KISS: Which 5E Rules Can You Do Without?

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

KISS: Which 5E Rules Can You Do Without?

Post by Havard »

Gone are the days when I believed that more rules were the key to the best D&D game possible. Yeah I actually believed that for a while. I was young, so please forgive me :D

These days I prefer my games pretty simple.

What sort of things have you decided not to use in your 5E games?

Some thoughts
1) Multiclassing & Feats: These are marked optional in the rulebook, so I am not using them.
2) Backgrounds: I could see these easily removed. OTOH, I am actually using them at the moment. They dont really bog down game play much beyond adding another step to character creation.
3) Inspiration: I am currently not using this mechanic since we are still getting into the system, but I do rather like the idea.

What have you decided to use and not use for a Keep it Simple type 5E campaign?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: KISS: Which 5E Rules Can You Do Without?

Post by RobJN »

You've pretty much covered the rules I'm doing without, Havard. Of course running a one-on-one campaign, the missus hasn't hit 4th level, but I think she's going to opt out of feats. We'll have to see, after another couple sessions.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

We are using everything. Its a rules lite edition when compared to 3.5.
Don't plan on cutting out anything in the near future.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

shesheyan wrote:We are using everything. Its a rules lite edition when compared to 3.5.
Don't plan on cutting out anything in the near future.
Feats and Multiclassing even? How are you finding those rules? Multi-Classing has been problematic in most editions which is another reason why I am hesitant to allow this specific rule.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

Feats are a trade off to boosting the characters stats. You want a feat then you don't get the +1 on two stats or +2 on one stat. You can choose between stat raise or a feat every 4th level. There are only 42 feats and most of them are similar to class features (rather than combat oriented feats as in 3.5).

Multi-classing : Its a mix between using with the total character level and individual class levels for some class features. Class Features like Channel Divinity, Extra Attack, Unarmed Defence and Spell Casting have their own «how to paragraph». There is a multi-class Spellcaster Spell Slot table to make sure none ends up with a gazillion spells per day. Very straight forward and simple.
Last edited by shesheyan on Tue May 26, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Post by Princess Strega »

I am not completely on the up and up of everything 5E, but AFAIK 5E is pretty much a builder blocks system; each sub-system is completely optional and subject to whether the DM allows it or not and if not it won't bork the game.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin »

We aren't using the multi-class rules in ether of the games I'm in (one as DM and one as player). It hasn't been removed as an option, it's just no one has even mentioned it.

Feats are an excellent example of game options that can be used, or not used, on an individual player base. We've had some players use it and others not. Yet the system rocks on.

We haven't found the rules to be time-intensive at all and so haven't found any to avoid. And we even have people who have never played an RPG before.

Bochi
Orc

Post by Bochi »

As with Havard, I am not using feats, multi-classing or inspiration. However this is mainly due to the players not bothering with them. Since the game I am running is an 8-week slot at my gaming club, Have Dice in Poole, and it's my first attempt at DM'ing 5e, I am open to playing any mechanics the players want to try out.

We used backgrounds because they provide some starting equipment and proficiencies straight off without having to spend more time shopping. I don't mind this stuff as long as players don't feel constrained by it. They can create their own backgrounds if they want, as far as I'm concerned, as long as it doesn't include anything obviously over-powered compared to the "official" backgrounds.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin »

Bochi wrote:They can create their own backgrounds if they want, as far as I'm concerned, as long as it doesn't include anything obviously over-powered compared to the "official" backgrounds.
That is the beauty of the background option, they are officially only "samples" and the book provides a section on "customizing a background".

I must add that, while us seasoned gamers thought they were 'nice touches', the new players *really* found them helpful.

Expanding the scope of rules that we are discussing, we haven't (in either group) adopted any of the optional rules from the DMG into our games. At least not yet.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 »

I think I am going to ditch skills the next campaign, and use the Background-as-skill option in the DMG.
I have left feat use up to the players; only one chose feats, the others preferred the stat increase.
I have used Inspiration, but I have left it to the players to adjudicate it (per DMG option) as I found it cumbersome to track the use of Traits by players which would trigger Inspiration gain.

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”