The "new settings" is coming, but......

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

sam
Gnoll

The "new settings" is coming, but......

Post by sam » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:01 pm

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/06/04/ ... -settings/

It sounds like they are ready to launch some sort of "multiverse travel brochure ".But if it is just that, I will be very disappointed.I hope they really launch a complete and true "new setting"......Okay, forget it.:)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: The "new settings" is coming, but......

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:35 pm

This is the bit that confuses me:
Christian Hoffer at ComicBook.com wrote:These new publications won't be full-blown storylines, but rather an introduction to different worlds set inside the D&D multiverse. "It's going to be more like at the level of how Barovia [introduced in the Curse of Strahd adventure storyline] is in terms of stuff. Here's a thing that's going to give you a taste of the setting, but we're not going to that setting yet, we're just letting you get in there and start doing it."
So is this going to be like a Basic D&D PDF that ties into a campaign setting? Or are they talking of mini-conversions?

They have kind of already put out content for PlaneShift (the name they have given the Magic: the Gathering D&D crossover products). Maybe that will be one of these settings people can use without a "storyline".
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:35 pm

Okay, this is the sort of thing I have been arguing for them to do for years. If it proves popular they can expand on it and go into more details on each setting further down the line. But a multiworld introduction would be a great start.

I only hope that if they do include Mystara, they decide to actually read up on the setting and do it proper justice.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:46 pm

I hope they'll open these settings up to the DM's Guild as well. That way, even if WotC doesn't want to dedicate resources to some of these settings, the fans (and perhaps even some of the original designers) could.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:55 pm

Havard wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:35 pm
Okay, this is the sort of thing I have been arguing for them to do for years. If it proves popular they can expand on it and go into more details on each setting further down the line. But a multiworld introduction would be a great start.
I'm not even sure what they are talking about doing, to be honest. :lol:

Perhaps they could do a new version of TSR Jam 1999!
Havard wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:35 pm
I only hope that if they do include Mystara, they decide to actually read up on the setting and do it proper justice.
I've heard people say the 2nd Edition conversion of Mystara was problematic, but there were some unusual format changes for that.

How tied to the BECMI rules is Mystara? It would appear to me that things like Frank Mentzer's cosmology or the concept of Immortals don't necessarily need to be tied into the 36 levels of BECMI. BECMI had a different alignment system, just like 4th Edition had it's own system. Is that so critical to the feel of Mystara? Where do you think they would need to be careful to make sure they do proper justice to the setting?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:59 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:46 pm
I hope they'll open these settings up to the DM's Guild as well. That way, even if WotC doesn't want to dedicate resources to some of these settings, the fans (and perhaps even some of the original designers) could.
I can't see them doing that for any of the settings they think have as much potential for a product on the lines of Curse of Strahd.

But I could imagine them throwing the towel in on a campaign setting with a smaller fanbase like Jakandor, Council of Wyrms or Ghostwalk.

NJMystaraFan
Goblin

Post by NJMystaraFan » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:45 pm

I think sam the OP has it right. It sounds like it's going to be a chapter on the settings they choose and what makes them unique from the basic rule books. When I read through "Curse of Strahd," I pulled it apart more for the setting details and what I could use in a 5e campaign. It seems that's what many were able to do in the DM's Guild products as well. I'm just not sure how you can cram all that material into say a chapter or two? I'd rather have another full blown campaign, but just in a different setting besides the realms. Then do what they did in "Princes of the Apocalypse" where they gave you some tips on setting it in other worlds. After the last book I thought they might be doing a Greyhawk game next, but looks like I was wrong.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:38 pm

Well, we can expect to see Greyhawk, Eberron and Dragonlance. Perhaps Planescape and Spelljammer as well.

The other settings, I dunno.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:04 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:38 pm
Well, we can expect to see Greyhawk, Eberron and Dragonlance. Perhaps Planescape and Spelljammer as well.

The other settings, I dunno.
True. Probably Dark Sun and Ravenloft too.

I could see the Nentir Vale making an appearance to be honest. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:13 pm

Well, Dark Sun is depending whether they have refined the psionic rules. For what I remember, the mystic still had issues.

Ravenloft is already covered, in Curse of Strahd. Yet, seeing their trend of reprinting stuff... Yeah, we are going to see Ravenloft in this product.

I'm a bit pessimistic about Nentir Vale. A little bit more since I read Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, as is really blatant now their disregard for 4e lore. I mean, I liked the MToF, but we have to be honest. There is a lot of 4e concepts in that book that got retconned just because they could.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:22 pm

Kinda what I expected. I don't foresee them doing much more than giving these settings a brief, very brief overview and little else.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:56 am

This kind of makes me think a very tiny bit of TSR Jam 1999, but more akin to OP1 - Tales from the Outer Planes, a 1e "Book of Lairs" style adventures that predates Planescape.

I'll be more than happy if WotC releases a 'gazetteer' style book that details brand-spankin-new game worlds!

Most of you know that I am not as tied into settings & the glut of material as most of the friendly members here (that is what the Piazza does, after all!), as I create much of my own, but any NEW game world material is always welcome on my bookshelves, despite the edition it was printed for.
:cool:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

sam
Gnoll

Post by sam » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:49 am

Maybe they are ready to launch the new TSR Jam 1999,or any form of collection.But I want to see them insert a brand new setting;Redesigned Nentir Vale?Cool,please let me enjoy it.I think this is a signal,means that their creativity are working again.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:05 am

Take a look at this link and my setting guesses posted over on EN World: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread ... ost7436236

Hell's Belles is likely going to be a streaming game related to what WotC is cooking up for settings. Perhaps two will get major releases and the others will be touched upon or PCs/NPCs from the various settings will be brought together during a major planar event.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:34 am

Knightfall wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:05 am
Take a look at this link and my setting guesses posted over on EN World: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread ... ost7436236

Hell's Belles is likely going to be a streaming game related to what WotC is cooking up for settings. Perhaps two will get major releases and the others will be touched upon or PCs/NPCs from the various settings will be brought together during a major planar event.
What's Hell's Belles exactly? Last time I checked, they were some female AC/DC tribute band.
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

sam
Gnoll

Post by sam » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:37 am

Knightfall wrote:

If they are preparing a planar event that covers almost all settings, and this event will lead to the next D&D edition,it will be super cool. :D But this kind of event needs multiple adventures and joint guidance.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:43 am

zontoxira wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:34 am
Knightfall wrote:

What's Hell's Belles exactly? Last time I checked, they were some female AC/DC tribute band.
That twitter page follows a bunch of well known female gamers who are believed to be the Belles (or maybe their characters will be the Belles). Holly Conrad is one of them. The speculation on EN World is that is will be the next big WotC streaming event tied into the new story lines.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:48 am

The others are Lysa the Mercyful; Chloe Christine; TK Johnson; Bad News Bugbears; Kayla; Shauna, 15th level Megawitch; and mazz.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

maddog
Frost Giant

Post by maddog » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:08 pm

I'm guessing they're going to use this as a sounding board to find out what people really want and then expand on it later. Much in the same way they did the two Greyhawk gazetteers for 3e. As well as a way for people to use a campaign world as their own home brew without the baggage of full documentation. Imagine the Grand Duchy of Karameikos with everything home brewed except the map and a few basic details like NPC and town names. Frankly, if they pulled the GDoK from the expert rules and the Known World map and country descriptions from X1, that would probably work well without any conflict with any materials that were published later.
---
Hey! I just became a frost giant!
My Moderator voice is in Green.
Moderator of Dragonlance forum.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:43 pm

maddog wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:08 pm
Much in the same way they did the two Greyhawk gazetteers for 3e.
There are two? I only knew of one.

maddog
Frost Giant

Post by maddog » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:57 am

Yes, there was a 30 page Gazetteer and the expanded Living Greyhawk Gazetteer.
---
Hey! I just became a frost giant!
My Moderator voice is in Green.
Moderator of Dragonlance forum.

FaerieGodfather
Shroompunk Warlord

Post by FaerieGodfather » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:44 am

Zeromaru X wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:13 pm
I'm a bit pessimistic about Nentir Vale. A little bit more since I read Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, as is really blatant now their disregard for 4e lore. I mean, I liked the MToF, but we have to be honest. There is a lot of 4e concepts in that book that got retconned just because they could.
Is it really blatant disregard for 4e lore, though? They've done the exact same thing with all of their settings in every edition of D&D they've released.

For better or worse, Wizards of the Coast simply aren't the kind of people who can look at a wheel and not try to reinvent it.
Viktyr C Gehrig
FaerieGodfather's RPG Site (Now with Forums!)

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:53 am

FaerieGodfather wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:44 am
Is it really blatant disregard for 4e lore, though? They've done the exact same thing with all of their settings in every edition of D&D they've released.

For better or worse, Wizards of the Coast simply aren't the kind of people who can look at a wheel and not try to reinvent it.
Yet in a book that is full of enough references to Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Dragonlance and other settings to make Captain America dance happily, is kinda sad that they didn't even indirectly mentioned something about Nentir Vale in the Raven Queen's entry, seeing that the Raven Queen is a goddess that originated in that world (just to point one example).

Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:34 pm

Knightfall wrote:

I like the way you guess. I hadn't seen these glyphs before, or their source, so I'mma guess they're from someone at WotC's twitter account hinting at the possibilities.

Personally, I want to see Greyhawk, Eberron, Planescape, Spelljammer, Ravenloft (as a whole demi-plane setting, not just that which was teased at in "Curse of Strahd") & Mystara represented in 5e. But I wouldn't be completely heartbroken if they left out Greyhawk, since WotC will most likely draw on more recent 'canon' than I can reconcile with my 38 year old GH campaign.

I don't care about Dark Sun or Dragonlance, either, however, the story elements of the original DL was prototypical of story-gaming that came about in years since. I also think that Dark Sun was a springboard of unfettered character power curves, something that 5e classes do quite well. (I am quickly approaching the burn-out stage on any new class or even any character "builds" as it is, I'd hate to get bombarded by even more inspired by Dark Sun, should DS be one of the new settings for 5e.) :evil:

I would be VERY interested to see WotC's 5e take on a setting like Lankhmar though! Slower spellcasting times, NO clerics (they're called White Wizards, while 5e Wizards are called Black Wizards, and the setting is just a great mix of gonzo sword & sorcery! :cool:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:44 pm

https://twitter.com/hellsbellesdnd/stat ... 2511481862

Well. Modrons. Coincidentially, I asked about them a few weeks ago...

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”