Converting Rules Cyclopedia Monsters to 5E

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Converting Rules Cyclopedia Monsters to 5E

Post by Havard » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:20 am

Giant slugs make for great beasts of burden too! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:28 am

Very true, f you can get to stop spitting acid. Hopefully they aren't as ill tempered as camels!

Also added the variant info for the use of giant snails.

Next to slither their way into the conversion thread will be the 6 varieties of snakes! With some more spitting, too.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:00 am

Giant slugs also useful in my current Underdark game.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:51 pm

Coronoides wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:00 am
Giant slugs also useful in my current Underdark game.
Indeed! One can never have enough to dwell in the lands below!

pawsplay
Ogre

Post by pawsplay » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:48 pm

Hugin wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:50 am
REVENER
This monster appears as a human figure with skeletal hands and a skull head with flowing, white hair. A revener prowls dark, underground caverns and dust-filled tombs and crypts.
Like you, I found the revener a little awkward and I changed it more than other monsters. I kept the multiple ways of removing senses, but I added a claws attack and generally rationalized its stats.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:45 am

Yep, that revener was a tough one to convert. The version I posted was my attempt to keep as close to the RC incarnation as possible while fitting cleaning within the 5E design structure and philosophy.

I could be tweeked in a number of ways if those two principles were relaxed. I'd love to hear about how the creature was used in people's games (in any version)!

Dragon Turtle
Initiate

Post by Dragon Turtle » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:06 am

Stickied. Hope you are cool with this Hugin. :)

-Dragon Turtle
This is Havard's Alternate Account
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group so that you can stay in touch.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Junior admin at The Piazza. My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:20 pm

Ya, I can live with that.

:ugeek:

(It's all the more reason to keep at, despite hitting the busiest time of the year for me.)

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:54 am

enderxenocide0 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2016 6:37 pm
Dread Delgath wrote:
Hugin wrote:Indeed, enderxenocide0. There are a few things that interact with a creature's type, but not a lot.

The main thing is that nothing "breaks" or is "disrupted" and there is no recalculating to do when changing monster type. Besides what you mentioned, there could be some other qualities to adjust, like condition immunities for instance.
This is one of the modular things in 5e that I DO like. :cool:

...and it follows the guideline philosophy from the very beginning, and that is if you don't like something - change it.

It is nice to find that this is easily done in 5e, considering all the problems I had with adjusting to the change to 3.0 all those years ago. :oops: LOL!
Right?! I can crank out a new monster in 5E fairly quickly compared to 3.X and can tweak things that I like or don't like without having to overhaul the concept.
This conversation has me nodding as I read it, but its funny how long it took me to just accept that it wasn't so difficult anymore. I wrote tons of monsters for 3e and I kept looking for some obscure or hidden bonus when I started with the 5e monsters. I keep asking myself, "this is all I have to do?"
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:18 pm

Seethyr wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:54 am
enderxenocide0 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2016 6:37 pm
Dread Delgath wrote:
Hugin wrote:Indeed, enderxenocide0. There are a few things that interact with a creature's type, but not a lot.

The main thing is that nothing "breaks" or is "disrupted" and there is no recalculating to do when changing monster type. Besides what you mentioned, there could be some other qualities to adjust, like condition immunities for instance.
This is one of the modular things in 5e that I DO like. :cool:

...and it follows the guideline philosophy from the very beginning, and that is if you don't like something - change it.

It is nice to find that this is easily done in 5e, considering all the problems I had with adjusting to the change to 3.0 all those years ago. :oops: LOL!
Right?! I can crank out a new monster in 5E fairly quickly compared to 3.X and can tweak things that I like or don't like without having to overhaul the concept.
This conversation has me nodding as I read it, but its funny how long it took me to just accept that it wasn't so difficult anymore. I wrote tons of monsters for 3e and I kept looking for some obscure or hidden bonus when I started with the 5e monsters. I keep asking myself, "this is all I have to do?"
I find that creating monsters (for any edition) is still easy, but assigning a CR to it for 5th ed is still a nebulous challenge for me. :oops: Its best if I re-skin an existing monster and change things from there, adjusting the CR up or down according to the things I've changed or switched out for other similar, but not exactly the same power level.
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:31 am

Dread Delgath wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:18 pm
I find that creating monsters (for any edition) is still easy, but assigning a CR to it for 5th ed is still a nebulous challenge for me. :oops: Its best if I re-skin an existing monster and change things from there, adjusting the CR up or down according to the things I've changed or switched out for other similar, but not exactly the same power level.
And here's my confession - I use excel to do the math to give me the CR, which I then adjust according to the guidelines in the DMG in just a few cases. But to be able to "create" a monster by eyeballing it against an existing monster to get its CR in 5E is actually reasonably easy.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:43 am

Hugin wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:31 am
Dread Delgath wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:18 pm
And here's my confession - I use excel to do the math to give me the CR, which I then adjust according to the guidelines in the DMG in just a few cases. But to be able to "create" a monster by eyeballing it against an existing monster to get its CR in 5E is actually reasonably easy.
Those modifiers at the end for special abilities in the DMG really muck things up. Newly invented special abilities for new monsters don’t always fit the templates well. Yeah, a lot of eyeballing there, but it certainly does beat the insane crunch of 3.5.
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

genghisdon
Bugbear

Post by genghisdon » Thu May 02, 2019 12:40 am

wonderful project!

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Thu May 02, 2019 1:16 am

genghisdon wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:40 am
wonderful project!
Thank you very much! It has stalled for a bit while I went through my busiest time of the year at the office (tax season), but the deadline has just passed (Apr 30th) and life can get back to normal for me.

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”