5E Player Races from Official Sources

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Re: 5E Player Races from Official Sources

Postby Zeromaru X » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:27 am

More elven sub-races in UA. Avariel, grugach, sea elves and shadar-kai (I guess, they were elves in 3e, humans in 4e, and now elves again in 5e—however, 5e shadar-kai are tied to the Raven Queen, much like human shadar-kai were in 4e)
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:18 am

Zeromaru X wrote:More elven sub-races in UA. Avariel, grugach, sea elves and shadar-kai (I guess, they were elves in 3e, humans in 4e, and now elves again in 5e—however, 5e shadar-kai are tied to the Raven Queen, much like human shadar-kai were in 4e)
I love the Avariel. Very cool to see them updated to 5E.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Dread Delgath » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:55 am

I've seen the Shadar-Kai a couple weeks ago when I downloaded the "D&D Player's Companion" pdf from DM's Guild, with a note in the credits that Shadar-Kai came from Dragon Magazine #372, and were humans dwelling in the Shadowfell.

I will see if I can find & post a link to the Player's Companion, forthwith! :cool:

EDIT: Sorry, I mis-attributed this item to the DM's Guild, when I actually found it on a reddit Google Drive link, and it is more properly known as "Dark Arts Player's Companion", and Nerdarchy review here.

This book introduces 3 new races: the Mummy, the Wight, and the Shadar-Kai! It also features these sub-classes:
Barbarian: Path of Blood
Bard: College of the Shadowfell
Cleric: Night Domain
Druid: Circle of Twilight
Fighter: Blood Knight
Monk: Way of the Bloodied Fist
Paladin: Oath of the Grave
Ranger: Nightstalker
Rogue: Shadow
Sorcerer: Deathtouched
Sorcerer: Vampiric Bloodline
Warlock: Archlich
Warlock: Invocations (? I don't know if this is a subclass or new invocations!)
Wizard: School of Reawakening
Wizard: School of Hemomancy

Spells:
Casting Blood Magic, Spell Lists & Descriptions

16 new monsters! Created June 2016, updated June 2017. :cool:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Postby Zeromaru X » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:33 am

Dread Delgath wrote:I've seen the Shadar-Kai a couple weeks ago when I downloaded the "D&D Player's Companion" pdf from DM's Guild, with a note in the credits that Shadar-Kai came from Dragon Magazine #372, and were humans dwelling in the Shadowfell.

I though the same, as a DM that started in 4e the only shadar-kai I knew were the 4e human ones. But then, helping in the FR wiki, I found this article. Seems that in 3e, Shadar-kai were fey creatures. I guess 5e is reconciling the lore of the two editions.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Dread Delgath » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:30 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:I've seen the Shadar-Kai a couple weeks ago when I downloaded the "D&D Player's Companion" pdf from DM's Guild, with a note in the credits that Shadar-Kai came from Dragon Magazine #372, and were humans dwelling in the Shadowfell.

I though the same, as a DM that started in 4e the only shadar-kai I knew were the 4e human ones. But then, helping in the FR wiki, I found this article. Seems that in 3e, Shadar-kai were fey creatures. I guess 5e is reconciling the lore of the two editions.

I'm torn whether to consider them human or fey. Perhaps some of each in pre-historic ancestry? Some humans found their way to the Feywild and were transformed by the powers of that demi-plane - and the Fey creatures who originated there. Essentially they are the same race now, to avoid confusion.

If I were to introduce this race to my campaign, they would indeed take the place of the Drow as the Dockalfar Race of my campaign*!

(*I don't run all elves and their surface world ilk as 'good', nor are drow all 'evil'. They are, however, subservient to whatever powers of the Realm of Faerie come a'calling, although elves may have a preference to which Court (Seelie or Unseelie) they prefer to bend the knee - when the Queen of Air & Darkness commands an elf - he must obey!)

In fact, I could see the Shadar-Kai as a race of Fey much deeper in legend and myth - and much more evil than either Seelie or Unseelie; wishing to destroy both factions and 'take it's rightful place' as rulers of the Feywild.

Hrmmmm, LOTS of potential here for a elven Feywild campaign! :cool:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Postby Angel Tarragon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:24 am

Zeromaru X wrote:

Well crud. I happened to like the fey aspect of the Shadar-Kai.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Dread Delgath » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:27 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Zeromaru X wrote:

Well crud. I happened to like the fey aspect of the Shadar-Kai.

I don't think this discounts your preference for them as a Fey race. One source says they were humans long ago, changed by the Feywild into what they are now. Another source claims they are Fey. For all intents & purposes, no matter what their true ancestry (lost to the ethereal mists of time!), they are Fey now.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Postby Falconer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:52 pm

There is a kender race writeup in the Next playtest documents.
Falconer
Troll

Postby zontoxira » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:00 pm

Falconer wrote:There is a kender race writeup in the Next playtest documents.

OMG, somebody burn these documents!
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo
zontoxira
Hobgoblin

Postby Dread Delgath » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:01 pm

zontoxira wrote:

OMG, somebody burn these documents!

:lol: My campaign world causes all kender characters to make a saving throw every round or take 2d6 non-typed damage. :twisted:
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:50 am

Dread Delgath wrote:I don't think this discounts your preference for them as a Fey race. One source says they were humans long ago, changed by the Feywild into what they are now. Another source claims they are Fey. For all intents & purposes, no matter what their true ancestry (lost to the ethereal mists of time!), they are Fey now.
My misunderstanding then. Thanks for the clarification!
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Dread Delgath » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:35 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:I don't think this discounts your preference for them as a Fey race. One source says they were humans long ago, changed by the Feywild into what they are now. Another source claims they are Fey. For all intents & purposes, no matter what their true ancestry (lost to the ethereal mists of time!), they are Fey now.
My misunderstanding then. Thanks for the clarification!

That's not an official clarification, Angel, that's just like, my opinion, man! :cool:

But, there are at least 2 different sources that point to either elf or man, and from what I've read, they contradict each other, or the latter overrides the former.

What I'm saying is that its your choice for your campaign. If it were me, I'd choose both.

The current race is of combined heritage (forgotten in the mists of time) that is irrelevant to the Shadar-Kai, and quite possibly irrelevant to anyone else. They acknowledge their roots, but they're aloof about it at best, believing that their kind is superior to any that came before.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:02 am

Dread Delgath wrote:That's not an official clarification, Angel, that's just like, my opinion, man! :cool:
Well I feel sheepish. :facepalm:

It's a good opinion though. :cool:
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Dread Delgath » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:24 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:That's not an official clarification, Angel, that's just like, my opinion, man! :cool:
Well I feel sheepish. :facepalm:

It's a good opinion though. :cool:

I know the Piazza is (mostly) all about "official" campaign worlds, but all I'm saying is that its okay to make any setting your own. Put your personality into it and make it yours. :D
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Postby Havard » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:33 pm

Okay guys, thank you very much for your continued posting in this thread. I have just had a go at updating the original post. I was a bit lazy when it came to the Tiefling Bloodlines, but maybe I will go back and add each of them individually.

Should we consider these official? Are the playtest docs still available anywhere? I mainly ask about officialness because I am trying to limit what sort of races I list in the OP. Feel free to include both official and unofficial suggestions in the thread though as all such material can be useful for DMs in their campaigns!

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:40 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:I know the Piazza is (mostly) all about "official" campaign worlds, but all I'm saying is that its okay to make any setting your own. Put your personality into it and make it yours. :D

I think making a setting your own is absolutely essential in order to run a successful game. I think that is also true for other published material as well. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:33 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:I know the Piazza is (mostly) all about "official" campaign worlds, but all I'm saying is that its okay to make any setting your own. Put your personality into it and make it yours. :D
Absolutely! I've done this with many Forgotten Realms campaigns; added cities...had a Spelljammerpocalypse and many other modifications to make adventuring more fun.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Zeromaru X » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:54 pm

Havard wrote:

Should we consider these official? Are the playtest docs still available anywhere? I mainly ask about officialness because I am trying to limit what sort of races I list in the OP. Feel free to include both official and unofficial suggestions in the thread though as all such material can be useful for DMs in their campaigns!

-Havard

As official as you can consider the UA races, I guess. Not legal for Adventurer's League, but pretty much available for home campaigns.

BTW, Havard, you missed the gith races (githyanki and githzerai) and the eladrin version from UA.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Falconer » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:45 pm

Havard wrote:Are the playtest docs still available anywhere?

You can try googling "101413_DnD_Next_Public_Playtest.zip" for the final version of what we’re talking about.
Falconer
Troll

Postby Birchbeer » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:45 am

Falconer wrote:
Havard wrote:Are the playtest docs still available anywhere?

You can try googling "101413_DnD_Next_Public_Playtest.zip" for the final version of what we’re talking about.

I have this on google drive somewhere if you need it.
Birchbeer
Stone Giant

Previous

Return to D&D 5th Edition