Conversion advice.

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Conversion advice.

Post by Boneguard » Sun May 05, 2019 3:44 pm

Lon story short, there is an old 1st/2nd edition era monster from the French Magazine Casus Belli, I would like to convert to 5th Edition and I was wondering if the conversion guide offered by Wizards would be sufficient or if I would require something more robust (like Coronoides' Guide).

It is a Giant race (9' tall) that thrives in cold environment, distinct enough from Frost Giants and someone already provided some pointers for their special abilities, so that help, but the variable level (2d6) affecting yhe hitpoints and damage bonus, maks it tricky.

Any pointers would be appreciated
Last edited by Boneguard on Sun May 05, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Re: Conversion advice.

Post by Kythkyn » Sun May 05, 2019 5:37 pm

Honest advice is convert the intention and the essence, not the stats. The stats aren't as clear cut between games or editions as they sometimes look at first glance. And shoehorning in things to make it work is a bad idea always. So look at the core of the creature and rebuild it in the new edition from the ground up
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sun May 05, 2019 9:06 pm

My guide is for creating PC races. If you want to make a PC race I’m always here to help.
I have found the rules for creating monsters in the 5e DMG sufficient to recreate many 2e monsters and NPCs for my Council of Wryms project. Kythkyn’s advice is good. I’d also add where possible re-use existing monster traits.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Sun May 05, 2019 9:41 pm

@Coronoides

At this point it will be more of an NPCRace/Monster, but if It does evolve into a PC race, I'll definitely come and see you if I need help...and likely get your guide too.

@Both

Thank you, for the pointers.

I agree that sticking to the essence of the race is the best course of action, and I had not thought about that, but reusing existing traits or even monster chassis is a good idea and likely easier to manage.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Mon May 06, 2019 9:29 pm

Boneguard wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:41 pm
I agree that sticking to the essence of the race is the best course of action, and I had not thought about that, but reusing existing traits or even monster chassis is a good idea and likely easier to manage.
Reskinning monsters tends to be pretty easy in 5E, and can save you a lot of work in converting monsters or creating your own.

In my blog post about converting Death in Freeport to 5E, I was able to suggest quick-and-dirty, but reasonably faithful, conversions for every monster and NPC in the adventure without needing to build a single one from scratch. I even found existing monsters to modify to make serviceable serpent people by changing a few traits, which I hadn't expected to be so easy when I started that experiment. (If I ever tackle the second and third part of that trilogy, I expect conversions to get progressively harder!)
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Tue May 07, 2019 8:39 am

What is the monsters name?

Being from Casus Belli, it may already have been ported into D&D or AD&D and then converted somewhere along the way.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Tue May 07, 2019 11:24 am

Morfie wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:39 am
What is the monsters name?

Being from Casus Belli, it may already have been ported into D&D or AD&D and then converted somewhere along the way.
It's the Gzar, and they were not able to reach the creator of this monster, so it did not get converted (At least not officially) by BBE foe either 3rd/COF OR 5e/H&D.

Edit:
The AD&D run down was: a 9'+ tall russet-color furred giant roaming in pack on 1d4+2.

AC 5, move 14, HP 2d6 x D12 HP, Dam 3d4+[Hit Dice-5/min 0] Bonus damage (remove extremity on max damage), Fear ( save every one -1 to hit on a fail cumulative, flee on the 5th failure), Cold resistant (+4 to save, 1/4 dam on success 1/2 of fail) double damage from fire.

Adaptations suggestion from the guy who updated that setting officially to 5th:
AVERAGE intelligence (Average+ for leaders)
DEATH CHANT (double the fear effect) [used by veteran warrior sacrificing themselves to allow others to flee]
15% magic resistance except fire spells
Difficult to track.

So I thought, start with something Ogre sized (or hill giant), look at Frost Giant for some of the innate resistance to cold/weakness to fire. The fear should be relatively straight forward, maybe drop the damage bonus mechanic an amputation ability. And maybe offer a 2-3HD novice, a 7HD warrior and a 11-12HD veteran to emularpte the variable HD.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Wed May 08, 2019 2:55 am

If you could provide me with a bit more info I could possibly help you out.

- Any idea of what alignment the Gzar are?
- Any comment on what their ability scores might be like? For instance, are they known to be exceptionally strong for their size, or smart, tough, etc.?
- What common weapons or armor do they use, if any? Shields?
- Any other bits that might be useful?

I tried to find some info online but came up nil (or in French). But, I think that with a bit more info I can provide a first draft of a conversion that you can help me tweak.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Wed May 08, 2019 2:13 pm

Hugin wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 2:55 am
If you could provide me with a bit more info I could possibly help you out.

- Any idea of what alignment the Gzar are?
- Any comment on what their ability scores might be like? For instance, are they known to be exceptionally strong for their size, or smart, tough, etc.?
- What common weapons or armor do they use, if any? Shields?
- Any other bits that might be useful?

I tried to find some info online but came up nil (or in French). But, I think that with a bit more info I can provide a first draft of a conversion that you can help me tweak.
There isn't much on them, I'll compile all the official information (and provide a translation) in a word document on my GDrive, it should help get a better idea of what we are working with.

For the othet question, the alignment is unknown, however they will take women and children as prisoner (slave or sacrifice?) But not man. A capture Gzar will let himself die rather than live be captive and, as mention above, if a battle turn bad; the veteran will sacrifice themselves to allow others to escape. So with that Good and Chaotic seems to be out.

I'll pull out the 2 images we have on them, but being about the size of an ogre or small hill giant, that would likely be a good place to start. Intelligence as been described as AVERAGE and the description say "the sight of a Gzar causes a Fear effect" (either physically imposing or particularly hideous).

A scimitar is the only explicitly mention equipment IIRC.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Wed May 08, 2019 9:06 pm

That's a great start, Boneguard. Thanks.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Wed May 08, 2019 11:51 pm

Here is the document so far.

In it you have the early AD&D (1st ed) story element and Statistics found in the a 1983 and a 1984 Casus Belli magazines, as well as some Precision points for the Héros and Dragons system (a French derivitive based on the DD5 Systems Reference Document (SRD)). I've put the english translation as notes. Thus aligning them better with the bit they refer to.

I have 1 more source to canvas (the H&D Campaign Setting) but it is exclusively fluff so less urgent.
Last edited by Boneguard on Thu May 09, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Thu May 09, 2019 4:34 am

Alright, I have something started. I want to play around with ideas for the extra damage and the fear effect, but it's late. I'll hopefully get to work with it some more tomorrow and post a draft version.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Thu May 09, 2019 12:51 pm

Cool, I've also started working on something, mostly ideas atm, but, I'll also work out a draft and post it and them we can compare.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Thu May 09, 2019 3:14 pm

[Alignment] Large Giant
Armour Class: 15 (Breast Plate)
Hit Points: 152 (16D10+64)
Speed: 35 feet

STR - 20(+5)
DEX - 12(+1)
CON - 19(+4)
INT - 10(+0)
WIS
CHA

Saving Throws:
Skills:
Resistance to damage:
Vulnerability to Damage:
Sense:
Languages:

Challenge Rating: 8 (3,900 XP)

ABILITIES

ACTIONS
Multiple attack The Giant attacks twice with his scimitar
War Scimitar melee attack: +9 to hit, reach 10 feet, one target
Hit 16 (3d6+5) slashing damage

This is what I got so far.

Since he is about 10 feet tall I put it large (rather than very large like most Giants) which leads me to a slight issue for the weapon which, If I want to keep the scimitar is underpar for the damage expected for this CR (Even after adding the "Brutal" quality) - Roughly 18 points below what is expected.

A coule options I've been considering:
- Give it 3 attacks per round - This would give it an average damage of 48, 2 below what would be expected for the CR (so close enough)
- Reskin a Long Sword into a War Scimitar - this would give me a bit of a damage boost, but still 12 under (7 if 2 handed) that what would be expected.
- Increasing the size to Very Large would gain me the same results as the Reskinned Long Sword (minus the 2 handed ability)

I'll pounder this as I go

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Fri May 10, 2019 4:30 am

That's a good start, boneguard. I have my attempt here, and will makes comments below it for discussion.

GZAR
Large giant, neutral evil
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Armour Class 14 (natural armour)
Hit Points 76 (9d10 + 27)
Speed 40 ft.
STR|DEX|CON|INT|WIS|CHA
18 (+4)|12 (+1)|17 (+3)|10 (+0)|11 (+0)|12 (+1)
Saving Throws Con +5, Cha +3
Skills Stealth +3, Nature +0
Vulnerabilities fire
Damage Resistances cold
Senses passive Perception 10
Languages Gzar
Challenge 3 (700 XP)

Terror Chant. The gzar can use a bonus action to vocalize a magical chant. Any creature other than a gzar, that can hear the chant and is within 60 feet of the chanting gzar, must succeed on a DC 13 Wisdom saving throw or be frightened until the end of the gzar's next turn.

Death Chant. The gzar can use a bonus action to vocalize a magical chant. Any creature other than a gzar, that can hear the chant and is within 30 feet of the chanting gzar, must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or be magically compelled to duel it for one minute, even if the gzar dies.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The Gzar makes two scimitar attacks. If both attacks hit the same target this round, the target takes an additional 7 (2d6) slashing damage.

Scimitar. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, range ft., one target.
Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) slashing damage.

- Alignment is a real guess on my part as I'm not very familiar with this race. However, based on what I have read, this is possible. I have also thought about full-on neutral.

- AC; I went with natural armour as the thought occured to me that with their vulnerability to fire and even sensativity to warmth, I don't see them forging any metal armours. Of course, that begs the question, "where are they getting the scimitars from?". Hmm, might have to think about this some more.

- Hit Dice and speed has been determined simply by looking at other giants around this CR level.

- Attributes are always tough to come by. STR at 18 is equal to a troll and just under an ogre. I don't see them as being as brutish or strong as an ogre and they seem to be right around the same height. The sources seem to indicate that they are "quick and extremely mobile" so I gave them DEX 12. CON 17 as they seem very tough - could be even higher.

- CR 3; I intend that this version is the middle-of-the-road one, as their HD originally ranged from 2-12. We could easily make a low-range and a high-range version as well.

- The Chants; While I was thinking of the 'Fear by Seeing' approach at first, I thought it might be interesting to leverage the Death Chant by making the fear mechanism a chant as well. Being frightened simply by looking at the Gzar didn't feel right to me. It seems reserved for truly powerful creatures and magical effects. So, my version uses a magical chant to create in non-Gzars. Then they also have a different chant that compels others to fight them (I was thinking of the Compelled Duel spell). The main feature is that the effect persists even after the Gzar dies. Believe it or not, but the bardic inspiration provided the inspiration for this idea.

- To impliment the bonus damage I used the clause in the multiattack. Instead of the original version's hacking a limb on max damage, I went with additional damage if both attacks hit in a round. I also considered an increased critical hit range (like the Fighter class' Champion martial archetype) and the bugbear's Brute trait (which I believe you used).

Anyway, there's my first stab at it.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Fri May 10, 2019 1:37 pm

Hugin wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:30 am
That's a good start, boneguard. I have my attempt here, and will makes comments below it for discussion.

[loads of goodies - Removed to keep the quote short.]

Anyway, there's my first stab at it.
I like your take on it. Different route than mine and I think there might be a way to meet in the middle.

As a note: the original adventure was for a party of 5-8 of level 5-7.

With that in mind I thought more around a CR 5 to 10 giant (the triceratops is a CR5 creature), to bring a challenge. Maybe 8 is a bit too high, so I could use it for veteran Gzar or a leader instead of your average line man... as a thought, maybe bring it closer to a CR5 for them, and the CR3 for novices Gzar.

Alignment: I was kind of leaning towards LN with Evil Tendency myself as they seem to have a strong community sense and protecting their own.

Attributes: I was considering a Wisdom of 12, but we are on the same line here. I was seeing it on the other side of the scale, about ogre-sized and a bit weaker than the Hill giants. But yeah, it's a bit tricky to find a good balance.

The chants and the bonus damage are really intersting, you kept the flavor of the original but offered an alternate mechanic that works well.

I won't have a chance to get into it until my next day off (Monday). But I will give me time to think about it and try to refine the concept in my mind.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Mon May 13, 2019 3:35 am

Boneguard wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:37 pm
I like your take on it. Different route than mine and I think there might be a way to meet in the middle.
Thanks.

With that in mind I thought more around a CR 5 to 10 giant (the triceratops is a CR5 creature), to bring a challenge. Maybe 8 is a bit too high, so I could use it for veteran Gzar or a leader instead of your average line man... as a thought, maybe bring it closer to a CR5 for them, and the CR3 for novices Gzar.
At first I thought that the party levels of 5-7 seemed much stronger than the Gzar's 2-12 Hit Dice. Given that, my version's CR of 3 is quite light.

However, I'm thinking we need to include their triceratop mounts in the overall challenge level. PCs facing some mounted Gzar, with a higher CR leader Gzar, could certainly be challenged at levels 5-7. I'll do up the triceratops too for consideration. Actually, normal triceratops alone are CR 5.
Alignment: I was kind of leaning towards LN with Evil Tendency myself as they seem to have a strong community sense and protecting their own.
I could see that as well, and even considered it. Alignment can be so hard to pin down since it is a generalization. Maybe even "any lawful".
The chants and the bonus damage are really intersting, you kept the flavor of the original but offered an alternate mechanic that works well.
Thanks, again. I find, and is therefore my conversion philosophy, that it is usually best to look at the desired flavour and then find the best 5E mechanics that can be used for that flavour. This is opposed to creating unique mechanisms (within 5E's framework) that directly match the original version of the creature.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Mon May 13, 2019 1:26 pm

Hugin wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 3:35 am

At first I thought that the party levels of 5-7 seemed much stronger than the Gzar's 2-12 Hit Dice. Given that, my version's CR of 3 is quite light.

However, I'm thinking we need to include their triceratop mounts in the overall challenge level. PCs facing some mounted Gzar, with a higher CR leader Gzar, could certainly be challenged at levels 5-7. I'll do up the triceratops too for consideration. Actually, normal triceratops alone are CR 5.
The triceratops are described as bring a bit smaller and have silver fur (and Resistance to Cold). Their AC was better (0 instead of 2/6) but had 12HD instead of 16HD). So likely on par so I think a CR5 for them still fits the bill.

I see what you mean, throw in a couple CR5+CRx duo and it won't be long for a level 5 party to be overwhelmed. So yeah a CR3 giant might be more accurate and have the leader or Champion as CR5 or so for a tougher opponent.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Mon May 13, 2019 11:44 pm

I was mulling this over today and the more I think about it, maybe I should look at Giant-Kin rather the true Giants for the power level, hell I'm wondering if a smarter, strong ogre-kin with a CR 3-5/6 range might not be a bad idea, with the triceratops that could prove a good challenge for for mid level parties.

pawsplay
Troll

Post by pawsplay » Tue May 21, 2019 2:39 pm

The variable Hit Dice is an interesting gimmick, and also provides a variable level of Strength. However, the description doesn't make any particular mention of leader types. I would probably just create an "average" gzar. Given their d12s for hit points, I think they should be durable. As a naive estimate, 2d6 x d12s yields an average of 45 hit points. I might assume that as a starting place, or just take the average number of hit dice (7) as typical, regardless. I don't like the idea of them being weaker than ogres. With an average +2 to damage, they would be a little stronger than what I would consider typical (14) for a Large creature, so Strength 18 works. Agile, so average to above average Dex. The high morale suggests above average Wis and Cha. Their movement rate is the same as human average, but most giants had that back then, so a standard "giant" movement rate does not seem out of order. For armor, I would just take whatever matches their given AC; AC 5 in the original to me suggests AC 15 in 5e. The use of a scimitar to me suggests a shield; I think hide armor hits the sweet spot. The fear effect is their signature gimmick but seems odd to me in 5e; I'm inclined to make it similar to dragon's fearsome presence or just drop it. Their limb-severing ability doesn't have a precise equivalent, but since it happens rarely (1/4 times 1/4 times 1/4) it makes me think of the balor's enhanced critical hits. It's interesting to me that rangers don't get a damage bonus; this makes me ponder whether they should be something other than a giant, but I think it's just because they are smaller and weaker than most giants (but this approach does raise questions about ogres).

Initial thoughts,

GZAR
Large giant, neutral
Hit points 66 (7d10 + 28)
AC 15 (hide, shield)
Speed 40 ft.

Str 18, Dex 12, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 12
Skills Perception +3
Senses passive Perception 13
Damage Resistances cold
Damage Vulnerabilities fire

Actions
Multiattack. The gzar makes two scimitar attacks.
Scimitar. Melee Weapon Attack, To Hit: +6, Damage 11 (2d6 + 4) slashing. On a critical hit, a gzar deals triple damage with its scimitar, rather than double.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Wed May 22, 2019 7:11 pm

So I've reworked it a little bit and came up with a CR 4 creature as the Average Warrior (I might do a CR 2/3 Novice and a CR 5/6 Veteran/leader and might add a Druidic variant). CC and suggestion would be appreaciated.

I've kept Hugin's Death Chant and the additional damage if both attach hits, they feel right. I've added a Frightning Appearance, combining some of Hugin's suggestion with the older suggested mechanic...not sure if it would work well of if it would be too clunky.

I'm debating adding the 15% Magical resistance (except fire spell) but that might force the CR to increase (so might keep it for Veteran and leaders) and I'm debating adding a Hard to Track Ability which would force a Disavantage when tracking them. But not sure if Overkill with the Stealth and Survival.

Neutral Evil Large Giant
Armour Class: 15 (Chain Shirt)
Hit Points: 95 (10D10+40)
Speed: 35 feet

STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
19(+4) 12(+1) 19(+4) 10(+0) 12(+1) 12(+1)

Saving Throws: Constitution +7
Skills: Stealth +4, Survival +4
Resistance to damage: Fire
Vulnerability to Damage: Cold
Sense: Perception (11)
Languages: Gzar
Challenge Rating: 4 (1,100 XP)

ABILITIES

ACTIONS
Multiple attack The Giant attacks twice with his scimitar. If both attacks hit the same target this round, the target takes an additional 7 (2d6) slashing damage.

War Scimitar melee attack: +9 to hit, reach 10 feet, one target
Hit 16 (3d6+5) slashing damage

Frightning Appareance Any creatures other than a Gzar that is within 60’ of a Gzar must succeed a DC 13 (or DC 18 if performing his Death Chant) Wisdom Saving Throw or be frightened until the end of the gzar's next turn. A new Saving Throw must be done every turn and the creatures must flee on the 5th failed Saving Throw.

Death Chant. The gzar can use a bonus action to vocalize a magical chant. Any creature other than a gzar, that can hear the chant and is within 30 feet of the chanting gzar, must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or be magically compelled to duel it for one minute, even if the gzar dies

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Thu May 23, 2019 3:58 pm

Looking really good, Boneguard! Here are some thoughts;
Boneguard wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:11 pm
I'm debating adding the 15% Magical resistance (except fire spell) but that might force the CR to increase (so might keep it for Veteran and leaders)...
I would suggest, in order to keep the consistency with 5E mechanics, that you use Magic Resistance (advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects) instead. You could add in the exception against fire, of course.
...and I'm debating adding a Hard to Track Ability which would force a Disavantage when tracking them. But not sure if Overkill with the Stealth and Survival.
Perhaps Hard to Track could allow the gzar to have advantage when using Stealth in snow and ice as a contest roll against someone attempting to track them. The gzar's Stealth check result becomes the DC for the tracker's Survival check to track them. I realize the different is basically non-existent, but it is usually better to have a trait affect the creature that has it, rather than others.
These are reversed. ;)
War Scimitar
I believe I mentioned this before, but here's a lore question for you, "How do the gzar create metal arms and armour when they are so sensitive to heat". The answer to this question could provide a very interesting aspect of the gzars. Or perhaps they aren't made from metal but something else entirely. Anyway, I think it might be worth exploring.
Frightning Appareance ...and the creatures must flee on the 5th failed Saving Throw.
This is more of a nit pick really, but in the interest of keeping mechanics "clean", I think this part is likely unnecessary. The fail rate is only about 50% at that DC for many PCs, which means there's only ~3% chance of this happening (i.e. 5 failures in a row). Coupled with the fact that most combats don't go past 5 rounds, I think the chance of this ever happening in play is extremely minuscule. Something to consider.

I hope that helps!

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Thu May 23, 2019 4:35 pm

Hugin wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:58 pm
Looking really good, Boneguard! Here are some thoughts;
Boneguard wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:11 pm
I'm debating adding the 15% Magical resistance (except fire spell) but that might force the CR to increase (so might keep it for Veteran and leaders)...
I would suggest, in order to keep the consistency with 5E mechanics, that you use Magic Resistance (advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects) instead. You could add in the exception against fire, of course.
This would be a better route yes, might increase the DC to 5, but no harm there.
...and I'm debating adding a Hard to Track Ability which would force a Disavantage when tracking them. But not sure if Overkill with the Stealth and Survival.
Perhaps Hard to Track could allow the gzar to have advantage when using Stealth in snow and ice as a contest roll against someone attempting to track them. The gzar's Stealth check result becomes the DC for the tracker's Survival check to track them. I realize the different is basically non-existent, but it is usually better to have a trait affect the creature that has it, rather than others.
Ok yeah, I see what you mean, the effect remains more or less the same, but is centered on the Gzar and not the opponent removing 1 variable.

The way I saw it, was imposing a disadvantage on the opponent would counter any advantage thry might have, but realistically how often would that come into play?
These are reversed. ;)
I was going to fast, I'll flip them back over.
War Scimitar
I believe I mentioned this before, but here's a lore question for you, "How do the gzar create metal arms and armour when they are so sensitive to heat". The answer to this question could provide a very interesting aspect of the gzars. Or perhaps they aren't made from metal but something else entirely. Anyway, I think it might be worth exploring.
Interesting question. They are shown with metal gear in image, so I could see a could options.
- Trade with Frost Giant, have their smith do the work for you
- Slave labour
- Cold Iron, could be an option. It's not pretty but it works.
- Some "desensitized" themselves to fire and works as Smith's.
- Use of other material.

Something to ponder and maybe look into other race that are vulnerable to fire and see what they do instead.
Frightning Appareance ...and the creatures must flee on the 5th failed Saving Throw.
This is more of a nit pick really, but in the interest of keeping mechanics "clean", I think this part is likely unnecessary. The fail rate is only about 50% at that DC for many PCs, which means there's only ~3% chance of this happening (i.e. 5 failures in a row). Coupled with the fact that most combats don't go past 5 rounds, I think the chance of this ever happening in play is extremely minuscule. Something to consider.

I hope that helps!
Fair enough, the odds of occurring are pretty low indeed and wouldn't ad much that could be removed easily and not change much to the game.

It does help a lot, thank you. It's my first try at 5th ed creation/conversion, so I'm bound to miss a few obvious point.

Another thing I was considering was giving them the Ability to see clearly in the dark, mainly as a species living up north where the sun barely shine in winter, it just make good sense they would see clearly in the dark.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Thu May 23, 2019 7:17 pm

Boneguard wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:35 pm
Interesting question. They are shown with metal gear in image, so I could see a could options.
- Trade with Frost Giant, have their smith do the work for you
- Slave labour
- Cold Iron, could be an option. It's not pretty but it works.
- Some "desensitized" themselves to fire and works as Smith's.
- Use of other material.

Something to ponder and maybe look into other race that are vulnerable to fire and see what they do instead.
The reason I brought this up isn't simply because of the vulnerability to fire, but because of this comment from your shared doc (thanks by the way!), "They dislike temperature above 15C/59F (beyond 8C/46F, it’s a heatwave for them)". That puts the gzar, in my mind anyway, in a whole other tier of heat sensitivity!

That said, you've already started with some good ideas.
Another thing I was considering was giving them the Ability to see clearly in the dark, mainly as a species living up north where the sun barely shine in winter, it just make good sense they would see clearly in the dark.
Agreed. Darkvision of some range seems appropriate. Remember, though, that while the darkvision may have a limited ranged, they can still see normally (given some light) to a theoretically unlimited range beyond the darkvision range.

pawsplay
Troll

Post by pawsplay » Sun May 26, 2019 7:19 pm

I generally don't like giving darkvision to above-ground creatures unless they are nocturnal predators.

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”