Green Star Adepts and Co.

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Seethyr
Fire Giant

Green Star Adepts and Co.

Post by Seethyr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:35 pm

From the pages of 3.5e’s Complete Arcane.

I wasn’t particularly impressed with the book, but I enjoyed reading about this class.

How would you use a Green Star Adept in 5e? Sorcerous origin? Warlock or Wizard? Could it even apply to a martial type like a barbarian?

How about their alternatives? The article mentioned using another hard substance like quartz in place of Star Metal. I for one, thought Plumastone might be an interesting Maztica alternative, but one that might not fit the flavor well (or could it?).

Anyway, I’d love to hear what you come up with.
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Green Star Adepts and Co.

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:06 pm

Seethyr wrote:From the pages of 3.5e’s Complete Arcane.

I wasn’t particularly impressed with the book, but I enjoyed reading about this class.

How would you use a Green Star Adept in 5e? Sorcerous origin? Warlock or Wizard? Could it even apply to a martial type like a barbarian?

How about their alternatives? The article mentioned using another hard substance like quartz in place of Star Metal. I for one, thought Plumastone might be an interesting Maztica alternative, but one that might not fit the flavor well (or could it?).

Anyway, I’d love to hear what you come up with.
Here is what the page says:
Richard Baker on the WotC website wrote:Green Star Adept

Once each generation, the comet Alhazarde -- the legendary Green Star -- visits the night skies, a portent of great and terrible events. Beneath its emerald light, kings rise or fall, weird monsters and magical plagues appear to scour the land, and strange and ancient secrets are revealed. Glorious and sinister auroras glimmer in the dusk for weeks on end, and from time to time shooting stars of burning emerald fall from the sky. These fallen stars are the only known source of starmetal, a rare and precious ore infused with mighty magical power.

A Green Star adept is the master of the strange and powerful magic derived from Alhazarde's glittering green starmetal. He travels the land, searching for more of the comet's fallen substance and mastering its eldritch power. Turning his back on the traditional studies of the sorcerer or wizard, he slowly transforms into a living statue of starmetal, gaining immortality and invulnerability at the cost of his own flesh. At each appearance of the comet, only a handful of adepts can complete the rites necessary to achieve this transformation.

Sorcerers and wizards are most capable of understanding the strange arcana of the mystic comet. Of the two, wizards are more likely to master the astrological calculations and meticulous observations required to divine the secrets of the Green Star. Some Green Star adepts, however, come from entirely different origins, having picked up the necessary arcane knowledge along the way. Such rare individuals might be learned monks or warlocks, sinister rogue/sorcerers, or any other character diligent enough to learn the secrets of the comet Alhazarde.

All Green Star adepts are bitter rivals, since all who follow the path are in constant competition for the rare and precious starmetal required for the transformation. NPC Green Star adepts never work with each other, often going to great lengths to keep other adepts from learning about news of starmetal finds.
3rd Edition D&D had this "Greyhawk lite" thing going on, where generic content was implied to be loosely connected with Greyhawk/Oerth, so I would be tempted to use Alhazarde as a comet in Greyspace.

I would take "once in a lifetime" to be a period that was roughly the same as a human lifespan.

Comets have two focal points in their orbit. They zip around the one closest to the sun (or in the case of Greyspace Oerth) and the travel a lot slower around the other focal point. So, for most of the time, I would have Alhazarde outside of the orbit of the outer planet in Greyspace.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:44 pm

Considering that the class has a martial side to it and spellcasting is no longer the primary focus, I would look at making this a subclass for the fighter. Use the eldritch knight as a template and make Int its ability for spellcasting.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Seethyr
Fire Giant

Post by Seethyr » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:41 am

Big Mac wrote:
3rd Edition D&D had this "Greyhawk lite" thing going on, where generic content was implied to be loosely connected with Greyhawk/Oerth, so I would be tempted to use Alhazarde as a comet in Greyspace.

I would take "once in a lifetime" to be a period that was roughly the same as a human lifespan.

Comets have two focal points in their orbit. They zip around the one closest to the sun (or in the case of Greyspace Oerth) and the travel a lot slower around the other focal point. So, for most of the time, I would have Alhazarde outside of the orbit of the outer planet in Greyspace.
I might take this out of the actual comet lore. The article mentions alternative “hard substances,” and that completely got my mind wandering to things like adamantine, mithril, or of course plumastone.

In Maztica, plumastone is basically a type of obsidian that does not flake or crack easily. It canonically only existed near the City of the Gods, Tehwahca (though I’ve put it elsewhere in my own lore). I guess it was an attempt in the novels where it first appeared to give the locals at least a fighting chance against the steel of the conquista....err the Golden Legion of Amn.

I think it would actually make a great substitute.

Dragonhelm wrote:Considering that the class has a martial side to it and spellcasting is no longer the primary focus, I would look at making this a subclass for the fighter. Use the eldritch knight as a template and make Int its ability for spellcasting.
Great idea. Considering I don’t have a dedicated fighter path yet this definitely works in more ways than one (I used rangers for Jaguar Knights and Eagle Knights). Do you think it doesn’t fit the flavor well enough though? Some kind of “Obsidian Adept?”
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:27 am

Seethyr wrote: Great idea. Considering I don’t have a dedicated fighter path yet this definitely works in more ways than one (I used rangers for Jaguar Knights and Eagle Knights). Do you think it doesn’t fit the flavor well enough though? Some kind of “Obsidian Adept?”
The Green Star Adept entry says you can use other stones/gems. So yes, I think obsidian would work quite well for Maztica.

I once considered the idea of Shardminds as obsidian men for Dark Sun. So the same basic concept for this PrC should work just fine.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”