[5E SOLO] Sir Shesheyan's Adventures (no DM)

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Re: [5E SOLO] Sir Shesheyan's Adventures (no DM)

Post by Yaztromo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:17 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:55 am
As much as I loved doing this experiment I've come to the conclusion that 5E is too crunchy for the kind of light solo role-playing I'm trying to do. Too many things to keep track of. I'll be switching to B/X when I've finished reading the books.
If I were you, I'd go to an even simpler and more straightforward system. Probably to a d6 mechanics.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:31 pm

Yaztromo wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:17 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:55 am
As much as I loved doing this experiment I've come to the conclusion that 5E is too crunchy for the kind of light solo role-playing I'm trying to do. Too many things to keep track of. I'll be switching to B/X when I've finished reading the books.
If I were you, I'd go to an even simpler and more straightforward system. Probably to a d6 mechanics.
Could be an option. Rolling a d6 doesn't feel like D&D...

Castles & Crusades could be another option since I have the phb at hand.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:22 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:31 pm
Rolling a d6 doesn't feel like D&D...
I don't see the point.
If D&D is too crunchy and time consuming to play smoothly in this way, get a simpler and smoother ruleset. Official D&D and AD&D solo gamebooks had greatly simplified / modified rulesets as well, so it is not an anathema.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:19 pm

Yaztromo wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:22 pm
shesheyan wrote:
I don't see the point.
If D&D is too crunchy and time consuming to play smoothly in this way, get a simpler and smoother ruleset. Official D&D and AD&D solo gamebooks had greatly simplified / modified rulesets as well, so it is not an anathema.
But Solo adventures such as Lathan's Gold and Ghost of Lion Castle did not -- and gamebooks are rather different from actual adventures, IMO. The problem is more with the degree of complexity of modern D&D versions than with D&D on its own. Many modern simpler games are based on d20, so the die size is hardly the matter.

On the other hand, changing the rules set also means having to rebuild the balance of encounters, which is probably even more of an hassle than handling the complexities of 5e.

Once more, I think that the approach taken by Kevin Crawford in Scarlet Heroes is a good compromise: an overlay over existing, old school RPGs, which changes directly the balance of the game so that one PC becomes equivalent to a 4-PCs party in the original rules set. This makes it easy to reuse existing modules, as well as to use random generators beyond the ones proposed in Scarlet Heroes itself. I'm not sure it would help with 5e, but it certainly works with B/X.

GP

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:31 pm

Yaztromo wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:22 pm
shesheyan wrote:
I don't see the point.
The point is that editions starting with 3e and after have many feats, powers, bonus actions to take into account during combat. Monsters also have many special actions. While this is fun in group play Its too much in solo format with one character, one npc and DMing monsters. Its not about the d20.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:43 pm

That's why I was proposing minimalist rulesets, that are often d6... why do you think this would be an issue as it wuldn't feel like D&D?
They are still perfect dungeon crawl rulesets even without tons of feats, powers, bonuses, etc.
Usually these rulesets provide enough creatures (and stats) to replace the D&D ones from your cards...

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:21 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:27 pm

;)

The report part is also time consuming. I'll have to find a shorter way to do it or stop.

I'm debating which system to use : B/X, BlueHolmes. Maybe Tiny D.
With my dragon solo play I also found the reporting onerous, it took about as long as playing the session. For my new solo I’m trying having the ipad right there and typing up as I play. Maybe I’ll get ess done in the session but it does seem to complement my internal dialogue and was fun to do so far.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:52 pm

Coronoides wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:21 pm
With my dragon solo play I also found the reporting onerous, it took about as long as playing the session. For my new solo I’m trying having the ipad right there and typing up as I play. Maybe I’ll get less done in the session but it does seem to complement my internal dialogue and was fun to do so far.
Yes writing does complement internal dialogue. I write mine just after the session is over so I don't forget anything. I should wait the next day.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:00 pm

agathokles wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:19 pm
Once more, I think that the approach taken by Kevin Crawford in Scarlet Heroes is a good compromise: an overlay over existing, old school RPGs, which changes directly the balance of the game so that one PC becomes equivalent to a 4-PCs party in the original rules set. This makes it easy to reuse existing modules, as well as to use random generators beyond the ones proposed in Scarlet Heroes itself. I'm not sure it would help with 5e, but it certainly works with B/X.

GP
I'm going to dig out my SH pdf and give it a second read more in depth read. ;)

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:00 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:00 pm
agathokles wrote:

GP
Let us know your opinion when you do. I've tried it out with a short urban campaign, using the overlay on BECMI. I'd be interested in hearing other people's experiences and thoughts on it.

GP

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:25 pm

agathokles wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:00 pm
shesheyan wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:00 pm
agathokles wrote:

GP
Let us know your opinion when you do. I've tried it out with a short urban campaign, using the overlay on BECMI. I'd be interested in hearing other people's experiences and thoughts on it.

GP
I'll wait for Paul Bimler's 5e Solo Adventuring book to come out and use it at the same time as Scarlet Heroes.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:41 pm

After much hesitation I've decided to keep using 5e to continue the adventures of Sir Shesheyan. It is a bit more crunchy then I would like for a solo game but since I've invested a lot of money on the books and feel like I haven't used them enough to recoup my investment. Also, trying to read old systems is too hard for me. I keep remembering the reasons I left them systems behind and moved on to other iterations.

My solo sessions were simply too long which made them tiresome towards the end. I should be doing a new session very soon once I finish reading the Tool Box.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:41 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:41 pm
After much hesitation I've decided to keep using 5e to continue the adventures of Sir Shesheyan.
YAY! *thumbs up!*

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”