Numenera campaign using 5E

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Numenera campaign using 5E

Post by shesheyan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:14 pm

Now that I've reconnect with a group of players it's time I started working on a new campaign. I enjoy being a player but I prefer being a GM. The problem I have is that I've created so many campaigns over the years I need something new to get my creative juices flowing. Otherwise, I'll just feel like I'm doing a LOTR + FR + Mystara pouding. Been there, done that too many times.

When Numenera came out I played several games but it ended for various reasons. One of them being the system having only 3 classes. I'm big fan of Jack Vance's Dying Earth/Big Planet and Gene Wolfe's Books of the New Sun series. And I have all the Numenera books. During my Christmas travels I decided I would try to run a Numenera campaign setting using 5E rules. I figured it shouldn't be too hard to pull off since both system use a d20 roll over system.

One thing I plan on keeping is the players will roll monster attacks against themselves. Still debating if I'll use fixed damage for monsters - going for average instead of rolling. As a GM never rolling any die is very liberating. You can keep your focus on the story.

Are you familiar with Numenera ? Have you any thoughts on this ?
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon
Preparing : Modern AGE Urban Arcana mini-campaign
Reading : 5E Sci-Fi Esper Genesis

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Re: Numenera campaign using 5E

Post by Yaztromo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:22 pm

Actually, there are two more classes (Seeker and Glint).
I don't think that the number of classes is an issue, anyway. In fact I mostly play class-less and level-less RPGs and I'm happy with it.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:56 pm

Yaztromo wrote:Actually, there are two more classes (Seeker and Glint).
I don't think that the number of classes is an issue, anyway. In fact I mostly play class-less and level-less RPGs and I'm happy with it.
Very interesting! I missed Characters Option #2 completely... :facepalm: I see that the two classes taken in part from The Strange and Cypher System. I didn't buy those. So its new stuff to me. ;)

(I don't have a problem with only 3 classes or Numenera. It was a problem for the group of players I was with at the time.)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:39 am

shesheyan wrote:
Very interesting! I missed Characters Option #2 completely... :facepalm: I see that the two classes taken in part from The Strange and Cypher System. I didn't buy those. So its new stuff to me. ;)

(I don't have a problem with only 3 classes or Numenera. It was a problem for the group of players I was with at the time.)
So are you going to make 5e conversions of the Numenera classes, or just use the 5e classes in the Numenera setting?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:50 am

Big Mac wrote: So are you going to make 5e conversions of the Numenera classes, or just use the 5e classes in the Numenera setting?
Making the conversion would be IMO too much of a hassle. Consider that the three classes are very customizable, since most of the powers are determined by the other parts of the character definition (descriptor and focus). The three Numenera classes are basically fighter (glaive), wizard (nano), and a rogue-like character who can also be seen as a jack of all trades (jack). However, the focus (a Numenera character can be described as, e.g., a strong glaive who fights with two weapons or a clever nano who talks to machines) affect the character abilities and appearance so much that the class per se is hardly meaningful -- a nano who focuses mind over matter is rather different from a nano who works miracles.

You'd have to redo the class system in a way more similar to, say, Star Wars Saga Edition, which is probably too much work. On the other hand, you could easily use 5e (or any other existing rules set) as is in the Numenera setting, since classes are not a key feature of the setting itself (i.e., you wan't find a "Jacks' Guild" or other class-based organization). There are some organizations that could be mapped on D&D-style classes (such as the Aeon Priests), but this is not at all necessary.

GP

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:55 pm

Big Mac wrote:
shesheyan wrote:

So are you going to make 5e conversions of the Numenera classes, or just use the 5e classes in the Numenera setting?
The plan was to use 5e classes with the Numenera setting... but now that the number of classes has been expanded to 5 I think we will play with Numenera rules instead. I asked around last night and the response was very positive.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:56 pm

Scrap this project. One player doesn't want to play anything else than DD5E. Its just too much work for me to convert Numenera to 5E. Instead, I decided to pull a fast one and play DA2+DA3. They are in spirit close to Numenera and remind me, in part, of Jack Vance's Big Planet (1957). Which is one of the inspirations for Numenera.

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”