[Tyrany of Dragons] Hoard of the Dragon Queen (Lvl 1-7)

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: [Tyrany of Dragons] Hoard of the Dragon Queen (Lvl 1-7)

Post by shesheyan »

Finished episode 7 last night. One episode left before we start the second book !
Characters reached level 7. I decided to speed up levelling to 7th because I find the characters easy to kill in 5e.
The book says the adventure is designed for 4 characters but honestly I think a 5th character would help.

I'm enjoying this module a lot. The variety of locals and encounter types is really fun to play. After the game we talked about that. Players said they really had the impression of a «1E multi-year mega-campaign» in only four months of play - compounded by the fact that we began with the module of the starter box in September. Most episodes are resolved in one session. Episode 6 on the other hand took us 2,5 sessions (4 hours each). Mostly imho its because the module avoids long multi-level dungeon crawls. But also its due the many Cult leaders the PCs get to chase, find, interrogate and then dispatch.

Our group let go the new fighter player after only 4 games. This game is cursed when it comes to those who play fighters. The first one left the group before Christmas. Instead of looking for a 4th player I've decided to insert a 6th level Barbarian NPC (currently reading Conan short stories ;-) ) that was prisoner in Naetyr Castle. My wife rolls and role-plays the character during combat. I do the role-play if necessary during non combat scenes. We tried it last night and worked like a charm. With only three characters each player's had enough spotlight time for role-play. Battle prep discussions were shorter! Even though the Barbarian is a quiet kind of guy, his personality is slowly emerging.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin »

We're down to three players ourselves (from five; one moved out west and the other has weekly training on our game night, hopefully to return after the summer).

It works but it's dangerous. The DM often has an NPC or two around to help us out. Still a blast though.

We have suspended our initial campaign that I was DM'ing to allow me to be a player and another to DM who also enjoys DM'ing. The plan is to alternate campaigns every 6 months or so.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

Finished the HOTDQ Book last night !!! It took eight 4-hour sessions to run. With the Starter adventure (Phandalin) before that we are now at 15 sessions.

I have to say that Dragons in this edition are very dangerous. Lair Legendary Actions and Dragon Legendary Actions really make the creature terrifying. The players were really scared of loosing their characters. The combat (4 rounds) ended with 2 unconscious characters and the 2 others at 5-6 HPs. It was a close call. The Dragon's Breath Weapon never recharged (5-6 on a D6). If it had TPK was inevitable.

The link with The Rise of Tiamat book is weak at best. I will have to create one or two transition sessions.
Last edited by shesheyan on Tue May 12, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin »

I have only used one dragon so far, and that was a "wounded" young green dragon from the Starter Set. The party was only at level 4 and it was nearly a TPK. [It was quite epic though as the barbarian was dropped very quickly but rolled a natural 20 on his first or second death save to get up and continue the fight. The dice were *extremely* kind to them - and I roll in the open!]

But reading about the more mature dragons gives visions in my head of how awesome they'd be in-game. Since we have two campaigns on the go, alternating at adventure/chapter breaks, we've only played up to level 4. One day... and I can hardly wait, be it as a player or a DM!

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

20 on a Death Save is a really cool mechanic. It happened a few times during our game.

I'm really enjoying the rules light combat system. As with Numenera, I find that my level of brain fatigue, after a game, is much lower than with 3E and 4E. Characters are now level 8th. Which theoretically is near the end of the system's « sweet spot ». Can't wait to see how it holds out at higher levels.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin »

shesheyan wrote:20 on a Death Save is a really cool mechanic. It happened a few times during our game.
Agreed, very cinematic and exciting when it happens. Then again, I love the entire way the death saves work and feel in-game.
I'm really enjoying the rules light combat system. As with Numenera, I find that my level of brain fatigue, after a game, is much lower than with 3E and 4E.
Yes, I'm finding the same thing. In fact, our roleplaying encounters are usually significantly longer than the combat encounters.
Characters are now level 8th. Which theoretically is near the end of the system's « sweet spot ». Can't wait to see how it holds out at higher levels.
Same here. I'm optimistic that the "bounded accuracy" philosophy of the system will stretch that sweet spot out farther than in previous editions. It is also quite guaranteed that you'll experience those higher levels before we will so I'll be very interested to hear your thoughts on how they play.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 »

shesheyan wrote: I have to say that Dragons in this edition are very dangerous. Lair Legendary Actions and Dragon Legendary Actions really make the creature terrifying. The players were really scared of loosing their characters. The combat (4 rounds) ended with 2 unconscious characters and the 2 others at 5-6 HPs. It was a close call. The Dragon's Breath Weapon never recharged (5-6 on a D6). If it had TPK was inevitable.
I am looking forward at using dragons in my 5e conversion of the "Price of Courage" Dragonlance campaign.
I like the mechanics of dragons; compared with the mess that was using a dragon in 3e, it's a huge leap forward.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

@Rabin : Let us know how it goes.

I'm designing the transition session between the 2 books of the series. Its really annoying how the characters are «teleported» from one location at the end of book 1 to another at the beginning of book 2.

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”