[Homebrew] Inspiration

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

[Homebrew] Inspiration

Post by shesheyan »

After two sessions with 5E rules I decided to automatically give one (1) Inspiration point, per character, each morning. In addition each character can gain +1 IP during the day for good role-play or other options mentioned in the DMG.

Now I'm thinking to give an additional IP for each 4 levels. 1, 5, 9, 13, 17, 21. For exemple, a 9th level character would have each morning 3 IPs + 1 other that can be earned during the day.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Re: [Homebrew] Inspiration

Post by rabindranath72 »

I am thinking instead of dropping the mechanic altogether for my next campaign. In the last campaign it proved somewhat burdensome to keep track of traits.
Or I in alternative, using the DMG option and leave to the players the burden of awarding IPs to each other.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

rabindranath72 wrote:I am thinking instead of dropping the mechanic altogether for my next campaign. In the last campaign it proved somewhat burdensome to keep track of traits.
Or I in alternative, using the DMG option and leave to the players the burden of awarding IPs to each other.
I like both of these options :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin »

We accidentally instituted a house-ruled inspiration mechanic.

As we were all still learning 5E, I didn't read the Inspiration rules carefully enough and ruled on the fly that you could use it after you see the results on your roll. In effect, it became a re-roll mechanism. We have decided to keep it this way even in our second concurrently-running campaign.

We also don't worry too much about rewarding inspiration specifically related to PC's traits, but rather for notable roleplaying in general, which of course does relate to their traits sometimes.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

Hugin wrote:We accidentally instituted a house-ruled inspiration mechanic.

As we were all still learning 5E, I didn't read the Inspiration rules carefully enough and ruled on the fly that you could use it after you see the results on your roll. In effect, it became a re-roll mechanism. We have decided to keep it this way even in our second concurrently-running campaign.

We also don't worry too much about rewarding inspiration specifically related to PC's traits, but rather for notable roleplaying in general, which of course does relate to their traits sometimes.
We also use it as a reroll. ;)

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”