House Rule: Spending Hit Dice as Action Points/Inspiration

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

House Rule: Spending Hit Dice as Action Points/Inspiration

Post by Havard » Mon May 13, 2019 2:39 pm

What do you think about allowing players to spend Hit Dice to gain rerolls the way Inspiration works?

HD would still be regained only by Long Rests as in the standard rules.

I haven't actually tried this in play, but I'm considering it, mostly for one-shot type play.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: House Rule: Spending Hit Dice as Action Points/Inspiration

Post by shesheyan » Mon May 13, 2019 2:47 pm

Would that replace Inspiration re-rolls or both an extra option?

I'm not sure I like it. Players might try to horde their HDs and use them only against the BOSS. Which will lead them to complain that they need healing potions to heal their wounds.

Also, Inspiration feels balanced because the player has to role-play to regain his IP. With daily HDs, re-roll become an automatic currency. Not the same effect on the game system.

capnskillet7
Goblin

Post by capnskillet7 » Mon May 13, 2019 2:54 pm

I don't really like using hit dice as rerolls, but I would like to see more uses for hit dice. I was working with a player to develop a subclass of the rogue called the physician. One of the mechanics required a player to spend a hit die to get healing. I would perhaps allow a player to use their inspiration to regain a hit die in battle instead of advantage on a roll.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon May 13, 2019 5:54 pm

I think it would work for one-shots as long as you predicted that the re-rolls would likely get spent on the boss battle. Plan accordingly.

Like with any house rule, I always recommend playtesting if possible. Otherwise, be up front about house rules being candidates for change or removal. Not a big deal for a one-shot, perhaps, but important for longer adventures.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon May 13, 2019 5:59 pm

I'd consider using it as if it were a dose of Bardic Inspiration: +d-whatever-averages-your-proficiency-bonus, but not allow a re-roll. That's what the Luck feat or Halfling ability is for.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Mon May 13, 2019 11:06 pm

An intriguing idea, but I would probably say that Hit Points should be used instead, and kludge together some sort of wound penalties system to use alongside this, so that the consequence of overusing Action Points becomes an inability to succeed without using them. Using the dice instead of the points is too likely to be inconsequential, since they only matter if the team takes rests between multiple encounters.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sat May 18, 2019 10:15 pm

I like this. I don't use Inspiration as the game insists, however, if someone asks if it is available, I usually say yes, and have that player make up something on the spot that allows it.

They have to make up something like, "I notice the loose gravel underfoot, so I strike at the orc boss in such a way that it looses its footing!" Yeah, something simple like that.

Using Hit Dice this way is also a good excuse to use them up instead of rolling for hit points during a rest. THAT is what all those clerical healing spells & healing potions are for! ;)
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

CommanderCrud
Hobgoblin

Post by CommanderCrud » Sun May 19, 2019 12:21 pm

I also will give advantage for quick creative thinking, as with the gravel example above. I never give inspiration for roleplay, but do sometimes as a magical effect. Last time, for example, when the players drank from an enchanted fountain.

I do long rest is 5 downtime days, short rest is 8 hours of rest including sleep. I also allow players to spend one hit die immediately after a battle as a "quick rest" of catching your breath, but they can only spend one and only immediately after a battle if they take a few minutes.

With undead feeling totally gimped in 5e to me, I always add an extra effect to undead hits, usually hit die drain, or sometimes gaining exhaustion.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun May 19, 2019 12:23 pm

Havard wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:39 pm
What do you think about allowing players to spend Hit Dice to gain rerolls the way Inspiration works?

HD would still be regained only by Long Rests as in the standard rules.

I haven't actually tried this in play, but I'm considering it, mostly for one-shot type play.

-Havard
What about something akin to the Year Zero Engine's "push" concept: rerolling at the cost/risk of condition? Sacrificing available Hit Dice might also work, though things might get ridiculous at higher levels..... :|
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun May 19, 2019 1:09 pm

Good input everyone.

I think the risk here is offering too many rerolls, especially at higher levels. I do like the idea of spending HD on a wide range of things, but I would have to find a way to limit it.

I'm toying with the idea of cards that can be given to a player at times and may be activated by spending a HD. One effect might be to gain inspiration, but I could have other effects as well.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”