[Basic] D&D for free!

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

[Basic] D&D for free!

Postby RobJN » Tue May 27, 2014 7:10 am

Well, Mearls' latest column holds some surprising news. :D

(In before Havard!)

MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): The link to download Basic D&D is in this post.
Last edited by RobJN on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: [Basic] D&D for free?

Postby Havard » Tue May 27, 2014 8:22 am

I love mentions of the Rules Cyclopedia and Basic D&D. A free PDF is never a bad thing.

OTOH, I'm not sure I understand what he means. Is he talking about BECMI or a new 5E derived product in the spirit of the RC?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby rabindranath72 » Tue May 27, 2014 8:35 am

This made my day. That's EXACTLY what I was hoping for; a new streamlined version with only the core races and classes, and enough stuff to have a game going. I'd even pay for this.
@Havard: I think he simply means what he says: collect enough material from the 3 core books to make a stand-alone game with less options.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Morfie » Tue May 27, 2014 8:41 am

I would say the latter.. a 5e derived product in the spirit of the RC.

Though I am glad to see this. Most of the "compatible with all editions" spiel has seemed to be around AD&D, with no mention of anything BECMI, until now.

Dammit, now I'm looking forward to 5e.
Though I will still reserve judgement until I see how the high level stuff is being handled, such as dominions etc.
Morfie
Metamorph

Postby agathokles » Tue May 27, 2014 11:29 am

It's pretty clear he's talking about a Basic D&D 5e manual. It is needed, because they are releasing the Player's Handbook and adventures before the MM and DMG, which will come later on.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Havard » Tue May 27, 2014 12:12 pm

agathokles wrote:It's pretty clear he's talking about a Basic D&D 5e manual. It is needed, because they are releasing the Player's Handbook and adventures before the MM and DMG, which will come later on.

So in other words this really has very little to do with the Rules Cyclopedia.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby RobJN » Tue May 27, 2014 12:23 pm

Havard wrote:
agathokles wrote:It's pretty clear he's talking about a Basic D&D 5e manual. It is needed, because they are releasing the Player's Handbook and adventures before the MM and DMG, which will come later on.

So in other words this really has very little to do with the Rules Cyclopedia.

-Havard

Unfortunately no RC, but the free "slimmed down" PDFs are in the same spirit. Actually, the boxed sets seems a better comparison, since they will be adding more and more "streamlined" material as the hardback books and modules come out.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Havard » Tue May 27, 2014 2:12 pm

Well, I guess I can see a certain resemblance. Although BECMI was never really an AD&D lite as Mearls seems to think it was.

Don't get me wrong though, I think this is a very good idea and the concept will probably have strong appeal among those of us who prefer a more stripped down ruleset.

I especially like that unlike your average beginner's set, this new Basic D&D will allow you to explore the full level range from 1-20.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby maddog » Tue May 27, 2014 2:26 pm

Has anyone seen the download link for it yet? I made a d20ized version of LL for our online gaming group but this may have made it obsolete. :D

--Ray.
Last edited by maddog on Tue May 27, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
Hey! I just became a stone giant!
My Moderator voice is in Green.
Moderator of Dragonlance forum.
maddog
Frost Giant

Postby Bouv » Tue May 27, 2014 2:27 pm

I saw that this morning and am excited for it. I think it will help get newer players into the game and allow gamers to get new players into the game. "Hey, you could buy the $40 book, or check out the free PDF and use that instead."
Bouv
Cloud Giant

Postby Ambreville » Tue May 27, 2014 3:09 pm

The reference to Basic and RC sounds like a bait-and-switch tactic to me. What they call "Basic D&D" is the starter set for D&D Next. It has nothing to do with BECMI. Mentioning the Rules Cyclopedia comes off as an attempt to blur the lines.
Bruce Heard otherwise known as Ambreville
My Blog: Calidar on Blogspot,
Calidar Publishing on DTRPG
Calidar on Facebook, Calidar Page on G+,
Mystara on Facebook, Mystara Page on G+, Princess Ark on Facebook
Twitter @Ambreville (#Mystara #WorldOfCalidar)
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby Birchbeer » Tue May 27, 2014 3:43 pm

I think their intent with this edition is to be able to tie together all the versions, AD&D and BECMI, possibly even the old D&D rules before the split.
Birchbeer
Stone Giant

Postby Hugin » Tue May 27, 2014 5:22 pm

Ambreville wrote:The reference to Basic and RC sounds like a bait-and-switch tactic to me. What they call "Basic D&D" is the starter set for D&D Next. It has nothing to do with BECMI. Mentioning the Rules Cyclopedia comes off as an attempt to blur the lines.

Mearls' reference to the Rules Cyclopedia stems from comments he made in a live D&D Q&A video he did with Rodney Thompson and Chris Perkins.

He uses the RC as an example of a single rule book that contains everything in it to play for the player and DM alike. One single book to run a game as opposed to having a separate Player's Handbook, DM's Handbook, and Monster Manual, although in a limited (i.e. basic) way.

He stated it by saying, "The Starter Set already covers the aspects of these rules that you need to run the included campaign". He added, however, that by getting the other books (Player's Handbook, DM's Handbook, and Monster Manual), you expand on what is available to use; more player options, more DM tools, and more monsters.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby maddog » Tue May 27, 2014 6:21 pm

Ambreville wrote:The reference to Basic and RC sounds like a bait-and-switch tactic to me. What they call "Basic D&D" is the starter set for D&D Next. It has nothing to do with BECMI. Mentioning the Rules Cyclopedia comes off as an attempt to blur the lines.

He does say, "the equivalent of the old D&D Rules Cyclopedia" so I guess we'll have to wait for the release date to really know. Sadly, that may be July 15ish. I think Mike Mearls is just giving an example of an older work that had a similar scope and mission.
---
Hey! I just became a stone giant!
My Moderator voice is in Green.
Moderator of Dragonlance forum.
maddog
Frost Giant

Postby XstarkillerX » Tue May 27, 2014 7:03 pm

maddog wrote:

He does say, "the equivalent of the old D&D Rules Cyclopedia" so I guess we'll have to wait for the release date to really know. Sadly, that may be July 15ish. I think Mike Mearls is just giving an example of an older work that had a similar scope and mission.

That was my impression too.
XstarkillerX
Broccoli Golem

Postby Big Mac » Tue May 27, 2014 8:19 pm

I am pretty sure this is 5e's answer to the SRD. Putting this thing out there means that there is no excuse for any players to say they do not want to play a D&D game because they don't have the books.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby shesheyan » Tue May 27, 2014 8:59 pm

Big Mac wrote:I am pretty sure this is 5e's answer to the SRD. Putting this thing out there means that there is no excuse for any players to say they do not want to play a D&D game because they don't have the books.

My thought exactly. Its a good thing.
shesheyan
Fire Giant

Postby Havard » Tue May 27, 2014 9:07 pm

maddog wrote:

Yep. I agree that the reference to the Rules Cyclopedia is confusing here since the scope of the RC (and the BECMI boxed Sets) was most likely about alot more than what this 5E Basic PDF will be about. That doesn't mean 5E is a bad thing of course. In fact I rather like the idea. But the reference to the RC is misleading since I doubt we will be seeing dominon rules, mass combat, quests for Immortality or many of the other elements that make the RC into the unique gem that it is.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby shesheyan » Wed May 28, 2014 12:29 am

Havard wrote:
maddog wrote:

Yep. I agree that the reference to the Rules Cyclopedia is confusing here since the scope of the RC (and the BECMI boxed Sets) was most likely about alot more than what this 5E Basic PDF will be about. That doesn't mean 5E is a bad thing of course. In fact I rather like the idea. But the reference to the RC is misleading since I doubt we will be seeing dominon rules, mass combat, quests for Immortality or many of the other elements that make the RC into the unique gem that it is.

-Havard

Actually they already hinted at a mass combat system in one of the previous instalment : http://wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20140428
shesheyan
Fire Giant

Postby Chord » Wed May 28, 2014 2:58 pm

I'm excited about it. Sure it may not have all the depth the RC has , but if it goes up to 20th level, has a bunch of monsters and keeps the perfect simplicity of the BECMI set then I'm game.
Chord
Hobgoblin

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed May 28, 2014 7:27 pm

Chord wrote:I'm excited about it. Sure it may not have all the depth the RC has , but if it goes up to 20th level, has a bunch of monsters and keeps the perfect simplicity of the BECMI set then I'm game.
I'm game even if it doesn't go up to 20th level. Just as a guide to all the necessary rules and up to 6th level would be good enough to hook my interest into wanting to invest money into the new edition. My heart is already attached to Pathfinder, so I am extremely hesitant about 5th Ed/Next.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby shesheyan » Wed May 28, 2014 8:58 pm

I stopped playing D&D 2.5 years ago after the failure of my 4E Dark Sun campaign... I've always played D&D since Christmas 1980.
Switching editions as they came out. But 4E broke my back with long combats and the never ending supply of newer books.

Since then I've tried (or read) multiple systems. Savage World, Eclipse Phase, Call of Cthuluh 6E to name a few.
Only Numenera has the specific blend of crunchiness & softness I'm looking for in a rpg these days.

I keep looking at my 2E books and wanting to play but when I start reading the rules there is a complete disconnect between the fun memories and the «dated» (subjective) feel of the rules. Sadly I can't play that game anymore...

From what I'm reading on various forums it seems 5E can give me a modernized version of 2E. Which would be perfect.
I'll just wait for the free PDF before I make any monetary commitment.

I've read that the optional feats section are not about optimizing (+1,+2,+3) characters but more about «defining» the character.
Which is a another step in the right direction if it turns out to be true.
shesheyan
Fire Giant

Postby XstarkillerX » Thu May 29, 2014 10:37 am

A little detail about Basic D&D in this new article by Mike Mearls.
XstarkillerX
Broccoli Golem

Postby XstarkillerX » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:00 am

More clarifications in this Q&A.
XstarkillerX
Broccoli Golem

Postby TBeholder » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:11 pm

Yup, the adorable 3.5 trend of retro-name-squatting goes on. (floats back to sleep)

This comment adds little to the topic of the thread. -Admin Edit by Dragon Turtle (Havard)
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." - Michele Carter
TBeholder
Hill Giant

Next

Return to D&D 5th Edition