Revised Ranger?

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Revised Ranger?

Post by Havard » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:50 pm

I heard something about a revised version of the Ranger Class. Anyone know what that is about? Are other classes getting revisions too?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Re: Revised Ranger?

Post by Zeromaru X » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:07 pm

Are you talking about the Unearthed Arcana article? AFAIK they have done it only with the Ranger, who really needed a revision (the class was nearly unplayable if you go by competitive standards).

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:08 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:Are you talking about the Unearthed Arcana article? AFAIK they have done it only with the Ranger, who really needed a revision (the class was nearly unplayable if you go by competitive standards).
Ah yes thanks!

I have a guy playing a Ranger in my campaign right now and he has been complaining a bit about how other characters felt more powerful than him. What are people's experiences with this new version of the Ranger? What are the main changes?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

barrataria
Hobgoblin

Post by barrataria » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:22 pm

Havard wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:08 pm
Zeromaru X wrote:Are you talking about the Unearthed Arcana article? AFAIK they have done it only with the Ranger, who really needed a revision (the class was nearly unplayable if you go by competitive standards).
Ah yes thanks!

I have a guy playing a Ranger in my campaign right now and he has been complaining a bit about how other characters felt more powerful than him. What are people's experiences with this new version of the Ranger? What are the main changes?

-Havard
I think since this thread there's been another stab or two taken at a "revised ranger". I'm in the process of sorting out skills/backgrounds/secret skills (i.e. "tool proficiencies") and I noticed that skill monkey-wise the ranger seems to miss out, in that between skills and backgrounds barbarians and even fighters and thieves can basically do all the things that used to make rangers tough/special. It's nice that people can build a variety of woodland warriors but not so nice that the original woodland warrior then becomes more or less surplussage.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has been tinkering with the ranger or replaced it with one of the more recent iterations.
Companion Expansion and adventure modules for basic and expert games: free for download and always in print (on demand): http://www.barrataria.com

CommanderCrud
Hobgoblin

Post by CommanderCrud » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:11 pm

As a player I'm totally fine with the original ranger. As a DM, I've had players of both the original and revised variety. The revised is definitely beefed up. Probably a bit too much, but it depends a lot on the player. That class, probably more than any other, depends on the player to take full advantage of it.

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”