[MtG] A D&D adventure set in Magic: The Gathering?

"There are some who call me...Tim!" Discuss Magic: The Gathering campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Re: [MtG] A D&D adventure set in Magic: The Gathering?

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:43 pm

timemrick wrote:Plane Shift: Ixalan is available now from the Wizards site. (I would have seen it sooner, but they post these to the M:tG pages, not the D&D pages.)
Thanks for posting the link. Something to read for tonight! :cool:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:46 pm

AxesnOrcs wrote:I've heard through the twitters that there may be a D&D campaign set in the MTG settings. I am not sure if it will be podcast or twitch type.
Well, not yet...

From the Plane Shift Ixalan pdf (linked above)...
The game mechanics in this supplement are usable in your D&D campaign but are not fully tempered by playtests and design iterations. For these reasons, material in this supplement is not legal in D&D Organized Play events.
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

AxesnOrcs
Gnoll

Post by AxesnOrcs » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:55 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
AxesnOrcs wrote:I've heard through the twitters that there may be a D&D campaign set in the MTG settings. I am not sure if it will be podcast or twitch type.
Well, not yet...

The game mechanics in this supplement are usable in your D&D campaign but are not fully tempered by playtests and design iterations. For these reasons, material in this supplement is not legal in D&D Organized Play events.

Organized play has nothing to do with random podcasts/streaming D&D shows. Like Maze Arcana and Critical Role both use materials that aren't legal for D&D Adventure League.
https://axesnorcs.blogspot.com/ Semi-frequent posts on RPGs, focused on stuff I make for games I run.

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:56 am

AxesnOrcs wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:
Well, not yet...

Organized play has nothing to do with random podcasts/streaming D&D shows. Like Maze Arcana and Critical Role both use materials that aren't legal for D&D Adventure League.
I am not familiar with those D&D media formats, nor am I interested in watching anyone not my group play, especially via TV or internet. Don't get me wrong, I hear this medium is catching a lot of traction among D&D players and gamers in general, but I couldn't get into watching poker on ESPN, either.

Or, the same way that I'm not interested in watching other players in my area play using house rules that may or may not break rules that I consider to be mandatory in maintaining campaign coherency. Now, I wouldn't mind watching a youtube channel if the players examined play-test rules in play to determine how they fit into the rest of the rules as written, or changes to said house rules to create the desired result. :mrgreen:

AxesnOrcs
Gnoll

Post by AxesnOrcs » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:01 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
AxesnOrcs wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:
Well, not yet...

I am not familiar with those D&D media formats, nor am I interested in watching anyone not my group play, especially via TV or internet. Don't get me wrong, I hear this medium is catching a lot of traction among D&D players and gamers in general, but I couldn't get into watching poker on ESPN, either.

Or, the same way that I'm not interested in watching other players in my area play using house rules that may or may not break rules that I consider to be mandatory in maintaining campaign coherency. Now, I wouldn't mind watching a youtube channel if the players examined play-test rules in play to determine how they fit into the rest of the rules as written, or changes to said house rules to create the desired result. :mrgreen:
At the risk of derailing this thread, my post was not a reply to yours. It was an addition to the thread as a whole.
https://axesnorcs.blogspot.com/ Semi-frequent posts on RPGs, focused on stuff I make for games I run.

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:09 pm

AxesnOrcs wrote:At the risk of derailing this thread, my post was not a reply to yours. It was an addition to the thread as a whole.
No worries. You posted a clarification, partially based on my misunderstanding of your post, and I just take it farther away from the subject. I am like the king of derailing threads. :oops:

I still haven't found the time to read Plane Shift - Ixalan, and I really want to! There is so much mineable content here for my homebrew campaign. I'm not keen on adding the vampire PC race as a common world race, but I could see them as explorers or conquerors from another plane - Demi-plane of Shadow seems like a good fit.

AxesnOrcs
Gnoll

Post by AxesnOrcs » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:06 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
AxesnOrcs wrote:At the risk of derailing this thread, my post was not a reply to yours. It was an addition to the thread as a whole.
No worries. You posted a clarification, partially based on my misunderstanding of your post, and I just take it farther away from the subject. I am like the king of derailing threads. :oops:

I still haven't found the time to read Plane Shift - Ixalan, and I really want to! There is so much mineable content here for my homebrew campaign. I'm not keen on adding the vampire PC race as a common world race, but I could see them as explorers or conquerors from another plane - Demi-plane of Shadow seems like a good fit.
Vampire as extra-planar invaders works with the way vampires as conquistadors are depicted in Ixalan.

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:26 pm

AxesnOrcs wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:

Vampire as extra-planar invaders works with the way vampires as conquistadors are depicted in Ixalan.
That was the correlation I was thinking of too. Also, had to do some page flipping, and realized that "Demi-plane of Shadow" is not the current form of parlance in 5e, I should've said that they'd be from the Shadowfell. :lol:

I have a non-canonical pdf called "Dark Arts Player's Companion" that focuses on a human/elf race from the Shadowfell (or a plane like it), plus a lot of other interesting things of a dark nature. I'm using some material in my campaign now, and it might work to segue the Zendikar/Ixalan vampires into the campaign through the Dark Arts book.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”