Which non-Realmsian setting for you?

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

lesh
Gnoll

Re: Which non-Realmsian setting for you?

Post by lesh »

Planescape, but I hope WotC is not working on it, hire some other company, maybe former designers

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

lesh wrote:Planescape, but I hope WotC is not working on it, hire some other company, maybe former designers
Well, Mearls' team did an excellent job with 5E I don't see why they couldn't do the same for a setting.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

rabindranath72 wrote:Voted Birthright, Dragonlance, Dark Sun, Ravenloft and Lankhmar.
I love Dragonlance and Birthright, but I'd like some Sword & Sorcery setting too, so Dark Sun or Lankhmar would be excellent.
I've seen some people say something along the lines of "you couldn't do Birthright with newer rules" a few times, but I would love to see that proven wrong. (I believe that you can play any D&D world using any D&D rules, if you put the work in.)

I think that Dragonlance, Dark Sun or Ravenloft would be most likely out of the ones you chose.

I wonder if WotC would need to go and buy a new licence for Lankhmar. I can't see them doing that world, as a follow up to Forgotten Realms, but if they are going to do one-shot D&D setting books, that do not get much follow up support (i.e. they do not give us 10 years of adventure and sourcebook support) it might be more viable to buy a one-shot Lankhmar licence.

One thing that concerns me is that, people often namecheck Lankhmar (there are 153 posts that mention Lankhmar at The Piazza - 154 after I post this reply) but people seem less keen to actually start topics about it (there has only been six threads started for Lankhmar at The Piazza).

I don't know if there are masses of Lankhmar fans writing about the tabletop campaign setting elsewhere (I hope there are) but it would have been great if there had been more interest in the campaign setting over here over the last six and three quarter years.
Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Yes, but they have specifically dropped the Mystara trademark, while mentioning the campaign setting in their 5e core rulebooks. So we already know that dropping trademark status is not an indication that they are totally abandoning the idea of republishing a setting.

So if that is the case for Mystara, I'm not sure we can read anything into the other dropped trademarks.
I was under the impression that although they let the Mystara Trademark slip for a while they have now renewed it? They do afterall lisence out the Chronicles of Mystara rights to Capcom...
All I am saying is that dropping the trademarks of most of the old D&D settings, is a red herring. It does not limit their ability to use their IP. If you look at 3e Greyhawk products, like Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil or Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk, they didn't even both to put a Greyhawk logo on them. So, if they make a 5e Mystara book (or books) they might not care about the old "M" logo.
shesheyan wrote:Just posted the link of the poll to 4 different forums in my region. If going to be a popularity vote might as well spread the news as much as possible !
I tried to do that too. I noticed specific sub-communities getting very excited about pushing their own setting, but I would love to see all the settings (including ones I would probably not buy) get a fair chance.
shesheyan wrote:Currently Greyhawk and Eberron are in the lead for 300+ votes. Its interesting to see that they are the oldest and newest setting. I wonder if its a generational gap between two cohorts of players (AD&D and 3E) ? It would have been nice to ask age group as part of the survey.
Almost. Blackmoor is older and Nentir Vale is newer. ;)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

paladinnicolas wrote:Eberron, which to my mind is the best campaign setting ever, has taken the lead and is the one with the most votes currently, which makes me happy :)
I would be very surprised if Eberron doesn't get published as a 5e campaign setting. But the question is: will it be the next one, or will WotC bring back something like Greyhawk, just to try to win over old school fans to 5e.

Publishing a 5e Greyhawk Campaign Setting, and then bringing back classic GH adventures, with a "use this in Greyhawk or use it in any other setting" sidebar, could allow GMs to do the sort of "old school raiding" that Nentir Vale did, without anyone thinking that 5e is "stealing stuff" from Greyhawk. (And the same could apply to Mystara and old BECMI adventures.)

I get the feeling that Eberron could actually gain new content, that has never been seen before.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

Big Mac wrote:Almost. Blackmoor is older and Nentir Vale is newer. ;)
LOL! I For me, having started with Greyhawk it was part of the setting. its only many years later that I learned it was the first setting.

But is Nentir Vale truly a setting? Felt incomplete so I never used it. I transplanted the material in my home-brew setting.

Wiki : Nentir Vale is the sample community provided as a default setting in the 4th edition 4th edition Dungeon Master's Guide. Most sourcebooks refer to the cosmology this community exists in as simply "the D&D world" though this appears to be an informal term. The overall setting is one in which great empires of various races, including tieflings and dragonborn, have long ago or recently fallen. Towns and other civilization centers are described as "points of light" in an otherwise dark age, with the DM encouraged by the guidebook to leave the rest of the world largely unplanned, vague and unpredictable. The deities presented in the 4th edition Dungeon Master's Guide are a combination of Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms and newly created gods. What cultural uniformity exists beyond the Nentir Vale, other than the Material Plane-wide worship of some or all of these figures, is little.

I have a feeling WoTC is going to throw a curve ball at us.
How about an Encyclopedia «Settings of D&D» with 4 settings. 100 pages each?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

shesheyan wrote:How about an Encyclopedia «Settings of D&D» with 4 settings. 100 pages each?
This is the sort of thing I would like to see. Collections of settings in one book. Maybe themed. Complete with new rules, new classes, monsters, equipment etc.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

Havard wrote:
shesheyan wrote:How about an Encyclopedia «Settings of D&D» with 4 settings. 100 pages each?
This is the sort of thing I would like to see. Collections of settings in one book. Maybe themed. Complete with new rules, new classes, monsters, equipment etc.

-Havard
I would like that too !
Looking at Numenera, Monte Cook manages to write a very convincing setting at just under 100 pages.
If WoTC put 4 settings + a chunky chapter on Planescape (Sigil) to unify them it would be an excellent product. (450 pages)

I would go with : Dark Sun, Birthright, Greyhawk, Eberron + Planescape.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

shesheyan wrote:
Havard wrote:

-Havard
I would like that too !
Looking at Numenera, Monte Cook manages to write a very convincing setting at just under 100 pages.
If WoTC put 4 settings + a chunky chapter on Planescape (Sigil) to unify them it would be an excellent product. (450 pages)

I would go with : Dark Sun, Birthright, Greyhawk, Eberron + Planescape.

I'd throw them into different groups:
  • Sword & Sorcery: Greyhawk, Blackmoor, Nentir Vale
  • Classic Fantasy: Dragonlance, Mystara, Birthright
  • Extreme Fantasy: Dark Sun, Eberron, Ravenloft,
  • Transitional Fantasy: Planescape & Spelljammer
4 books. Or more even!

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 »

Big Mac wrote:
rabindranath72 wrote:Voted Birthright, Dragonlance, Dark Sun, Ravenloft and Lankhmar.
I love Dragonlance and Birthright, but I'd like some Sword & Sorcery setting too, so Dark Sun or Lankhmar would be excellent.
I've seen some people say something along the lines of "you couldn't do Birthright with newer rules" a few times, but I would love to see that proven wrong. (I believe that you can play any D&D world using any D&D rules, if you put the work in.)

I think that Dragonlance, Dark Sun or Ravenloft would be most likely out of the ones you chose.
I have been running a 5e Birthright campaign for the last 4 months, and it's going reasonably well. I say "reasonably" because as a 2e setting Birthright is quite peculiar; it introduces lots of small changes and "ad hoc"eries, which are not always straightforward to port to 5e, due to the latter being less "freeform" in terms of rules than 2e. There's also the issue that in 5e magic is more widespread as a class option, but spellcasters are not as powerful, on a spell-by-spell basis. For example, in my group there are a druid and a bard; in 2e, both have spells which can affect units in the War Cards system, but in 5e, only one spell of the druid can affect a unit, so the PCs were substantially less effective in the mass battles. Also, I haven't used the Domain rules, as this is my first time running 5e, and I didn't want to spend too much time into conversions.
Although we are liking the game quite a lot, if I had to do another run of Birthright, I'd probably stick to 2e; there's just such a wealth of rules-related stuff, that porting all of it to 5e is going to be very time consuming.

I don't foresee similar problems with more "standard" settings, like Dragonlance and Greyhawk; in fact, my next 5e campaign will be a port of a 3.0 Dragonlance campaign I have run last year which was put on hiatus.
I wonder if WotC would need to go and buy a new licence for Lankhmar. I can't see them doing that world, as a follow up to Forgotten Realms, but if they are going to do one-shot D&D setting books, that do not get much follow up support (i.e. they do not give us 10 years of adventure and sourcebook support) it might be more viable to buy a one-shot Lankhmar licence.
At this stage, I think there's zero chance to see Lankhmar: a Savage Worlds edition is in the works. It's probably for the best, as the previous attempts at doing Lankhmar by TSR, although fun, weren't very faithful to the works of Leiber.

Bochi
Orc

Post by Bochi »

Wilderlands would always get my vote.

I'm impressed with what I've seen so far of Frog God's Lost Lands setting. Since they appear to have taken a strategic decision to produce 5e material, and have converted some bits of back catalogue already, I hope to see more from them.

Kodyax
Troll

Post by Kodyax »

SpellJammer is my all time favorite setting with Eberron a close second. But I really do want to see Mystara get done for no other reason than that one will include lupin as a playable race which I can then use in Spelljammer and Eberron.

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle »

I'll chime in that Mystara would be the vote of mine. Spelljammer always has a fond wish attached to them, as I believe they provide a good connection to the other worlds.

Planescape would be cool, if they used a variant of the Great Wheel cosmology for each world. Or at least say that most published worlds DONT ignore the Planescape material (Dragonlance has its own cosmology, Ravenloft is funny, Birthright didn't dwell too much on it, Forgotten Realms got shoehorned into it, Mystara didn't really have one... and the like_.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin »

Apparently I didn't post in this thread yet - so, Mystara!

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”