[Goodman Games] The Isle of Dread

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

NPCDave
Stone Giant

[Goodman Games] The Isle of Dread

Post by NPCDave » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:17 pm

Goodman Games announced they will be doing a reprint of the Isle of Dread.

http://goodman-games.com/blog/2018/08/0 ... round-one/

The first big news is the announcement of the second volume in our Original Adventures Reincarnated line. The first volume, Into the Borderlands, was the biggest release in the history of Goodman Games. The reception to it continues to amaze us, and we are thrilled beyond belief. And we are very proud to announce that the second volume in the series is…drum roll please…X1: The Isle of Dread! OAR 2: The Isle of Dread will contain scans of the two original TSR publications of Isle of Dread (orange cover and blue cover editions), plus a 5E conversion, as well as interviews with original creators and other special features! We’ve also updated the mapping style of the 5E edition, so it will now feature illustrated hand-drawn maps that bring back memories of the original TSR style. Lead writer Chris Doyle and editor Tim Wadzinski return to the project after doing such a great job on OAR 1: Into the Borderlands. Into the Borderlands is back in print and available, by the way, so check your FLGS or our online store for your copy today! And Original Adventures Reincarnated 2: Isle of Dread is currently scheduled to release in November of this year! We’ll be sure to keep you updated with news about it as it gets closer.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Re: [Goodman Games] The Isle of Dread

Post by Dread Delgath » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:58 am

:shock: This is the best thing in 5e I've heard all summer! :D

...and that's after hearing all the other releases that are forthcoming for 5e.

My only worry now will be my budget. :o

(edited typo) :oops:
Last edited by Dread Delgath on Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

finarvyn
Gnoll

Post by finarvyn » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:31 pm

Yeah, I bought the "Into the Borderlands" book and loved it, so "Isle of Dread" is high on my list to buy as well. :)
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Player Since 1975
Original D&D Discussion
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:37 pm

I'm running B1 from "Into the Borderlands" for my D&D group right now. I know that this type of dungeon crawl is not what they're used to in D&D, so I explained the background for the dungeon and why I was so excited to run it again after nearly 37 years.

If I get the chance to run them through X1, that will turn into something even more epic than Tomb of Annihilation! It'll be the D&D version of Jurassic Park! ;)
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:45 pm

This is fantastic news!

This means Mystara is back in print!

Does anyone have the B1 GMG book yet? What can we expect from this book besides reprints?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

NPCDave
Stone Giant

Post by NPCDave » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:22 am

I merely perused their first offering of Into the Borderlands, but what you get with that is...
1) Two reprints of different printings of the original B1 adventure.
2) Two reprints of different printings of the original B2 adventure
3) A 5E conversion and update of both B1 and B2 combined into one campaign.

So we can expect two reprints of X1, both the blue cover printing(supporting Expert Cook rules) and the orange cover printing(supporting Expert Mentzer rules), as well as a 5E conversion and update.

What will be most interesting is whether or not they reprint the D&D Known World map that is found in both versions of X1, along with the accompanying page that first sketched out some details about the various countries found there.

The Into the Borderlands adventure campaign is designed for any setting, and I will note that while there was one sentence in the first B1 printing that explained where to set the adventure in Greyhawk, that sentence was stripped out of Goodman Games reprint. Hopefully they won't strip out the D&D Known world map and accompanying page from this new reprint.

CommanderCrud
Hobgoblin

Post by CommanderCrud » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:57 am

I checked out their Into the Borderlands at GenCon. A lot of pages for a whole lot of nothing was my opinion.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:28 am

NPCDave wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:22 am
The Into the Borderlands adventure campaign is designed for any setting, and I will note that while there was one sentence in the first B1 printing that explained where to set the adventure in Greyhawk, that sentence was stripped out of Goodman Games reprint. Hopefully they won't strip out the D&D Known world map and accompanying page from this new reprint.
I never noticed that. I'll have to take a closer look.

One thing I just thought of, is that anyone putting material out for DM's Guild are under orders not to mention any campaign except for what is currently allowed, as of right now - Forgotten Realms, Ebberon & Ravenloft.

Goodman Games, as a third party publisher is not, AFAIK hampered by DM's Guild guidelines.

Of course, IANAL, and anyone knowing anything more than I am is completely welcome to refute or debunk what I've just said here. ;)

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:47 am

Dread Delgath wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:28 am
NPCDave wrote:

One thing I just thought of, is that anyone putting material out for DM's Guild are under orders not to mention any campaign except for what is currently allowed, as of right now - Forgotten Realms, Ebberon & Ravenloft.

Goodman Games, as a third party publisher is not, AFAIK hampered by DM's Guild guidelines.

Of course, IANAL, and anyone knowing anything more than I am is completely welcome to refute or debunk what I've just said here. ;)

DM'sGuild limitations will not affect this publication. However, it is possible that WotC wants to keep its policies consistent and for that reason wants to keep other settings out of the GMG lisence as well. That might be why the reference to Greyhawk was stripped from the reprint.

X1's advantage is that it never mentions Mystara, so if the Trademark is in question, that will not be a problem. However, the map and setting descriptions clearly identifies the setting.

Now, it could also be that it is not WotC, but rather GMG who wants to keep the modules as generic as possible.

Whether the map are included or not will be very interesting indeed. I personally think it would be a terrible shame if they remove the map.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:56 am

I consider the staple-fold map of the Known World mainland to be absolutely essential to the entirety of X1.

NPCDave
Stone Giant

Post by NPCDave » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:06 am

Chris Doyle, who worked on OAR1, is the lead designer for this new version of Isle of Dread, and Goodman interviewed him about the project.

http://goodman-games.com/blog/2018/08/2 ... interview/

Sounds very promising, especially his research into the other incarnations found in 3.5 (although 4E had a bit of material on it), but no word about the D&D Known World map.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:24 pm

NPCDave wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:06 am
Chris Doyle, who worked on OAR1, is the lead designer for this new version of Isle of Dread, and Goodman interviewed him about the project.

http://goodman-games.com/blog/2018/08/2 ... interview/

Sounds very promising, especially his research into the other incarnations found in 3.5 (although 4E had a bit of material on it), but no word about the D&D Known World map.

Very interesting!

Fingers crossed for the Known World map.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:29 pm

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:54 am

49.50 + 11.95 for shipping at Amazon AND won't get it until the window of January 16th to February 1st?

Amazon is usually cheaper with S&H than my FLGS. I'll pre-order through my FLGS AND get it shortly after release date on December 14th, tyvm. :?

NPCDave
Stone Giant

Post by NPCDave » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:53 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:28 am
NPCDave wrote:
I picked this up recently when Goodman Games had a sale, and to my surprise I was wrong. The original text with suggestions of where to place in Greyhawk IS actually there, on page 27.

So odds are OAR2 The Isle of Dread, which will be out soon, will have the original D&D Known World map included...twice!

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”