Converting Rules Cyclopedia Monsters to 5E

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Re: Converting Rules Cyclopedia Monsters to 5E

Post by Hugin » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:18 am

NIGHTWING
Huge undead (nightshade), lawful evil
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Armour Class 20 (natural armour)
Hit Points 200 (16d12 + 96)
Speed 20 ft., fly 60 ft.
STR|DEX|CON|INT|WIS|CHA
19 (+4)|14 (+2)|22 (+6)|19 (+4)|19 (+4)|20 (+5)

Saving Throws Int +9, Wis +9
Skills Stealth +7, Intimidation +10
Damage Immunities acid, cold, fire, lightning, necrotic, poison, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Condition Immunities blinded, charmed, deafened, frightened, petrified, poisoned
Senses truesight 60 ft., passive Perception 14
Languages understands all but can't speak, telepathy 120 ft.
Challenge 15 (13,000 XP)

Ethereal Jaunt. As a bonus action, the nightwing can magically shift from the Material Plane to the Ethereal Plane, or vise versa.

Ethereal Sight. The nightwing can see 60 feet into the Ethereal Plane when it is on the Material Plane, and vise versa.

Innate Spellcasting. The nightwing's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 18, +10 to hit with spell attacks). The nightwing can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
At will: charm person, detect magic
3/day each: darkness, dispel magic, haste, invisibility
2/day each: confusion, contagion, cloudkill, hold monster
1/day each: finger of death

Magic Resistance. The nightwing has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Nightshade Presence. The presence of a nightwing has an effect on its surroundings within a radius of 120 feet. This aura is felt as chilled air, and spoils all food, water, holy water, potions, salves, and ointments (even if magical), making them functionally useless. Nightwings are often at a disadvantage when attempting to surprise their victims due to their aura.

Sunlight Weakness. While in sunlight, the nightwing has disadvantage on attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws.

Turn Resistance. The nightwing has advantage on saving throws against any effect that turns undead.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The nightwing uses its Summon Undead if it can and makes one bite attack.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature.
Hit: 9 (1d10 + 4) piercing damage, plus 22 (5d8) poison damage. The creature must succeed on a DC 17 Wisdom saving throw or be polymorphed into a giant bat and charmed by the nightwing.

Summon Undead (Recharges after a Short or Long Rest). The Nightwing magically summons three will-o'-wisps, a ghost, or a wraith. The summoned undead appear in an unoccupied space within 60 feet of its summoner and acts as an ally of its summoner. They remain for 1 hour, until it or its summoner dies, or until its summoner dismisses it as an action.

Last edited by Hugin on Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:22 pm

Awesome! The stat-block png looks the same as it did before? This is what I usually left-click-save-as anyway.
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:55 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:22 pm
Awesome! The stat-block png looks the same as it did before? This is what I usually left-click-save-as anyway.
Indeed, the image stat-block is created from the same program as previously and is not affected by the forum change-over.

The ability scores and modifiers look better than the previous ones after the table tags breaking, even though they're still tagged as a table (and don't show as a table).

The nightshades have been really tough to work out (one of the straws that contributed to that poor camel's back). I think I have it distilled down enough to be manageable.

The main departures from the RC source is the attack on magical items. It felt very meta-game punishing to me, and I really have no idea how to balance (in a 5E context) a creature that is immune to most forms of damage, must be hit with magical weapons, has advantage against spell saving throws, and could then effectively take away those magic weapons/items. I toyed with a modified anti-magic spell effect, applicable only against weapons/items, but it felt too complex and contrived.

The other change is regarding nightshade poison. I implemented it as poison damage added to its regular bite damage. What I couldn't figure out was what their poison did in the RC. It says its "deadly poisonous" and there's a save vs poison but it doesn't specifically say what happens on a failure - I'm assuming death. Save or die is not a 5E philosophy so I'm inclined to use poison damage instead (which doesn't need a save in my conversion as it's automatic with a successful hit).

Anyway, I'm very happy to be back in the saddle of this horse!

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:51 pm

I had a problem last campaign with a 10th level barbarian character that had resistance to every form of damage except for psychic. The meta-game answer was to attack with psychic damage inducing creatures, but that would not have been fair to the player, imo.

Campaign-wise, a high level assassin took a strong dislike to him and attempted to assassinate him using poison.

Every poison hit, (if he failed a save) only did half damage. Coupled with my inexperience with poison rules and frustration caused me to look closely at the poison rules. I held a discussion with the players, & I asked if poison could - after a failed roll - possibly cause not only the Poisoned condition (no resistance effects the condition, but a barbarian rage could counteract the disadvantages), but also incur a level of Exhaustion after each instance of being poisoned. They agreed that poison should be more dangerous.

So my house rules for poison also causes 1 level of exhaustion per instance of poisoning damage that the saving throw fails. Exhaustion is not caused by poison that causes paralysis or any other condition but causes no damage.

I like this because exhaustion does not go away automatically, but only after an 8 hour rest. Any poisoned condition has the chance of being shaken off each round by a successful saving throw.

I hate adding a house rule like this, because I personally believe it's too fiddly for 5e, but there are some things that just aren't deadly enough in the game to challenge my players at mid-to-high levels. Poison is at the top of that list.

As to the original RC nightshade powers, I'll take your word for it, as I don't recall their powers. ;) It sounds like it has a specific dispel magic ability, and our previous 5e DM had problems with a player using this spell as written, because the DM saw it as dispelling all magic in an area (no rules at hand, can't check for accuracy...), so we looked at previous edition dispel magic spells, and I offered a reasonable variant: Dispel magic could be used to dispel one of three effects per casting: a spell or spell-like effect (ending a spell prematurely), target a specific magic item (permanently), or suppressing an area of effect temporarily - including spell-like abilities for the duration of the dispel magic.

(...or something like that...) :cool:
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:34 am

Dread Delgath wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:51 pm
I hate adding a house rule like this, because I personally believe it's too fiddly for 5e, but there are some things that just aren't deadly enough in the game to challenge my players at mid-to-high levels. Poison is at the top of that list.
I actually quite agree with you. I've been looking at having critical hits applying a level of exhaustion in my own game. For these conversions my intention is to make them feel as core 5E as possible - people can house-rule things afterward, as we are prone to do. But I intend to increase the use of the ehaustion mechanic in my games considerably.

I also toyed with the idea of using the poisoned condition for nightshades, but I dropped it based on how high the complexity is already in these encounteres (and adjusted the poison damage up instead).
As to the original RC nightshade powers, I'll take your word for it, as I don't recall their powers. ;) It sounds like it has a specific dispel magic ability, and our previous 5e DM had problems with a player using this spell as written, because the DM saw it as dispelling all magic in an area (no rules at hand, can't check for accuracy...), so we looked at previous edition dispel magic spells, and I offered a reasonable variant: Dispel magic could be used to dispel one of three effects per casting: a spell or spell-like effect (ending a spell prematurely), target a specific magic item (permanently), or suppressing an area of effect temporarily - including spell-like abilities for the duration of the dispel magic.

(...or something like that...) :cool:
The thing about dispel magic in 5E is that it targets one creature, one object, or one magical effect, but note that dispel magic ends spells. The boon, of course, is that if the creature or object has more than one spell effecting it, dispel magic can potentially dispel multiple spells.

The quick answer to "Does Dispel Magic work on 'x'", is to look at the source spell's duration; if there is still a duration in effect, it can be potentially dispeled - if there is no duration currently in effect (such as it being instantaneous, or the effect of an item's properties like a +1 sword), it can't be dispeled.
Last edited by Hugin on Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:38 am

NIGHTWALKER
Huge undead (nightshade), lawful evil
Armour Class 19 (natural armour)
Hit Points 250 (20d12 + 120)
Speed 40 ft.
STR|DEX|CON|INT|WIS|CHA
25 (+7)|12 (+1)|23 (+6)|19 (+4)|19 (+4)|22 (+6)

Saving Throws Int +10, Wis +10
Skills Athletics +13, Intimidation +12
Damage Immunities acid, cold, fire, lightning, necrotic, poison, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Condition Immunities blinded, charmed, deafened, frightened, petrified, poisoned
Challenge 19 (22,000 XP)

Ethereal Jaunt. As a bonus action, the nightwalker can magically shift from the Material Plane to the Ethereal Plane, or vise versa.

Ethereal Sight. The nightwalker can see 60 feet into the Ethereal Plane when it is on the Material Plane, and vise versa.

Innate Spellcasting. The nightwalker's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 18, +10 to hit with spell attacks). The nightwalker can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

Magic Resistance. The nightwalker has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Nightshade Presence. The presence of a nightwalker has an effect on it's surroundings within a radius of 120 feet. This aura is felt as chilled air, and spoils all food, water, holy water, potions, salves, and ointments (even if magical), making them functionally useless. Nightwalkers are often at a disadvantage when attempting to surprise their victims due to their aura.

Sunlight Weakness. While in sunlight, the nightwalker has disadvantage on attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws.

Turn Resistance. The Nightwalker has advantage on saving throws against any effect that turns undead.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The nightwalker uses Summon Undead if it can, and one fist attack. Alternatively, it makes two fist attacks.

Fist. Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target.
Hit: 23 (3d10 + 7) bludgeoning damage, plus 27 (5d10) poison damage if the target is a creature.

Summon Undead (Recharges after a Short or Long Rest). The Nightwalker magically summons three will-o'-wisps, a ghost, or a wraith. The summoned undead appear in an unoccupied space within 60 feet of its summoner and acts as an ally of its summoner. They remain for 1 hour, until it or its summoner dies, or until its summoner dismisses it as an action.

Last edited by Hugin on Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:06 am

NIGHTCRAWLER
Gargantuan undead (nightshade), lawful evil
Armour Class 18 (natural armour)
Hit Points 367 (21d20 + 147)
Speed 50 ft., borrow 30 ft.
STR|DEX|CON|INT|WIS|CHA
27 (+8)|7 (-2)|25 (+7)|19 (+4)|19 (+4)|24 (+7)

Saving Throws Int +11, Wis +11
Skills Intimidation +14
Challenge 22 (41,000 XP)

Ethereal Jaunt. As a bonus action, the nightcrawler can magically shift from the Material Plane to the Ethereal Plane, or vise versa.

Ethereal Sight. The nightcrawler can see 60 feet into the Ethereal Plane when it is on the Material Plane, and vise versa.

Innate Spellcasting. The nightcrawler's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 18, +10 to hit with spell attacks). The nightcrawler can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

Magic Resistance. The nightcrawler has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Nightshade Presence. The presence of a nightcrawler has an effect on it's surroundings within a radius of 120 feet. This aura is felt as chilled air, and spoils all food, water, holy water, potions, salves, and ointments (even if magical), making them functionally useless. Nightcrawlers are often at a disadvantage when attempting to surprise their victims due to their aura.

Sunlight Weakness. While in sunlight, the nightcrawler has disadvantage on attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws.

Turn Resistance. The Nightcrawler has advantage on saving throws against any effect that turns undead.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The nightcrawler makes two attacks: one with its bite and one with its stinger.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target.
Hit: 21 (3d8 + 8) piercing damage, plus 32 (5d12) poison damage if the target is a creature. If the target is a Large or smaller creature, it must succeed on a DC 19 Dexterity saving throw or be swallowed by the nightcrawler. A swallowed creature is blinded and restrained, it has total cover against attacks and other effects outside the nightcrawler, and it takes 32 (5d12) poison damage at the start of each of the nightcrawler's turns.
If the nightcrawler takes 35 damage or more on a single turn from a creature inside it, the nightcrawler must succeed on a DC 21 Constitution saving throw at the end of that turn or regurgitate all swallowed creatures, which fall prone in a space within 10 feet of the nightcrawler. If the nightcrawler dies, a swallowed creature is no longer restrained by it and can escape from the corpse by using 20 feet of movement, exiting prone.

Tail Stinger. Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 10 ft., one creature.
Hit: 18 (3d6 + 8) piercing damage, plus 32 (5d12) poison damage.

Summon Undead (Recharges after a Short or Long Rest). The Nightcrawler magically summons three will-o'-wisps, a ghost, or a wraith. The summoned undead appear in an unoccupied space within 60 feet of its summoner and acts as an ally of its summoner. They remain for 1 hour, until it or its summoner dies, or until its summoner dismisses it as an action.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:57 am

Nice high challenge monsters good for a Council of Wryms campaign focused on the Cult of the Dracolich.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:00 am

NIXIE
Small fey, chaotic neutral
Armour Class 12
Hit Points 3 (1d6)
Speed 30 ft., swim 30 ft.
STR|DEX|CON|INT|WIS|CHA
9 (-1)|15 (+2)|10 (+0)|13 (+1)|14 (+2)|16 (+3)

Skills Stealth +4, Nature +3
Senses passive Perception 12
Languages Common, Elvish, Sylvan
Challenge ¼ (50 XP)

Innate Spellcasting. The nixie's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). The nixie can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
At will: water breathing
1/day: geas

Summon Bass (Recharge after a Short Rest). The nixie magically calls one giant bass. The bass arrives in 1 round, acting as allies of the nixie and obeying its spoken commands. The fish remains for 1 hour, until the nixie dies, or until the nixie dismisses it as a bonus action.

ACTIONS

Trident. Melee Weapon Attack: +1 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 2 (1d6 -1) piercing damage, or 3 (1d6 - 1) piercing damage if used with two hands.

Dagger. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.

REACTIONS

Collective Geas. When a nixie casts geas, a nixie may cast their geas on the same target, if available. Casting geas using Collective Geas is not treated as a separate spell; it does not require another saving throw from the target. Instead, it combines with, and aids the geas spell that triggered Collective Geas. For every two nixies using Collective Geas, the geas spell is treated as being cast at one level higher. A sole nixie, even if aided by one nixie using Collective Geas, casts geas at spell level 5. If aided by two or three nixies, the geas is cast at spell level 6. The geas can be cast at spell level 9 if aided by at least eight nixies using Collective Geas.

[Update edit: I have revamped the nixies' ability to group-cast geas. It is now implemented as a reaction for other nixies to join in with the casting of the geas spell to incease the spell level cast at. In the RC, nixies could cast a geas only if there were at least 10 of them, and it would have a duration of 10 years. In the conversion, I made it so that lower numbers of nixies could cast geas, but the duration also was lowered at the reduced number of casters.]]
Last edited by Hugin on Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:17 am, edited 4 times in total.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:04 am

What is an in-aided nixie’s spellcasting level?
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:41 pm

Coronoides wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:04 am
What is an in-aided nixie’s spellcasting level?
:facepalm: Ya, I have to re-word all that. It is supposed to be the spell level, not caster level, that can be increased.

The statblock builder program wasn't cooperating with me to get the geas note placed where I wanted it. It got late and I gave up.

In the RC, nixies have the ability to cast a special charm if at least 10 of them cast it collectively. The effect lasts for a year if successful. I was very pleasantly surprised to see that a 5E geas spell cast as a level 7 or 8 spell has a duration of a year. (Normally, geas is a level 5 spell and lasts for a month). If geas is cast as a level 9 spell, it lasts indefinitely until magically countered.

I was attempting to 5Eify the 10x nixie's ability to cast a 1-year long charm using a geas cast at a higher higher level - with the exact higher level being dependent on how many nixie's are "simul-casting" the spell.

So while I think the approach will work fantastically, I have to mop up the mess I made of it. ;)

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:42 pm

I've updated the Nixie with better wording and mechanic.

It isn't quite up to the standards that I'd like it to be but it is much improved IMO.

I'm still working away at the nuckalvee. Boy, that's a nasty beast in Basic D&D.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:16 pm

NUCKALAVEE
Large monstrosity, chaotic evil
Armour Class 13
Hit Points 119 (14d10 + 42)
Speed 30 ft., swim 50 ft.
STR|DEX|CON|INT|WIS|CHA
17 (+3)|16 (+3)|17 (+3)|9 (-1)|12 (+1)|12 (+1)

Saving Throws Con +6, Cha +4
Skills Perception +4, Survival +4, Intimidation +4
Damage Immunities fire, poison
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses passive Perception 14
Languages Deep Speech, Sylvan
Challenge 7 (2,900 XP)

Amphibious. The nuckalavee can breath air and water.

Fear Aura. Any creature hostile to the nuckalavee that starts its turn within 50 feet of the nuckalavee must make a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw, unless the nuckalavee is incapacitated. On a failed save, the creature drops whatever it is holding and is frightened as by a fear spell. If a creature's saving throw is successful, the creature is immune to the nuckalavee's Fear Aura for the next 24 hours.

Pernicious Presence. Every normal insect and creature with 2 hit points or less that is within 120 feet of the nuckalavee is reduced to 0 hit points. A creature that has greater than 2 hit points will be affected by a slight, sickly naucious feeling, but has no other negative effect.

Vulnerable to Running Water. Running water is difficult terrain for a nuckalavee and immediately gains one level of exhaustion when it enters running water. The nuckalavee takes 20 acid damage and gains one level of exhaustion if it ends its turn in running water.

Regeneration. The nuckalavee regains 10 hit points at the start of its turn if it has at least 1 hit point and isn't in running water.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The nuckalavee attacks with two claw attacks. When its cold breath is available, it can use the breath in place of a claw attack.

Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 16 (3d8 + 3) slashing damage, The target must succeed on a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or become poisoned. While poisoned in this way, the target can't regain hit points, and it takes 7 (2d6) poison damage at the start of each of its turns. The poisoned target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Cold Breath (Recharge 5-6). The nuckalavee exhales an icy blast in a 60-foot line that is 5 feet wide. Each creature in that line must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw, taking 52 (8d12) cold damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:40 am

APPARITION
Medium undead (phantom), neutral evil
Armour Class 19 (ethereal armor)
Hit Points 82 (11d8 + 33)
Speed 50 ft.
STR|DEX|CON|INT|WIS|CHA
11 (+0)|17 (+3)|16 (+3)|11 (+0)|16 (+3)|23 (+6)

Saving Throws Int +3, Cha +9
Damage Immunities cold, necrotic, poison, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 13
Languages any languages it knew in life
Challenge 7 (2,900 XP)

Sunlight Weakness. While in sunlight, the apparition has disadvantage on attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws.

Ethereal Sight. The apparition can see 60 feet into the Ethereal Plane when it is on the Material Plane, and vice versa.

Turning Defiance. The apparition has advantage on saving throws against effects that turn undead.

Frightening Visage. Each non-undead creature within 60 feet of the apparition that can see it must succeed on a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw or be frightened for one minute. If the save fails by 5 or more, the target is also paralyzed. A paralyzed target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the paralyzed condition on itself on a success. A frightened target that is not paralyzed can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the frightened condition on itself on a success. If the creature's saving throw is successful, the creature is immune to the apparition's Frightening Visage for the next 24 hours.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. The apparition makes two claw attacks.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) slashing damage plus 6 (1d12) necrotic damage.

Etherealness. The apparition enters the Material Plane from the Ethereal Plane, or vice versa. It is visible on the Material Plane while it is in the Border Ethereal, and vise versa. It can't affect or be affected by anything on the other plane, except for its Entrancing Mist.

Entrancing Mist (Recharge after a Short Rest). The apparition creates a swirling semi-transparent mist that is 10 feet high, 40 feet wide, and centered on itself. Any creature that enters the area, or that starts its turn in the area, must make a DC 17 Wisdom save or be charmed for 1 minute. While charmed in this way, the creature is incapacitated and has a speed of 0. The creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. This is often the apparition's first attack while still on the Ethereal Plane. Entrancing Mist affects creatures on the Material Plane even when the apparition creates it while on the Ethereal Plane. It travels with the apparition for 1 minute, or until the apparition is destroyed or turned.

Last edited by Hugin on Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:59 am

SHADE
Hit Points 78 (12d8 + 24)
Speed 40 ft.
STR|DEX|CON|INT|WIS|CHA
12 (+1)|17 (+3)|15 (+2)|10 (+0)|18 (+4)|25 (+7)

Saving Throws Int +3, Cha +10
Skills Stealth +6
Damage Immunities cold, necrotic, poison, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 14
Challenge 8 (3,900 XP)

Sunlight Weakness. While in sunlight, the shade has disadvantage on attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws.

Ethereal Sight. The shade can see 60 feet into the Ethereal Plane when it is on the Material Plane, and vice versa.

Turning Defiance. The shade has advantage on saving throws against effects that turn undead.

Frightening Visage. Each non-undead creature within 60 feet of the shade that can see it must succeed on a DC 16 Wisdom saving throw or be frightened for one minute. If the save fails by 5 or more, the target is also paralyzed. A paralyzed target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the paralyzed condition on itself on a success. A frightened target that is not paralyzed can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the frightened condition on itself on a success. If the creature's saving throw is successful, the creature is immune to the shade's Frightening Visage for the next 24 hours.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. The shade makes two dagger attacks.

Dagger. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 5 (1d4 + 3) piercing damage plus 13 (2d12) necrotic damage.

Etherealness. The shade enters the Material Plane from the Ethereal Plane, or vice versa. It is visible on the Material Plane while it is in the Border Ethereal, and vise versa. It can't affect or be affected by anything on the other plane, except for its Frightening Visage and Frightening Stare. When the shade uses Etherealness to enter the Material Plane, it may then use its Frightening Stare as a bonus action.

Frightening Stare. The shade focuses it gaze on one creature that is within 30 feet of it, and that is frightened by the shade's Frightening Visage. The target takes 51 (8d10 + 7) psychic damage.

Last edited by Hugin on Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:31 am

Want to hear something funny? RPGGeek.com (via Boardgamegeek.com), the site where I have the statblock images stored, has done some re-vamping of their site, and all of the images I had linked to (except the most recent ones) are now all broken. :facepalm:

It's all good though folks - I *will* get them fixed. All the images are still there, they just have different addresses now.

And in more positive news, I have done a few more conversions (these phantoms were really fun to work on) and also cleaned up the checklist/index in the first post :!:

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:58 am

All the statblock images are back!

I thought I'd just get it started but ended up just plowing through them all. Toasted my evening but it's done.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:33 pm

Hugin wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:58 am

I thought I'd just get it started but ended up just plowing through them all. Toasted my evening but it's done.
thank you much appreciated.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:30 am

VISION
Quite different from other phantoms, a vision always inhabits a specific area no greater than 500 square feet. The vision is of several humanoids, rather than a single one, and most have weapons and armor of various types. A vision is actually a collection of lost souls.

VISION
Hit Points 90 (12d8 + 36)
Speed 40 ft.
STR|DEX|CON|INT|WIS|CHA
17 (+3)|12 (+1)|16 (+3)|9 (-1)|13 (+1)|26 (+8)

Saving Throws Con +6, Cha +11
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 11
Challenge 8 (3,900 XP)

Collective Soul. The vision is a coalition of several spirits that participated in a shared, violent fate. The vision manifests itself as several individual spirits that share a unified life force, and no individual spirit has hit points. When the vision has been reduced to 0 hit points, all of the individual spirits in the vision are destroyed.

Confined. The vision is confined to an area that contains the remains of its mortal bodies, and that is no greater than 500 square feet. The manifested spirits of the vision can move around within this area but may not leave it. If successfully turned, the vision disappears for 1d6 hours before returning.

Sunlight Weakness. While in sunlight, the vision has disadvantage on attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws.

Ethereal Sight. The vision can see 60 feet into the Ethereal Plane when it is on the Material Plane, and vice versa.

Turning Defiance. The vision has advantage on saving throws against effects that turn undead.

Howling Cry. After any non-undead creatures enter the area in which the vision is confined, it begins to emit despairing mouns and cries. Any non-undead creature that is within 90 feet of the vision and that can hear the cries must make a DC 16 Intelligence saving throw. A target succeeds automatically if it is immune to being charmed. On a failed save, the target is incapacitated as it is filled with sorrow and sympathy for the spirits in the vision, believing that all is hopeless, and collapse to the ground weeping for the spirits. A target may repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a target's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the target is immune to the vision's Howling Cry for the next 24 hours. The vision continually uses its Howling Cry as long as a non-undead creature occupies its confined area.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. The vision makes seven melee attacks; one for each spirit in the vision.

Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) slashing damage.

Spear. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage.

Battleaxe. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) slashing damage.

Etherealness. The vision enters the Material Plane from the Ethereal Plane, or vice versa. It is visible on the Material Plane while it is in the Border Ethereal, and vise versa. It can't affect or be affected by anything on the other plane, except for its Howling Cry.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:48 am

Coronoides wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:33 pm
Hugin wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:58 am

thank you much appreciated.
I really appreciate the appreciation, Coronoides :!:

Next will be the Phoenix(es?)!

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:59 am

All these 'ghost' type undead with different challenge ratings are super useful for my Green Isles British Fairy Tales campaign.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:08 pm

Coronoides wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:59 am
All these 'ghost' type undead with different challenge ratings are super useful for my Green Isles British Fairy Tales campaign.
I haven't used any of these phantoms back when I ran BECMI D&D (that I can remember anyway), but I really can't wait to use them in my 5E. And it shouldn't be too long either as the PCs are currently level 6.

I noticed an interesting little quirk though - while there are around 30 undead creatures in the 5E MM, there is a gap in the CRs where they jump from CR 5 all the way to CR 13 with nothing in between. That's a big gap! So these phantoms that come in at CRs 7 & 8 (based on their power levels in the RC) help fill in that space.

Also, and for extra good news for you, I'll soon be getting to the Spirits (Druj, Odic, & Revenant) and they are around CRs 10 - 12.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:22 am

PHOENIX

The phoenix is a native of the Elemental Plane of Fire, and has the appearance of a large red-orange eagle surrounded by intense flames. On the Material Plane it is quite rare, but may be found in any climate. It is never hostile unless attacked, and is never found underground.

Immortal Flames. Except for a wish, there is no known way to permanently destroy a phoenix, and its method of reproduction is unknown.

PHOENIX, LESSER
Medium elemental, neutral
Armour Class 15 (natural armour)
Hit Points 95 (10d8 + 50)
Speed 30 ft., fly 70 ft.
STR|DEX|CON|INT|WIS|CHA
13 (+1)|16 (+3)|20 (+5)|6 (-2)|9 (-1)|18 (+4)

Saving Throws Con +8
Damage Immunities fire, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Condition Immunities charmed
Senses passive Perception 9
Languages -----
Challenge 8 (3,900 XP)

Phoenix Flames. The flames of the phoenix are a special fire that is unique to the phoenix. A creature's Resistance to Fire has no effect against the phoenix's fire damage. A creature with Immunity to Fire is not immune to the phoenix's fire damage, and instead halves the fire damage dealt by the phoenix.

Fire Aura. At the start of each of the phoenix's turns, each creature within 10 feet of it takes 10 (3d6) fire damage, and flammable objects within 10 feet that aren't being worn or carried ignite. A creature that touches the phoenix or hits it with a melee attack within 5 feet of it takes 16 (3d10) fire damage.

Death Burst. When the phoenix is reduced to 0 hit points, it explodes in a burst of phoenix flame. Each creature within 20 feet of it must make a DC 16 Constitution saving throw, taking 16 (3d10) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The phoenix reappears from its ashes at the start of its next turn, at full hit points, and will immediately flee from its attackers.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. The phoenix makes three attacks: two with its talons and one with its bite.

Talons. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) piercing damage.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 10 (2d8 + 1) piercing damage.

Last edited by Hugin on Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:31 am

PHOENIX

The phoenix is a native of the Elemental Plane of Fire, and has the appearance of a large red-orange eagle surrounded by intense flames. On the Material Plane it is quite rare, but may be found in any climate. It is never hostile unless attacked, and is never found underground.

Immortal Flames. Except for a wish, there is no known way to permanently destroy a phoenix, and its method of reproduction is unknown.

PHOENIX, GREATER
Large elemental, neutral
Armour Class 18 (natural armour)
Hit Points 168 (16d10 + 80)
Speed 40 ft., fly 80 ft.
STR|DEX|CON|INT|WIS|CHA
17 (+3)|18 (+4)|21 (+5)|6 (-2)|10 (+0)|20 (+5)

Saving Throws Con +10
Damage Immunities fire, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Condition Immunities charmed
Senses passive Perception 10
Languages -----
Challenge 13 (10,000 XP)

Phoenix Flames. The flames of the phoenix are a special fire that is unique to the phoenix. A creature's Resistance to Fire has no effect against the phoenix's fire damage. A creature with Immunity to Fire is not immune to the phoenix's fire damage, and instead halves the fire damage dealt by the phoenix.

Fire Aura. At the start of each of the phoenix's turns, each creature within 20 feet of it takes 21 (6d6) fire damage, and flammable objects within 10 feet that aren't being worn or carried ignite. A creature that touches the phoenix or hits it with a melee attack within 5 feet of it takes 33 (6d10) fire damage.

Death Burst. When the phoenix is reduced to 0 hit points, it explodes in a burst of phoenix flame. Each creature within 20 feet of it must make a DC 18 Constitution saving throw, taking 33 (6d10) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The phoenix reappears from its ashes at the start of its next turn, at full hit points, and will immediately flee from its attackers.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. The phoenix makes three attacks: two with its talons and one with its bite.

Talons. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 13 (2d8 + 4) piercing damage.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 21 (4d8 + 3) piercing damage.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:53 am

PLASM

A plasm looks like a human- or giant sized skeleton made of elemental and ethereal matter. There are four types of plasm; one for each of elements of air, earth, fire, and water. A plasm is made of a combination of elemental material and ectoplasm (solid ether). It cannot safely exist on any plane except the Ethereal, or interplaner portal or wormhole, where it may sometimes be encountered.

PLASM, LESSER
Medium elemental, chaotic neutral
Armour Class 16 (ethereal armor)
Hit Points 39 (6d8 + 12)
Speed 30 ft.
STR|DEX|CON|INT|WIS|CHA
17 (+3)|14 (+2)|15 (+2)|8 (-1)|11 (+0)|11 (+0)

Damage Resistances force
Damage Immunities poison, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses passive Perception 10
Languages -----
Challenge 3 (700 XP)

Ethereal Dependant. At the start of each of the plasm's turns, if it is not on the Ethereal Plane or in an inter-planar portal, it takes 4 (1d8) force damage and its hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the force damage taken.

Elemental Absorption. Whenever the plasm is subjected to the following damage - thunder damage against an air plasm; bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage from a non-magical weapon against an earth plasm; fire damage against a fire plasm; acid damage against a water plasm - it takes no damage. Instead, its hit point maximum is increased, and hit points are regained, by an amount equal to the damage.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. The plasm makes two claw attacks.

Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range ft., one target.
Hit: 10 (2d6 + 3) slashing damage.

Ether-Elemental Cloud (Recharge 6). The plasm creates a 15-foot-radius sphere of ether-elemental cloud based on its type, centered on the plasm. Each creature within the cloud takes 13 (3d8) force damage, including the plasm, although it has resistance to force damage. Afterward, when a creature enters the cloud's area for the first time on a turn or start's its turn there, that creature must make a DC 13 Constitution saving throw, taking 9 (2d8) force damage on a failed save, or half that amount if successful. The cloud is composed of the element matching the plasm's type and lasts for 3 rounds. The cloud does not move and its area is lightly obscured. The plasm normally reserves this action for when it wants to flee.

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”