Which non-Realmsian setting for you?

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Which non-Realmsian setting for you?

Post by Big Mac »

EN World are currently running a survey called Which non-Realmsian setting for you?:
Morrus at EN World wrote:So Chris Perkins may or may not be working on a non-FR based product for 2016. Let's assume for now that he is. Which of WotC's many varied and wonderful settings do you think they should delve into next? Gothic horror? High fantasy? Giant space hamsters? The planes?

BTW, based on Mearls' talk of psionics recently, I reckon it's Dark Sun. But that's just a W-A-G
So far, Greyhawk is in the lead, with 199 votes, vs 127 for Planescape, 121 for Eberron and 100 for Dark Sun. Here are the full results:

Birthright|61|10.87% Blackmoor|22|3.92% Council of Wyrms|15|2.67% Dark Sun|100|17.83% Dragon Fist|1|0.18% Dragonlance|85|15.15% Eberron|121|21.57% Ghostwalk|9|1.60% Greyhawk|199|35.47% Jakandor|2|0.36% Kingdoms of Kalamar|19|3.39% Lankhmar|24|4.28% Mahasarpa|2|0.36% Mystara|61|10.87% Nentir Vale|27|4.81% Pelinore|5|0.89% Planescape|127|22.64% Ravenloft|90|16.04% Rokugan|18|3.21% Spelljammer|60|10.70% Thunder Rift|5|0.89% Warcraft|16|2.85% Wilderlands of High Fantasy|23|4.10%

I'm not sure that DragonFist actually belongs to WotC. I know that Kingdoms of Kalamar, Rokugan, Warcraft and Wilderlands of High Fantasy do not belong to them.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

DirtSkull
Gnoll

Re: Which non-Realmsian setting for you?

Post by DirtSkull »

Greyhawk and Mystara will be apart of 5e whether or not WOTC publishes any material for them. Self publishing on the interwebs is in control, if they want some profits, they can jump to the front of the line but my guess is Eberron then Greyhawk before they go to the niche settings.
Last edited by DirtSkull on Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

Big Mac wrote:I'm not sure that DragonFist actually belongs to WotC. I know that Kingdoms of Kalamar, Rokugan, Warcraft and Wilderlands of High Fantasy do not belong to them.
If I'm not mistaken, I do not believe WotC has the rights to: Kingdoms of Kalamar, Lankhmar, Rokugan, Warcraft, and Wilderlands. Blackmoor is kinda iffy (they have rights, I think, but only to material TSR published, which was a VERY small line, and nothing of the later stuff).
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Marco Fossati
Stone Giant

Post by Marco Fossati »

I bet on Planescape or Ravenloft

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

Marco Fossati wrote:I bet on Planescape or Ravenloft
As much as I like Planescape, I'm not sure I'd bet on that one. IIRC they let the trademark expire not too long ago.

Marco Fossati
Stone Giant

Post by Marco Fossati »

night_druid wrote:
As much as I like Planescape, I'm not sure I'd bet on that one. IIRC they let the trademark expire not too long ago.
I didn't know that. I thought about Planescape because DM's Guide has a wide chapter about planes.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Voted.

Blackmoor
Mystara
Thunder Rift

I kinda think its crazy that Thunder Rift is included. Someone must have raised some awareness campaign about that mini-setting :cool:

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

Darksun : Simply because it offers a different experience truly apart from other settings.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall »

Voted for: Birthright, Dark Sun, Greyhawk, Jakandor, Mystara, Pelinore, Planescape, Spelljammer, and Thunder Rift.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick »

DirtSkull wrote:Greyhawk and Mystara will be apart of 5e whether or not WOTC publishes any material for them or not.
Besides the Realms, the Player's Handbook makes regular references to Greyhawk and Dragonlance, so I would expect those to be the next two settings that 5e will address. Appendix B also provides information on the gods of Eberron, so support for that setting seems highly likely as well.

Appendix C also mentions Blackmoor, Mystara, Birthright, and Dark Sun as other official settings from years past, but there's no indication there whether they intend to revisit them. (Also, for the Planescape fans here, Sigil gets a couple all-too-short paragraphs in the Other Planes section.)
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Graeme
Orc

Post by Graeme »

Interesting that Pellinore got 5 votes. They must all be from the UK.
Graeme Davis
Books for sale! Alive, alive-o! https://graemedavis.wordpress.com/my-books/

My Blog: https://graemedavis.wordpress.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Graeme-Davis-276379857250/
Twitter: @GraemeJDavis

Justinov
Stone Giant

Post by Justinov »

Voted Birthright and Mystara.
Mystara now at 99 votes - who takes the 100'th vote!
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,/But I have promises to keep,/And miles to go before I sleep,
[Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening - By Robert Frost]

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—/I took the one less traveled by,/And that has made all the difference.
[The Road Not Taken - By Robert Frost]

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

night_druid wrote:
We have done that dance a while ago, when some fans got all excited and thought they could buy one of the other out-of-print campaign settings. They still own the IP rights (and copyright) to all of those old campaign settings. I just think that someone at WotC decided to have a trademark clearout.
Havard wrote:Voted.

Blackmoor
Mystara
Thunder Rift
Why am I not surprised at your votes! :lol:
Havard wrote:I kinda think its crazy that Thunder Rift is included. Someone must have raised some awareness campaign about that mini-setting :cool:
Someone, huh? Would you happen to know who that might be? ;)
Graeme wrote:Interesting that Pellinore got 5 votes. They must all be from the UK.
I know of one Pelinore fan who is not in the UK...

...but he was born in the UK. :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

Marco Fossati wrote:
night_druid wrote:
I didn't know that. I thought about Planescape because DM's Guide has a wide chapter about planes.
I can't imagine they'd let the trademark lapse if they had plans for the setting. I suspect if they do anything with the planes, they won't be calling it Planescape. They may use Planescape elements and themes, but I doubt we'll see "Planescape" on the title of a product from WotC.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid »

Big Mac wrote:
night_druid wrote:
We have done that dance a while ago, when some fans got all excited and thought they could buy one of the other out-of-print campaign settings. They still own the IP rights (and copyright) to all of those old campaign settings. I just think that someone at WotC decided to have a trademark clearout.
That's why I said 'trademark', not license. ;)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
night_druid wrote:
That's why I said 'trademark', not license. ;)
Yes, but they have specifically dropped the Mystara trademark, while mentioning the campaign setting in their 5e core rulebooks. So we already know that dropping trademark status is not an indication that they are totally abandoning the idea of republishing a setting.

So if that is the case for Mystara, I'm not sure we can read anything into the other dropped trademarks.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 »

Voted Birthright, Dragonlance, Dark Sun, Ravenloft and Lankhmar.
I love Dragonlance and Birthright, but I'd like some Sword & Sorcery setting too, so Dark Sun or Lankhmar would be excellent.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Big Mac wrote:Yes, but they have specifically dropped the Mystara trademark, while mentioning the campaign setting in their 5e core rulebooks. So we already know that dropping trademark status is not an indication that they are totally abandoning the idea of republishing a setting.

So if that is the case for Mystara, I'm not sure we can read anything into the other dropped trademarks.
I was under the impression that although they let the Mystara Trademark slip for a while they have now renewed it? They do afterall lisence out the Chronicles of Mystara rights to Capcom...

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dave67
Hobgoblin

Post by Dave67 »

Mystara got a BIG push from the Mystara Reborn FB page last night - they were up to 194 last I checked.

Rokugan probably got thrown in there because of the d20 Rokugan setting during the OGL. (I like it, but I don't think it lends well to a d20 setting, especially the streamlined 5e.)

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Post by Princess Strega »

My major contenders are Eberron and Ravenloft.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall »

The Angelic Dragon wrote:My major contenders are Eberron and Ravenloft.
Angel, have you seen this?

The 13th House
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Post by Princess Strega »

Knightfall wrote:
The Angelic Dragon wrote:My major contenders are Eberron and Ravenloft.
Angel, have you seen this?

The 13th House
I am aware of it, I haven't checked it out yet though. I will later today. Thank you for reminding me.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Dave67 wrote:Mystara got a BIG push )
Its a sight of beauty seeing all the love for Mystara :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

Just posted the link of the poll to 4 different forums in my region. If going to be a popularity vote might as well spread the news as much as possible !

Currently Greyhawk and Eberron are in the lead for 300+ votes. Its interesting to see that they are the oldest and newest setting. I wonder if its a generational gap between two cohorts of players (AD&D and 3E) ? It would have been nice to ask age group as part of the survey.

paladinnicolas
Goblin

Post by paladinnicolas »

Eberron, which to my mind is the best campaign setting ever, has taken the lead and is the one with the most votes currently, which makes me happy :)

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”