[MtG] A D&D adventure set in Magic: The Gathering?

"There are some who call me...Tim!" Discuss Magic: The Gathering campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here
sam
Gnoll

[MtG] A D&D adventure set in Magic: The Gathering?

Post by sam » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:27 pm

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.ph ... hIMbWJ96Uk

So I think MAGIC and D&D are getting closer,maybe they'll even introduce MAGIC's cosmology later in the new Manual of the Planes? (Dungeons: The Gathering?)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [MtG] A D&D adventure set in Magic: The Gathering?

Post by Big Mac » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:11 pm

sam wrote:So I think MAGIC and D&D are getting closer,maybe they'll even introduce MAGIC's cosmology later in the new Manual of the Planes? (Dungeons: The Gathering?)
Interesting. So the front cover says this:
X Marks the Spot front cover wrote:Magic The Gathering

Ixalan
X Marks the Spot
A PlaneShift: Ixalan Adventure for
Dungeons & Dragons
The back cover says this:
X Marks the Spot back cover wrote:X Marks the Spot

A prison escape for an unlikely group of heroes turns into a race for an ancient relic sought by the Legion of Dusk. Can you brave the unknown and capture the treasure before the enemy does? This Dungeons & Dragons adventure is set on the plane of Ixalan from Magic: The Gathering. It uses 4th-level characters provided with the adventure.

For more D&D adventures in Magic's multiverse and beyond, visit dmsguild.com.
I've done a search on DMs Guild and there are not (currently) any RPG products up there for Magic (although they do have comics).

Kat Kruger Tweeted about X Marks the Spot, back on the 17th
Kat Kruger on Twitter wrote:The #mtg #dnd Plane Shift: Ixalan adventure I co-wrote with @christulach was given out as a print exclusive at #PAXUnplugged!
She also said this:
Kat Kruger on Twitter wrote:
Anne Thornton on Twitter wrote: still wish I'd snagged a digital copy of the innistrad adventure I played with you guys. All my extra life monies went to our local D&D Team, so missed out on that WotC MtG team goodie. Congrats on the new one!
Thank you! That was SUCH a fun experience. It looks like this one is going to make its way to DMs Guild though!
So X Marks the Spot is not the first Magic The Gathering adventure! :shock:

I wonder what other adventure was already been written for Innistrad and if there are any other adventures for the other PlaneShift settings.

James Wyatt said on Twitter that the sourcebook for Ixalan is coming out at the start of next year:
James Wyatt on Twitter wrote:I normally wouldn’t say anything this early, but I guess it’s probably safe to announce that Plane Shift: Ixalan is coming in January. #mtgxln #dnd #wotcstaff
I wonder if that is going to be the same time that X Marks the Spot goes on sale. (And I wonder if Kat Kruger's Innistrad adventure will also go up on DMs Guild.)

If they make these things into Print on Demand products, I'm going to be really tempted to buy them.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:32 pm

I had seen one of these before, could have been the Innistrad PDF.

These worlds would be great as quick settings & adventures for plane-hopping PCs.
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:21 pm

All I can say is...It's about flipping time!

Seriously, there have been rumors of a Magic D&D setting since WotC bought D&D. Why it has taken this long (and this many editions!) is beyond me.

Looking forward to it.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:59 am

I toyed with M:tG briefly & occasionally since 1994, but it wasn't until a few years ago when I started picking up the Fat-Packs for various M:tG sets that I noticed they included Player's Guides - which described the cards in that set, and gave some really good setting background on occasion.

I have these player's guides (in no particular order) : Journey Into Nyx, Born of the Gods, Dragon's Maze, Fate Reforged, Dragons of Tarkir, Battle for Zendikar, and Oath of the Gatewatch.

15-20 years ago, many M:tG novels were published, and may still be an ongoing series, but of that I have no interest or information. I have about 20 of them, but have yet to read a single one. (They were given to me and came highly recommended, but they were linked in a loose series, so I got lost in the first one I picked up, and never finished it...)

The richness of possibilities that exist in the worlds of M:tG are staggering, but nearly every single player I've ever met & played with totally ignores the setting info. They throw the books away, in fact. They're just in it to win it, and don't care at all for the art or the setting.

The first actual M:tG/D&D crossover came out last year, if memory serves me. I know I downloaded it, but damned if I can find it now. :roll:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:26 am

sam wrote:http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.ph ... hIMbWJ96Uk

So I think MAGIC and D&D are getting closer,maybe they'll even introduce MAGIC's cosmology later in the new Manual of the Planes? (Dungeons: The Gathering?)
It better be an optional alternative to D&D’s traditional cosmology and not a replacement! So many angry Planescape fans, especially since many old guard players hate MtG.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:13 pm

IIRC, they settled the cosmology debate with the 5e DMG. No cosmology is "true", as mortals cannot understand the nature of the multiverse. So, the cosmologies we know are theories and such from scholars of diverse worlds. They even re-confirmed that in a tweet. So, the Magic cosmology in D&D would just another cosmological model, alongside the Greath Wheel and the World Axis, but none of them would be an absolute truth (as the revised 5e Great Wheel hints).

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:17 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:IIRC, they settled the cosmology debate with the 5e DMG. No cosmology is "true", as mortals cannot understand the nature of the multiverse. So, the cosmologies we know are theories and such from scholars of diverse worlds. They even re-confirmed that in a tweet. So, the Magic cosmology in D&D would just another cosmological model, alongside the Greath Wheel and the World Axis, but none of them would be an absolute truth (as the revised 5e Great Wheel hints).
I'm just glad we don't have to worry about Earth-616 and Earth-1610, or all the positive and negative parallel Earths in Marvel & DC comics in D&D cosmology. :lol:

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:35 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:IIRC, they settled the cosmology debate with the 5e DMG. No cosmology is "true", as mortals cannot understand the nature of the multiverse. So, the cosmologies we know are theories and such from scholars of diverse worlds. They even re-confirmed that in a tweet. So, the Magic cosmology in D&D would just another cosmological model, alongside the Greath Wheel and the World Axis, but none of them would be an absolute truth (as the revised 5e Great Wheel hints).
That aside what material can the company afford to support? Can they support the planes of MtG AND Planescape?

THe idea is older than that in the planescape boxed set there is a bit about how scholars differ. In my 90’s Planescape campaign they visited a wizard in the Elemental Plane of Earth who had his home plane as the ‘centre and foundation’ of the multiverse.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

AxesnOrcs
Gnoll

Post by AxesnOrcs » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:31 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:All I can say is...It's about flipping time!

Seriously, there have been rumors of a Magic D&D setting since WotC bought D&D. Why it has taken this long (and this many editions!) is beyond me.

Looking forward to it.
It has been stated several times over the years why they did not wish to cross the streams. Forgive me if I don't have the sources as to why they felt it was a sound financial decision for two decades, but there is the concern that it would alienate various portions of the MTG base if things like beholders and illithids and the like showed up in black-bordered sets. The same logic is likely why Hasbro sold the rights to make an RPG for My Little Pony and hasn't done any kind of RPG for Transformers, or any of their other toy IPs.

While I won't discount the idea that WotC will eventually do full adventures or those large book sized adventure things for the MTG planes, I believe that they have been doing this as a why to tie in both IPs on thematics on whats being published on both sides of the house; Zendikar was originally the D&D style adventurers and ruin thing before things, Innistrad and Curse of Strahd, Kaladesh and the WotC supported Maze Aracana/Eberron livestream, Ixalan and Chult are both jungle and dinosaur settings.

I do hope that both the Plane Shift and the silver-bordered MTG cards that were available at HasCon this year, which included a D&D, Transformers, and Nerf tie-ins, does indicate a shift towards crossing the streams. Not that WotC/Hasbro not publishing an official Transformer game has stopped me from, or anyone, from making RPGs for it.

Here is a consolidated links page for the Plane Shift docs maintained by James Wyatt himself: http://www.aquela.com/plane-shift
https://axesnorcs.blogspot.com/ Semi-frequent posts on RPGs, focused on stuff I make for games I run.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:53 am

Seriously interested in seeing Ixalan getting a Plane Shift article, that'll give me more incentive to get better acquainted with the 5E rules and give it a go ... I'd love to GM a long running Ixalan campaign. Maybe here on the boards if anyone has an interest.

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:29 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:Seriously interested in seeing Ixalan getting a Plane Shift article, that'll give me more incentive to get better acquainted with the 5E rules and give it a go ... I'd love to GM a long running Ixalan campaign. Maybe here on the boards if anyone has an interest.
Not D&D related (yet), but have you seen the new Explorers of Ixalan boardgame? :shock:

It's a hex-tile placement based M:tG game, for 2-5 players, each taking command of a specific M:tG deck of cards based on creatures and themes. THIS is what I've always wanted to do with M:tG games, but could not find anyone else willing to help develop this cerebral experiment; everybody just wanted better decks with nary a theme or story involved. :P

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re:[MtG] A D&D adventure set in Magic: The Gathering?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:00 am

Dread Delgath wrote:Not D&D related (yet), but have you seen the new Explorers of Ixalan boardgame? :shock:

It's a hex-tile placement based M:tG game, for 2-5 players, each taking command of a specific M:tG deck of cards based on creatures and themes. THIS is what I've always wanted to do with M:tG games, but could not find anyone else willing to help develop this cerebral experiment; everybody just wanted better decks with nary a theme or story involved. :P
Settlers of Catan + Ixalan!! :o :cool: I had not heard of it until now, but I need it!

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:47 pm

I don't like what you like but I like that you like it!

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:29 pm

Coronoides wrote:I don't like what you like but I like that you like it!
:lol: LMAO!!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:21 am

X Marks The Spot A Plane Shift: Ixalan Adventure has been published on DMs Guild...and it's free! :cool:
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Re:[MtG] A D&D adventure set in Magic: The Gathering?

Post by timemrick » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:39 pm

Big Mac wrote:X Marks The Spot A Plane Shift: Ixalan Adventure has been published on DMs Guild...and it's free! :cool:
I've downloaded it, but only glanced at it briefly so far. I thing I've already noticed is that some of the pregenerated PCs use material from earlier Plane Shift articles: one is a vampire, another is a merfolk.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:01 am

timemrick wrote:
Big Mac wrote:X Marks The Spot A Plane Shift: Ixalan Adventure has been published on DMs Guild...and it's free! :cool:
I've downloaded it, but only glanced at it briefly so far. I thing I've already noticed is that some of the pregenerated PCs use material from earlier Plane Shift articles: one is a vampire, another is a merfolk.
Yes they are. There is a NG vampire (???) that can cast radiant clerical magic (!) a mer, and a full blooded orc. I wouldn't mind so much if I could see the rules for the vampire, so I could see how they handle the race. This character does not act like undead, none of the drawbacks of traditional vampires in regards to religion and operating in the daylight.

The merfolk is cool and sounds familiar, but I don't think I've seen any character rules.

Are the rules for vampires & merfolk in a Plane Shift article? Where can I find those?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:15 am

Dread Delgath wrote:
timemrick wrote:
Yes they are. There is a NG vampire (???) that can cast radiant clerical magic (!) a mer, and a full blooded orc. I wouldn't mind so much if I could see the rules for the vampire, so I could see how they handle the race. This character does not act like undead, none of the drawbacks of traditional vampires in regards to religion and operating in the daylight.

The merfolk is cool and sounds familiar, but I don't think I've seen any character rules.

Are the rules for vampires & merfolk in a Plane Shift article? Where can I find those?
Plane Shift: Ixalan is not being published until next year.

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:41 am

Big Mac wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:
timemrick wrote:

Plane Shift: Ixalan is not being published until next year.
That's not what I asked, Mac. I asked timemrick which of the earlier Plane Shift article has the vampire and merfolk. I know I'll have to re-read the ones I have, but it'd be cool to have a heads up. :cool:

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:47 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:The merfolk is cool and sounds familiar, but I don't think I've seen any character rules.

Rules for Vampires and Merfolk as playable races appear in Plane Shift: Zendikar.

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:14 pm

timemrick wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:The merfolk is cool and sounds familiar, but I don't think I've seen any character rules.

Rules for Vampires and Merfolk as playable races appear in Plane Shift: Zendikar.
:mrgreen: Thanks!

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:50 pm

Plane Shift: Ixalan is available now from the Wizards site. (I would have seen it sooner, but they post these to the M:tG pages, not the D&D pages.)

AxesnOrcs
Gnoll

Post by AxesnOrcs » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:27 am

I've heard through the twitters that there may be a D&D campaign set in the MTG settings. I am not sure if it will be podcast or twitch type.
https://axesnorcs.blogspot.com/ Semi-frequent posts on RPGs, focused on stuff I make for games I run.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”