2018 WotC Line up

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

2018 WotC Line up

Post by Zeromaru X » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:00 am

Saw this, and wanted to share it here. For now, its just the codenames (if we want, we can try to decipher the hints; that would be fun).

D&D "Marathon" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966240
format: Hardcover
series: D&D Accessory
pages: 192
publisher: Wizards of the Coast
pub. date: 2018-05-29

D&D "Broadway" Dice
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966288
format: Game
pages: n/a
pub. date: 2018-09-18

D&D "Broadway" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966257
series: D&D Adventure
pages: 256

D&D "Catacomb" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966264
pub. date: 2018-11-20

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: 2018 WotC Line up

Post by Big Mac » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:30 am

Zeromaru X wrote:Saw this, and wanted to share it here. For now, its just the codenames (if we want, we can try to decipher the hints; that would be fun).
Looks like an online bookseller called McNally Robinson.com has pages up for these. I'm guessing that if people keep revisiting the pages, the real names will be revealed at some point. (Maybe the website will also leak the names of other 2018 D&D products...if there are going to be any.)
Zeromaru X wrote:D&D "Marathon" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966240
pages: 192
pub. date: 2018-05-29
D&D "Marathon" HC

We mostly use the name marathon for the 26 mile race. Could it be a book about physical skills, like endurance running?
Zeromaru X wrote:D&D "Broadway" Dice
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966288
format: Game
pages: n/a
D&D "Broadway" Dice

Why would one of the three products (and of the two adventures) need bespoke dice? :?
Zeromaru X wrote:D&D "Broadway" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966257
D&D "Broadway" HC

They have musicals on Broadway. Could it be an adventure for bards? ;)
Zeromaru X wrote:D&D "Catacomb" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966264
pub. date: 2018-11-20
D&D "Catacomb" HC

My guess is that this is something to do with the Underdark...or some sort of dungeon.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

zontoxira
Bugbear

Post by zontoxira » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:33 am

Well, "Dust" was Tomb of Annihilation, and "Midway" was Xanathar's Guide to Everything.
I literally don't know jack. But four publications in one year? Is this some kind of miracle?
Big Mac wrote:Why would one of the three products (and of the two adventures) need bespoke dice? :?
ToA had its own set of dice.
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:52 am

zontoxira wrote:Well, "Dust" was Tomb of Annihilation, and "Midway" was Xanathar's Guide to Everything.
I literally don't know jack. But four publications in one year? Is this some kind of miracle?
Big Mac wrote:Why would one of the three products (and of the two adventures) need bespoke dice? :?
ToA had its own set of dice.
Did they charge $25.95 for the Tomb of Annihilation dice? That's how much they want for the "Broadway" dice.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:52 pm

Interesting!

If Midway was Xanthar's Guide, then "Broadway" could also signal a book focusing on rules?

Catacomb:
Underdark seems like a likely candidate, but didnt they already cover this in Rage of Demons?

[b]5E"Stories"[/b] | [b]Pays Homage to[/b] |[b] 1st Ed Villain [/b] || Tyranny of Dragons | Dragonlance | Tiamat Princes of the Apocalypse | Temple of Elemental Evil | Princes of Elemental Evil Rage of Demons | Underdark/Bloodstone Series | Orcus/Demogorgon Ravenloft | Ravenloft | Strahd Storm King's Thunder | Against the Giants | Giants Tales from the Yawning Portal |Sunless Citadel, Forge of Fury, Tamoachan, Dead in Thay, Against the Giants, Tomb of Horrors | Tomb of Annhilation | Tomb of Horrors | Acerak

What 1st Ed adventure series have not been brought into 5E yet? What villains have not been used? I guess Underdark and Lolth might be it.

And what could "Marathon" be a code for? A Greek-style adventure?

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:19 pm

Goodman Games is taking care of Keep on the Borderlands.

So that would possibly leave the Slave Lords series, maybe mashed up with Saltmarsh?
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

zontoxira
Bugbear

Post by zontoxira » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:43 pm

Havard wrote:neat little table and other stuff
According to product lists, there's the Slave Lords adventure series, the Bloodlands, and more, or even Tales from the Outer Planes. "Broadway" and "Catacombs" are listed as adventure, so I find it unlikely that the former would refer to rules, like XGtE. "Marathon" would be the one you talk about, instead.
Also, check this article on Tribality. They got some interesting ideas, like Modron March for "Marathon" (Manual of the Planes possibly?) and Undermountain for "Catacomb" (makes sense).
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:59 pm

Havard wrote:[b]5E"Stories"[/b] | [b]Pays Homage to[/b] |[b] 1st Ed Villain [/b] || Tyranny of Dragons | Dragonlance | Tiamat
AFAIK, Tyranny of Dragons has nothing to do with Dragonlance. It features the Forgotten Realms' Cult of the Dragon, not Tiamat's Takhisis aspect.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:46 pm

RobJN wrote:Goodman Games is taking care of Keep on the Borderlands.

So that would possibly leave the Slave Lords series, maybe mashed up with Saltmarsh?
Interesting points!

zontoxira wrote:
Havard wrote:neat little table and other stuff
According to product lists, there's the Slave Lords adventure series, the Bloodlands, and more, or even Tales from the Outer Planes. "Broadway" and "Catacombs" are listed as adventure, so I find it unlikely that the former would refer to rules, like XGtE. "Marathon" would be the one you talk about, instead.
Also, check this article on Tribality. They got some interesting ideas, like Modron March for "Marathon" (Manual of the Planes possibly?) and Undermountain for "Catacomb" (makes sense).

Nice article! I think you are right about this. Undermountain is something that could be worth revisiting. It seems less overused than some of the others?

A Manual of the Planes would be awesome!

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:47 pm

timemrick wrote:
Havard wrote:[b]5E"Stories"[/b] | [b]Pays Homage to[/b] |[b] 1st Ed Villain [/b] || Tyranny of Dragons | Dragonlance | Tiamat
AFAIK, Tyranny of Dragons has nothing to do with Dragonlance. It features the Forgotten Realms' Cult of the Dragon, not Tiamat's Takhisis aspect.
You are correct, but I assumed this was basically the Dragonlance storyline with FR wrapping of Tiamat instead of the DL version?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:44 am

Havard wrote:You are correct, but I assumed this was basically the Dragonlance storyline with FR wrapping of Tiamat instead of the DL version?
I'll have to let someone who's actually read or played ToD answer that. But this is the first time I've ever heard it compared to DL.

zontoxira
Bugbear

Post by zontoxira » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:10 am

Yea, it does feature the Cult of the Dragon trying to bring Tiamat into Faerûn. You have the adventure taking place in various locations along the Sword Coast, with the characters chasing down treasures and clues for the cult's grand scheme.
---
---

shesheyan
Cloud Giant

Post by shesheyan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:26 pm

I'm hoping Catacomb is about the Drow Underdark. FR is the dedicated setting for 5E after all.
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon • D&D5E • Want to try : BlueHolmes

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:48 pm

Havard wrote:
timemrick wrote:
You are correct, but I assumed this was basically the Dragonlance storyline with FR wrapping of Tiamat instead of the DL version?
There is no Dragonlance on DMs Guild yet, so I'd agree with Tim.

From what I heard, someone in the 5e team was saying that there is not much of a story to Dragonlance outside of the War of the Lance, but I heard that second-hand through the lens of an unhappy DL fan.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:31 pm

Big Mac wrote:There is no Dragonlance on DMs Guild yet, so I'd agree with Tim.

From what I heard, someone in the 5e team was saying that there is not much of a story to Dragonlance outside of the War of the Lance, but I heard that second-hand through the lens of an unhappy DL fan.
I think you guys are misinterpreting the "Pays homage to" label. I am not saying this is a Dragonlance module. I am suggesting they are taking plot elements from the Dragonlance Modules and adapting them to the Forgotten Realms, just like they were taking Greyhawk modules like Temple of Elemental Evil and Against the Giants and turning them into Princes of Apocalypse and Storm King's Thunder.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:43 am

What you say may be true, Havard, and I agree with your "Pays Homage To..." idiom, but I would disagree that Storm King's Thunder is the FR homage to Against the Giants, since that worthy was converted and published in Tales of the Yawning Portal, as is Tomb of Horrors, if anyone may think to compare it to Tomb of Annihilation - and it features ToH big-bad Acerak. Perhaps ToA is a sequel to ToH?

However, I may be full of it, since I have yet to read any of SKT, and I've had it on my shelf for nearly 3 months now. :oops:

Anyhoo, I wouldn't put my money on any guesses for these titles, since for "Dust" (i.e., "Tomb of Annihilation") I would've guessed an original module set in Greyhawk's Sea of Dust! and been completely and diametrically opposed/geographically wrong. :lol:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:23 am

Tomb of Anhilation is more like Forgotten Realm's take on Tomb of Horrors. Besides the fact that the adventure states the Tomb of the Nine Gods is one of the many "Tombs of Horrors" Acererak has created in many worlds of the multiverse (so far, we know three: the Tomb of the Nine Gods, the original Tomb of Horrors, and the Tomb of Horrors he built in the 4e core world), the adventure is totally unrelated with the original adventure, or the 4e version of the adventure.

zontoxira
Bugbear

Post by zontoxira » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:09 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:Tomb of Anhilation is more like Forgotten Realm's take on Tomb of Horrors. Besides the fact that the adventure states the Tomb of the Nine Gods is one of the many "Tombs of Horrors" Acererak has created in many worlds of the multiverse (so far, we know three: the Tomb of the Nine Gods, the original Tomb of Horrors, and the Tomb of Horrors he built in the 4e core world), the adventure is totally unrelated with the original adventure, or the 4e version of the adventure.
So we could instead wait for a FR take on a classic adventure. Or a sequel, as Delgath mentioned.
---
---

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:48 pm

Does anyone think that the two videos that D&D Beyond did with Mike Mearls about mind flayers and githyanki and githzerai might be a hint at one of these 2018 products. :)

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:37 pm

Big Mac wrote:Does anyone think that the two videos that D&D Beyond did with Mike Mearls about mind flayers and githyanki and githzerai might be a hint at one of these 2018 products. :)
I'm repeating myself:

If Mike Mearls is talking about it, and to paraphrase another comment on that yt channel: "without going into much detail, but more detail necessary to set up a future campaign" I cannot imagine that WotC are NOT working on a Spelljammer book for 2018. :?

I'm calling Broadway. :lol:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:54 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:I'm calling Broadway. :lol:
I''d think Marathon would be a better match, given that Spelljammer routinely involves traveling MUCH longer distances than traditional campaigns do. ;)

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:18 am

timemrick wrote:
I''d think Marathon would be a better match, given that Spelljammer routinely involves traveling MUCH longer distances than traditional campaigns do. ;)
I would've thought Marathon too, but Broadway has dice, and I'm betting that SJ/Mind Flayer set of dice are gonna rawk. :mrgreen:

zontoxira
Bugbear

Post by zontoxira » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:13 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Does anyone think that the two videos that D&D Beyond did with Mike Mearls about mind flayers and githyanki and githzerai might be a hint at one of these 2018 products. :)
I'm repeating myself:

If Mike Mearls is talking about it, and to paraphrase another comment on that yt channel: "without going into much detail, but more detail necessary to set up a future campaign" I cannot imagine that WotC are NOT working on a Spelljammer book for 2018. :?

It could also be set in the Astral Plane ;)
---
---

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:57 pm

timemrick wrote:
I wondered that about the dice.

Unless they had special dice for Spelljammer combat (like rolls for critical hits on the ship) I can't see what would make me want to buy "Spelljammer dice". :?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:03 pm

zontoxira wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:
I'm repeating myself:

It could also be set in the Astral Plane ;)
Well we already know that Mike Mearls does not want to move Spelljammer off of the Material Plane onto the Astral Plane...

...but with the Pirates of Gith being able to travel to the planes and the 3e Monster Manual V having the Thoon-link to Eberron use Nautiloids that travel to the Far Realm, it could be that WotC allow some Nautiloids to travel onto other planes. (Even back in the 2nd Edition Era, that Dawn of the Overmind book was using a Nautiloid as an automated ship that had air-tight doors.)

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”