Solo Play Storm King’s Thunder Spoilers/no spoilers please

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Solo Play Storm King’s Thunder Spoilers/no spoilers please

Post by Coronoides » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:41 pm

I went back and forth about whether to post this to Forgotten Realms or here. In the end I decided an exploration of a set of solo gaming rules was more important to the topic than it being set in the Realms.

No spoiler in comment please! I am reading through the book for the first time as I play and my character explores.
But also Contains spoilers do not read this if you are playing Storm King’s Thunder or want to.

In this thread I use the Elminster’s Guide to Solo Adventuring (EGSA) from the DMs guild to play through Storm Kings Thunder by myself. How well does EGSA perform its promised function of allowing you to play any published 5e adventure solo?
So why play solo? Firstly, with work and life demands my group struggles to meet once a month. I need more RPG!. Second, I’m always the GM, I want to play for once. Playing through like this enables me to experience what looks to be a fun adventure myself and learn about it before using it at my table (one day maybe). It also is a source of lore about giants in the Realms which will inform my Ostoria project. Finally, it is playtesting for the Ostoria project in that my character will be a cloud giant. Here is a link to the sheet for Gymir Langskye a young wandering cloud giant noble.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y5whr6uweufy8 ... 9.pdf?dl=0

Cloud giant solo.
My character’s background is deliberately designed to keep him in the dark despite being a giant.

Gymir Langskye’s Story.

Chapter 1 A Great Upheaval
(I am writing as I play this time. Full disclosure Gymir was created to be equal to a party of 5th levels according to the rules in Elminster’s Guide to Solo Adventuring (EGSA). This first chapter is designed for a part of 1st levels so he should have an easy time).
My family raised me within the elegant spires of our castle on a mountain distant from other giant steadings. The isolation of my family from other giants made my childhood a lonely one. We had a long tradition of gifting food from our gardens to the Small Folk of the valley below when crops failed. In a year of early frost this is how I met my first humans and how a lonely giant child struck up a friendship with a shepherd boy. From his tales I learned of the wider world beyond our mountain castle and when I came of age I set off to see it for myself with my griffon Sypd. For nearly two years we have wandered among the small folk ever pushing south towards their great cities and the marvels they hold. I had many adventures before the dreams and clouds called me home. Feverish dreams and shapes in the clouds stand as omens to me, the Ordening of races has been upset. One can only suppose our All-father god is displeased and has overturned the Ordening. What prompted such a action of disfavour? I do not know. So I abandoned my wandering among the Small Folk and trudged north to the Savage Frontier as the Small Folk call it, the lands where the last of Ostoria has withered. What is King Hekaton of the Storm Giants doing to quell the unrest?
After weeks of journeying I arrived at Waterdeep where my presence caused something of a stir even among its jaded cosmopolitan citizens. I was barred from the city until I convinced a curious noble, Lady Velrosa Nandar of my peaceful intentions. In return for her hospitality Lady Velrosa has asked me to try to meditate the long standing grudge between her subjects in Nightstone and the elves of Ardeep forest. Reluctantly, I leave behind the varied sights of Waterdeep. Following the last signpost I stride the last ten miles toward the settlement. I call Spyd to heel to prevent any unfortunate issues with the locals’ horses. Within a mile of the settlement I hear a bell which grows louder as the river girt settlement comes into view. Other than the bell there is no sign of life from the island village nor the keep on the adjacent island. The bridge connecting the two islands is damaged as is at least one tower of the keep. Has the simmering dispute unaccountably suddenly boiled into a battle? I decide to head for the bridge to the village and from there cautious make my way towards the keep.
The drawbridge is lowered but will the structure hold my mass? (Page 2 of Elminster’s Guide to Solo Adventuring (EGSA) uses a simple 50/50 dice roll to deal with yes/no questions) Gingerly a start my way across the bridge which promptly collapses under my weight and I’m pounded into the cold river. The cold water comes up to my navel (15ft deep on the map). Spyd of coarse flits up and then sellers on the opposite bank. The banks of the river are steep. Under the watchful eyes of my griffon I hoist myself up thoroughly muddying one of my sets of fine yet sturdy clothes. Where is everyone? Standing up I peer at the top of the defensive towers which are level with my shoulders, no-one. It is then I notice the stones and the worgs. Great boulders are strewn about the village and at least one has smashed in part of a home. This looks like a giant attack! I should not has dawdled when the omens began. The pair of worgs feasting on the corpse of a dog in the village square lead me to suspect brutal hill giants who sometimes raid villages but rarely this far south. The Worgs obviously taken by bloodlust bound forward to attack. I sharply call Spyd to heel, the griffon is not as sturdy as I.
Combat mode the worgs are 90ft away.
Initiative order
Gyumri 15
Worg B 13
Spyd 11
Worg A 6
Round 1: I reach into sack and heft my first boulder. I could make the throw but instead wait for them to come closer where my aim will be true (held action). The first worg sprints forward and is soon close enough for my liking. I let the boulder fly. I grin rather pleased with myself as the boulder strikes the worg dead on the skull (critical 47 damage) crushing its head to pulp but the second worg is already sprinting momentum and frenzy driving it passed its fallen pack-mate. Spyd rumbles disappointment but stays. The bell tolls.
Round 2: The worg is fast closing but I heft and hurl another rock. Under pressure it is not my best throw but it strikes bruising the worg but the sturdy beast drives on (19 damage, 5 hits left) and is soon leaping to attack with slathering jaws. I deftly step aside. Spyd bites at the worg and misses. The bell tolls on.
Round 3: Drawing Frost Claw my sword carved from a white dragon’s talon I step then cleave down (21 to hit, 10 damage very low roll). I only graze the dread-wolf but with the crushed ribs from my stone it is enough to down the monster. I dispatch the two and stride forward to collect my rocks.
End combat.
(I feel that Gymir would notice the rocks are to big for the Hill Giants he suspects are behind the attacks. Following the exploration chart in EGSA I determine the perception check to be DC5, I roll 9). The stones littering the village are as big as my own, far too large for hill giants to use comfortably. A larger breed closer my own stature perhaps fog giants or a immoral band of my own people. It wouldn’t be the work of noble and reclusive storm giants.

What I know.
To help keep things straight EGSA suggests you keep a list of information your character knows.

I have been away more than a year
I sense the Ordening of the Giant sub-races has been upset.
I know about Hekaton and his previous efforts to put down unrest among the giants and of Queen Neri’s treating with the Small Folk.
Nightstone was attacked by giants of about my size.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Re: Solo Play Storm King’s Thunder Spoilers/no spoilers please

Post by Coronoides » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:09 pm

Leaving Spyd to eat some of the dead worg I stride over to the temple with its tolling bell, perhaps someone is within tolling the bell to attract help. I cannot see through the timber temples windows, they are stained glass. I get on my knees pushes the door open and peers in. Inside is a rustic temple to the gods of humans. No one is on the pews or pulpit. A door at the back of the room is unreachable without lying down and slithering sideways through the front-doorway. “Hello” I call just loud enough to be heard over the bell. No answer. Standing up I strides around to the exposed bell in the steeple which is head high to the cloud giant. ( the map has a nifty side view of the village. I gently pinch the bronze bell still and the bell stops ringing. (Perception check: EGSA indicates DC20 to hear the goblins, Gymir fails, I assume the goblins seeing the giant hand think better of running out to attack). “Hello, I wont hurt you. I’m here to help your village” I call down the steeple in soothing tones, but again no reply. Assuming that villagers are hiding within after a giant attack and not inclined to trust a giant right now I shrug and moves away south towards the broken bridge to the keep and calling Spyd to heel as he passes the griffon in the square. I note the hole in the centre of the square, perhaps there was a statue here and the giant raiders took it as an ornament.
The wooden bridge was also a ramp leading to the top of the keep’s motte. Though the gap is only 15 ft landing on the higher section could be tricky. Also what if like the drawbridge this structure will not bare my wieght? Nothing for it but to try. Taking a run up I pound toward the bridge spyd gliding behind in my slipstream. The first few strides up the ramp I feel like I’m going to make it and then my side of the ramp collapses and I fall again into the freezing river. (rolling a d6 I discover the bridge wont hold, does it break straight away or after I have climbed the ramp? After. I fall 20ft in 15ft of water ). Nothing to do now but climb the island motte. I figure the local reeve and his family would have hold up inside the fortified keep.( having climbed up a few slippery river banks I rate my chances less than 50/50 and begin to work down the flowchart in EGSA. My backstory is I’m a giant, that’s gotta help. I’m going to call this an acrobatics check since balance is the key on the slippery slope, DEX is positive. Final DC =10. Roll a 1). I try desperately to scramble up the muddy slope but only succeed in generating clucking amusement from Spyd who is perched on the remaining bridge above. ( under ESGA rules I can’t try the same thing again, something has to be different, sod ). I stand in the navel deep cold water and look about. Ah ha! The pylons of the remaining bridge are an arms length (10ft) apart perhaps I can use my strength to drag and kick myself up the slope on my belly. Hesitating at the thought of the mud on my fine clothes I then start up. ( Again ESGA suggests DC10, roll 15+athletics 5=20! Yay. ). Eventually, I heave myself over the edge of the slope onto the level top of the motte. In front of me is the gatehouse and Spyd cocking his bird head in amusement. “Yes, very funny”. I get on my hands and knees and push on the gates. They are not barred. Looking though I can see another giant’s boulder in the grass before the keep. Given the struggle I had getting up here how the hells did a giant get up here to toss that boulder? Clearly there is something I’m missing, but what? Atop the keep the pennant of the Nandar line, a fox on purple, still snaps in the breeze. I take this as a good sign, crawl on all fours through the gatehouse and into the bailey. The keep has no widows but areas are damaged by hurled boulders. Spyd watching from the roof I cautiously circle the keep. I find two dead human guards and two broken regions where I could walk in with stooped shoulders ( the ceilings within the keep are 20ft tall ). I explore the broken north west tower first. I find a (relatively) tiny kitchen mostly buried under the rubble. I grimace as Spyd swollows a dirty cold roast chicken then withdraw and stride around to the broken south east tower. Striding in I am surprised to see 4 guards standing over the body of my patron Lady Velrosa Nandar, she must have ridden like the wind to beat me here only to be struck dead. The guards whirl around and ready their spears. (given what I know wearing my referee’s hat there is a good chance the guards will attack! Better roll initiative to see if I get a chance to talk them down.
Guard C 16
Guard A 14
Guard D 14
Spyd 11
Guard B 11
Gymir 8
Err, nup. Bring on the custard.
Round 1

Guard C charges to attack with his spear. Roll natural 1. And he is unbalanced by the loose mortar and stones of the ruined tower.
“For Nandar” cries guard A and charges natural 20! 4 damage to my ankle.
Not to be outdone his fellow shouts “The Fox!” And runs in rolls a 4 and misses.
Things are going from bad to worse as Spyd seeing his master under attack pounces forward intend on rending guard A into bloody shreds! The beak of the griffon scrapes against the mail of the guard leaving him unharmed but the talons of Spyd find flesh and tear 10 damage, the guard staggers from the wound but remains conscious. Small blessings. Memnor the trickster jests with my life today!
Guard B sprints into to aid his fellow but his spear is wide.
Finally, I recover my wits “Damn it” I cry in exasperated Common “Lady Nandar sent me here to help talk with the elves, I’m friendly”. As I’m speaking I draw and drop my sword ‘Frost Claw’ to the ground. ( Persuasion roll time. I feel its worth breaking down the DC determination. Given what I know about the guards’ recent experiences looking at page 7 of EGSA I choose ‘not viewed favourably’ and directed to “Is there anything in your possession, recent events, or backstory that might help?” Let’s see possession: not really, recent events: well my dropped sword, Backstory: Position of Privilege feature and my recent dealings with their employer in Waterdeep. So a firm yes to that question. Next question is about ability scores. The relevant core ability score is Charisma and positive so that’s a yes. Final DC10. Wish me luck! And roll…a 6, + persuasion 6 =12 made it!)
End combat.
The guards as one hesitate, except the ragged screaming one. “Spyd, Down!” I command. (Animal handling according to the flowchart DC5, roll 2, +5 animal handling). Reluctantly, the griffon drops to lie on the rubble.
I pull out my healing potion. “Here a few gulps of this and you companion will be as new” ( uses 3 of the 12 1d4+1 ‘gulps’”).
“Lady Velrosa, told us to expect a noble cloud giant” ventures on of the guards.
“Tell me what happened here lady.”
“Alara, lord. Excuse our anger but you are not the first cloud giant in these parts. Our village and keep was bombarded with boulders dropped from a castle floating in the sky on a cloud. Lady Nandar and everyone in the keep was cut off from the village when a boulder broke the bridge. A stone came through, the ceiling fell in on our lady, she died that was nothing for it.”
“Sad news indeed, she was gracious to me in the capital. What about the villagers without the guard or keep to protect them?” I ask concerned.
“Likely they fled to the bat caves, there were some guards in the village to protect their escape.”
“It sounds like cloud giants, high in the Ordening too if they had an ancient keep of Ostoria”
The young woman looks puzzled for a second then “ooh the cloud castle. Anyway after we saw the villages flee pale giants, like yourself, came down from the castle and took the Nightstone.”
“The what?” I ask
“A big black stone obelisk old as the hills. Was here when the village was founded. No-one knows more than that.” Replies Alara.
I lift a stone. “I can easily build a cairn to keep the wild birds away while until there is time for a proper burial. After that we should check on the villagers at the caves. Someone also seems to have taken sanctuary in the temple too, perhaps you could reassure them I’m here to help”.

What I know.
I know about Hekaton and his previous efforts to put down unrest among the giants and of Queen Neri’s treating with the Small Folk.
Nightstone was attacked by high status cloud giants
They took the mysterious ‘Night Stone’
The villagers and some guards are likely in the bat caves.
Someone is in the temple, I assume it is scared villagers.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:59 am

Coronoides wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:41 pm
Second, I’m always the GM, I want to play for once. Playing through like this enables me to experience what looks to be a fun adventure myself and learn about it before using it at my table (one day maybe).
Woah! Of course, if you read the book, you can't do solo play with it, afterwards, without already knowing stuff!

I guess you could buy adventures for solo play and put them into a queue, and then move them over to your regular gaming collection afterwards.
Coronoides wrote:
It also is a source of lore about giants in the Realms which will inform my Ostoria project. Finally, it is playtesting for the Ostoria project in that my character will be a cloud giant. Here is a link to the sheet for Gymir Langskye a young wandering cloud giant noble.
I never thought of giant PCs playing Storm King's Thunder. This is probably going to have an interesting impact on parts of the story. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:53 am

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:59 am
Coronoides wrote:
Second, I’m always the GM, I want to play for once. Playing through like this enables me to experience what looks to be a fun adventure myself and learn about it before using it at my table (one day maybe).
Woah! Of course, if you read the book, you can't do solo play with it, afterwards, without already knowing stuff!

I guess you could buy adventures for solo play and put them into a queue, and then move them over to your regular gaming collection afterwards.
Coronoides wrote:
It also is a source of lore about giants in the Realms which will inform my Ostoria project. Finally, it is playtesting for the Ostoria project in that my character will be a cloud giant. Here is a link to the sheet for Gymir Langskye a young wandering cloud giant noble.
I never thought of giant PCs playing Storm King's Thunder. This is probably going to have an interesting impact on parts of the story. :)
Yes Even after a couple of sessions I think this might be my preferred way to familiarise myself with an adventure. From now on I will solo many promising adventures first. This is especially good since getting through a campaign when my group meets once a month can take forever.

As for the effect of my giant PC, I have already had one mis-understanding that led to drawn weapons. I'm looking forward to seeing how the interaction with other cloud giants play out in particular. How will my torn motives between the good of my own people and the greater good play out? Can't wait to find out.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:49 am

As I work I ask “Alara, is there anyone else in the keep? We should not leave them behind”
“No my lord, ther is no one else” Alara replies and between the five of use we quickly build the cairn. This done I lead the guards to around to the gatehouse and through. “I’ll slide down first the rest of you follow once I’m standing in the river. I will lift you safely across” Figuring my clothes are muddy aleady I slide down the motte. Once I’m standing in the cold water the guards gingerly start down one by one. One by one they lose their balance and slide down the slope I catch them and lift them to the far bank. Spyd flits over and watches as I try to scramble up the pylons ( DC10 as before roll 19 +1 acrobatics made it!) and over the edge of the bank. I note the temple bell remains quiet. ( I’m assuming having seen a cloud giant ‘return’ the two goblins have run off .
Looking right at the smashed cottage I suggest “let’s check the homes to be sure everyone made it out safe.” I stride over to the cottage whistling spyd to take to the air as I do so. 4H. I crouch down and peer in where the boulder has crushed the walls while the guards search inside. A guard gasps “what is it Torem?” asks Alara rushing over. “The elders Xelbrin, dead.” Another guard rushes over startlinmg a hidden tressym. The little winged cat flits out a smashed window and back into hiding. “It’s alright” calls Alara softly “come here kitty” (Animal handling for the guard running through the social interaction chart I get DC 20. Alara rolls a 20!). Reluctantly the tressym emerges and flits over to Alara who strokes the little pet’s fur. While Alara comforts the mourning pet we build a rough cairn of stones and timbers from the house.
I decide to be systematic so no-one is left for the crows. I will work anticlockwise around the village and have the guards search each building. Next is a guard tower (2E). The door is ajar perhaps left open when the guards fled, a good sign. Alara leads the guards in and soon raises a cry “Goblins !”.
Combat roll for initiative. Lucky for the goblins they are in the tower where I can’t get them.
Guard C 21
Torem 14
Goblin A 12
Guard D 12
Spyd 10
Alara 6
Goblin B 3
Gymir 2

Round 1. Guard C charges with her spear but the goblin steps nimbly aside then slashes Alara (6 damage). There is little room to fight within so guards Torem flanks the door ready to spear any goblin that runs out. Spyd notices the sounds of battle and dives down to land. In the tower Alara stabs and misses. Guard D takes the other side of the door and waits. The second goblin slashes at Alara scoring a bloody gash (4 damage, Alra is on 1hp!). Crouching down and seeing Alara bloodied I bark an order “get out Spyd can take them, Spyd! Blood!” (Does the griffin behave correctly? The griffon is bonded to me but sees no need to help my wisdom modifier is positive so DC10 I roll 9 for a total 14).
Round 2. Guard C disengages and backs out of the tower to my side. Torem waits spear ready. Goblin A slashes at Alara and misses. Guard D waits spear ready. Spyd barges past the guard and squuezes into the tower. At a disadvantage in the tight crowded room the griffon attacks beak and claw and scores a rake with his claws (10 damage). The goblin collapses in a bloody heap. Alara, wary of the griffon and bleeding, retreats to my side. Scared for his life the nimble goblin monkeys up the ladder to the roof and hides.( goblin nimble escape, do I spot the goblin? I’m crouching to peer in the door not standing so I can see the roof so no.). I draw my sword ready in case the goblin miraculously gets past the griffon and two guards flanking the door ( held action). What are goblins doing here? I wonder.
Round 3. We all wait outside for the goblin to run out. Alara whincing remarks “Any second now, like sending a ferret into a rat ‘ole my lord.” Spyd circles above ( under EGSA no retried until something changes). “Indeed!” I rumble. Spyd lets out a screech of frustration and barrels through the door spreads his wings and wheels around over the tower ( doe he spot the goblin crounch behind crenulations and a guard’s chair? Goblin stealth check 19. Spyd perception check 15) not seeing the goblin Spyd circles looking. ( is there a window or other way out? D6 and follow EGSA No). “He must be on the roof lord, there’s no other way out.” On the roof under the chair the goblin pants scimitar ready in case he is discovered ( ready action). I get to my feet and stride over to the tower to peer at the roof ( Perception check to beat the goblins 19, total 13, nup ) “Are you sure? I can’t see him”.
Round 4. Guard C moves into the tower spear ready and searches for a few seconds finding nothing. Torem follows and also searches “has to be here somewhere”. Guard D waits ready by the door. Alara calls “He has to be there, he can’t have gotten away look around” aid another action.Sweat drips of the frightened goblins brow under the chair. He holds his scimitar in a white knuckle grip. (Ok, is there anything else up there besides the chair? 6 yes ). I poke the junk dumped here by generations of complacent with Frost Claw my blade (Investigate with advantage roll 19 and 6, use the 19, total 20. “found the blighter!” I call as my sword topples the chair the goblin spings up slashing at my wrist and hits (3 damage). “That smarts!”.
Round 5.
Hearing my yell guard C rushes up the ladder and spears the goblin but does little more than a scratch to the scared creature (2 damage). Torem is not far behind but his spear glances off the goblin’s dirty armour. Guard d moved to block the door out. Spyd swoops down pecking and clawing but misses and lands on the crowded roof. Bleeding Alara hangs back. The goblins scimitar rattles of Guard C’s mail. Frustrated I stab with Frost Claw trying to hit the goblin crowded by my allies and miss (natural 1! ( OOC I’m yelling hurry up and die already you little shit!))
Round 6. Guard C and Torem flank the goblin and attack but still miss. Spyd also misses. Crying a blessing to his trickster god the goblin attacks guard C and hits 5 damage. I stab again and just catch the little monster (15 to hit) but behead him none-the-less (22 damage)
(Really, 6 rounds to kill a goblin, that’s embarrassing!).
I pass my healing potion to my bleeding allies. Soon they are restored to full health but the health potion is ¾ gone (9 of 12 1d4+1 does used so far). I decide to ignore the cut on my wrist and cut ankle, my small companions may need the potion if there are more goblins about. That and the human-sized one I also carry.
“What are goblins doing here?” I ask.
“The hills are riddled with bands of them” replies the gruff bearded Torem “it’s why we have the wall. I’m guessing a scout saw the giant attack and they decided to take the chance for a little looting.”
“Bands of them?”
“Aye”
“We’d best hurry over to aid whomever is in the temple” The others nod and we march directly there. The guards search the temple and find no-one. They do report gonblin prints though including lots around the bell chord. (DC10 Investigation check). Well that explains the bell-tolling I suppose. We return to our systematic search.

“What are those goblins doing in the yard of the Nesper place?” whispers Alara.
“Who knows what they are thinkin’ “ grumbles Torem under his breath “goblins are stupid”
I look down and see two goblins who have just run out of the cottage into the yard (4G) presumably after looting the house. They don’t see me though because they are weaing pumpkins on their heads. We watch for a few moments as they squeal, chase each other and trip over pumpkin vines in the yard. I heft a rock and point to Torem’s spear. Torem whispers “Good thinkin’, lootin’ is only a hanging offtence but that’s to good for these vermin”.
I hold up fingers for a count down 1… 2… 3.
4 spears, and a boulder follwed by an excitable griffon hurtle toward the goblins.
attacks with advantage because the pumpkin wearing goblins can’t see .
A goblins gleeful laughter is cut short with a cruch and squelch noise as he dies instantly under a huge boulder. A spear bounces of the boulder. Randomly the other three guards had aimed for the other goblin One spear hits one misses and the third brings the goblin down.
“idiots” mocks Torem as we stride over to collect our weapons. We put the goblins bags of loot hidden under a bed within for the Nesters when they return and move on.
The trading post (9) has the blue shield with lion symbol of the Lionshield Coster trading hose nailed to it. Again the guards go in. “Goblin!” yells Alara.

What I know.
They took the mysterious ‘Night Stone’
Goblins rang the temple bell
There are goblin looters about. Goblins are really stupid.

OK I’m gonna take a break.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:44 pm

Some thoughts from the tram to work. So far the systems provided by EGSA provide a smoothe running way to resolve most questions you would usually rely on a DM for. You do need self discipline to state what your intentions are before reading the next entry. This means using only adventures you have not read yet. I think my move of writing as I play helps keep everything straight and records the narrative you are constructing as you play. It saves time if you are going to report to a forum.
One issue I do have is Q3 of the flowcharts to determine DC while easy to adjudicate effectively changes a -1 ability scoremodifier to -6! ( or a +1 to a +6). I’m tinkering with splitting Q2 about circumstances and year into two to solve this.
I used the second method to balance a single PC for an adventure meant for a party. However I can’t comment on this yet as my PC is equivalent to a 5th Level party and the first chapter of the adventure is designed to be started by a 1st Level party.
Ok here’s my stop off to work

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:30 pm

“Careful” I call out “if you get cut come out, no point dying fighting these vermin”.
Not entirely sure I can trust Spyd enough to send him in and unable to get within myself I leave the guards to deal with the goblins.
initiative
Guard C 21
Alara 20
Guard D 17
Goblin 15
Spyd 8
Gymir 4
Torem 4
Round 1:
Guard C stabs at the goblin and misses. Alara steps around to flank the lone goblin and stabs but fails to penetrate the looter’s leather armour. Guard D stabs and hits leaving a bleeding wound (3 damage, goblin has 4hp left). The goblin nimbly escapes the guards reach and backs into a corner of the room so it can’t be flanked. Spyd watches the door intently (held action). I stroke the feathers of his head “Calm, goblin’s only, not our friends” the griffon can’t understand the words but I hope they focus him enough that he does not attack any guards that emerge (I’ll make an animal handling roll if a guard runs out). Torem moves over and attacks the goblin and hits (5 damage, the goblin dies) spearing the looter through the heart.
The sounds of melee are short lived. A few quiet moments later the guards casually walk out. “We saw to them looters!” Alara declares with enthusiasm.
“we had him cornered soon enough…” Torem begins and describes the brief fight.
I let them bask a little in their victory before suggesting “That was the store, perhaps if I leave payment we can take torches and lanterns for the cave?”.
“Good idea” replies Alara as she head back into the store to look.
Following the instructions in the adventure I look to see what we can find. I told them to look for light so let’s just do that.
1 candle (1cp), 2 lamps (1gp), 4 bullseye lanterns (40gp), 4 hooded lanterns (20gp), 1 flask of oil (1sp), 3 tinderboxes (1gp 5sp), 4 torches (4cp). Total price 62gp 6 sp, 5cp. Allowing for a tip I leave 63gp instructing Torem to hide it within the store. I’ve always assumed that lanterns come with a full tank so I’ll do myself the same courtesy here.
Who has what?
Alara: candle, bullseye lantern, tinderbox, torch
Torem: 2 lamps, bullseye lantern, tinderbox, torch
Guard C: bullseye lantern, spare flask of oil, torch
Guard D: bullseye lantern, Tinderbox, torch.
Gymir: 4 hooded lanterns.

We skirt the yard behind the store and head to another villager’s cottage (4F). This one is shuttered and locked tight with no sign of forced entry. Odd glyph’s in an unknown language hint at the potential for magical protections too. Calling out and getting no reply we move on.
The next home is smaller and shorter 4E. A rock has crushed part of it. The guards venture in but soon report that the Halflings that lived there are not present.
The next home shares a yard with the general store (4D). The yard is planted with potatoes and turnips. In the centre of the yard is a boulder legs stick out from under it. “Nestor!” cries Alara. We comfort the young guard and with my help wrap the body in a blanket from the house and burry him in a temporary grave in the yard. My huge hands easily digging a good deep grave in the soft rich soil.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:59 am

Next on our grim tour is another watchtower (2D). This time I stand with Sypd in the south-west corner formed by the tower and the wall and watch peering over the top of the 20ft tower. In position I send the guards in again with the instruction to retreat if they get so much as a scratch. Soon there is the sound of battle from within.
Initiative
Guard C 18
Spyd 17
Goblin 17
Alara 14
Guard D 14
Gymir 7
Torem 3

Guard C stabs with her spear and misses. (Does Spyd stay to heel? Roll a social check for my animal handling. As discussed I’ll split Q2 to replace Q3
Q1. Does the character you want to interact with view you favourably?
Q2. Is there anything in your possession or any recent events that might help?
Q3. Is there anything in your backstory that might help?

A1. Yes, A2 Can’t think of anything solid so no, A3. Yes Spyd was raised by me from the egg we are besties. Final DC10, result 23.
). Outside Spyd tenses anticipating the order to attack. Within the goblin nimbly disengages and scampers up the ladder opens the hatch and springs onto the roof. She screems in terror when she sees me and begins to run for the river side wall sword ready and some silver trinket hanging from her other hand. (can’t jump this round as is out of movement, so hold action). Alara climbs the ladder and closes on the goblin who deft swings before Alara can bring her spear to bare but misses. Alara’s spear fails to penetrate the boiled leather chest plate of the goblin. “Give that back!” Alara yells enraged. Another guard joins Alra on the roof, stabs, and hits (2 damage). “Spyd. Blood!” I call. As I run around to the northwest corner of the tower I see Spyd Fly up and land between the two guards in front of the goblin (held action). Once next to the terrified goblin I bring my fist down like a hammer but the goblin nimbly steps aside ( I do 10 bludgeoning to the floor I think a stone tower could take that. On the map the roof is stone grey.). Torem arrives but can’t get past the others to the cornered goblin but stands ready blocking the trap-door down.
Round 2. Guard C stabs and misses. Spyd tries to rend the goblin with beak and claw. Spyd lunges and bites the goblins head clean off and swallows. Alara collects the silver locket from the goblins hand.
(who has what up date:
Alara: candle, bullseye lantern, tinderbox, torch, Taela Summerhawk’s locket.
Torem: 2 lamps, bullseye lantern, tinderbox, torch
Guard C: bullseye lantern, spare flask of oil, torch.
)
The next building is quite large perhaps a barn. There is a hole where a boulder has smahed through the wooden roof. Perhaps I could accompany the guards within this time? As I had hoped the building has a barn’s double door. I indicate to the guards to wait outside and hunch down to squeeze through the 10ft wide opening. Once inside I can stand full height (just) and look around there are some very scared horses in stalls below a U-shaped hay loft. ( I’m going to assume that Derp the goblin isn’t suicidal and seeing an armed cloud giant decides to stay hidden rather than shoot his bow. Derp’s Stealth roll 17, my passive perception 15. I don’t spot him right away.). Crouching down I hum softly and try to calm the horses ( I score no to all questions DC25, I need to roll at 20, nah, result 14. I think given the presence of goblins in the village I’d at least look about to see if any where in here. Nothing really has changed for perception so) I poke about with Frost Claw to see if there are any goblins about ( roll 1+1=2 investigation). “All clear, come in” I call. The guards file in. “Lord, you’re spooking the horses!” exclaims Alara.
“Let’s go outside.” We step out. “Whose horses are those?” I ask.
“The Nandars bought them for us to use. ” explains Torem.
“You will return after we have finished our search and the horses have had time to calm down. By riding you can keep up with me.”
We leave and round the corner of the stable. Ahead I can see crushed home backing onto the stable yard. In the yard two goblins are distracted by chasing chickens. When my huge form rounds the corner they gasp.
Initiative
Gymir 19
Guard C 17
Spyd 13
Alara 13
Guard D 13
Goblin B 6
Goblin A 6
Torem 3
)
Round 1. I stride forward casually stepping over the ankle high fence of the yard then heft the nearest rock and drop it on a goblin but the vermin scrambles away unharmed. “Spyd, Blood!” Guard C dashes around vaults into the yard and runs over to flank a goblin. Hearing the command to attack Spyd takes to the air and lands next to the nearest goblin in a flurry of feathers and claws. His beak scrapes against the goblins leather armour and he fails to claw the looter as well. Alara vaults the fence dashes along the stable wall behind the griffon then across the yard to arrive panting by the second goblin. Guard D jogs over and takes up position next to Spyd. ( a lot of dash actions here). The goblin by Alara slashes with its scimitar drawing blood ( 4 damage, Alara on 7hp). The nimble goblin then disengages and runs around behind the smashed cottage. His companion slashes at Guard D but misses then skips beyond reach, runs, and spryly vaults the low fence. Torem runs, vaults the fence and goes to join the others. Seeing the fleeing goblin he gives chase but fails to close with the little monster.
Round 2. I don’t have line of sight to either of the goblins they are behind a remaining wall of the smashed cottage so I lope around to easily cut them off. I draw Frost Claw and the afternoon sun glints off the ivory blade as I bring the enchanted weapon down ( 28 to hit, 12 slashing damage) slicing the goblin neatly in two from crown to groin. The goblin drops his loot-sack and a terrified chicken emerges and flutters off. Guard C sprints around gets ahead of Torem and strikes the goblin through the fence with her spear ( attack with disadvantage) but misses. Spyd leaps up and flies over the battle to land between me and the goblin who is now flanked by the griffon and a guard. ( attacks with advantage. Beak hits 5 damage, goblin on 2hp, claw hits with critical 15 damage = shredded goblin). The goblin is shredded by beak and claw.
(One cool thing in this fight was as a giant I could move the boulders on the map about. Remember I am overpowered for this first chapter.)
After the fight the guards search the goblins and the house. Within they find the crushed body of a middle aged woman. “So many of us dead.” Sighs Torem sadly. "I'm sorry Torem, I'm afraid there are good and bad among my people" I respond. We build a cairn over body using the rubble of the cottage and move on.
(who has what update.
Alara: candle, bullseye lantern, tinderbox, torch, Taela Summerhawk’s locket.
Torem: 2 lamps, bullseye lantern, tinderbox, torch, Semile’s Gold ring, 5cp.
)
Last edited by Coronoides on Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:05 am

When you work through the flowcharts in EGSA each 'no' raises the DC by 5. One thing that bugs me is how the third question (about ability scores) in the EGSA flowcharts effectively changes a -1 ability score adjustment (from an 8 or 9) to a -6! Therefore I'm splitting the question 2s in two to create a replacement. for the social chart my questions are now.
Q1. Does the character you want to interact with view you favourably?
Q2. Is there anything in your possession or any recent events that might help?

This solution also give story considerations more weight.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:07 am

Our next stop is another guard tower (2C). I go against the north west wall and watch the trapdoor ready to grab any goblin that emerges. The guards orders are simple flush out goblins and retreat if you get so much as a scratch. Spyd circles overhead. The guards find a couple of escaped pigs. Seeing the animals Spyd lets out a screech.
Roll initiative
Spyd 20
Piggy A 20
Gymir 14
Torem 16
Piggy B 12
Guard C 7
Alara 3
Guard D 3
I’m using goat stats for the pigs

Spyd swoops down and attacks a pig easily disembowelling with his beak then claws at the second killing it instantly. Seeing it is too late to bring the griffon to heal I offer “I’d like to buy these two pigs. I’ll give you the 20 gold now to give to the owners” (persuasion roll using my modified questions the guards probably view me favourably by now, Recent events well assuming a pig is worth as much as a pony (8gp) I’m offering a good price. I have also fought beside them recently. My backstory includes the position of privilege feature. 3 yes so DC 5. Roll result 22.).
“My lord” Alara holds out her hand and I count out the money. I call a rest and meal break while Spyd finishes. When Spyd is done the tressym nibbles a little on what’s left.
I cross off two days of giant size rations (who has what update.
Alara: candle, bullseye lantern, tinderbox, torch, Taela Summerhawk’s locket. 20gp.
Torem: 2 lamps, bullseye lantern, tinderbox, torch, Semile’s Gold ring, 5cp.
)
During the break I notice a fenced yard against the northern wall of the village. Wandering over I see it is a graveyard. I can just make out a crypt in a second larger graveyard behind the temple. Looks like the village has been here a long time. If the night stone was here when the village was founded how old is it? I rummage through my brain (History Check. Moving forward I will use the following altered version of EGSA exploration questions
EXPLORATION
Q1. Looking at the environmental factors is the outcome 50/50, more than 50/50, or less than 50/50.
Q2. Is there anything in your possession that might help?
Answers: Less than 50/50, No, yes I’m a giant and this is reputed to be an artifact of Ostoria. DC20, roll 23.
)
I remember from my old lessons that in the days of Ostoria stone giants carved stones much like how the guards described the Night Stone. My people are avaricious collectors if they think the Night Stone is of Ostoria such a historic piece would raise the Ordening rank of the Cloud Giant who owned it. Snapping out of my musings I call Spyd to heal and signal the guards to fall in behind. The next building is even larger than the stables and from the graveyard I could see one corners is crushed by a boulder. I wander over to peer in. (8B & 8C). The hole reveals two rooms a unoccupied bedroom on the first floor ( that’s the second floor for USA-ans reading and the first floor in the rest of the world). The ground floor is a kitchen. The crunch of my boot on the rubble brings a startled cry from a goblin within. The little looter has a sack of stolen goods bigger than she is.
Initiative.
Spyd 20
Guard D 19
Goblin looter 16 (higher DEX than Gymir)
Gymir 16
Alara 16
Torem 16
Guard C 8

Spyd hearing the now familr sound of a goblin squeal flies over the rubble and attacks the thief rending with beak (6 damage) but missing with a swipe of his talons. Guard D runs forward and hurls his spear (a 20 critical 8 damage) spearing the thief who falls dead. Inside the sack are pilfered foods from the kitchen which we put away as best we can
“There might be more in the building. Do a search. Usual rules if you get hurt disengage and come to me.” The guards enter the building through a door in the kitchen and into a hall. Crouching I can see them open another door opposite ( 8E(). Revealing an unoccupied bedroom. Shrugging they disappear left down the corridor and out of my view. After a few minutes Torem calls to me from the ruined bedroom. “No Goblins here, least not any live ones. There is a dead one in the dining room with a crossbow bolt in his chest. Looks like a guest here took him down before they left”
“Let’s keep moving then. We’ll check the North-East tower next same procedure as the last tower”. While they work their way through the broken inn I stride toward the tower with Spyd at my heel passing the corner of the Graveyard I can see over the crypt. I see nothing of interest. When we are all in position I signal and the gurads burst through the door into the tower. A few minutes later Alara emerges on to the roof. “Nothing here my lord.”
“Good Alara” I reply.
“It is good to talk to face to face, is it not?”
I rest my chin on the tower for emphasis “Yes it is Alara. Come on there are a few more buildings to search”.
The last few unsearched buildings are to the south. Respectful of the graveyard I take the road. “I doubt there is anyone looting the gatehouse especially since I passed by earlier but we should check”.
A few minutes later the guards report nothing amiss in the gate towers and we move on.
Walking around a field of wheat we search the next two farmhouses and find no goblins ( 4B and 4A). Looking south from the second farmhouse Guard C lets out a sigh of dismay. Looking south I can see the last guard tower of the village wall half smashed by a boulder. Wandering over and searching the rubble we find nothing.
The last building to search is the windmill which stands on a motte overlooking the village. We trudge up the little hill and I wait outside with Spyd while the guards go in. Soon I can hear battle sounds from within.
Initiative
Alara 21
Guard D 21
Goblin B 20
Torem 19
Spyd 9
Goblin A 7
Gymir 5
Guard C 2
Goblins have half cover (+2 AC) and shortbows.

“They are in the rafters out of reach!” calls Alara and tosses her spear which goes wide then falls to the floor with a clatter. Guard D also tosses his spear but hits wounding goblin A badly (6 damage). Goblin B shoots Guard D ( 6 damage). “You shit!” yells Torem and hurls his spear at goblin B but misses. Spyd hearing goblins squeezes into the windmill then flies up to the rafters to attack biting the head off goblin B but missing goblin A with his talons. The bleeding goblin desperately drops his bow and draws his scimitar to slash at the griffon ( 6 damage scoring a solid hit. Outside I sigh and take out my healing potion ready. Back inside the last guard tosses his spear but misses.
Round 2
Alara runs over grabs her spear and throws but misses. Guard D runs out of the mill and gulps on the offered healing potion ( now on 9hp of 11). Torem rushes over grabs a spear and hurls but misses. Up on the rafters Spyd lunges to bite the goblin and misses but follows with a swipe of his claws killing the little looter. Outside Guard D takes another swig (full health now).
After the guards and Spyd emerge Alara declares “I think that is the last of them, we’ve looked everywhere.”
“Yes” I agree “The village is safe now. Just as well there will be no more battles today” I say holding up the near empty giant-size healing potion ( 11 of 12 gulps used!). “Go get the horses, don’t forget to offer them hay to calm them. Alara if you don’t mind I will carry you and you can show me the way. The rest of you will follow 200 yards behind to keep the horses calm.” (does Alara agree to this? DC5 roll11 yes ).
With Alara, Spyd and the Tressym I set off to make ramshackle repairs to the bridge…

What I know.
They took the mysterious ‘Night Stone’ which is older than this quite old village. It might be an artifact of Ostoria which explains why the cloud giants took it. Owning such a historic unique artifact would raise one’s rank among my people.
Last edited by Coronoides on Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:08 am

I think it is worth posting the changes to the exploration questions to draw attention to them
EXPLORATION
Q1. Looking at the environmental factors is the outcome 50/50, more than 50/50, or less than 50/50.
Q2. Is there anything in your possession that might help?

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:53 am

( this next encounter is intended for a party of second level characters. According to EGSA this means it is for a 5th level character. Gymir is still 7 levels too powerful and should get through easily)
Alara and I arrive at the broken bridge flanked by two watchtowers and are surprised to see a delegation of riders on the far side of the river. They are equally surprised to see a cloud giant dressed in muddy clothes. The rugged handsome leader of the rough looking group rides forward “What is your business here giant? Speak truly, we can see the destruction you have wrought. Lady, are you hurt?” The winged snake on the mans shoulder hisses.
I reply “Others of my kind did this. I was sent by lady Nandar to help negotiate with the elves.”
Alara calls “It is true, he arrived after and has helped with goblin looters. I am fine, he even gave us healing potion after our battles”
( does this leader believe us? Persuasion by me with Alara aiding to give advantage. He does not view me favourably, he needs to get into the village but the bridge is down so he might play along to get my help, I am a giant and a noble on a mission from the rightful ruler none of these things are helpful given what I know with my DM hat on. DC 20, my result 10. For my part do I make the connection between the winged snake and the flag of the Zhentarim? History check The Zhentarim are well known so greater than 50/50, nothing in my possession helps, I’m a noble so move in political circles so that helps. Working through the EGSA flowchart with my variant questions DC10, my result 20. I’m suspicious but unsure.)
The leader of the armed warriors calls “I suspect lady you are under duress. Never fear, we are here to guide and protect your village through the difficult period ahead. Giant, You may ford the river and leave in peace.”
As he is speaking a blonde woman in drab rough spun clothes who I have not seen before arrives, she has wandered out of the village and stands near Alara. “I am just a travelling monk, a stranger here, but the rider makes sense. You are on the frontier and will need more swords while your broken defences make you look weak. I was here for the terror of the giant attack, are you really sure you can trust this giant?”
(The leader tries to influence Alara with the ‘monk’s’ help. Working through the table DC20 Deception for the leader result 12. I could have done this the other way around with Alara rolling for insight just this way occurred to me first. Here are really two ‘asks’ here first to accept their help the second to mistrust the giant (me). So I roll again, result 14.)
“I’ll stick with Lord Langskye, over grim looking armed ruffians” Alara says to the monk.
“What is your name and allegiance, who is offering this help?” I call.
The leader of the riders smiles “I am Xolkin Alassandar of the Zhentarim, Join us villagers of Darkstone and enjoy strength and prosperity, decline and see how long you last here on the frontier. We will help by guarding this village. The giant may leave but no-one else comes in or out until you come to your senses.” He dismounts and his men follow his lead. ( Xolkin sees me as a rival marauder and the biggest threat to them controlling the village he wants me gone. He also is smart enough to try to fill me full of crossbow bolts as cross the river trapped by two steep muddy banks. He has options. He can’t get into the village easily so a siege is a good option for him.).
I respond “Finally, the knife is shown. I warn you, follow this man and you die by my hand. Leave him and go in peace and live, do it now or you die.” I heft a boulder 5 feet across for emphasis. (Intimidating the Zhent mercenaries)
Xolkin yells at his soldiers “No-one leaves the family, go now and the Zhentarim will hunt you”
( it’s a competion my intimidation against his, let’s call it a group check for the mercinaries. So who has the numbers to sawy the group
My rolls: 22, 12, 19, 21, 13, 18, 21
His rolls: 13, 06, 03, 05, 16, 21, 07
I sway 5, he manages only 2
).
Weighing immediate grissly death against promised death sometime in the future the mercenaries exchange glances and then leap onto their horses and ride off. “Worthless dogs!” Xolkin curses them.
( My accidental destruction of the bridge is taking me far from the scripted actions in the book so I’m doing my best based on what is given.).
I feel this Xolkin has had his warning and heft my boulder.
Initiative
Xolkin 22
Gymir 21
Horse 20
The monk 19
Spyd 12
Alara 5

“Bring me the monk as a hostage and I will leave” he demands as he draws his Scimitar and dagger. ( held action )
“Spyd, Blood!” I command as I hurl my boulder (23 to hit, 17 damage of 65hp) but the bandit spryly leaps aside. I then slide down the muddy bank into the cold river.
The horse startles and not trained for war bolts
The monk runs around the corner presumably into the safety of the watchtower.
Spyd flies across the river
( is the temptation of horse flesh too much for the griffon? Let’s call this a roll on my animal handling DC10 from the flow chart result 20, he attacks the bandit captain. ) and lands next to Xolkin who immediately attacks the griffon (three attacks one scimitar and one dagger hit 16 damage! on Spyd who is now down to 37hp) scoring a couple of slashes. The griffon repnds in a flurry of beak and talons ( beak misses, claws hit for 9 damage, Xolkin 26, damage of 65hp) but Xolkin survives with only a few deep cuts. Alara dashes forward and throws her spear but misses.
Round 2.
Xolkin curses his horse as he presses his attack against the griffon (one scimitar hit 6 damage Spyd on 31hp). Using the pylons as holds I try to scramble up the muddy bank (Under the stress of combat DC10 athletics result 14 made it) once up my movements are hampered by the branches of a tree. (squeezing). The horse continues to gallop away effectively leaving the battle. The monk appears on the battlements of the tower and watches the fight with interest. Spyd attacks ( critical hit with beak 14 damage, and hit with claws 15 damage) scoring terrible bloody wounds on the Zhentarim mercenary ( 55 damage of 65 ). Alara runs to get help ( effectively leaving the battle for now).
Round 3.
Xolkin drops his dagger and swigs from a potion hanging from his belt (potion of invulnerability resistance to all damage, damn forget should have done this sooner, no one is perfect). Drawing Frost Claw I try to bring down the ivory blade cutting into the foliage as I do so ( attack with disadvantage for squeezing I roll a 1 critical miss. Note I can’t see another spot I can reach from on my mapped out play area). Spyd tasting blood becomes a frenzy of claws and beak ( critical bite but miss with claw 16 damage but halved due to potion is 8 =63. ). The griffon tears a chuck out of the mercenary’s thigh and swallows.
Round 4
“Mercy!” calls the Zhentarim “I will go, and if I survive my wounds never return” but he does not drop his guard ( action defend to buy time to talk if needed)
“Go and never return!” I call then “Spyd, Down!” (does the griffon obey the order? YNY gives a DC10 on my animal handling result 15 ) Reluctantly the griffon ceases its attacks and lies down. We watch the Zhent limp off. “run, coward!” calls the monk from the tower. Xolkin looks back locks eyes with the monk on the tower briefly then follows the road south.

What I know.
They took the mysterious ‘Night Stone’ which is older than this quite old village. It might be an artifact of Ostoria which explains why the cloud giants took it. Owning such a historic unique artifact would raise one’s rank among my people.
The Zhentarim sought to put Nightstone under their ‘protection’.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:23 am

So one thing I noticed this session is that some situations could have been handled in a few different ways, especially social situations. So far I've just one with whatever comes to mind first.
For example consider this section of the last session:

The leader of the armed warriors calls “I suspect lady you are under duress. Never fear, we are here to guide and protect your village through the difficult period ahead. Giant, You may ford the river and leave in peace.”
As he is speaking a blonde woman in drab rough spun clothes who I have not seen before arrives, she has wandered out of the village and stands near Alara. “I am just a travelling monk, a stranger here, but the rider makes sense. You are on the frontier and will need more swords while your broken defences make you look weak. I was here for the terror of the giant attack, are you really sure you can trust this giant?”
(The leader tries to influence Alara with the ‘monk’s’ help. Working through the table DC20 Deception for the leader result 12. I could have done this the other way around with Alara rolling for insight just this way occurred to me first. Here are really two ‘asks’ here first to accept their help the second to mistrust the giant (me). So I roll again, result 14.)
“I’ll stick with Lord Langskye, over grim looking armed ruffians” Alara says to the monk.

Rather than what I did above, I could have rolled once for the leader convincing Alara and then again for the monk. Rather than setting a DC for the leader I could have rolled his deception Vs. Alara's Insight.Deciding on the best way to conduct a roll could easily become stressful for the more introspective. Fortunately, I just go with my 'gut' and don't suffer pangs of indecision.
I supose you could write a procedure every time something like this came up but you would soon end up with a thick book and checking procedures would slow down the action and reduce the fun.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:21 am

Using the Ordening rules just posted in my Ostoria thread Lord Gymir Langskye has an ordening of 22. This will act as a guide for RP should I meet other Cloud Giants.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:08 am

(It’s been a while since I had time for this. This session was also a massive battle and took a lot longer than I had expected. Towards the end my note-taking became a bit brief. I may come back and flesh it out a bit later, or not)

Alara soon arrives with the other guards and the travelling monk joins them. I call to them across the river. “We are bloodied and tired. There are goblins, worgs, and possibly Ex-Zhent bandits in the woods. You fellow villagers will be safe in the caves by now with the other guards. We should rest. In the morning we will repair the bridge enough for the horses to cross. I will stay on this bank but take this coin to the store and bring back a rope and barrel.” I toss them 3gp. After they return and toss me the rope I haul across the barrel. After they leave to find shelter in the temple, I strip, use the barrel as a pail to draw water to wash my sturdy but fine clothes and the spare clothes in my wet pack up to dry on the tree too. I eat a day’s rations and retire to my bedroll under the tree.

The next day we are all at work on the repairing the bridge when a band of orcs staggers over the ridge. The monk who volunteered herself to keep an eye out from the watch-tower lets out a call. I turn and see the grey humanoids. There are over 20 orcs armed to the teeth rushing toward the half-completed jury-rigged bridge. “Hold the bridge from the towers” I command and turn to face the orcs. “Spyd, Blood!” I cry.
Combat.
Initiative
The Monk 21.
*Guard D 19
*Guard C 17
Eye of Gruumsh 16, damage taken 28, 49
War Chief 14/damage taken 16, 31, 56, 58
*Spyd 13
*Alara 8
Orc Soldiers 7
Torem 6
Gymir 2

After shouting her warning the monk pulls a hand crossbow out of the folds of her clothes and crouches behind the basttlements (hold action when orcs come within range of 24 squares fire)
Guard D looks up from her work ( is the bridge crossable yet? EGSA sez yes, can the drawbridge be raised? Yes.) “Quick Raise the bridge!” she calls and runs for the entrance of one of the two towers. Inside she waits for the other tower’s mechanism to be staffed.(held action)
Guard C Runs to the other tower’s mechanism (Double move)
A huge orc with Wearing a horned helm sprints forward (Eye of Gruumsh)
A second large orc clad in heavy chain rushes forward but the brutes have no weapon that can reach us.
Roused by my call Spyd who was resting in the shade of the tree leaps and flying low to the ground, speeds towards the lead orcs.
Alara retreats to the gate between the two watch towers spear ready, guarding the entrance until the bridge is raised. Her winged cat startled by her sudden haste flees.
Shouting warcries the bulk of the orc soldiers rush forward on the heals of their two leaders.
Torem moves to stand be Alara spear ready.
I pull a rock out of my bag a hurl it at one of the lead orcs (randomly determine I aim for the war chief, long range attack with disadvantage 16, for 16 damage, unknown to me the orc is wounded and already down to 60. ) The rock smashes against the orcs side before coming to rest on the soft earth. I then march around infront of the tree so it can’t block my view as the orcs come closer.
ROUND 2
The monk waits on the tower roof.
Guard D hauls on the wheel of the mechanism.
And joined by guard C in the other Tower the bridge begins to rise. (as per the adventure this takes 3 rounds so will be completed round 4).
The spear wielding orc leader nearly runs passed Spyd but then turns and jabs upward with his spear but misses.
The chain clad orc leader charges in to flank the griffon and swings his axe slashing the beast (18 damage).
Spyd retaliates (beak critical! 15 damage) taking a bloody bite then flies up.
The tow orcs swing at the retreating griffon an axe hits (9 damage) and a spear (12 damage) but then the griffon is soon 165ft above the ground.
Alara guards the gate.
As the bulk of the orcs rush passed their leaders flinging javelins at Spyd above or the giant ahead. (10 attacks against each all with disadvantage 2 hit Spyd for 4 and 5 damage) Two javelin strike home on spyd who though badly wounded remains airborne. Three javelin strike me but I can handle the puny puncture wounds (21 damage)
Torem remains steady at the gate.
I hurl a boulder at one of the orcs at the front of the pack (hit for 33 damage) who is instantly crushed dead by the rock. I then move back hoping to thin the brutes numbers before they get within melee.
ROUND 3
The monk crossbow ready waits.
Guards D & C raise the bridge a little more.
The spear wielding lead orc rushes forward now I can see the scarred face and missing eye. (do I know what this means? Running through the 3 modified questions I get DC25, I roll 13)
The axe-wielding leader scoops up a javelin from the ground, stows his axe then charges forward.
Above the battle Spyd wheels around to fly back towards his master gaining altitude as he does so until he is out of javelin range.
Alara guards the gate.
The orcs rush forwards triggering a ranged attack from the monk, but the crossbow misses.
Torem steps back to get more protection from the towers but keeps his spear ready.
I hurl a boulder at the nearest of the two orc leaders (17! Hits 28 damage) smashing the orcs ribs but the one eyed orc does not go down. I retreat back another 80 feet taking me away from those I hope to protect. “raise the bridge!” I yell.
End round 3
ROUND 4
Adjusted initiative order
The Monk 21.
*Guard D 19
*Guard C 17
DEAD Eye of Gruumsh 16, damage taken 28, 49
DEAD War Chief 14/damage taken 16, 31, 56, 58
*Spyd 13
Elf scouts=10
*Alara 8
Orc Soldiers 7
Torem 6
Gymir 2

On the tower the monk fires her crossbow and hits (4 damage).
With a boom the drawbridge shuts. I am alone on the ground with the orc hoard.
Again the one-eyed orc rushes ahead of the pack but this time he is chanting and making sweeping motions with his spear. A red glowing spear of magical energy appears beside me and stabs but draws no blood ( spiritual weapon 4 damage). A war-shaman of some kind no doubt.
The second leader rushes from behind to among his soldiers calling the name ‘Gruumsh!’ as a battle cry to rally his cruel people then hurls the javelin ( special battle cry ability of the war chief. 10 of the orcs have advantage on next attack) the javelin strikes me (8 damage) for a bloody puncture wound.
Gravely injured, Spyd circles high above watching with concern. Then he spies something to the north.
Eight elves armed with bows crest over the ridge. Seeing the orcs they rush forward with a battle cry unleashing arrows. (just out of short range attacks with disadvantage 8 hit regular orcs. As per the instructions in the adventure the elves show up if the PCs are going to be overwhelmed. The elves were the reason the orc war chief starts injured.)
Alara rushes into a tower and up the stairs to the battlements.
Attacked from the rear by their traditional foes, and perhaps reluctant to go toe to toe with a giant the orcs turn to rush the elves hoping to get within axe reach before the bows of the elves cut them down.
Torem races into a tower and up the stairs.
“Memnor’s luck be praised!” I cry seeing the elves. Then I hurl a rock at the one-eyed orc but I miss. I then call upon the magic inherent in my people and disapate into mist only to reappear behind the cover of the tree. I hope that here the spears of my companions might also strike my foes. (Misty Step racial spell is a bonus action).

End of round 4 Elves to the rescue

ROUND 5
The monk watches as the orcs run out of range of her tiny crossbow.
Guards C&D rush up to join their fellows on the battlements.
The one-eyed orc moves to beside the tree his magic weapon also hovering slowly toward me.
The other orc leader rushes in and swing his axe cutting a gash in my leg ( 10 damage )
Spyd circles high above.
The elf scouts let arrows fly aiming for wounded orcs. ( 6 hits one a critical. ). Tow orcs fall dead and others are seriously wounded. The elves then fall back to prolong the time before the orcs close.
Alara watches from the battlements the orc leaders are just out of spear range.
The orc soldiers rush forward. Some grab javelins off the ground and stow their axes as they run.
Torem hurls his spear at the one-eyed orc but misses.
I draw Frostclaw and bring the ivory blade down on the orc leader. ( 22 to hit for 25 damage!) delivering a terrible gash from ear to hip but still the huge orc does not die. Then I use my magic to teleport to closer to the wall and my friends.
ROUND 6
The monk fires her crossbow and misses.
Guard C hurls a spear at the orc leader and misses, but guard D hits (despite disadvantage 2 damage)
The magic spear of energy slowly hovers forwards. The one-eyed orc closes against stabbing with his spear and hits me ( only 4 damage).
Mad with rage and bloodlust the half-dead war-chief rushes in brandishing his axe 9 advantage for flank, 12 damage) delivering a terrible slash.
Spyd hovers above.
Alara throws her spear but misses.
The elf scouts let fly aiming at maimed foes. 7 arrows find their mark and 4 orcs go down.
Two orc soldiers let javlins fly and one pierces elf flesh 5 damage . Other orcs charge some closing to melee range but not yet delivering blows.
Spear spent Torem can’t do much but watch.
I target the half-dead orc leader with by ivory sword (20 damage!) cutting the brute across the waist into two halves.
ROUND 7
The monk fires her toy crossbow and misses.
The guard watch helplessly as the battle unfolds.
The one-eyed shaman stabs and misses. His slow moving spear of magical energy arrives and stabs at me but also misses.
Spyd and Alrara watch with concern.
At the other end of the battlefield two elves fire bows and an orc goes down freeing a third elf to use archery. She fells the orc closing on one of her companions enabling a 4th elf to fire his bow but he misses. The remaining elves drop their bows and draw their swords. Another orc falls to lightning fast stabs and other are wounded.
The orcs that are not within melee reach charge in and then all orcs attack 3 hit ( one critical ) and an elf is killed.
“Enough” I yell and bring down Frostclaw 21 damage cleaving the shaman from crown to groin. Exhilarated I begin to stride toward the distant battle ( Second wind 11 hits healed)
ROUND 8
The elves deftly attack the orcs with their slim swords ( 8 hits one critical) and an orc lies dead.
The orcs enraged fight back 4 hits and two elves do down.
I move forward and toss my last boulder at an orc without a standing foe. 20 damage Splat.
ROUND 9
Elves 5 hits one crit only 5 orcs left
Two orcs hit two elves killed.
I run forward scooping up a rock
ROUND 10
Elves 3 hits two orcs die.
Orcs all miss
I toss the rock but miss.
ROUND 11
Elves 3 hits, one orc dies
Orcs both hit
I run forward and scoop up another rock
ROUND 12
Elves 2 hits last two orcs die.
3 elf survivors.

What I learned.
With my NPC helpers ensconced in the tower and my griffon out of the fight so early when the orcs closed I really suffered from the ‘action economy’ (20 orcs have a lot more attacks per round than me). That said I think that if I had made more use of my race abilities, which remember are 10 of my class levels, then I think I could have kept my distance and defeated them without the elves showing up. If myself and two guards had the Fly spell on us we could have rained death from above out of reach of their weapons. I have to think like a multi class wizard/fighter
The use of a higher level character is not EGSA only method of adjusting a single PC to play in a game designed for a party but I still think it works IF the player is very familiar with the PCs powers and gets good use out of them. I didn’t do this this time. When facing large numbers of monsters it is important for a solo player to keep a distance and use ranged attacks and/or guerrilla tactics
Last edited by Coronoides on Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:34 am

I hold aloft my white blade to signal the guards on the towers “Victory!”. The guards let out a cheer. I stride across the churned tuft of the battlefield passed the corpses to the remaining elves. They are tending their wounded and unconscious. (some should have survived through death saves, so perhaps 6 elves survived all up). “Fair folk! Thank you for your assistance.”
“I am Rond Arrowhome” replies an elf “and we have been hunting these orcs for days. It is you, giant, who has assisted us.” The elf glances at his wounded and dead fellows “Another reminder that what little safety there is in the north is often bought with elf blood. Now we leave.” The elf turns his back on me making it very clear he does not intend to parley. Whatever the grievance between the elves and Nightstone, the elves feel it deeply. Soon the elves have limped off to the edge of the forest to the north and disappear from sight.
I return to the moat’s edge across from the gate. “It seems Memnor smiles but once, there will be no further help from the elves.” I call across the moat. “My ill-mannered kin, goblins, the Zhentarim, and now orcs in a little over a day. It seems your village is in a dangerous part of the Frontier.” I pause for effect. “We shall not leave your homes undefended but we need to get the others from the caves. I propose I take Torem. Alara and errr you others stay here.” I realise with embarrassment that in my aristocratic arrogance I have not even bothered to learn their names. I find the small folk fascinating and yet old habits linger. “I suggest you prop up helms on sticks and spears on the wall and light all the fireplaces to make Nightstone look inhabited and defended.” The guards across the moat in their towers nod agreement. (the adventure says they follow the PCs lead.). “Travelling monk, what is your name?”
“Kella Darkhope, and I’ll be leaving to get help.” Replies the monk. I was going to suggest Kella stay and help defend the village.
“Torem, help the others while I tend my wounds then we are leaving. I am loathe to leave the villagers in these wilds too long.” After I have time to wash my wounds and Spyd’s then rest beneathe the tree a while before Torem emerges and we set off. On the way I gather up my thrown rocks. (short rest spent 5d12HD now on max hits. Spyd expends all of his HD but only reaches 57hits. I could have called a Long Rest but I haven’t read ahead and am not sure if there would be consequences; just like any other player)

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”