What is the WotC policy on 5e D&D books that fall apart?

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

What is the WotC policy on 5e D&D books that fall apart?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:42 am

I've just seen another person complaining about a 5th Edition book that feel apart (who didn't know what to do).

Does anyone know if there is any sort of official WotC response to this, that tells people who to contact to get a replacement?

I think it would be useful to get the appropriate link/process stickied at the top of the 5e forum, so that we can help the minority of people who have bought a book out of this dodgy batch.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Re: What is the WotC policy on 5e D&D books that fall apart?

Post by Ashtagon » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:58 am

Unless there is demonstrably a production fault, I suspect the default answer is "it wore out; buy a new one".
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:24 am

Ashtagon wrote:Unless there is demonstrably a production fault, I suspect the default answer is "it wore out; buy a new one".
There is a known faulty batch that is falling apart.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:29 am

I found a topic, from 2014, called Issues with PHB binding-Updated with WotC response! at GitP. It looks like you need to contact WotC Customer Support, if you think you have one of the dodgy books.
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:29 am

Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:32 am

Thanks Rob! That So Your D&D Fifth Edition Player’s Handbook Has Fallen Apart… article is very useful! Here is the start of that article:
Jay Africa at D&D Adventurers League wrote:It’s no big secret that the first print run of Dungeons & Dragons’ fifth edition Player’s Handbook had a batch of books that, unfortunately, tended to fall apart at their spines (see a couple of examples here and here). D&D publisher Wizards of the Coast has changed printers since then, and instances of PHs coming apart should decrease as players get them replaced. However, this topic still comes up from time to time as players, to this day, find their early-print-run PHs’ pages coming loose of their bindings. If any of you experience this, or know anyone who does, here are some courses of action you can take.
Jay suggests six options:
  • OPTION 1: Return to Wizards of the Coast - You need your proof of purchase for this (otherwise try option 2)
  • OPTION 2: Contact Wizards Customer Support - This seems to be the best option to me, as you know in advance if WotC will replace your book.
  • OPTION 3: Exchange in Store - Jay suggests that some stores have been "authorised" to exchange dodgy books. (You may also be protected by local consumer laws, that force a retailer to give you a refund on defective goods.)
  • OPTION 4: Spiral or Comb Bind - This is obviously one to consider, if you are unable to get WotC or your gaming store to replace the book, for any reason. (Personally, I think this would eventually result in the pages ripping at the top and bottom of the book, but it all depends on how much wear and tear you put on your books.)
  • OPTION 5: DIY Repair with Bookbinding Glue - This is another one to consider if WotC and your gaming store won't help you. (Look for some bookbinding tutorials, if you are considering this. Post them here, if you find a good one.)
  • OPTION 6: Use a Three-Ring Binder - This is a third option for anyone that WotC and the gaming stores will not help. (Just like spiral binding, I think you could get trouble with pages ripping out. I would strongly suggest investing in transparent hole reinforcers and putting them either side of the pages, when you "convert" a 5e book to this format, so that you can reduce the risk of any pages getting ripped out. You would need six hole reinforces to do this per page, so multiply that by the number of pages in the book to work out how many you need.)
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:45 am

Big Mac wrote:
Thanks Rob! That's very useful!
Yep, nice and informative :)

Basically:
1. Return it to Wizards for an exchange
2. Contact Wizards Customer Support and make sure you can exhcnage it before you just ship it to 'em
3. Exchange it locally in-store
4. Embrace the spine fail-age and rebind it
5. Re-bind it yourself
6. Buy stock in a sheet protector company and stick the pages in a 3-ring binder.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

maddog
Frost Giant

Post by maddog » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:44 pm

RobJN wrote: 4. Embrace the spine fail-age and rebind it
I did this with my Pathfinder CRs that fell apart too soon. I've found that it's just easier to use now. :)
--Ray.
---
Hey! I just became a frost giant!
My Moderator voice is in Green.
Moderator of Dragonlance forum.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:03 pm

The first run of D&D 5e PHBs had some major issues with falling apart. If you contact customer service, you can send your defective one in and get a new one.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:26 pm

"They just don't make 'em like they used to!"

My First Edition PHB, DMG, MM & FF are all still in prime condition. However, TSR used a well-known printing house (IIRC) - Random House. I don't know if there are printing houses that still hold to this kind of binding quality.

FWIW, the "1.5" books I have, especially Oriental Adventures, fell apart within a year. The others, Dungeoneer's/Wilderness Survival Guides, and MMII haven't yet succumbed to spine/binding fails, but, they are the yellow spined hardbounds, so hopefully they last another 35 years. I know my 1.0 books will!

Luckily my 5e books haven't fallen apart yet, and truth be told, they have seen more use in this last year than my 1st edition books have in the last 25.
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:35 am

seen online wrote:For anybody still needing to get a replacement because their binding came unglued, here's the direct link to the necessary page. Phone number works in US _and_ Canada, but they will still get you to email them photos of the damage and the page where the printing/edition is listed. I supplied a photo of my receipt as well, but I'm not certain that's necessary. You'll need to register with WotC in order to use their email system. For overseas customers, email them to find out what the procedures are for replacement. My replacement took rather longer to arrive than it should have, because it wasn't mailed out when it was meant to, but it still came in the six week window, it was free, and I got to keep my old one the whole time. I'm going to try gorilla glue to put the page chunks back in first, but it'll be a table copy anyway.

http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers ... a_id/2365/

S'mon
Orc

Post by S'mon » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:02 am

WoTC overseas policy is that you send photos of your fallen-apart books & they ship you new books, for free. They sent me new PHB & MM last year after I sent the pics. I didn't have to return ANYTHING. :cool:

AFAIK they do this for US customers too.

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”