What can we tell from the art from the new D&D adventure?

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

What can we tell from the art from the new D&D adventure?

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:31 am

Tribality has announced that this year's big, new D&D adventure will be revealed at a streaming event in Los Angeles called The Descent. An image was released with the announcement, and I was wondering if we can glean any information based on it.

Falconer
Hill Giant

Re: What can we tell from the art from the new D&D adventure?

Post by Falconer » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:59 am

Looks like A Paladin in Hell.
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:37 am

Isn't an angel the ruler of one of the hells in the latest D&D lore? I wonder if this has any connection.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:28 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:31 am
An image was released with the announcement, and I was wondering if we can glean any information based on it.
There is that image...and more...over at the Play the New Storyline at D&D Live 2019: The Descent page on the Dungeons & Dragons website. There are three things about the reveal on the WotC page. The first clue is in the lead section:
D&D Live 2019: The Descent wrote:Fans around the world can check out twitch.tv/dnd starting at 4:00pm PT on Friday, May 17 to watch D&D Live 2019: The Descent for new product reveals and an all-star cast playing Dungeons & Dragons live.
The second clue is in the schedule:
D&D Live 2019: The Descent wrote:Image
Here is the important bit:
D&D Live 2019: The Descent wrote:Friday, May 17: 4pm: Watch the unveil of the new D&D story on Twitch.tv/DND
Finally we have this:
D&D Live 2019: The Descent wrote:Find Out the Next D&D Storyline!
Witness the live unveiling of the new D&D storyline from the studio audience on Friday, May 17 at 4pm PT. Host Anna Prosser will lead a discussion with members of the D&D Team on what’s exciting about the new adventure.
So they are talking of both a discussion hosted by Anna Prosser and a live-streamed D&D adventure, that kicks off the first of two games of "The Descent" that attendees can play in.

The first part of The Descent starts at 6pm. That gives them just two hours for an annoucement...and...the first live-streamed D&D game.

So who is going to run the game that introduces the new storyline? Lets look at the D&D Live 2019: Groups & Guests page. There are a few things there, but I'll ignore anything that is not a live-streamed D&D show. That leaves us with:
  • Dice, Camera, Action!
    The D&D team, along with some friends from the YouTube and Twitch community, host an ongoing livestream of Dungeons & Dragons, titled Dice, Camera, Action! DCA is a live play-through of D&D’s latest storylines, run by Dungeon Master extraordinaire, Chris Perkins, streaming live on the D&D Twitch channel every Tuesday at 4PM PT.
  • Dragon Friends
    Dragon Friends is a show where a bunch of idiot Australian comedians muddle their way through a Dungeons & Dragons campaign. They’ve been doing it for almost two years now and you think they'd be better at it. Featuring David Harmon, Ben Jenkins, Edan Lacey, Simon Greiner, Alex Lee, Michael Hing and an assortment of our friends from comedy and sometimes even the telly.
  • Girls Guts Glory
    Girls Guts Glory is an all-female RPG group. They've been playing D&D together for several years and have been friends even longer. All actresses living in Los Angeles, and a DM who is a television writer, they love to commit to their characters and the art of storytelling. Oh, and taking down bad guys!
  • HighRollers
    The HighRollers are a group of UK-based D&D Streamers, partnered with the YouTube gaming network The Yogscast. Mark Hulmes, voice-over and youtube creator, is the Dungeon Master and will be bringing his love for action/adventure movies to the gaming table for the Stream of Annihilation.
  • Rivals of Waterdeep
    Rivals of Waterdeep is a streaming group from the Chicago area that combines new players of D&D with experienced roleplayers to show just how easy it is to have a good time creating a story together with your friends. Members of the Spawn on Me video game discussion podcast, Brandon Stennis (Influencer Manager at Versus Evil & Twitch) and the Neon Rivals collective (Dungeon Rats, Godsfall) have joined forces to produce a weekly livestream to tell a story set in one of the most iconic cities in the Forgotten Realms.
  • Saving Throw Show: The Broken Pact
    From our popular and engaging Savage Worlds series "Wildcards" to the rambunctious insanity of "Tempting Fate," Saving Throw brings RPG content to Twitch and YouTube to help you discover, learn and enjoy RPGs in an inclusive and entertaining way. Ravnica: Broken Pact continues that tradition with an exciting cast and epic storyline! Long live RPGs!
  • Tales from the Mists
    Tales from the Mists is a moody, atmospheric D&D actual play following the exploits of four natives of the Demiplane of Dead. Traveling alongside them are mysterious guests who will do their damnedest to either help or hinder our heroes. In their wake are the burnt ruins of those who would harbor the Darklords of Ravenloft, ahead of them lies a dark destiny.… What has fate in store for them? TK Johnson is a haunting storyteller whose collaborative style as a Dungeon Master is lauded for being evocative, immersive, and engaging.
I think that all of those live-streamed shows will have early access to The Descent (and some of them might also be making DMs Guild Adept products) but I think it's a safe bet to suggest that Dice, Camera, Action!, which already has the 4pm slot on the D&D channel, will be the show that officially introduces the plot of the new D&D book.

They have one Forgotten Realms live-play show and one Ravenloft live-streamed shows, so I'm guessing those shows are going to show how they would use the new storyline with the Realms and the Demiplane of Dread. But I've got no idea what any of the other shows might do.

It looks like they have not included Maze Arcana this time. And I don't see any of the live streamed shows having an obvious connection with Ravnica...or Magic the Gathering in general. So I guess that we are not going to see specific advice in how to incorporate The Descent into Eberron or the M:tG universe.

I am also surprised that Penny Arcade/Acquisitions Inc included in the show. With a new book coming out for that, I thought that WotC and/or Penny Arcade would have been keen to suggest that people going to this show should buy both books.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:30 pm

Falconer wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:59 am
Looks like A Paladin in Hell.
Is A Paladin in Hell connected to any campaign setting? I figure it's most probably connected to Planescape. Is there any other implied link?

Would it be easy to reboot that to fit into the Realms? Would it be easy to have sidebars to tie it into other worlds...and homebrew stuff?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:31 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:37 am
Isn't an angel the ruler of one of the hells in the latest D&D lore? I wonder if this has any connection.
I don't recall hearing that.

Are you talking Unearthed Arcana or something from a book?

Falconer
Hill Giant

Post by Falconer » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:46 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:30 pm
Is A Paladin in Hell connected to any campaign setting? I figure it's most probably connected to Planescape. Is there any other implied link?
It’s a famous drawing from the 1e PHB.

There is a late-2e (WotC) module inspired by it, written by Monte Cook, and yeah, it’s Planescape, albeit with a throwback aesthetic (demons, devils, the Abyss, etc.).
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:50 pm

Great find! This is very fascinating!

Didnt they already visit some of these themes in Princes of Apocalypse?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:01 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:31 pm
Tim Baker wrote:
I don't recall hearing that.

Are you talking Unearthed Arcana or something from a book?
The fallen angel Zariel appears in Mordenkainen's Book of Foes. Her illustration and stat block in that book make it obvious that, unlike the shiny celestial in the teaser art for Descent, Zariel is far more devil than angel now.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:06 pm

Falconer wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:46 pm
Big Mac wrote:

There is a late-2e (WotC) module inspired by it, written by Monte Cook, and yeah, it’s Planescape, albeit with a throwback aesthetic (demons, devils, the Abyss, etc.).
From what I recall, there was a lot of inconsistencies behind the hell lore of this book and the actual Planescape setting if I recall. And major issues, like the whole history of hell.

I just noticed the Angel is blind or blindfolded. Could this have a Tyr connection?

Very elfin looking ears. The original eladrin?
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:08 pm

timemrick wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:01 pm
The fallen angel Zariel appears in Mordenkainen's Book of Foes. Her illustration and stat block in that book make it obvious that, unlike the shiny celestial in the teaser art for Descent, Zariel is far more devil than angel now.
Yeah, that's who I was thinking of. I didn't have my books handy. You're right: it's a completely different visual.

Last edited by Tim Baker on Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:09 pm

Seethyr wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:06 pm
I just noticed the Angel is blind or blindfolded. Could this have a Tyr connection?

Good thinking. I could see either as possibilities.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:23 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:09 pm
Seethyr wrote:

I actually hope so. I miss the “real” eladrin. Queen Morwel and such.
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:56 am

Seethyr wrote:
Falconer wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:46 pm
Big Mac wrote:

From what I recall, there was a lot of inconsistencies behind the hell lore of this book and the actual Planescape setting if I recall. And major issues, like the whole history of hell.
Sounds like I need to start a topic in the Planescape forum to discuss A Paladin in Hell. ;)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:57 am

Seethyr wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:23 pm
Tim Baker wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:09 pm
Seethyr wrote:

I actually hope so. I miss the “real” eladrin. Queen Morwel and such.
Perhaps there could be several subraces of eladrin, that all look slightly different. :?

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:33 pm

The armored figure has wings. She could be Aasimar. They were introduced in Volo's Guide iirc, and there are three types - Protector, Scourge & Fallen.

The hands outstretched do not appear as if they are attacking or casting spells, or even grasping in a menacing manner. They seem to be welcoming, enticing. Perhaps the denizens of Hell are attempting to seduce this paladin to the "Dark Side", as evil creatures of this sort are especially noted for.

The word "Descent" indicates a fall. Hrmmm?

I have no relevant opinion on the blindfold, except that an Aasimar Paladin character that is an adherent of justice could be of a sect that believes that "justice is blind". The god Tyr was mentioned above, and from what I remember, Tyr is a god of justice, correct?
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sat May 18, 2019 4:38 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Wow, I called it. That's really rare!

The new adventure, Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus, sounds pretty cool. I really dig the cover, too.
Tribality wrote: [T]he big fall storyline has been revealed as Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus. Here are the most important details:

Diabolical dangers await in this adventure for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

Welcome to Baldur’s Gate, a city of ambition and corruption situated at the crossroads of the Sword Coast. You’ve just started your adventuring career, but already find yourself embroiled in a plot that sprawls from the shadows of Baldur’s Gate to the front lines of the planes-spanning Blood War! Do you have what it takes to turn infernal war machines and nefarious contracts against the archdevil Zariel and her diabolical hordes? And can you ever hope to find your way home safely when pitted against the infinite evils of the Nine Hells?
  • Releasing on September 17, 2019
  • Levels 1 to 13
  • 256-page campaign
  • Starts with low level adventures in Baldur’s Gate (described as the Gotham of the Sword Coast)
  • Expands into massive sandbox of Avernus (1st level of Hell)
  • Rules for vehicular combat
  • Limited-edition, game store-exclusive cover by Hydro74 featuring the skull-shaped icon of Bhaal that is now inexorably linked with Baldur’s Gate.

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”