Converting Rules Cyclopedia Monsters to 5E

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Hugin
Green Dragon

Re: Converting Rules Cyclopedia Monsters to 5E

Post by Hugin » Sat May 28, 2016 4:05 am

Before I continue on to the next creature, I realized that I forgot to do the step *before* Step 1, and that is, create the monster concept. As the DMG puts it, "Once you have a monster concept in mind, follow the steps below".

I remember watching a video before 5E was released and they were still in the playtesting phase, Mike Mearls and/or Jeremy Crawford (can't recall which) talked about how they would write down the monster's concept before working on the stats. This translated over into the Monster Manual where you see the monster's description and then a few key characteristics. Many of these characteristics are then reflected mechanically within the stats, in some way, shape, or form.

In doing these conversions, I realize that the monster concept has already been done by the original creator. However, just like Mike and Jeremy had to do in making all these 5E monsters, I need to examine the info we have on each creature and come up with a concept to be created in 5E. I think a discussion about the concept should happen first before that stats are created; the concept should drive that stat block creation.

It's too late for the actaeon, although I have written up a brief description in the format of the MM. I'll add it to the post containing the actaeon's stat block if anyone's interested.

The next creature is the adaptor, which I've created a while back (I'm several creatures ahead right now), but I believe it is worth it to go back and begin with the concept talk. I have already started going back and revisiting what I have done based on creating the concept.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Sat May 28, 2016 11:27 pm

Alright, here is the concept for our next creature, the adaptor. First is a list of characteristics for the creature. From that I created the description as it might appear if it were in the MM. This is conceptual level only at this point, not the mechanical representation of it; that comes later.

Anyway, have a look and post any comments or suggestions.

Found in the RC page 157.
1200 XP in the RC = ~ CR 6 in 5E
19 minus AC 10 in RC suggests an AC 9 for 5E
Characteristics
  • native to all planes of existence
    very intelligent, ancient race; gathering knowledge
    natural polymorphs
    enter and leave other planes at will
    adaptation to become immune to magical damage types
    skilled at swordplay
    possessors of fantastic devices
Adaptor
Adaptors are a highly intelligent and ancient race that roam anywhere and everywhere. They have no known home plane since they are native to all planes of existence. Likewise, they have no known natural form or appearance, and instead take any form of roughly human size. The culture of the adaptors centres around the gathering of knowledge from all corners of existence. This knowledge is far beyond the scope that any human sage has dared to dream of, and never will learn from an adaptor, for their philosophy dictates that such sharing only be done between themselves.

Planar Masters. Since adpators are native to every plane, it is no surprise that they have the ability to travel between the various planes with ease. With a simple determination of their will they can exit one plane and enter another. Perhaps even more impressive is their ability to endure the hazardous environments that many planes contain. Travelling can be a painful venture for the adaptor, however, but once exposed to a harmful environment or magical effect, they instantly adapt their physical structure to become immune it. This adaptation is accompanied by a change in the adaptor's colour and lasts as long as it is exposed to the harmful effect.

Shape Masters. Adaptors are natural shapeshifters and do not alter their form through magic or magic-like processes. This means that magical detection or dispelling has no effect on them whatsoever. They can change their form to any creature that is about the size of a human, blend in with whichever civilization they desire, and observe their culture. Adaptors quickly grow weary of their current form and study subjects, rarely staying at one location for longer than 3 days, before moving on to learn more.

Sword Masters. The sword is an adaptor's most trusted friend. For all the weapons and devices that this race of beings has been exposed to, it is the sword that is their weapon of choice. As a race of collectors of knowledge, they have spent untold centuries mastering the use of the sword from untold civilizations. They have also picked up a few fantastic items along their travels that they can use to help protect themselves. These devices would confuse and baffle the sages, scholars, and tinkerers among the humans.

My initial comments.
Ya, I went with a "Masters" theme for all their characteristics (hmm... I really don't like that name for those; how about...) their trademark qualities (or simply, "trademarks" for short). They seem like masters of many things to me. I think I covered all the bases in there.

The suggested AC based on that in the RC seems really low, especially for what could be a CR 6 creature, so we'll have to play around with that. I don't plan on fixing it with armour but rather some other methods.

haazeven
Bugbear

Post by haazeven » Sun May 29, 2016 1:46 am

Interesting exercise ^^ I wouldn't focus too much on the AC at that point, unless it is really part of the monster identity (like for oozes, or small/fast/hard to hit creatures)
My Slarecian Vault contributions - 5E resources for the Scarred Lands

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Sun May 29, 2016 4:41 am

Thanks! I only include AC and XP as it appears in the RC to give me a sense of the power of the creature and defensiveness in 5E terms. They may incorporate into the concept points, and they may not. But those notes are merely the starting point.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun May 29, 2016 10:42 am

Hugin wrote:Thanks! I only include AC and XP as it appears in the RC to give me a sense of the power of the creature and defensiveness in 5E terms. They may incorporate into the concept points, and they may not. But those notes are merely the starting point.
What if you let the adaptor keep that low AC, but become resistant to any damage type dealt to it the next round? (Hit it with a sword, it's then resistant to slashing damage. To be really mean challenge your players, you might have it keep that resistance, rather than having it change when taking a second type of damage. You hit it with a flaming sword? Great, now it's resistant to slashing and fire!) :twisted:
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Sun May 29, 2016 2:48 pm

RobJN wrote:
Hugin wrote:Thanks! I only include AC and XP as it appears in the RC to give me a sense of the power of the creature and defensiveness in 5E terms. They may incorporate into the concept points, and they may not. But those notes are merely the starting point.
What if you let the adaptor keep that low AC, but become resistant to any damage type dealt to it the next round? (Hit it with a sword, it's then resistant to slashing damage. To be really mean challenge your players, you might have it keep that resistance, rather than having it change when taking a second type of damage. You hit it with a flaming sword? Great, now it's resistant to slashing and fire!) :twisted:
I made a monster that did this, but only on death. Then it resurrected. It was essentially Doomsday.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Sun May 29, 2016 6:37 pm

RobJN wrote:What if you let the adaptor keep that low AC, but become resistant to any damage type dealt to it the next round? (Hit it with a sword, it's then resistant to slashing damage. To be really mean challenge your players, you might have it keep that resistance, rather than having it change when taking a second type of damage. You hit it with a flaming sword? Great, now it's resistant to slashing and fire!) :twisted:
Ah, see this what I was hoping that providing the concept first would produce - discussion on how to translate it into mechanics!

I love the idea of it having a low AC without armour. It's basically what all the other characters have to deal with, and they deal with it by wearing armour or utilizing magic. The RC took the same stance by giving it a low AC, suggesting to us that they don't usually wear armour, but there are a number of things they can do to help them stay alive.

The obvious one is their ability to adapt to magical attack and become immune to that damage type, not merely resistant. We'll have to recreate that too, but I don't think I'd want to extend that to the physical damages of bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing (although, perhaps there are 'elder adaptors' that can do that! As resistant though; immunity would be immensely powerful). However, if attacked by a magical weapon, would the bonuses from the magic be ineffective on the next attack and be treated as merely a mundane weapon? Hmm... I didn't think about that!

I also gave them some extra defensive capabilities based on their "skilled at swordplay" trademark. It's currently a "Parry" reaction that can increase AC against the triggering attack.

A third thing they can do is step into another plane and then back again, effectively becoming a teleport-like effect. This will have to be handled properly so it doesn't create an untouchable opponent that keeps on attacking. I'm sure the adaptor would also use this ability as an escape plan if needed.

Lastly, I'd want that tidbit about "fantastic devices" to be utilized to give them surprising abilities that help to protect themselves. This is the type of stuff that could really make them fun.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Tue May 31, 2016 4:03 am

ADAPTOR

Adaptors are a highly intelligent and ancient race that roam anywhere and everywhere. They have no known home plane since they are native to all planes of existence. Likewise, they have no known natural form or appearance, and instead take any form of roughly human size. The culture of the adaptors centres around the gathering of knowledge from all corners of existence. This knowledge is far beyond the scope that any human sage has dared to dream of, and never will learn from an adaptor, for their philosophy dictates that such sharing only be done between themselves.

Planar Masters. Since adpators are native to every plane, it is no surprise that they have the ability to travel between the various planes with ease. With a simple determination of their will they can exit one plane and enter another. Perhaps even more impressive is their ability to endure the hazardous environments that many planes contain. Traveling can be a painful venture for the adaptor, however, once exposed to a harmful environment or magical effect, they instantly adapt their physical structure to become immune it. This adaptation is accompanied by a change in the adaptor's colour and lasts as long as it is exposed to the harmful effect.

Shape Masters. Adaptors are natural shapeshifters and do not alter their form through magic or magic-like processes. This means that magical detection or dispelling has no effect on them whatsoever. They can change their form to any creature that is about the size of a human, blend in with whichever civilization they desire, and observe their culture. Adaptors quickly grow weary of their current form and study subjects, rarely staying at one location for longer than 3 days, before moving on to learn more.

Sword Masters. The sword is an adaptor's most trusted friend. For all the weapons and devices that this race of beings has been exposed to, it is the sword that is their weapon of choice. As a race of collectors of knowledge, they have spent untold centuries mastering the use of the sword from untold civilizations. They have also picked up a few fantastic items along their travels that they can use to help protect themselves. These devices would confuse and baffle the sages, scholars, and tinkerers among the humans.

ADAPTOR
Medium aberration (shapechanger), any alignment
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Armour Class 11
Hit Points 93 (11d8 + 44)
Speed 30 ft.
STR|DEX|CON|INT|WIS|CHA
14 (+2)|12 (+1)|19 (+4)|17 (+3)|14 (+2)|16 (+3)

Saving Throws Con +6, Int +5, Cha +5
Skills Arcana +5, History +5, Investigation +5, Perception +4
Senses passive Perception 14
Languages any
Challenge 4 (1,100 XP)

Shapechanger. As an action, the adaptor can take on another humanoid form as an action. It cannot use this ability to turn into a duplicate of a specific individual. This is a natural (nonmagical) ability.

"Magic Adaptation. The adaptor has the ability to adapt by altering their physical structure to survive in any environment. Once exposed to any type of damage that is not bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing, and taking any applicable damage, the adaptor then becomes immune to any further damage from that type. The damage immunity lasts for up to one hour after its last exposure to the damage type.
This immunity extends even to generic magic, such as the damage bonus from a magical weapon and its bonus to hit. In other words, once an adaptor takes damage from a magical weapon, treat that weapon as a normal, nonmagical version of it. Each weapon is also treated as separate damage types for the purposes of the adaptor's Magic Adaptation trait. There is no limit to the number of different immunities the adaptor can have active at any given time."

Planewalker. The adaptor can, as a bonus action, enter and leave other planes at will.

Swordmaster. The adaptor adds its proficiency bonus twice when it makes a melee attack, and deals an extra 5 (1d10) piercing damage when it hits with a melee attack (included in the attacks).

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The adaptor makes two longsword attacks.

Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 6 (1d8 + 2) slashing damage plus 5 (1d10) piercing damage, or 7 (1d10 + 2) slashing damage plus 5 (1d10) piercing damage if used with two hands.

Fantastic Device. The adaptor may have a device from its far planar travels that it can use to help protect itself. The exact device and description would be created by the DM and would be incomprehensible to the PCs in general. The effect of the device can vary greatly, but may be similar to a magic spell (either defensive or offensive), cause a condition on the target(s) (save DC 14 using the most appropriate ability), or even be like a monster's ability from the Monster Manual.
REACTIONS
Parry. The adaptor adds 3 to its AC against one melee attack that would hit it. To do so, the adaptor must see the attacker and be wielding a melee weapon.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Edit Notes: Adjusted the adaptor down from a CR 6 creature to CR 4 to conform to my conversion guidelines. HD and hps lowered, INT and CHA lowered slightly, multiattack reduced from 3 attacks to 2, and Fantastic Device save DC lowered from 15 to 14.
- improved Swordmaster (double proficiency) and Longsword (to show both one-handed and two-handed damage)
Last edited by Hugin on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:38 am, edited 7 times in total.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:13 pm

AERIAL SERVANT (HAOOU)
On the Prime Plane, the aerial servant appears as an eerie, menacing, roiling fog in a vaguely humanoid shape. It is believed that their evil and cold natural causes the fog to form in their presence, and if not for that, they would be invisible like an invisible stalker. They are extremely fast and often surprise their target. On their home Plane of Air they are known as "haoou" and have an evil empire there, reigning in places void of other beings. The helions and djinn are natural enemies of the haoou.

Summoned Servants. Aerial servants are summoned to the Prime Material Plane by clerics using the Planar Ally spell. They will generally not fight for the summoner and so are often used to retrieve items or individuals and return them to the cleric. Their speed is among the fastest known to humans, outside of magical, instantaneous travel. Combined with an exceptional capability to hold on to their quarry, an aerial servant is the quintessential retriever. However, if the haoou ever encounter a human on the plane of Air, they are hateful enemies.

AERIAL SERVANT (HAOOU)
Medium elemental, any evil
Armour Class 16
Hit Points 127 (17d8 + 51)
Speed 60 ft., fly 150 ft. (hover)
STR|DEX|CON|INT|WIS|CHA
18 (+4)|22 (+6)|17 (+3)|12 (+1)|9 (-1)|10 (+0)

Saving Throws Dex +9, Con +6
Skills Acrobatics +9, Stealth +9
Damage Resistances lightning, thunder, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities exhaustion, grappled, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, prone, restrained, unconscious
Senses passive Perception 9
Languages Auran, understands Common but cannot speak
Challenge 8 (3,900 XP)

Air Form. The aerial servant can enter a hostile creature's space and stop there. It can move through a space as narrow as 1 inch wide without squeezing.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The aerial servant makes three slam attacks.

Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 14 (3d6 + 4) bludgeoning damage.

Seize. The aerial servant is often summoned and ordered to seize and retrieve an object or prisoner. When attempting to seize a creature, it uses Dexterity (Acrobatics) to attempt a Grapple (escape DC 22). Creatures grappled by the aerial servant have disadvantage on melee attacks against it.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Edit Notes: Reduced the CR from 13 to CR 8, lowered HD and hps, lowered some stat reductions, dropped Str saving throw proficiency, recalculated attacks, damage, and Seize save DC.
Last edited by Hugin on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:39 am, edited 6 times in total.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:37 am

GIANT ANT
Medium beast, unaligned
Armour Class 16 (natural armour)
Hit Points 52 (8d8 + 16)
Speed 40 ft., climb 30 ft.
STR|DEX|CON|INT|WIS|CHA
15 (+2)|10 (+0)|15 (+2)|1 (-5)|7 (-2)|3 (-4)

Senses tremorsense 60 ft., passive Perception 8
Languages -----
Challenge 1 (200 XP)

Grappler. The ant has advantage on attack rolls against any creature grappled by it.

Death Grip. The ant will not voluntarily release a grappled creature while the target is still alive. Even when the ant reaches 0 hit points, it maintains any grapple it had at that point. A creature still grappled by an ant after the ant reaches 0 hit points, or otherwise unable to take actions, must still make a successful escape (DC 10) roll to escape the ant's mandibles.

Fearless. Once engaged in combat, the ant will fight to the death. It will even try to cross flames to reach their opponents.

ACTIONS
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 9 (2d6 + 2) bludgeoning damage, and the target is grappled (escape DC 12).

Last edited by Hugin on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:40 am, edited 5 times in total.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:05 am

SNOW APE

Found mainly in forests of northern climates and high altitude mountain ranges, the snow ape is a squat, baboon-like creature protected from the cold weather by near-white coats of fur. They are intelligent beasts; able to make and use simple weapons, but more impressively, they are able to communicate with each other through a complicated sign language and system of stacking stones or snowballs.
Nearly anything is a potential meal for them, being omnivores, but they really enjoy giant insects and red meat (which includes humans and demi-humans). They are certainly intelligent enough to realize when a single creature, or a group of creatures, is too large for them to attack, and they generally avoid settlements altogether. It is not unheard of, however, for people to be snatched away by snow apes from the outskirts of villages during shortages of food.

Clever Ambushers. Using the natural camouflage provided by their hides, the snow ape can lie in wait for an unsuspecting victim to pass close by, before springing upon them. They often do this next to trails that they find, leaving messages for other snow apes using rocks or snowballs to tell them know what creatures use the trail and the size of the groups. Peoples in the north have learned difficult lessons about finding curious pilings of snow just off their trails. The coordination demonstrated by groups of snow apes is often the last surprise their quarry experience.

Huggers & Hitters. The snow ape employs a very intimate method of combat. While capable of ranged attacks, such as throwing rocks, they prefer to start their hunt as close as possible the their prey by ambushing them. Then, they attempt to grab them with their strong grip and pull them into a crushing squeeze with their arm. All the while beating on their prey with a club or fist.

SNOW APE
Medium beast, unaligned
Armour Class 13 (natural armour)
Hit Points 26 (4d8 + 8)
Speed 30 ft.
STR|DEX|CON|INT|WIS|CHA
17 (+3)|14 (+2)|15 (+2)|7 (-2)|12 (+1)|7 (-2)

Skills Athletics +5, Perception +3
Senses passive Perception 13
Languages -----
Challenge 1 (200 XP)

Snow Camouflage. The snow ape has advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made to hide in snowy terrain.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The snow ape makes two melee attacks; one with its club and one with its fist. When it has a creature grappled, it can use its crushing hug attack in place of its fist.

Greatclub. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) bludgeoning damage.

Fist. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) bludgeoning damage. Instead of dealing damage, the snow ape can grapple the target (escape DC 15) provided the target is Medium or smaller.

Crushing Hug. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature.
Hit: 10 (2d6 + 3) bludgeoning damage.

Rock. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 25/50 ft., one target.
Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) bludgeoning damage.

Last edited by Hugin on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:41 am, edited 6 times in total.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:57 am

WHITE APE
Medium beast, unaligned
Hit Points 37 (5d8 + 15)
Speed 40 ft., climb 30 ft.
STR|DEX|CON|INT|WIS|CHA
16 (+3)|14 (+2)|16 (+3)|5 (-3)|13 (+1)|11 (+0)

Skills Athletics +5, Intimidation +2
Senses darkvision 40 ft., passive Perception 11
Languages -----
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
ACTIONS
Multiattack. The white ape makes two claw attacks.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft.,
Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) slashing damage.

Rock. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 25/50 ft., one target.
Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) bludgeoning damage.

Last edited by Hugin on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:06 am

The last few have just been some beasts that weren't difficult at all, but I tried to have some fun with them; the giant ant's grapple and death grip, where you still have to get yourself out of it's clamped mandibles even after its dead, the snow ape and its grab and smack fighting style, and the white ape, where the most creative thing I managed to do was give it darkvision (being a nocturnal cave-dweller).

The next one on the list would be the Archon. After a lot of playing around and researching, I came to two conclusions. One - I'm not ready to do a creature of this high a CR yet. Well, not ready to do it justice at least. Two - the Solar in the Monster Manual is a really good stand-in for the Archon. I may come back to this one again later. Who knows. But for now I'm passing.

By the way, I am deliberately posting these with several days in between even though I have a number of them ready. I feel like it gives me time when things get really busy and I can't work on them for a number of days, or a week, or whatever.

The 'slow' pace of posting has also given me considerable time to work on analysing the relationship between Basic D&D's XP values, the "Balancing Encounters" found system in the RC of using Total Party Level versus Individual Adjusted Hit Dice of the monsters, and 5E's CR system.

It was a very interesting exercise but I've come to conclusions that are satisfactory enough to me. One of things that made it interesting to me was being able see what creatures became more powerful, or less powerful, between Basic and 5E. For instance, Dragons are definitely more powerful now, at least at the upper end, but so are the Giants. Some things that got significantly weaker are the Cockatrice, Sea Hag, Rust Monster, and the Triceratops.

Details of my results will follow but I'm out of time; got to go to bed as soon as I post the Athach!

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:16 am

ATHACH

Hideous giants standing 18'-20' tall, and possessing a temper to match, athachs are perhaps the most easily identified among the various giant races. Their most noticeable malformity is the third arm projecting from the centre of their chest. The extent of their organization is that they live in small families sheltered in caves; beating on one another when not otherwise occupied with hunting or beating something else. An athach's most common tactic in combat is to beat its opposition with tree trunks, three to be precise, as well as biting it. Their gnarled and tusk-like teeth are covered in a putrid and potent saliva that can cause a bitten creature to become utterly helpless.

All that Glitters. Athachs have an intense love of gems and jewellery. Such items are essentially the only things to which they claim as possessions. Everything else is common to the family. The closest thing to an athach economy would be when two come together and trade their "things". Offering a satisfactory gift of gems or jewellery to an athach can persuade them to not beat on you. This can be particularly useful to know since humans are considered a good enough meat to eat.

ATHACH
Huge giant, chaotic neutral
Armour Class 15 (natural armour)
Hit Points 161 (14d12 + 70)
Speed 40 ft.
STR|DEX|CON|INT|WIS|CHA
24 (+7)|13 (+1)|21 (+5)|6 (-2)|8 (-1)|6 (-2)

Saving Throws Str +11, Dex +5, Con +9
Skills Perception +3
Senses passive Perception 13
Languages Giant
Challenge 10 (5,900 XP)

Jeweler's Eye. The athach has advantage on Intelligence (Investigation) checks when examining gems and jewelry.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The athach makes three greatclub attacks or two rock attacks; one of those may be substitued with one bite attack.

Greatclub. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target.
Hit: 20 (3d8 + 7) bludgeoning damage.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 12 (1d10 + 7) piercing damage, . If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 17 Constitution saving throw or become posioned for 1 hour. If the saving throw fails by 5 or more, the target is incapacitated for the same duration.

Rock. Ranged Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, range 50/200 ft., one target.
Hit: 23 (3d10 + 7) bludgeoning damage.

Last edited by Hugin on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:17 am

Alright, so here are the results of examining Basic D&D's XP values along with the balancing encounters system found in the RC (page 101), and the 5th edition D&D's CR system.

The first thing I wanted to do was to see how monsters in Basic D&D faired using the encounter balancing mechanism. This mechanism could be used to create a CR value that works similar to that in 5E. It essentially takes the HD value and adjusts that if any hps are added and if any power bonuses (asterisks) are present.

Once that was looked at, I also referenced XP values to see how well the Basic monster's "CR" value mapped to it. What I found was that there was too much CR range for a given XP value. In other words, it appeared as though there could be a significant difficulty range when looking at monsters of equal XP values. Long story short - I tweaked the encounter balancing mechanism to give more precise results, making the new CR values map closer to the XP values.

[If anyone is interested, my new "Individual Adjusted Hit Dice" for Basic D&D monsters formula is: HD + (additional hps x 0.2) + (power bonuses x HD x 0.25). To get the CR value, divide the adjusted HD by 0.70, which is a "challenging" encounter, and divide by 4 for the standard 4 PC party. For example, the Basilisk's HD is 6+1**, and its IAHD is 6+(1*0.2)+(2*6*0.25) or 6+0.2+3=9.2. Taking 9.2/0.7/4 gives us a CR of 3.3. The chart I have created shows that the Basilisk's 950 XP value translates to a 5E CR of 3. So in the Basilisk's case its power level is about the same between Basic and 5E D&D.]

Here's the resulting chart to use a Basic D&D monster's XP to find its suggested 5E CR:
[b]XP[/b]|[b]CR[/b] 5|⅛ 10|¼ 16|½ 35|1 100|2 425|3 1,000|4 1,750|5 2,300|6 2,900|7 3,500|8 4,100|9 5,000|10 6,000|11 7,000|12 8,000|13 9,250|14 10,500|15 11,750|16 13,000|17 14,500|18 16,000|19 18,000|20 +2,000|+1

So far I have been using another chart that I found online but will be using this one going forward. The only creatures that would end up being different are the Adaptor (currently at CR 6 while this chart suggests it should only be CR 4), the Aerial Servant (CR 13 vs CR 8), and the Giant Ant (CR 1 vs CR 2). I believe that I will go back and adjust these creatures.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:22 am

That looks like a really useful chart. Thanks! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:33 pm

Havard wrote:That looks like a really useful chart. Thanks! :)

-Havard
Thanks, Havard. While it was created to help me in converting Basic D&D monster to 5E stats, it could be used for Basic D&D games as a quick guide for picking monsters for encounters. I'd probably stress quick and approximate since it isn't thoroughly tested in that system, but still hopefully useful.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:42 am

Quick update: I edited the adaptor down from CR 6 to CR 4 to match up with the conversion guide I have created for myself. The aerial servant has also been downgraded from CR 13 to CR 8, again to match up the conversion guide, and made much more sense to me as I was redoing it. I'm quite happy with these changes.

There were two other creatures that didn't match up with the new guide, and those are the giant ant and the athach. The giant ant is currently at CR 1 when the guide suggests CR 2. I played around with it quite a bit before coming to the conclusion that CR 1 just feels 'right' for the giant ant, and then to my forgetful mind's surprise, I noticed that in my design notes I actually wrote that even the old guide suggested a CR of 2 but I still made it CR 1 anyway.

The athach is a little bit of a different situation. Under the previous guide that I was using, the suggested CR was 11. Whether the old guide or my new one, they are just guides, and I wanted to see how this related to the true giant races. In the RC, the athach was around the same power level as the cloud giant, and I felt it would be best to maintain that relative power level. The cloud giant is CR 9 in 5E and so I made the athach CR 10. I don't see any reason to change that.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:53 pm

ROCK BABOON
Rock baboons are a larger and more intelligent variety of baboon. While they are omnivores, they have a definite preference for meat, and have learned how to use clubs of wood or bone. Their social structure consists of packs of up to 30 members which are lead by the dominate alpha male. Rock baboons possess a basic capability to communicate simple warnings and needs to each other.

Fierce Intimidation. Rock baboons are cautious to engage in a fight, but their notion of cautious is loud, frantic, and ferocious. They usually do their best to intimidate an adversary into backing down through displays of noise; screaming, beating their chest, ground, and plants, and by throwing whatever they can grab into the air. It is a common sight since rock baboons have vicious tempers. If the display of intimidation is unsuccessful then a fight is a possibility.

ROCK BABOON
Medium beast, unaligned
Armour Class 12
Hit Points 16 (3d8 + 3)
Speed 30 ft., climb 30 ft.
STR|DEX|CON|INT|WIS|CHA
13 (+1)|14 (+2)|13 (+1)|5 (-3)|12 (+1)|7 (-2)

Skills Intimidation +0
Senses passive Perception 11
Languages -----
Challenge ½ (100 XP)

Brute. A club attack deals one extra die of damage when the rock baboon hits with it (included in the attack).

Pack Tactics. The baboon has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of the baboon's allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The rock baboon makes two attacks: one with its club and one with its bite.

Club. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 6 (2d4 + 1) bludgeoning damage.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 3 (1d4 + 1) piercing damage.

ROCK BABOON ALPHA
Medium beast, unaligned
Armour Class 12 (natural armour)
Hit Points 39 (6d8 + 12)
Speed 30 ft., climb 30 ft.
STR|DEX|CON|INT|WIS|CHA
16 (+3)|13 (+1)|14 (+2)|5 (-3)|12 (+1)|10 (+0)

Skills Intimidation +2
Senses passive Perception 11
Languages -----
Challenge 1 (200 XP)

Brute. A club attack deals one extra die of damage when the alpha rock baboon hits with it (included in the attack).

Pack Tactics. The baboon has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of the baboon's allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The alpha rock baboon makes two attacks: one with its club and one with its bite.

Greatclub. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 10 (2d6 + 3) bludgeoning damage.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage.

Last edited by Hugin on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:42 pm

Before I post the next creature I wanted to point out that I have edited the original post of this thread to include a checklist of the creatures "done" and "to do". I'll keep this updated as I go.

I'm currently working on the Devilfish and is by far the most involved, simply because of all the variety. I'm still trying to determine the best way to present them. But I'm still enjoying the process and that's the most important aspect, for me anyway.

You may have noticed that I did an Alpha Rock Baboon in addition to the normal one, and there wasn't an actual alpha version in the RC. It was merely mentioned in the description and thought that was all the excuse I needed to make one. You know; variety, spice, life, etc.

Up next is the Bears. Black, Brown/Grizzly, and Polar are already done in the 5E MM so no need to do them. The RC also had a Cave Bear so that one is the only one I needed to do. As an observation, it appears to me that normal animals in 5E are not as powerful (relatively speaking) as they are the RC, so in general I have taken that pattern and reflected it in my conversions.

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:47 pm

Small suggestion: perhaps edit the checklist in the initial post to link to the post containing the creature you've statted.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:00 pm

CAVE BEAR
The cave bear is an ancient and rare species of bear, reaching 15' tall when standing on their hind legs. They are usually found only in very remote regions, especially in areas seemingly untouched by time. Possessing a patient determination, and a good sense of smell, a hungry cave bear will follow a blood trail until it has eaten . Unfortunately, they have poor eyesight which can hinder them sometimes. The cave bear has a preference for freshly killed red meat. When having to provide its own meal, the cave bear tries to pin their prey to the ground, employing as much of their weight as they can while biting. As their name suggests, they usually live in caves.

CAVE BEAR
Large beast, unaligned
Hit Points 76 (9d10 + 27)
Speed 30 ft.
STR|DEX|CON|INT|WIS|CHA
21 (+5)|10 (+0)|16 (+3)|2 (-4)|11 (+0)|7 (-2)

Senses passive Perception 10
Languages -----
Challenge 3 (700 XP)

Crushing Pin. The bear has advantage on attack rolls against any creature grappled by it.

Keen Smell. The bear has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell and disadvantage when relying on sight.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The bear makes two attacks: one with its bite and one with its claws.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 10 (1d10 + 5) piercing damage.

Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 12 (2d6 + 5) slashing damage, Instead of dealing damage, the cave bear can grapple the target (escape DC 15).

Last edited by Hugin on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:02 pm

enderxenocide0 wrote:Small suggestion: perhaps edit the checklist in the initial post to link to the post containing the creature you've statted.
That did cross my mind but I don't know how to do it. I will once I figure it out. :oops:

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:26 pm

Hugin wrote:
enderxenocide0 wrote:Small suggestion: perhaps edit the checklist in the initial post to link to the post containing the creature you've statted.
That did cross my mind but I don't know how to do it. I will once I figure it out. :oops:
No worries :)

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:23 pm

Hugin wrote:
That did cross my mind but I don't know how to do it. I will once I figure it out.
Copy the link location from the header above the post you're interested in. For example, to link to the Cave Bear that you recently created, copy the link from the title "Re: Converting Rules Cyclopedia Monsters to 5E" just above the timestamp "Postby Hugin » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:00 pm" (your time zone may vary). You should end up with the following link, which you can then use to update the original post: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=15774&p=180444#p180448
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”