Ghosts of Saltmarsh was designed by Kobold Press folks

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Ghosts of Saltmarsh was designed by Kobold Press folks

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:28 am

This just increased my interest in Ghosts of Saltmarsh. The book was designed for 5e by the fine folks at Kobold Press: Wolfgang Baur, Steve Winter, and Jon Sawatsky. When they created the Tyranny of Dragons books, they produced a special edition with signed bookplates. I wonder if they'll do the same for this one?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Ghosts of Saltmarsh was designed by Kobold Press folks

Post by Big Mac » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:07 am

Strange. Spoilers & Swag was kind of implying that Kate Welch was the driving force on this project, and now it looks like they outsourced a lot of the design work.

And when Mike Mealrs dropped the live-streamed Nentir Vale game I was under the impression he was also working on this book.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:34 pm

Great find!

I added a link to this thread in the Ghosts of Saltmarsh thread.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:22 pm

Havard wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:34 pm
Great find!

-Havard
Wouldn't it make sense to put ALL of these Ghost threads into one thread? We are talking about one product after all.

The same thing happened with the Isle of Dread and the Keep on the Borderlands threads. I went to look up a specific post and I couldn't find it because there were multiple threads scattered all over the forum, and I could not find the specific post. :roll:
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:53 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:22 pm
Havard wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:34 pm
Great find!

-Havard
Wouldn't it make sense to put ALL of these Ghost threads into one thread? We are talking about one product after all.

The same thing happened with the Isle of Dread and the Keep on the Borderlands threads. I went to look up a specific post and I couldn't find it because there were multiple threads scattered all over the forum, and I could not find the specific post. :roll:
I second this excellent idea! ;)

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:14 am

Dread Delgath wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:22 pm

The reason I didn't do that was based on the assumption that some people who may not be super interested in the book may take interest if they learn who wrote it. If I add a comment to the existing thread, only people who are following that thread will see it. But if I a create a new one, general 5e fans may scroll down the list of new topics and see something that interests them.

I totally get where you're coming from, though. Maybe the cons outweigh the pros of creating a new thread, in this case. I welcome other perspectives. If there's a clear majority, I'd be happy to handle it a different way in the future.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:34 pm

Wasn't Tyranny of Dragons considered the worst 5e adventure so far? That the same authors are working on this one doesn't give me any confidence that this adventure will be good...

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:12 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:34 pm
Wasn't Tyranny of Dragons considered the worst 5e adventure so far? That the same authors are working on this one doesn't give me any confidence that this adventure will be good...
I think Princes of the Apocalypse is often listed as the worst 5e adventure, but Tyranny of Dragons is low on the list as well. However, considering it was being written before the 5e system was complete, I view Tyranny of Dragons with a sympathetic eye. Plus, I don't run 5e games anyway, so as a fun story that I can use as the basis for a 13th Age campaign, it works better in my opinion.

CommanderCrud
Hobgoblin

Post by CommanderCrud » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:14 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:
Same here.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:34 pm

CommanderCrud wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:14 pm
Zeromaru X wrote:
Same here.
I played through the first book and didn't finished the second. Here are my thoughts on the first book :

Quoting myself
«Final evaluation :
If you are looking for a sandbox style adventure this is not for you. This is a 100% certified railroad from beginning to end. There is only one order in which the arc storyline can be played out. Normally I would be annoyed by this. But taking into account the variety of the locations, the wide variety of adventure modes, the importances of social interactions throughout the book and a geographical trek up the Sword Coast that ends in the Greypeak Mountains its a DAM BIG ADVENTURE. It's true that the opening scene can result in TPK for inexperienced DMs.»
Last edited by shesheyan on Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:37 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:
Tim Baker wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:28 am
This just increased my interest in Ghosts of Saltmarsh. The book was designed for 5e by the fine folks at Kobold Press: Wolfgang Baur, Steve Winter, and Jon Sawatsky. When they created the Tyranny of Dragons books, they produced a special edition with signed bookplates. I wonder if they'll do the same for this one?
Wolfgang Baur and Steve Winter are legends in D&D design. A single bad product(?) would not make me stay away from those. I am less familiar with Jon Sawatsy, but looks like he has done a lot of 5E and Midgard stuff for Kobold Press.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:38 pm

I'm not concerned about which house is doing the publishing, and collecting all related information regarding a specific subject (Re: Ghosts of Saltmarsh, or Keep on the Borderlands, or Isle of Dread, etc). :)

If facts scare people away from a product, then that's on them, not on revealing facts. Everyone is allowed to have opinions based on facts.

But if Bauer & Winter are writing Ghosts, then I think it should be pretty good. I honestly didn't pay attention to who wrote Tyranny of Dragons, and I don't even have the second book (Rise of Tiamat), and have never read the first too closely. (I just collected it for the items, NPC & monster stats in the back.)

...and aside from "Into the Borderlands", I've yet to run a single "adventure" for 5e, and I don't see that modus operandi changing soon, either. I place everything in a sandbox & pull what I need when the players find it. ;)

I just hope that Ghosts of Saltmarsh actually offers something new, in this case, that Princes of the Apocalypse did - if I expected a 5e treatment of Temple of Elemental Evil and they delivered Princes, then I got something new. Yay.

Same thing for Tomb of Horrors and Tomb of Annihilation - what I expected and what I got. Different. Yay. :cool:

Direct conversions were in the Yawning Portal, the quickies from DM's Guild led by Stan Shinn, and Goodman Games' homages to the B & X series (so far).
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:31 pm

Well, I was only pointing out that using Tyranny of Dragons as publicity is not a good idea. Legends or not, is obvious that they didn't understood how 5e works at the time (which is sad, because this is the only dragon-themed product 5e has so far, and is really bad).

Perhaps they have dominated 5e by now, but still Tyranny of Dragons is so bad that it kills my hype that this adventure is from the same authors.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:42 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:31 pm
Well, I was only pointing out that using Tyranny of Dragons as publicity is not a good idea. Legends or not, is obvious that they didn't understood how 5e works at the time (which is sad, because this is the only dragon-themed product 5e has so far, and is really bad).
Ah, sorry I misunderstood you earlier :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”