Firbolg PC Race Feats to emulate AD&D era

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Firbolg PC Race Feats to emulate AD&D era

Post by Coronoides » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:06 am

Firbolg Feats
These feats restore some of the abilities described for Firbolgs in the AD&D era. In these earlier editions Firbolgs were large-sized giantkin with shapeshifting powers who were secretive warrior-protectors of the wilds. These feats give PC firbolgs in D&D 5e greater ability to emulate the Firbolgs of earlier editions.
Created using the version of reverse engineered WOTC systems in my book (see signature).

Anyone see any issues, typos, ideas to do it differently?

Firbolg Heritage I
Requirement. Firbolg Race
You add Alter Self to your racial spells. You may cast this spell only once and only on yourself. The spell is restored by a long rest. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability score for this cantrip.

Firbolg Heritage II
Requirement. Firbolg Heritage I.
You add Enlarge/Reduce to your racial spells. You may cast this spell only once and only on yourself. The spell is restored by a long rest. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability score for this spell. Your Wisdom increases by one.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

zontoxira
Planewalker

Re: Firbolg PC Race Feats to emulate AD&D era

Post by zontoxira » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:18 pm

I don't think I've seen feat dependency as a requirement, so it might not be as good an idea. I do like Heritage I, though firbolgs already have a special disguise self to alter their appearance.
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:37 pm

Interesting! I didn't realize Firbolgs had been changed so much over the editions? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:02 pm

I'll have to check out Firbolgs when I get home. I've never used them before but I'm interested to see how they've changed.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:53 pm

I haven't had the time to give them a glancing over, but one of my players rolled up a Firbolg Ranger6/Thief1, and he uses the alter self & size change as the situation demands.
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:09 am

I can't speak to the changes, but thanks to Critical Role, there are suddenly a lot of firbolg PCs out there. I suspect feats for the playable race might find a decent audience right now.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:41 am

zontoxira wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:18 pm
I don't think I've seen feat dependency as a requirement, so it might not be as good an idea. I do like Heritage I, though firbolgs already have a special disguise self to alter their appearance.
Yes and no. WOTC has definitely shied away from the the lengthy feat chains of 3.X. However, there are hidden feat chains right in the PHB. The feats War Caster, Elemental Adept, and Spell sniper have the prerequisite "The ability to cast at least one spell". How might a non-spellcaster like a fighter-champion meet that requirement? Well they could take the Magic Initiate or Ritual Caster feats. Another example is a Wizard who wants to wear armour they could take Lightly Armoured then Moderately Armoured and finally Heavily Armoured.
A short chain of race feats combines the short chain concept above with the single race only restriction seen for some feats in Xanathar's Guide to Everything.

Even if the precedent argument is not convincing there are still good game design reasons for chaining racial feats. If the desired traits of a race are overpowered then placing some traits in feat(s) can make the race acceptable. This was done by WOTC for Deep Gnomes very early on. If the traits are overpowered for a feat then splitting them over two or more feats makes sense.
Additionally, some traits while overpowered at first or 4th are reasonable at 8th or higher level. In other words some traits are worth less at higher levels so delaying their acquisition by creating a feat chain can keep things from getting out of hand.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:47 pm

Havard wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:37 pm
Interesting! I didn't realize Firbolgs had been changed so much over the editions? :)

-Havard
I was tempted to include firbolgs in my Why did it change? series, however, James Haeck beat me to it.
Coronoides wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:41 am

Yes and no. WOTC has definitely shied away from the the lengthy feat chains of 3.X. However, there are hidden feat chains right in the PHB. The feats War Caster, Elemental Adept, and Spell sniper have the prerequisite "The ability to cast at least one spell". How might a non-spellcaster like a fighter-champion meet that requirement? Well they could take the Magic Initiate or Ritual Caster feats. Another example is a Wizard who wants to wear armour they could take Lightly Armoured then Moderately Armoured and finally Heavily Armoured.
A short chain of race feats combines the short chain concept above with the single race only restriction seen for some feats in Xanathar's Guide to Everything.

Even if the precedent argument is not convincing there are still good game design reasons for chaining racial feats. If the desired traits of a race are overpowered then placing some traits in feat(s) can make the race acceptable. This was done by WOTC for Deep Gnomes very early on. If the traits are overpowered for a feat then splitting them over two or more feats makes sense.
Additionally, some traits while overpowered at first or 4th are reasonable at 8th or higher level. In other words some traits are worth less at higher levels so delaying their acquisition by creating a feat chain can keep things from getting out of hand.
Fair enough.
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:49 pm

New Version using feedback from here and FB.
Firbolg Feats
These feats restore some of the abilities described for Firbolgs in the AD&D era. In these earlier editions Firbolgs were large-sized giantkin with shapeshifting and illusion powers who were secretive warrior-protectors of the wilds. These feats give PC firbolgs in D&D 5e greater ability to emulate the Firbolgs of earlier editions.

Firbolg Heritage I
Requirement. Firbolg Race
You add Alter Self to your racial spells. You may cast this spell only once and only on yourself. The spell is restored by a long rest.

Firbolg Heritage II
Requirement. Firbolg Heritage I.
You add Enlarge/Reduce to your racial spells. You may cast this spell only once and only on yourself. The spell is restored by a long rest. You also learn the Minor Illusion Cantrip. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability score for this cantrip.

Fun fact: in the original Gaelic Firbolg is pronounced closer to 'Fear-Vulag'

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”