Short Rest & Long Rest

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Marco Fossati
Stone Giant

Short Rest & Long Rest

Post by Marco Fossati »

Is anyone planning to use the alternate rule in DMG for short and long rest?

With the alternate rule:
Short rest=8 hours rest
Long rest=1 week rest

I'm very intrigued by it; campaigning and adventuring would be very dangerous ;)

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: Short Rest & Long Rest

Post by shesheyan »

I won't be using that.
I still have nightmares about our party barricaded in a small room, on the third level of a dungeon, with everyone's HPs down to 1 or 2.
We had to wait until the cleric regained his spells.
It was a very slow process to say the least. ;-)

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin »

I won't be either. We almost had a TPK last night with 2 of the 5 PCs downed (one got to 2 failed death saves before being aided). And they were deep in the dungeon.

We play with HP's being very abstract, so that you could possibly be down to 1 HP without actually being very hurt. If you think about it, the characters are fully functional all the way down to 1 HP without any penalties whatsoever; the hit that takes you to 0 HP is the one that *really* connects.

I guess you could say we play that HPs are more like fatigue, nicks, bruises, etc., i.e. light damage, that short and long rests of 1 and 8 hours respectively makes sense to us.

I have run games with more serious damage and healing rules but I found they just dragged the game out and didn't add to the enjoyment.

You may experience otherwise, though.

Marco Fossati
Stone Giant

Post by Marco Fossati »

In the few sessions I ran through as a DM I also noticed the high-rate PCs' deaths (5 in 3 sessions).

I'd like to use the variant in a very dangerous wolrd I'm creating but I'm still unsure about it.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 »

I have been using it in my 5e Birthright campaign. It works because the characters have not been locked in a single place, rather running around the countryside, fighting skirmishes, and having mass battles. It helped reign-in the more powerful (w.r.t 2e) spellcasters (the bard in particular.)

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

I have decided to use it for HP, but so far not for spells.

I am looking to have my campaign be a bit more on the gritty side and combats are much farther between than the typical 5E campaign. I have not used it for spellcasters though as I was worried about them getting nerfed. I find it interesting that some spellcasting classes may need to be reigned in though?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 »

Havard wrote:I have decided to use it for HP, but so far not for spells.

I am looking to have my campaign be a bit more on the gritty side and combats are much farther between than the typical 5E campaign. I have not used it for spellcasters though as I was worried about them getting nerfed. I find it interesting that some spellcasting classes may need to be reigned in though?

-Havard
It can become an issue for some classes, and not for others. For example, Warlocks rely on being able to "refresh" their spell slots more often. I suppose using the variant depends on whether you plan to use all the spellcasting classes. For example in my BR game I had a druid and a bard, and it worked well.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

rabindranath72 wrote:
Havard wrote:I have decided to use it for HP, but so far not for spells.

It can become an issue for some classes, and not for others. For example, Warlocks rely on being able to "refresh" their spell slots more often. I suppose using the variant depends on whether you plan to use all the spellcasting classes. For example in my BR game I had a druid and a bard, and it worked well.
At the moment, my group consists of a Cleric, a Monk and a Ranger (Pluss three NPCs, who are a Ranger, and two fighters).

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN »

Thus far, I'm using the standard short (1 hour) and long (8 hours, but really only 4) rests. It's an elf-centric campaign heavy on the magic and low on the levels, so the spell slots per day are still a bit on the low side (although the missus' character makes good use of the firebolt cantrip).

Now, this may change, should she and her NPC traveling companions leave the Sylvan Realm. :twisted:
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”