Change Xanathar’s Class Inspiration tables for other worlds

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Change Xanathar’s Class Inspiration tables for other worlds

Postby Coronoides » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:42 pm

Been re-writing some of the inspiration tables in Xanathar’s for my British Fairy tales campaign. Anyone tried this for any of the fan favourite D&D campaign settings?
For example the PC rogues are more likely to be young humans out to find their fortune using their wits or fey tricksters than criminals. Additionally in my world things like thieves guilds and gladatorial pit fighting don’t exist. So I wrote these:

Adversaries
1 You were once the house-slave of a terrible giant you escaped with the giant’s meagre silver. The giant has sworn to enslave you again.
2 You fed a devil the wrong information and made them look foolish. The devil wants to drag you back to hell.
3 Your uncle leads a large bandit gang. He wants you to join and wont take no for an answer.
4 A thief who steals expensive jewellery looks a lot like you.
5 You stole from a dragon and although you spent the treasure long ago the dragon still hunts you.
6 You made a deal with a terrible green hag, your future first born in exchange for your life.

Benefactors
1 A giantess helped you escape from her terrible father. Now you owe her an equally valuable favour
2 A devil has hid you from pursuers many times and expects you to return the favour. You can walk away from the bargain at any time, it will only cost you your soul.
3 You saved a tiny talking sparrow from a net and now she regularly brings you valuable information.
4 Your parents gave you their life savings when you left to seek your fortune. It is up to you to look after them in their old age.
5 You shared the last of your bread with a beggar who was in fact a hermit saint. Your kindness has earned you one favour from this most holy man.
6 It is well known among cats that you are a favourite of their king. You can rely on cats for help.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k8grwh41izy4z ... 8.pdf?dl=0
Coronoides
Ogre

Re: Change Xanathar’s Class Inspiration tables for other wor

Postby Hugin » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:26 pm

This is a great idea, and ties in perfectly with tweaking the backgrounds for specific settings as well.

So while I haven't attempting anything yet, it's certainly in the back of my mind now.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:36 am

Hugin wrote:This is a great idea, and ties in perfectly with tweaking the backgrounds for specific settings as well.

I agree that it's a great idea. I don't have Xanathar's Guide to Everything yet, but I'll have to think about adapting this to Spelljammer, if I ever get the book.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby zontoxira » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:33 pm

Campaign based on British fairy tales? Brilliant :O I wanna play too!
I so wanted to use the background tables for each class in XGE. Alas, my players are such veterans, they always come up with their own backstories.
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo
zontoxira
Gnoll

Postby Coronoides » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:47 am

zontoxira wrote:Campaign based on British fairy tales? Brilliant :O I wanna play too!

:) To anyone reading this, In all seriousness the game is in Melbourne Australia and is *always* recruiting. In you don't live in Melbourne and want access to the stuff let me know and I'll be diligent about posting stuff in the Home-brew forum.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k8grwh41izy4z ... 8.pdf?dl=0
Coronoides
Ogre

Postby Tim Baker » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:10 am

I love this idea. :)
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Return to D&D 5th Edition