleur, Nessus, Patient One, Teve, Tiamat, Tulle, Tyche, Sulerain, Uranus, Untamo, Vespin, and Zell.
Alliances: Black Kingdom of the Thunder Orcs (military); Dominion of Cauldron (non-aggression, strained); Dwarven Holds of Kul Moren (non-aggression, strained); Fallen Domain of Anoria (is controlled by the Warlord of the First Tier).

DM's Note: Most of the First Tier of the city-state of Flamerule was destroyed in the war against the Dominion of Cauldron. Also, portions of the Second Tier were magically flooded during the last battle by the wizard Hezekiah Grofus. Most of this flooding has run off into the Underearth, but their are still portions of the Second Tier under water. (The lower tiers were not affected by this flooding as they are magically and physically protected from flooding.)

The repair efforts haven't gone smoothly as the new Warlord of the First Tier* took control of Anoria shortly after the conflict, and his forces are now divided between the First Tier of Flamerule and Anoria. Keeping firm control of both is a delicate balancing act, at best, and a major headache, at the worst of times.

*The previous Warlord of the First Tier was a horned devil. (It was killed in the war.) The new Warlord is a half-fiend who is the son of the Warlord of the Second Tier. His mother is rumored to have been a nonhumanoid, possibly a giant or an ogre.

FLAMERULE
Metropolis
Other Names: The City of Burning Tiers, The Thraalhold of Baator
Political/Religious Affiliations: Diabolic Enclaves (capitial city); Infernal Church of Baator (major); church of Abbathor (major), church of Angrboda (minor), church of Aurifar (major), church of Azul (major), church of Boccob (minor), church of Dike (major), church of Druaga (major), church of Hades (minor, in hiding), church of Halmyr (minor, in hiding), church of Karontor (minor), church of Laduguer (major), church of Loviatar (major), church of Maglubiyet (major), church of Math Mathonwy (major), church of Mussin (minor), church of Nether (minor), church of Olaash (major), church of Ptah (major), church of Surtur (minor), church of Tharizdun (minor, in hiding), church of Thoth (minor), church of Wee Jas (major), church of Xuar (minor); cult of Amand, cult of Cronus, cult of the Dark God, cult of Enduma, cult of Ilsensine, cult of Teve, cult of Vespin, cult of Zell (in hiding).
Power Center: Nonstandard/monstrous (warlords); magical (diabolic church).
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Fortified?: Yes; iron (thick). Flamerule's outer wall has considerable magical defenses that have been upgraded since the war with Cauldron.
Epic?: Yes.
Main Export: Metal goods.
Noble Houses: TBD
Adventurers Welcome?: No.
Notes: Flamerule has nine tiers that descend into the earth. The top tier is the First Tier and the bottom tier is the Ninth Tier. The First Tier is the least powerful of the nine tiers and is on the surface. It overlooks the Second Tier like an encircling balcony. The bulk of Flamerule's "lesser" population lives on the Second Tier. The city-state's elite live on the lowest tiers. Each tier is "ruled" by a warlord; the Warlord of the Ninth Tier rules the Diabolic Enclaves.

No Map
Last edited by Knightfall on Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:04 am

The Thunder Lands (cont.)

THUNDER MOUNTAINS REGION
This was the original area dubbed the Thunder Lands. The Barony of Liran and the orc city-state called Vish'Na'Ka came first. Built around the background material detailed in the AD&D 2E module called "The Silver Key," Yuln and the Freeholds of the Strand came next. Those lands were the starting point. After I added the events of the Transformation to my setting, Tschaja appeared in the Lands of Harqual. Around the same time, I thought about adding the Thunder Rift into the Thunder Mountains. I decided against it, but I could never look at this map without imagining it to the south of the Mountain of Black Smoke.

Thus, I added it back even though I no longer have the "Thunder Rift" accessory for the D&D Game. The Vaults of Pandius web site was able to fill in the details I'd forgotten. Eventually, I do want to reacquire the accessory; I also want to collect all the modules set in the Thunder Rift. My version of the rift won't "feel" as isolated since it is in the middle of a political powder keg.

At some point, I want to reacquire The Silver Key as as well. However, Liran and Vish'Na'Ka have changed into something different than Honshar and Krimba-Hai. Liran's people are less insular and the barony's communities are relatively secure from minor orc incursions. And while humans are dominant in Liran, there are also elves, halfings, and dwarves living in the barony.

Vish'Na'Ka is much more than a city full of vicious orcs. It is a well organized city-state with its own political power in the region. The mountain orcs of what has become known as the Black Kingdom have alliances with the Diabolic Enclaves as well as the bugbear tribes of the Sunus Mountains and the Kingdom of Thallin to the north. Other races living in the Black Kingdom include humans, standard orcs, half-orcs, giants, goblins, and the duergar.

The Free City of Yuln might have been placed on the map after Liran, but in the history of Harqual, it is a more established political entity. Yuln was built on the ruins of an ancient city long before anyone else was living in this region. Therefore, it is one of the oldest cities on the continent. In this part of the eastern lands of Northern Harqual, only the City of Stonn to the north on the Jagged Peninsula is older than Yuln. The city is a mix of cultures and races. It has always been independent, which is why it has become known as The Sovereign City.

When a person has no other place to go, they can often find a place in Yuln as long as they are willing to work hard.

The lands north of Yuln's territory is a rugged place known as the Freeholds of the Strand or, more commonly, the Strandlands. The word 'strand' has a literary meaning that applies to why this land of warriors is called the Strandlands, which is: a beach or shore. The People of the Strand depend greatly on what their shores provide from fish and seafood to sand and rock. The catches off the coast of the Strandlands are some of the best anywhere on Harqual. Plus, the coastline is filled with valuable ores and minerals. The shore's sand is also excellent for making glass.

There is another independent community in this region worth noting. On the edge of the Thunder Rift, a town called Thunder Pass sits on the only road that exits the mountain vale towards the west. The town grew out of the trade caravans that traveled from the rift to the Barony of Liran. As a community, Thunder Pass is strongly lawful. However, its growing society is less inclined towards good that the peoples of the rift. This and the high trade taxes that the town's lord places on the rifters, as he calls them, has led to a strained relationship between Thunder Pass and the citizens of the rift.

If it wasn't for the southern road leading down past Titan's Stone, the peoples of the rift would be completely dependent on the good will of Lord Tannin Warrson. Regardless, it is a tense situation that could lead to violence. It doesn't help that Thunder Pass has had a trade alliance with the Free City of Yuln since it was nothing more than a tent town. Note that traders who pass through Titan's Stone must pay a (less burdensome) tax to Yuln's coffers.

SITES
Bartan (Ruin)
This small ruin is an abandoned village that was once allied to the Strandlands. Bartan was abandoned by the family of fishermen that founded it because of pirate activity. That was over a hundred years ago and now its wall and buildings are empty shells that are constantly beaten down by the region's storms. A group of pirates tried to take over the village shortly after it was abandoned, but they were crushed by a combined force from Brand Hills Hold and Caihan Hold. The few pirates that survived fled; it has remained abandoned ever since.

However, the ruined village does see traffic come through it when caravans or adventurers travel along the coast from Unnra to Blackwater. The Kha of Tschaja have petitioned the Gerousia for permission to annex the ruined village, so that they can rebuild on the site. So far, the Gerousia has refused since they still consider Bartan to be within the Strandland's borders. It is possible they may change their mind since there is a great deal of uncertainty regarding the future of Dibra, and the unsettling behavior of its varied peoples.

Baron's Hold (Keep)
There are many keeps scattered across the Thunder Lands and several of them are more impressive than Baron's Hold in stature; however, in deeds, few can be said to have survived the ordeals that this bastion of righteousness has endured. The keep is the strongest line of defense between Vish'Na'Ka and Liran City. And its importance has only increased since the destruction of Crag Hold five years ago. The keep's defenders have also had to contend with the darkness emanating from the mysterious tower known as The Black Spire, which sits at the cross-waters of the Thunder River and The Hillrun.

The fortress is typical for its kind and it has stood at the edge of the hills surrounding the Thunder Mountains since the founding of Liran. Back then, it was little more than a wood and dirt fort. It has been destroyed and rebuilt so many times that people of Liran have lost count. Its most recent reconstruction happened ten years ago after a rogue dragon, that lairs somewhere in the mountain range, decided that the keep was a threat to its power base. Yet, that wyrm didn't ruin it completely. Instead it knocked down one section, killed a dozen soldiers, and ate all the livestock. The few survivors of the attack said that the dragon rummaged around the base of one tower like it was looking for something before taking wing. It has not returned.

The keep is made from thick stone and it is shaped like a trapezoid. The longest wall of the keep is built into the hillside. The shortest wall faces towards Liran City. Its walls are fifteen feet high along the hillside and thirty feet high near its main gate. It has five towers, one at each corner with the final, larger tower located in the center of its longest wall. The keep is surrounded by a 10-foot high curtain wall which extends up onto the hillside. It is roughly 50 feet distant from the keep's walls although it is shaped like a large, irregular oval. The keep has two main levels; the upper level doesn't cut into the hillside although there are underground cellars that extend under the hill.

The Black Spire (Special)
This massive tower is thought to be one of the oldest structures in the region. It has stood at the cross-waters of The Hillrun and the Thunder River since before the founding of the Free City of Yuln. Sages speculate that it has some sort of connection to the Sandstone Tower that sits in the hinterlands of the Great Expanse, although The Black Spire is made out of obsidian instead on sandstone. The two towers do look similar, yet The Black Spire oozes pure evil in comparison to its desert counterpart. Perhaps the towers were part of a link of fortresses from a time before the Black Wars -– no one really knows.

The tower is covered in dozens of doors and shuttered windows at various heights; there doesn't seem to be a pattern to how these doors and windows are laid out. Eerie green light shines through the cracks at night, which keeps most locales away from the structure. Boats sailing down from near Thunder Pass rarely anchor near the tower or the shallow lake that sits just north of it. Boat captains prefer to anchor in Zuraw at the end of The Hillrun or along the northern banks of the Thunder River near Baron's Hold. Only thieves, assassins, and other sly folk dare to sail through and/or anchor in Spire Lake at night. There are rumors going around that a new cult has sprung up in the area; these cultists worship the tower as a conduit to the lower planes.

Bleak Tower
In the hills of the Thunder Mountains north of the orc city of Vish'Na'Ka, a structure known as Bleak Tower sits in relative isolation. The tower has a mysterious past, but compared to The Black Spire, it is relatively new edifice. No one knows who built the tower, but it has been home to many evil arcanists over the centuries. The last infamous person to inhabit the tower was a human warlock named Arsen Magorian. He was a foreigner from beyond Harqual's shores, and was as evil as they come. Even the mountain orcs refused to deal with him. His pacts were usually with demons, but it was whispered that he dabbled with alienism. Eventually, he was killed by a trio of vicious adventurers from Flamerule. Two of the adventurers died in the spell battle that ensued; the third claimed the tower and Arsen's magic & wealth for himself.

Ermes Quaranta [LN male tiefling Sorcerer 10/Adept of Flame 4] prefers to keep to himself, but he has been forced to accept a garrison from Flamerule near his tower. The men stationed near Bleak Tower give it a wide berth, as legends say that otherworldly beasts stalk around it at night. The tower is said to be touched by the power of chaos and that all those choose to dwell within are doomed to go mad. Ermes finds these legends to be nothing but the ignorant ghost stories of mountain orcs and tribal riders of the Hather Plains. So far, the sorcerer seems fine, yet no one knows for sure if he's okay. He rarely accepts visitors and has little patience for overly curious adventurers. Those that have visited the tower notice that there seems to be a sense of dread that hangs over the land and the hills within 5 miles of the structure are stark and eerily quiet.

Brand Hills Hold (Keep)
For generations, Brand Hills Hold has stood in defence of the Free City of Yuln and its vassal communities around Lake Ana. Built just over two centuries ago, Brand Hills Hold has withstood countless assaults from the mountain orcs of the Black Kingdom. The soldiers of the keep work in conjunction with the seasoned militia of the town of Titan's Stone to patrol the hills and valley of the southeastern part of the Thunder Mountains. Since the mountains are also home to ogres, trolls, and other evil denizens there is always a new threat to fight. However, it is the mountain orcs that are the biggest challenge and orc patrols have increased in recent years, as they move to infiltrate the Brand Hills in order to strike at Tschaja, the City of the Kha. So far, there have only been skirmishes.

Brand Hills Hold is very well fortified and sits in a low valley surrounded by hills. Strategically, its position is both vital and tenuous. The valley it sits in is the easiest way to travel to and from the Freeholds of the Strand. Lord Harian Mal often hires mercenaries from the Strandlands when times are tough, and the valley must stay open for the flow of men and payment. The shores along the east coast are sometimes home to sly brigands and pirate dens. Large caravans are usually safe, but lone travelers are not. Brand Hills Hold also offers a safe place, comparatively, to rest in the chaos of ongoing hostilities with the mountain orcs. The hills surrounding the keep are constantly patrolled and there are small forts located in strategic places.

Due to the large number of battles that have taken place near the keep, the land surrounding it is covered with old, rusted armor and weapons, as well as the bones of the dead. Graves are everywhere, which gives the valley an eerie feeling. Outsiders rarely stay long. The plains are rumored to be haunted, but most believe these are just a few restless souls -– nothing unusually dangerous. Food and supplies are brought in from Titan's Stone, but the keep does have a deep well, which is often purified by clerics stationed at the keep. Only a handful of hardy souls (some would say crazy) live at the keep year round. Even the keep's commander is rotated. Some soldiers consider being stationed at the keep an honor while others consider it a curse.

Caihan Hold (Keep)
This keep is the primary fortification in the Freeholds of the Strand not connected to a town or village. The keep built into the walls of Ironsoul (called Ruane Keep) might be more impressive than Caihan Hold, but it is this keep that works to protect all the hamlets and villages along the rivers east of the Iron Woods. The villages of Blackwater and Kells do have walls and guard towers, but the communities are only defended by militias on a day-to-day basis. When true threats emerge, it is Caihan Hold that comes to the rescue. It's well trained riders can reach most of the coastal communities within a day. Patrols in the hills near the coast are constant.

The keep's soldiers are also responsible to patrolling the Iron Woods to look for poachers and dangerous beasts. The former is a bigger problem than the latter; however, there are always problems with smaller monstrous spiders in the forest. However, the more dangerous vermin live along the cliffs of the coast, and there are very dangerous sand spiders that cause havoc along the Sheach Headlands near Carnell and Kells. The warriors of Caihan Hold are very skilled at fighting vermin and many of them are rangers. The garrison also has a significant number of scouts amongst its ranks.

The keep itself is in good condition, although it rarely needs intense amounts of work, as it sits far enough away from the Thunder Mountains to suffer orc or ogre attacks. Plus, it sits far enough from the coast to shelter it from the storms that often plague the Standlands' communities. Flooding from the nearby rivers is more of a risk, but the keep was built on high enough ground that it would take the overflow of all the Standlands rivers to truly threaten it. (Caihan Hold is a shell keep.)

Convoke Spire (Tower)
This ornate tower is believed to be the gathering place for a secretive group of arcanists who are all summoners. This rumor has been circulating in the Freeholds of the Strand for so long that it is considered a legend. Arcanists do seem drawn to the tower and a few have even made it inside. Those that manage to exit the tower rarely talk about what they saw inside, and those that do often find themselves plagued by horrid dreams of vile otherworldly beings. A writer originally from Deepwater, a man named Volker Godebert, penned a treatise about the Convoke Spire, which included many versions of the legend, a firsthand account of the tower including a detailed description of its exterior, and the stories that have come from those survivors that have entered it. (He never entered the tower, as far as anyone knows.)

The name given to the arcanists who visit the tower varies by who is telling the story. Most simply call them the Summoners. The group's membership isn't widely known, but there is an arcanist from Yuln who often makes trips to and from the tower, much to the chagrin of the Gerousia -- the rulers of the Standlands. They consider him and his group to be interlopers in their lands but don't have magical resources to confront the Summoners. Liam Ó Suaird [LN male human Wiz10 (Summoner)] is a secretive man who doesn't appreciate nosy questions about the tower or his personal business. Volker tried to speak to him once, but it did not end well for the writer. After penning his work on the Convoke Spire, Volker was forced to flee to the Far South. No one has ever seen his treatise since it is believed that Ó Suaird confiscated it.

Copies are rumored to exist, but it is more likely that Volker Godebert still has the original manuscript. Where he is, no one really knows.

Crag Hold (Ruin)
This ruined keep used to be the northern bastion for the Barony of Liran against the orcs of the Black Kingdom. It was destroyed five years ago (752 N.C.) during a vicious assault by a huge band of ogres and orcs. It has not been proven whether or not the attack was planned by the chieftain of the Thunder Orc tribes, Thok Sidesplitter [LE male mountain orc Clr8 (Gruumsh)/Ftr8], yet few in the barony doubt that he wasn't involved in some manner. At the very least, it is believed that the orc man knew the attack was going to happen.

The end result was the complete destruction of the keep and the dismemberment of its protectors. It is rumored that the few survivors were carried off to be enslaved or eaten. Crag Hold is now nothing but rotting timbers and crumbling stone. The citizens of Braehall avoid it. They believe it is haunted; however, there isn't any evidence of ghosts or other undead presences in or around the ruin. What there is evidence of are lots of monstrous rats and other vermin.

While the keep didn't have a complex dungeon under it, it did have a small series of cellars, which were used to store foodstuffs and extra weaponry. The marauders found most of the storerooms, but it isn't known whether or not they found the weapons cache. The baron has had little time to send men out to determine if the weapons are still there and useable. And, there is no telling what might have moved into the dank cellars. It might be a job for adventurers; after all, such heroes are expendable.

DM's Note: After the keep's destruction, the fortifications surrounding the village of Braehall were strengthened. A new tower is being built at the center of the village and many believe Braehall will grow into a town to rival Hawks' Hall.

Dibra (Hut Village)
Still to be written.

The Edgehouse (Roadhouse)
Still to be written.

Firesoul Hold (Keep)
Still to be written.

Khahold (Keep)
Still to be written.

The Monastary (Fortress)
Still to be written.

Pactstone (Battle Site)
Still to be written.

Strand Keep
Still to be written.

Tornhall (Ruin [plus dungeon complex])
The ruined keep known as Tornhall is remnant of the Black Wars. Long before the Strandlands came into existence, this keep was the home to a number of warlords that ruled over the entire region between The Breakwash and the Roan River, as well as the hills surrounding the northern half of the Thunder Mountains. No one is sure exactly how the keep was destroyed or what was its original name. The locales simply began calling it Tornhall because the ruins look like they were torn apart and scattered by something very, very large.

Tornhall has an extensive dungeon system, which draws in adventurers from all over the Thunder Lands, as well as the Barony of Wolffire and Duchy of Minar. While the dungeons of Tornhall aren't as massive as Bergunter Masse under the city of Deepwater, the complex does have around six to nine known levels with several other levels rumored to exist. There is always something dangerous living in the dungeons, which has prevented the Gerousia from successfully expanding the Strandlands into the mountains surrounding Tornhall.

All attempts to rebuild the keep have proved fruitless, as workers always disappear or are found crucified outside the keep. Even mountain orcs have been found crucified; however, adventurers that challenge the ruin's dungeons are never discovered in such a manner. More often they are simply never heard from again. The latest rumor is that a rogue dragon lives in a hidden level and that it eats all those who are unfortunate to discover its lair. Most scoff at this rumor since there is no evidence to support such a claim.

An older rumor is that a cabal of ogre scions controls the entire dungeon complex and that they constantly restock the dungeons levels to entice adventurers to seek treasure. Instead, those that don't escape are captured by the scions' servants and are either sacrificed to Vaprak or sold into slavery in the Underearth. The mountain orcs of Vish'Na'Ka believe this rumor is true and consider the denizens under Tornhall to be a major threat to their kingdom's continued existence.

TERRAIN
Baron's Forest
Still to be written.

Brand Hills
Still to be written.

The Breakwash
Still to be written.

The Ironrush
Still to be written.

The Hillrun
Still to be written.

Iron Woods
Still to be written.

Lake Ana
Still to be written.

Lake Eil
Still to be written.

Mountain of Black Smoke
Still to be written.

Nesin Islands
Still to be written.

Plains of Sand
Still to be written.

Raven River
Still to be written.

Roan River
Still to be written.

Thunder Mountains
Still to be written.

Thunder River
Still to be written.

Wolf Bay
Still to be written.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:57 pm

Merging the Harqual maps from the World of Kulan thread into this thread. -KF

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:53 am

Here is a link to a new hex map I've uploaded to deviantART of my version of the Thunder Rift.

Lands of Harqual: Thunder Rift (Hex Map)

I'm very interested in finding out what Havard thinks of it, especially my heavily modified river system.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:10 pm

October 13, 2014
I've just added one of my hand-drawn maps of the Lands of Harqual to my page on deviantART. It was done in the 90s and is an old school hex map. Since moving to CC2, Harqual has changed a lot. The shape morphed, as I was unable to trace the original maps in the new program. I didn't have access to a scanner, at the time. -KF

Here's the link.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:52 pm

Besides the map above, I've added new maps for The Bulge: Expanded View (here), Nebral Peninsula (here), Varan Peninsula (here), and Thenin Peninsula (here).

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Thu May 08, 2014 9:52 pm

I just finished the new description for the western half of the Far South: link.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:14 am

Here is a link to my latest version of the timeline for the Lands of Harqual. The file is located in my World of Kulan group on Facebook. I will post this to my Yahoo! Group too for those not on Facebook. I've also uploaded in on the main Lands of Harqual thread on E.N. World.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:58 am

NOTE: I have removed my maps from my World of Kulan Facebook group since I'd prefer not to have those images on FB after the changes come into effect. As well, my Walk the Road wiki is now gone, so I can't store images there either. I can upload maps to my EN World group, but I'm not sure if the images will display here or if I'll have to provide links. I'd prefer not to have to sign up on another media web site just for my map images. I could post them on deviantART, but I'm limited to uploading one image a day, which is tedious.

Of course, if the EN World experiment works, the map images will soon reappear.

EDIT: So far, it looks like it works.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:02 pm

I've posted a preview of the latest Hexographer map I'm doing for the Lands of Harqual on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/worldof ... 769448172/

Once the map is 100% complete it will be posted on World of Kulan Journal.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: Lands of Harqual [Maps and More]

Post by Knightfall » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:06 pm

Relinked some of the old CC2 maps on the first page of the thread. Some of them have to be reworked before I can post them, however.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: Lands of Harqual [Maps and More]

Post by Knightfall » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:31 pm

More maps relinked. I'll do more later. Time to go back to sleep. Damn sinus infection and flu! :(
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Return to “World of Kulan”