[WotC] Tomb of Annihilation

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

[WotC] Tomb of Annihilation

Postby Havard » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:49 pm

Tomb of Annihilation

According to Amazon, this module becomes available on September 19, 2017:
Dare to defy death in this adventure
for the world’s greatest roleplaying game
The talk of the streets and taverns has all been about the so-called death curse: a wasting disease afflicting everyone who’s ever been raised from the dead. Victims grow thinner and weaker each day, slowly but steadily sliding toward the death they once denied.

When they finally succumb, they can’t be raised–and neither can anyone else, regardless of whether they’ve ever received that miracle in the past. Temples and scholars of divine magic are at a loss to explain a curse that has affected the entire region, and possibly the entire world.

The cause is a necromantic artifact called the Soulmonger, which is located somewhere in Chult, a mysterious peninsula far to the south, ringed with mountains and choked with rain forests.

• An adventure for characters of levels 1 – 11, Tomb of Annihilation provides the Dungeon Master with the core adventure needed to create an exciting and memorable play experience.
• Expands on the Forgotten Realms setting of Chult, providing extensive detail on the hidden peninsula, and includes a large pull-out map of the region.
• Fans of the DUNGEONS & DRAGONS® Roleplaying Game can expand and enhance their experience by participating in the D&D Adventurers LeagueTM organized play program while playing this adventure.
• Adventure design by Christopher Perkins, Will Doyle, and Steve Winter, with additional design by Adam Lee.
• Story consulting by the award-winning creator of Adventure Time, Pendleton Ward.

The leader in providing contemporary fantasy entertainment, Dungeons & Dragons is the wellspring for the entire modern game industry, digital as well as analog. This newest edition draws from every prior edition to create a universally compelling play experience, and exemplifies the true spirit of a game that holds captive the hearts and minds of millions of players worldwide.

Anyone know more about this?

What are your thoughts?

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [WotC] Tomb of Annihilation

Postby CommanderCrud » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:55 pm

From everything I've seen about it, it sounds like it's Tomb of Horrors on the Isle of Dread.
CommanderCrud
Orc

Postby Havard » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:10 pm

CommanderCrud wrote:From everything I've seen about it, it sounds like it's Tomb of Horrors on the Isle of Dread.

Interesting! You are right that since it is set on Cthult, there could be elements drawn from the Isle of Dread. So far the 5E advetures have all drawn on existing material so combining these two could be it.

Does Soulmonger come from something else?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby CommanderCrud » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:27 pm

Nothing that I know of.
CommanderCrud
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:44 pm

Neverwinter Nights are joining in with this: Neverwinter: Tomb of Annihilation - Official Announcement Trailer:
Neverwinter on YouTube wrote:Image
Published on 2 Jun 2017

Our next expansion Neverwinter: Tomb of Annihilation stomps into PC on July 25! Neverwinter’s Harpers seek to end the wickedness of a new death curse on the jungle peninsula of Chult, sending adventurers on an expedition to a land infested with Yuan-ti, undead, and dinosaurs. Beginning at the new hub town of Port Nyanzaru, adventurers will explore various regions of Chult to uncover the evil behind the curse annihilating the people of Faerûn. Adventurers can team up with old friends Minsc, Boo, Celeste, the famed explorer Volothamp Geddarm, and an unexpected ally.

Neverwinter is a free-to-play action MMORPG that features fast-paced combat and epic dungeons. Players explore the vast city of Neverwinter and its surrounding countryside, learning the vivid history of the iconic city in the Forgotten Realms and battling its many enemies. Neverwinter is currently available on PC, PlayStation®4, and Xbox One, available free-to-play with Gold*.

For more information about Neverwinter, and to play now for free visit http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neve...

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/neverwintergame

Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NeverwinterGame

*On Xbox, Xbox Live Gold membership (sold separately) required.

I'm guessing that the Chult content in Neverwinter is going to be similar to the Chult content in the tabletop book.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:56 pm

I think the entire "Stream of Annihilation" event was designed to pimp Tomb of Annihilation. :)

Here are a few videos that seem to be most connected:

Stream of Annihilation: Tomb of Annihilation & DCA Highlights:
Dungeons & Dragons on YouTube wrote:Image
Published on 4 Jun 2017

Stream of Annihilation highlights from Day 1 including the announcement of Tomb of Annihilation and the special Dice, Camera, Action live episode.

There is not much there, but it's worth a listen.

SoA - Welcome and Product Reveal
Published on 5 Jun 2017

Hosts Anna Prosser Robinson and Kelly Link introduce Stream of Annihilation. Chris Perkins and Mike Mearls reveal the new D&D storyline: Tomb of Annihilation.

That's the main announcement, but there is a lot of talk about how cool D&D is and not much about Tomb of Annihilation. But Mike Mearls did say that it was Indiana Jones meets zombies. You can either follow the adventure or use the gazetteer of Chult.

SoA - Neverwinter
Published on 5 Jun 2017

Lead Designer Thomas Foss and Host Kelly Link discuss the upcoming Tomb of Annihilation module from Neverwinter. -- Watch live at https://www.twitch.tv/dnd

This is about the computer game, so might not tell you things that appear in the tabletop game.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby dfryer36 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:04 am

Havard wrote:
According to Amazon, this module becomes available on September 19, 2017:
Dare to defy death in this adventure
for the world’s greatest roleplaying game
The talk of the streets and taverns has all been about the so-called death curse: a wasting disease afflicting everyone who’s ever been raised from the dead. Victims grow thinner and weaker each day, slowly but steadily sliding toward the death they once denied.

My one problem with this just on the face of it is this. Is being raised from the dead really that common that there could be a lot of people walking around a town or even a city that this could be that widespread that it would be the talk of the town? It requires a Level 10 Cleric and a 5,000 gp material component to cast Raise Dead so even in a big city it should be pretty rare that people are raised from the dead.
Last edited by dfryer36 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?
dfryer36
White Dragon

Postby willpell » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:45 pm

Doesn't matter how rare it is; if resurrection is possible at all, it should be a Big Deal. Think of how much attention you can get in our world just by claiming that you can extend someone's lifespan by a few years. Anything that promises to reverse actual death, even (especially) when it strikes in the prime of life due to accident/violence/etc., would be the biggest and most sensational story throughout human civilization, and there would be no limit to the fame and attention heaped upon ressurectees. Every single peasant worldwide would dream of becoming an adventurer for *no other reason* than the fact that death isn't always permanent for them, whereas it IS for the rest of the world. There is nothing humans are more passionate about than their desire to cheat their mortality...and while dwarves and halflings and gnomes might have a more centered attitude about their 200-plus-year lifespans being sufficient, elves probably come back around to being greedy, even if they're already getting ten times the human lifespan (since it's been well established that elves don't tend to get bored with their long lives, instead celebrating life as a net positive even more than humans tend to).
willpell
White Dragon

Postby timemrick » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:46 pm

dfryer36 wrote:My one problem with this just on the face of it is this. Is being raised from the dead really that common that there could be a lot of people walking around a town or even a city that this could be that widespread that it would be the talk of the town? It requires a Level 5 Cleric and a 5,000 gp material component to cast Raise Dead so even in a big city it should be pretty rare that people are raised from the dead.

To look at it another way, who is going to know who those local resurrectees are? The priests who cast the spells, allies who arranged for the miracle, and any other well-informed adventurers who operate in the area. And who's going to be the biggest audience for any kind of gossip about local adventurers? Less experienced adventurers, like the PCs. So the death-curse may be affecting only a very small fraction of the population, but the victims are exactly the kind of people the PCs are most likely to hear weird stories about.

Anyway, I find it curious that the cover depicts Acererak when Wizards so recently released a 5E version of "The Tomb of Horrors" in Tales from the Yawning Portal. Maybe it's not the final art, or maybe the (demi)lich is behind the curse?
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby CommanderCrud » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:54 pm

It is Acererak. More info released at Origins make the Isle of Dread and Tomb of Horrors references not just a theory. Also influenced by Dwellers of the Forbidden City.
CommanderCrud
Orc

Postby zontoxira » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:27 pm

WotC adventure description wrote:Expands on the Forgotten Realms setting of Chult, providing extensive detail on the hidden peninsula, and includes a large pull-out map of the region.

This is exactly what I'm hyped at. At last, some other area to explore and adventure!
I was hoping for Cormyr, Dalelands, or the Vast, but this will suffice.

PS: Don't get me wrong, I know SKT and CoS were in different areas, the former being in Icewind Dale (though the map depicts half of Sword Coast), the latter being in Barovia (though, this is another realm in another setting).
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo
zontoxira
Hobgoblin

Postby Dread Delgath » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:00 am

Aside from the module set in FR, this sounds great! Wait.... modules *ahem* adventures set in FR is actually a good thing, even if I never once step foot on that world in-game or out. Adventures set in generic "D&Dland" are pretty stale. The FR has a rich tapestry of history and cultures, which I am looking forward to pillaging for my own "Southern Jungles of (not) Chult" campaign.

Aside from the talk of (yet more) zombies, this time as the main problem besetting this module *ahem*again* adventure, this still sounds like a winnah. I am burnt out on zombies, and have been for a long time (since 2e Ravenloft adventures *ahem* taps foot patiently* modules that featured lots and lots of zombies) and my players hate them more than I do. I suppose it might have something to do with Rick rolling with the Walking Dead (see what I did there?), and the endless array of zombies in Jane Austen redeux novels and movies and comics and tv...

But I'm still really looking forward to Tomb of Annihilation because its set in a jungle setting, and I happen to have a jungle setting with a lot of ideas concerning Yuan-ti, troglodytes, dinosaurs, bullywugs, and slime goddesses, but little actual body to it.
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Postby Havard » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:16 pm

It's out.
Anyone buy it yet? :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Dread Delgath » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:48 pm

I bought it on Friday, one day after I determined that I had just enough funds for Starfinder and some comics.

I've only skimmed through it so far, but what I've seen so far indicates that it is a solid jungle old school slog, something that my players will hate me for. Actually, that's part of the disclaimer too:

Disclaimer: This adventure will make your players hate you - the kind of simmering hatred that eats away at their souls until all that remains are dark little spheres of annihilation were their hearts used to be. PS Don't forget to tear up their character sheets.

:lol: :twisted: :cool:

Off Topic: I can't wait to really get into Starfinder! I've skimmed that book more thoroughly, and all I can say is "I'd like to set all my 5e D&D adventures in Starfinder, please. :!: :idea: (...and I don't like Pathfinder rules at all...) :shock:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Postby Havard » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:58 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:I bought it on Friday, one day after I determined that I had just enough funds for Starfinder and some comics.

I've only skimmed through it so far, but what I've seen so far indicates that it is a solid jungle old school slog, something that my players will hate me for. Actually, that's part of the disclaimer too:

Disclaimer: This adventure will make your players hate you - the kind of simmering hatred that eats away at their souls until all that remains are dark little spheres of annihilation were their hearts used to be. PS Don't forget to tear up their character sheets.

:lol: :twisted: :cool:

This brings back memories to both the best and worst gaming experiences I have had. Hopefully this one will be more of the good stuff than those bad memories of the killer DM who didn't realize the game was there for everyone to have fun. :)
Off Topic: I can't wait to really get into Starfinder! I've skimmed that book more thoroughly, and all I can say is "I'd like to set all my 5e D&D adventures in Starfinder, please. :!: :idea: (...and I don't like Pathfinder rules at all...) :shock:

Don't we have a topic on that? Oh okay, now we do! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:55 pm

Looks like this adventure contains details on how to adapt it to Mystara and other D&D settings.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Return to D&D 5th Edition