Monk's Bonus attack

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Post Reply
User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 21466
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Monk's Bonus attack

Post by Havard »

Do Monks get the ability score modifier on their unarmed bonus attack at 1st level, or is it handled similar to Two-Weapon fighting?

At 5th level, when Monk Recieves the Extra attack ability, does this mean he gets 3 attacks or 4?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero
Posts: 3021
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm
Gender: male
Location: Montreal

Re: Monk's Bonus attack

Post by shesheyan »

When in doubt I use «Specific Beats General» rule on page 7 of the PHB.
The specific rule of the Monk overrides the General Two-weapon Fighting rule.

Yes. At 1st level Monks can use Dex instead of Str for the attack and damage rollS of your unarmed strikeS.
«S» are important here. He also gets to use Dex on the Bonus Attack.

Monks are better than the other classes at two-weapon fighting (with monk weapons) and two-hand unarmed attacks.

User avatar
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero
Posts: 3021
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm
Gender: male
Location: Montreal

Re: Monk's Bonus attack

Post by shesheyan »

Extra Attack at 5th level :
4 attacks. Twice for the Regular Attack Action and twice for the Bonus Attack Action.

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 21466
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Monk's Bonus attack

Post by Havard »

Wow,
I agree on the Dex thing, but my gut reaction suggested only 1 bonus attack. I have been pretty lazy about learning the rules though, so its only with my campaign actually getting some actual playing time that I have found motivation to do some more serious studying of the rulebooks. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero
Posts: 3021
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm
Gender: male
Location: Montreal

Re: Monk's Bonus attack

Post by shesheyan »

Havard wrote:Wow,
I agree on the Dex thing, but my gut reaction suggested only 1 bonus attack. I have been pretty lazy about learning the rules though, so its only with my campaign actually getting some actual playing time that I have found motivation to do some more serious studying of the rulebooks. :)

-Havard
The hardest part for me is the unlearn the previous edition!
But I have to say, the combat rules for 5E are very straight forward and its also a very short read.

rabindranath72
White Dragon
Posts: 2617
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: Monk's Bonus attack

Post by rabindranath72 »

shesheyan wrote: The hardest part for me is the unlearn the previous edition!
Indeed! Last session we went back to D&D 3.0 to finish a campaign, and I seriously botched running one of the encounters :oops:
This drove home the point that running 5e is way easier than 3.0.

User avatar
Hugin
Messenger of Odin
Posts: 4189
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 9:40 pm
Gender: male
Location: Fergus, Ontario

Re: Monk's Bonus attack

Post by Hugin »

rabindranath72 wrote:
shesheyan wrote: The hardest part for me is the unlearn the previous edition!
Indeed! Last session we went back to D&D 3.0 to finish a campaign, and I seriously botched running one of the encounters :oops:
This drove home the point that running 5e is way easier than 3.0.
I have to agree with both of these folks; you have to unlearn other editions to some degree (or at least compartmentalize the editions and not let aspects cross-pollinate).

As an added note of reminder when it comes to the monk's attacking, be mindful that several things, included an 'off-hand' attack like two-weapon fighting, requires the use of your bonus action and you only have one of those a round.

Also note that a monk's unarmed attack does not necessarily need an empty hand; they could be using two small weapons, or a quarter staff held with two hands, and still make an unarmed attack by kicking, headbutting, elbowing, etc. [the rules did leave this slightly vague so that a DM could rule either way for their game.]

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 21466
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Monk's Bonus attack

Post by Havard »

Hugin wrote:As an added note of reminder when it comes to the monk's attacking, be mindful that several things, included an 'off-hand' attack like two-weapon fighting, requires the use of your bonus action and you only have one of those a round.

Also note that a monk's unarmed attack does not necessarily need an empty hand; they could be using two small weapons, or a quarter staff held with two hands, and still make an unarmed attack by kicking, headbutting, elbowing, etc. [the rules did leave this slightly vague so that a DM could rule either way for their game.]
So this means 2 normal attacks and one bonus attack at 5th level? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
Hugin
Messenger of Odin
Posts: 4189
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 9:40 pm
Gender: male
Location: Fergus, Ontario

Re: Monk's Bonus attack

Post by Hugin »

Havard wrote:So this means 2 normal attacks and one bonus attack at 5th level? :)

-Havard
At 5th level once a monk gains the Extra Attack, he can attack twice when taking the Attack action. This is a full second attack that can target a different opponent if desired and includes your ability mod on damage (as opposed to Two Weapon Fighting that does not allow a mod bonus to damage). This is the same as the fighter's Extra Attack, except the fighter gets even more later on.

With one Attack Action, the monk can make 2 attacks, and use his 1 bonus action to attack again using either TWF or Martial Arts. But if the monk spends 1 Ki point with that bonus action, he can use Flurry of Blows which grant 2 unarmed strikes.

So usually it would be 2 normal attacks and 1 bonus action attack, but it can be 2 normal attacks and 2 unarmed attacks using Flurry of Blows.

[As I was reading through the monk section to answer this question, it dawned on me that this is a really good version of a monk. I like that you don't have to be an "unarmed guy" to be a good monk. In fact, weapons are still usually better, but you'll also be throwing in extra kicks and punches and stuff. I actually find this monk interesting!]

User avatar
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero
Posts: 3021
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm
Gender: male
Location: Montreal

Re: Monk's Bonus attack

Post by shesheyan »

Hugin : there is a FAQ that says the a bonus attack is just like a regular attack. So if you have something that gives an extra attack per attack it also applies to the bonus attack.

FAQ : « WotC wrote: Thank you for contacting Wizards Customer Service. For Dungeon and Dragons, if you have an ability that grants you a full attack action, you can do everything you would normally do during at attack. This will trigger any effects including extra attacks. »

Also good to read :
http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.ph ... VpoAWCvIgs

User avatar
Hugin
Messenger of Odin
Posts: 4189
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 9:40 pm
Gender: male
Location: Fergus, Ontario

Re: Monk's Bonus attack

Post by Hugin »

shesheyan wrote:Hugin : there is a FAQ that says the a bonus attack is just like a regular attack. So if you have something that gives an extra attack per attack it also applies to the bonus attack.

FAQ : « WotC wrote: Thank you for contacting Wizards Customer Service. For Dungeon and Dragons, if you have an ability that grants you a full attack action, you can do everything you would normally do during at attack. This will trigger any effects including extra attacks. »
I'm not sure how this applies. Martial Arts grants an unarmed strike by using a bonus action, Extra Attack grants two attacks by using an attack action. Neither ability "grants you a full attack action".

What this FAQ relates to is something like the fighter's Action Surge which can grant you a full attack action. A level 5 fighter with Extra Attack and Action Surge can indeed have 4 attacks in addition to a possible bonus action to attack with a second weapon in a different hand (5 attack in total).

A monk does not get a second attack action, just additional attacks.
Yes, this is a good resource. However, note these points:
[Q]-For 2weapon fighting, do you get at most 1 bonus hit a turn even if you have Extra Attacks from the fighter? (Uses Bonus action)
[A]that's correct. Since it uses your onus action, you can only use it once. -M


Another one;
[Q]Action Surge+TWF+Haste at 20th level how many att does this yield?
[A]A bunch of attacks! At level 20, Attack action + TWF = 5 attacks. Action surge = 4 attacks. Haste = 1 attack. -J

Note how a 20th level fighter using the attack action gets 4 attacks from his Extra Attack ability plus 1 attack by using TWF, for 5 in total, all from his one action and his bonus action. Also note that his action surge provides another 4 attacks (as a second attack action) but cannot use a second bonus action for TWF; he has used his only one.

Sorry for being a little long winded but I wanted to be as clear as possible. Each character has as a base allowance, 1 action, movement, 1 reaction, and 1 bonus action. Reactions and bonus actions can only be used if there is something to allow it, and they are not interchangeable with each other or with a regular action.

[Q]Can an Action be a Bonus Action? i.e Can a Bard use a BA to grant Bardic Inspiration and an action to cast Healing Word?
[A]Actions and bonus actions aren't interchangeable, so that bard could use Bardic Inspiration or healing word, not both on a turn. -J

Post Reply

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”