Eye of the Deep

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

dulsi
Storm Giant

Eye of the Deep

Post by dulsi » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:51 pm

Anybody know of any good OGL stats for the Eye of the Deep for 5e? Exotic Aberrations has them but I don't like the stats. (I haven't bought this product. The preview happened to have the stats.)
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage

dulsi
Storm Giant

Re: Eye of the Deep

Post by dulsi » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:39 pm

Here is my attempt at stats. The creature is kinda boring since it stuns and paralyzes. I made the central eye just last until the eye of its turn which is less powerful than before. WotC changed the central eye to blinding in 3.5 and changed one eye stalk to cold attack. I was thinking of including that as alternative versions. I gave it a CR 6 but I really don't know.

Eye of the Deep
Medium aberation, lawful evil
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Armour Class 14 (natural armour)
Hit Points 65 (10d8 + 20)
Speed 5 ft., swim 20 ft.
STR 10 (+0)
DEX 10 (+0)
CON 14 (+2)
INT 12 (+1)
WIS 13 (+1)
CHA 13 (+1)
Skills Perception +4
Condition Immunities prone
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 14
Languages Deep Speech, Undercommon
Challenge 6 (2,300 XP)
Hold Breath. The eye of the deep can hold its breath for 1 hour.

Water Breathing. The eye of the deep can only breath in water.

Stunning Cone. The eye's central eye emits bright light in a 30-foot cone. Those in the cone must make a DC 12 Constitution saving throw, or be stunned until the end of the eye of the deep's next turn. At the start of each of its turns, the eye decides which way the cone faces and whether the cone is active.
Multiattack. The eye of the deep makes two claw attacks and uses its eye rays.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: + to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d10) piercing damage

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: + to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (2d6) bludgeoning damage. The target is grappled (escape DC 10) if it is a Medium or smaller creature and the eye of the deep doesn’t have two other creatures grappled.

Eye Rays. The eye of the deep can shoot two magical eye rays at one or two creatures within 120 ft. of it or the two eyes can create the same effect as the silent image spell. The creature must make a DC 12 Wisdom saving throw or be paralysed for 1 minute. A paralysed creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
ImageImage

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:50 pm

My first suggestion would be to wait till MTF is released, chances are we will see all beholder-kins in there.
If not, I've got a few notes, though I believe you've done a pretty good job.

* If you want to increase its CR, simply give it more hp and higher AC and DC.
* As far as I can tell, AD&D's Eye of the Deep is mainly a melee combatant. Stunning its enemies with either its central eye or the eyestalks, then closing in for those nasty claws and bite. I'd give it a better Strength stat, like Death Kiss has.
* VGM has a section dedicated to beholders (including stats for death kiss, gauth, and gazer), and also provides alternatives for eye powers.
* For multiattack, I'd write something akin to:
Multiattack. The eye of the deep make two (three) melee attacks: one (two) with its claws and one with its bite. It can also use one of its eye rays.
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:18 am

Are you suggesting two melee attacks or alternatively make it three melee attacks? Or is there some significance to "(three)" and "(two)" that I don't know? I'm not really trying to increase it's CR. I'm just not sure if it is right.

As for official stats, they won't help me. I want to add it to my Brick Monsters with 3.5 and 5e stats. If I used the official stats it would have to be a DM Guild product which does not allow 3.5 stats. Additionally it's questionable that reproducing the 5e would be acceptable. They allow you to reproduce a short stat block in adventure but they really don't want you reproducing to much material. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with complete stats.
ImageImage

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”