Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes announced

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes announced

Postby Big Mac » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:28 pm

Mike Mearls just announced that Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes is going to be the next D&D product.

Does anyone have a guess about what the product will be?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes announced

Postby Big Mac » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:09 pm

Big Mac wrote:Mike Mearls just announced that Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes is going to be the next D&D product.

I replied to him. :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby shesheyan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:13 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Mike Mearls just announced that Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes is going to be the next D&D product.

I replied to him. :)

:) :) :) :)

Sounds like its the Monster Manual 2 ! Probably a mix of Greyhawk specific monsters and NPCs.
shesheyan
Fire Giant

Postby Havard » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:40 pm

stebehil posted about it in this thread:

stebehil wrote:They did not tell anything about the content, but there is a press release scheduled for monday, probably revealing more. At this point, no clue.

EDIT: The Kobolds pointed toward the random housed penguins:

"Discover the truth about the great conflicts of the D&D multiverse in this supplement for the world's greatest roleplaying game.

This tome is built on the writings of the renowned wizard from the world of Greyhawk, gathered over a lifetime of research and scholarship. In his travels to other realms and other planes of existence, he has made many friends, and has risked his life an equal number of times, to amass the knowledge contained herein. In addition to Mordenkainen's musings on the endless wars of the multiverse, the book contains game statistics for dozens of monsters: new demons and devils, several varieties of elves and duergar, and a vast array of other creatures from throughout the planes of existence."

EDIT2: Sounds like a Planescape monster book to me.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby RobJN » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:52 pm

I wonder if this means that Greyhawk and/or Planescape will finally be set loose for the DM's Guild sooner rather than later?
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Big Mac » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:47 am

Havard wrote:stebehil posted about it in this thread:

stebehil wrote:They did not tell anything about the content, but there is a press release scheduled for monday, probably revealing more. At this point, no clue.

EDIT: The Kobolds pointed toward the random housed penguins:

"Discover the truth about the great conflicts of the D&D multiverse in this supplement for the world's greatest roleplaying game.

This tome is built on the writings of the renowned wizard from the world of Greyhawk, gathered over a lifetime of research and scholarship. In his travels to other realms and other planes of existence, he has made many friends, and has risked his life an equal number of times, to amass the knowledge contained herein. In addition to Mordenkainen's musings on the endless wars of the multiverse, the book contains game statistics for dozens of monsters: new demons and devils, several varieties of elves and duergar, and a vast array of other creatures from throughout the planes of existence."

EDIT2: Sounds like a Planescape monster book to me.

There is actually a video about this on YouTube: Fireside Chat, 2/2/18:

EDIT: Twitch link replaced with YouTube link.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Tim Baker » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:39 am

Big Mac wrote:There is actually a video about this on YouTube: Fireside Chat, 2/2/18:
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2GsBra3Z2M]

If you want to skip to the announcement, it's about 42:59 into the video.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Big Mac » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:52 am

Tribality have been given a full-size picture of the front cover. See their Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes for D&D 5e – Coming in May article.

I don't see it up for pre-order on Amazon yet, but Penguin Random House have a page up for D&D MORDENKAINEN'S TOME OF FOES with more details:
Mordenkainene's Tome of Foes at Penguin Random House wrote:D&D MORDENKAINEN'S TOME OF FOES
Part of D&D Accessory
Written by Wizards RPG Team

Hardcover
$49.95 US
Wizards of the Coast

• Pop Culture > Games & Puzzles > Games
  • Pop Culture > Geek/Nerd > More Geek/Nerd...

20 oz | 18 per carton
On sale May 29, 2018 | 192 Pages | 978-0-7869-6624-0

Discover the truth about the great conflicts of the D&D multiverse in this supplement for the world's greatest roleplaying game.

Discover the truth about the great conflicts of the D&D multiverse in this supplement for the world's greatest roleplaying game.

This tome is built on the writings of the renowned wizard from the world of Greyhawk, gathered over a lifetime of research and scholarship. In his travels to other realms and other planes of existence, he has made many friends, and has risked his life an equal number of times, to amass the knowledge contained herein. In addition to Mordenkainen's musings on the endless wars of the multiverse, the book contains game statistics for dozens of monsters: new demons and devils, several varieties of elves and duergar, and a vast array of other creatures from throughout the planes of existence.

They do repeat the "Discover the truth..." line over there. That's not a copy and paste error. (And they do have a Geek/Nerd category of products. :shock: )

I agree with Stebehil. It sounds like a Monster Manual of Planescape monsters from that last bit of text. Given Mike Mearls's recent D&D Beyond interview about the Illithid Spelljamming empire, I'm wondering if "multiverse" would be a Planescape/Spelljammer crossover book, with a bit of both settings.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:25 am

Big Mac wrote:They do repeat the "Discover the truth..." line over there. That's not a copy and paste error. (And they do have a Geek/Nerd category of products. :shock: )

I agree with Stebehil. It sounds like a Monster Manual of Planescape monsters from that last bit of text. Given Mike Mearls's recent D&D Beyond interview about the Illithid Spelljamming empire, I'm wondering if "multiverse" would be a Planescape/Spelljammer crossover book, with a bit of both settings.

I'm guessing it will be a "Monster Manual", but more in the style of Volo's Guide to Monsters. The "Multiverse" reference could also be more of an excuse to bring in different races and monsters from multiple settings.

Great conflicts. Are we talking things like the Blood War?

Here's the cover:

What is that device Mordenkeinen is using? I feel like I have seen that before?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby RobJN » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:33 am

One of the covers. Because there can never be just one. :roll:
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Havard » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:21 pm

RobJN wrote:One of the covers. Because there can never be just one. :roll:

Yes, that is definitely the wrong lesson to learn from the comic book industry. I'm going with the standard covers though.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:23 pm

Big Mac wrote:There is actually a video about this on YouTube: Fireside Chat, 2/2/18

I watched the whole video. I like how Mike Mearls started talking about Eberron and threw in some references to Dark Sun.

I also found it interesting that they were talking about the old D&D Cartoon.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby zontoxira » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:26 pm

I believe it will be something along the lines of Manual of the Planes: Information about the planes and their denizens. And yes, it's gonna be like Volo's.
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo
zontoxira
Gnoll

Postby Havard » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:30 pm

Robert J Schwalb is one of the contributers. He was just asked on his FB wall what the book was about and he responded:

Robert J Schwalb wrote:Big book of cool critters!

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Seethyr » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:55 pm

zontoxira wrote:I believe it will be something along the lines of Manual of the Planes: Information about the planes and their denizens. And yes, it's gonna be like Volo's.

Volo’s was a really nice format. I’m looking forward to this one.
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us
Seethyr
Fire Giant

Postby stebehil » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:27 pm

Mordenkainene's Tome of Foes at Penguin Random House wrote: [...]Mordenkainen's musings on the endless wars of the multiverse[...]

Well, this line sunk in just now. If this does not mean "Blood War", then I don´t know what else this would allude to. If we get any Spelljammer-y stuff as well, I won´t complain. (I guess I won´t wait for the translation to happen, if it even comes at all...)
stebehil
Bugbear

Postby zontoxira » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:04 pm

stebehil wrote:
Mordenkainene's Tome of Foes at Penguin Random House wrote: [...]Mordenkainen's musings on the endless wars of the multiverse[...]

Well, this line sunk in just now. If this does not mean "Blood War", then I don´t know what else this would allude to. If we get any Spelljammer-y stuff as well, I won´t complain. (I guess I won´t wait for the translation to happen, if it even comes at all...)

It can't be the Blood War only. There are countless conflicts out there in the planes, philosophical or not. Celestials, fiends, powers and proxies, factions, primers and planars, the list goes on. I'd find it quite disappointing if Planescape was restricted to just one aspect of such an endless, cosmological clash.
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo
zontoxira
Gnoll

Postby stebehil » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:09 pm

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/mo ... -tome-foes

"Similar to 2016’s Volo’s Guide to Monsters, Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes not only contains everything you need to run challenging new monsters at the table with your friends but also provides tons of storytelling information on some of the most contentious relationships in the multiverse. You’ll learn more about the schism between drow and other elves, githyanki and githzerai, and dwarves and duergar, in addition to reading about the incessant Blood War between demons and devils."

"[...]try out some of the player options for races like tieflings and elves, or maybe an otherworldly githyanki or githzerai."

Sounds very interesting. Some of these conflicts are as old as the game itself (or nearly so). I guess they sold that book to me already.
stebehil
Bugbear

Postby Tim Baker » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:31 pm

stebehil wrote:http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/mordenkainens-tome-foes

"Similar to 2016’s Volo’s Guide to Monsters, Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes not only contains everything you need to run challenging new monsters at the table with your friends but also provides tons of storytelling information on some of the most contentious relationships in the multiverse. You’ll learn more about the schism between drow and other elves, githyanki and githzerai, and dwarves and duergar, in addition to reading about the incessant Blood War between demons and devils."

"[...]try out some of the player options for races like tieflings and elves, or maybe an otherworldly githyanki or githzerai."

Sounds very interesting. Some of these conflicts are as old as the game itself (or nearly so). I guess they sold that book to me already.

Don't miss the interview with Mike Mearls at the bottom of the page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r93sKXCvXQ4
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby RobJN » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:25 am

Tim Baker wrote:
stebehil wrote:http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/mordenkainens-tome-foes

Don't miss the interview with Mike Mearls at the bottom of the page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r93sKXCvXQ4

Wake me when they tackle the politics and relations between Alfheim and the Shadow Elf Territories. Or the Known World vs. the Master of the Desert Nomads. Or... everyone vs. the little kingdom of Blackmoor.
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Dread Delgath » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:06 pm

The first link had this bullet point list wrote:Product Overview

The title is Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes
There will be a regular and variant cover (same as previous books such as Volo and Xanathar)
The cost will be US$49.95
The release date is still May 29th, 2018 and May 18th, 2018 in game stores
The page count has been updated to 256 pages and it has been confirmed that it will be a hardcover
Limited edition cover will be available in game stores May 18th, 2018

What is Contains

For DMs:

New monsters at the table, many CR 10 and higher.
Tons of storytelling information on some of the most contentious relationships in the multiverse. You learn about the schism between:
drow and other elves
githyanki and githzerai
dwarves and duergar
Blood War between demons and devils.
Inspiration and greater challenges for players who have reached higher levels of play

For Players:

story hooks to use with their characters
player options for races like tieflings, elves, githyanki and githzerai

So, I'm all in for the variant cover! :mrgreen: I have the variants for Volo's & Xanathar's, why stop now? (and they don't cost any extra (unlike comic book variant covers :roll: ), they're just limited editions available through WotC stores, which my FLGS happens to be...)
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Postby RobJN » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:54 pm

The Tome of Foes is the topic of discussion on this week's Dragon Talk D&D Podcast, complete with a Lore You Should Know segment discussing Mordenkeinen himself. (It's like they planned it!)
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Return to D&D 5th Edition