5E Player Races from Official Sources

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: 5E Player Races from Official Sources

Post by Havard » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:33 pm

Thanks Tim!

I have included the Plane Shift races to the OP!

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Very useful list. Thank you!

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:19 pm

Havard, don't forget the races from the other Plane Shift articles, which I posted a list for a while back.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

barrataria
Hobgoblin

Post by barrataria » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:09 am

Yet again I thank Piazzans for another useful thread.

What do people think of the Tortle? I never used them for B/X but I'm putting together something with a lot of marine races so I might think about them.

Also, I've seen complaints elsewhere about warforged being overpowered/munchkin bait, how has that gone in your games? I sat out 4E so have no real frame of reference there.

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:21 pm

As an update, here are some of the new (sub)races officially introduced in MTF and WGE:

Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
Variant Tieflings: Lords of the Nine edition
Elf subraces: Eladrin, sea elves, shadar-kai
Dwarf subraces: Duergar
Gith: Githyanki, githzerai
Gnome subrace: Deep (Svifneblin)

Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron
Changeling
Kalashtar
Shifter
Warforged
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:54 pm

Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron is official?

I've been out of touch recently, so maybe this is not yet released?
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

XstarkillerX
Broccoli Golem

Post by XstarkillerX » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:03 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:54 pm

It's unofficially official. On the blurb over at Dungeon Master's Guild it says there is playlets material on it that will be updated based on feedback.
Life won't wait for us, and love won't heal itself. Let's find our way. Descendents, "Without Love"

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:13 pm

barrataria wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:09 am
Yet again I thank Piazzans for another useful thread.

What do people think of the Tortle? I never used them for B/X but I'm putting together something with a lot of marine races so I might think about them.

Also, I've seen complaints elsewhere about warforged being overpowered/munchkin bait, how has that gone in your games? I sat out 4E so have no real frame of reference there.
I think Tortles are silly, and wouldn't offer them as a character choice in my campaign, but I know at least one player who would play it, just to test drive it around the block. I do not see them as viable as the core & traditional character races, and after a few levels, they'll fall behind. That's not a bad thing, as some character choices were always meant to be more playable than others.

My opinion is not based on "character balance". I don't think that term should exist. My opinion is solely based on how fun it would be to play, and how much mileage can a player derive out of it in a long-running campaign.

Perhaps they would be desirable if ALL players at the table played a tortle, in a limited campaign. I remember seeing an adventure synopsis featuring 3-4 young tortle characters and a dwarven or duergar mentor character.

I've not ever read up on, nor seriously considered the warforged for exactly the same reasons, although I suspect they are far more overpowered than the traditional core character choices.

I subscribe to several D&D tumblr accounts, and while I find many interesting classes, items and monsters, I am always wary of new character subclasses and races simply because there are a lot of overpowered, munchkin stuff out there.

Unfortunately (for those of us who strongly disagree with munchkinism), WotC sometimes lets a munchkin class or race through. I perceive Warforged as one of these without ever reading up on it. (I could be wrong though). ;)

Most tumblr magic items are outrageously overpowered, but they are far more easier to tone down, and I've found many useful and low powered items that I do like, but I'm going far off topic at this point, and will give the platform back to the subject matter at hand. ;)
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:14 pm

XstarkillerX wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:03 pm
Dread Delgath wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:54 pm

It's unofficially official. On the blurb over at Dungeon Master's Guild it says there is playlets material on it that will be updated based on feedback.
Oh, that's a shame that its on DM's Guild, because that means I'll never see it until the vetting process is done, and made officially official.

barrataria
Hobgoblin

Post by barrataria » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:34 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:13 pm
I've not ever read up on, nor seriously considered the warforged for exactly the same reasons, although I suspect they are far more overpowered than the traditional core character choices.

I subscribe to several D&D tumblr accounts, and while I find many interesting classes, items and monsters, I am always wary of new character subclasses and races simply because there are a lot of overpowered, munchkin stuff out there.

Unfortunately (for those of us who strongly disagree with munchkinism), WotC sometimes lets a munchkin class or race through. I perceive Warforged as one of these without ever reading up on it. (I could be wrong though). ;)
That was my impression too, with all the immunities and such, and as I say as a I searched around the term often came up in complaints about min-maxy munchkining or DMs complaining about overpowered characters. I take all with grains of salt, but when that's almost all you see it seems something might be off....

I'll probably re-skin mountain dwarves anyway for the same purpose since (1) they look kind of overpowered to me already (a bias I've had in most other editions too) and (2) the golem race won't commonly be found near where dwarves are. Thanks for the reply.

barrataria
Hobgoblin

Post by barrataria » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:48 pm

I've looked back at this thread about a billion times in the last few weeks as I've designed my world... should it be a sticky maybe? The way they scatter info across books makes it pretty frustrating to remember where this or that race is detailed...

Dragon Turtle
Initiate

Post by Dragon Turtle » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:18 pm

barrataria wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:48 pm
I've looked back at this thread about a billion times in the last few weeks as I've designed my world... should it be a sticky maybe? The way they scatter info across books makes it pretty frustrating to remember where this or that race is detailed...
Good idea. Stickied.

-DT
This is Havard's Alternate Account
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group so that you can stay in touch.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Junior admin at The Piazza. My moderator voice is
GREEN.

barrataria
Hobgoblin

Post by barrataria » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:12 pm

Thanks not-Havard! :P

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:31 pm

barrataria wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:12 pm
Thanks not-Havard! :P
LOL :)

Dragon Turtle is me, but with more power ;)

Anyway, glad you find this thread useful. Of course everyone who has posted are helping :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”