DMG Excerpt - Race Creation

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Birchbeer
Shade

DMG Excerpt - Race Creation

Post by Birchbeer »

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/feature ... g-new-race

This makes me want to convert some races to the latest... like Lupin and Rakasta. :)

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Re: DMG Excerpt - Race Creation

Post by Hugin »

Yes! I can't wait to be able to start playing around with this!

I just love the fact that they start by saying "begin with the story and proceed from there". I hope to get into some really good, exploratory discussion on some of Mystara's races (including the mentioned Lupin and Rakasta).

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN »

Hugin wrote:Yes! I can't wait to be able to start playing around with this!

I just love the fact that they start by saying "begin with the story and proceed from there". I hope to get into some really good, exploratory discussion on some of Mystara's races (including the mentioned Lupin and Rakasta).
Took some passes at a couple of the races unique to Thorn's Mystara on my blog:

The Soulbound Construct (think a bit-more-organic Warforged)
The Half-Sidhe
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Kodyax
Troll

Post by Kodyax »

I abandoned D&D for Pathfinder when they made the switch to 4E, one of the main gripes is the fact they took spells away from rangers, but recently I browsed a copy of the 5E PHB and liked what I saw of the ranger class. I now have the usual DM's trilogy on my wishlist at Amazon If I get some gift cards or extra cash to spend I will be picking up the PHB, the DMG and the MM. You say there is a race creator in the DMG? Well, I will have to key in on that and create lupin, which were my favorite PC race in 2E, and try to remake them.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN »

Kodyax wrote:You say there is a race creator in the DMG? Well, I will have to key in on that and create lupin, which were my favorite PC race in 2E, and try to remake them.
Well, I wouldn't exactly call it a "creator." More like a page or so of guidelines and tips to follow, along with a sample writeup.
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.

Kodyax
Troll

Post by Kodyax »

Kodyax wrote:I abandoned D&D for Pathfinder when they made the switch to 4E, one of the main gripes is the fact they took spells away from rangers, but recently I browsed a copy of the 5E PHB and liked what I saw of the ranger class. I now have the usual DM's trilogy on my wishlist at Amazon If I get some gift cards or extra cash to spend I will be picking up the PHB, the DMG and the MM. You say there is a race creator in the DMG? Well, I will have to key in on that and create lupin, which were my favorite PC race in 2E, and try to remake them.
That's disappointing. At least with Pathfinder I got a whole chapter in a book on races on making races for the game. I may look to see if it can apply to 5E.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Post by Princess Strega »

Kodyax wrote:
Kodyax wrote:I abandoned D&D for Pathfinder when they made the switch to 4E, one of the main gripes is the fact they took spells away from rangers, but recently I browsed a copy of the 5E PHB and liked what I saw of the ranger class. I now have the usual DM's trilogy on my wishlist at Amazon If I get some gift cards or extra cash to spend I will be picking up the PHB, the DMG and the MM. You say there is a race creator in the DMG? Well, I will have to key in on that and create lupin, which were my favorite PC race in 2E, and try to remake them.
That's disappointing. At least with Pathfinder I got a whole chapter in a book on races on making races for the game. I may look to see if it can apply to 5E.
There was a conversion of Lupins done for 3E in the Dragon Magazine Annual I done by Paizo. If you drop me a PM for interest in that I will reply back with a text write-up of just the racial traits so that you can up-convert from 3E to 5E racial stats.

Kodyax
Troll

Post by Kodyax »

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Kodyax wrote:
There was a conversion of Lupins done for 3E in the Dragon Magazine Annual I done by Paizo. If you drop me a PM for interest in that I will reply back with a text write-up of just the racial traits so that you can up-convert from 3E to 5E racial stats.
Dragon #324 and Dragon Compendium pg 18, I am quite familiar with this, the hardcover is near me as I type this. But I will do that PM for the 5E stats. I also have a kind of conversion for Pathfinder made using your entry as a base and using their own race creator to make the stats.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Kodyax wrote:Dragon #324 and Dragon Compendium pg 18, I am quite familiar with this, the hardcover is near me as I type this. But I will do that PM for the 5E stats. I also have a kind of conversion for Pathfinder made using your entry as a base and using their own race creator to make the stats.
Well considering that you have said hardcover from Paizo, yyou won't need my help in getting that info since you already have it.

Kodyax
Troll

Post by Kodyax »

Probably not, I have not bought anything for 5E yet but it is on my list of things to get.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Kodyax wrote:Probably not, I have not bought anything for 5E yet but it is on my list of things to get.
Ditto. I am trying to save for a new tv. After I get it I will definitely drop some money on the 5E core.

Kodyax
Troll

Post by Kodyax »

I skimmed through the PHB at a local game store and the new ranger class made me smile for its increased spell casting ability since I usually rangers as warrior druids.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN »

Angel Tarragon wrote:Ditto. I am trying to save for a new tv. After I get it I will definitely drop some money on the 5E core.
Even if you never play the game, the books are gorgeous, and worth the price of admission. Mind you, I paid a nice discounted price off Amazon.... ;)
Rob

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”