Reusing Art becoming too common

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Seethyr
Couatl

Reusing Art becoming too common

Post by Seethyr » Sun May 19, 2019 10:24 pm

Overall, I have to say I am smitten with the products that have come out for 5e. My complaints are minimal, but this is one that’s bothering me a bit and I’m wondering if you’re noticing the same thing.

I just picked up Ghosts of Saltmarsh purely for the reading enjoyment (not going to be able to play it with my group without quite a bit of alterations). I’ve noticed there really is just too much art that’s been reused. Perusing it now there’s a mud mephit, deep scion, sea hag, some jellyfish... Overall the artwork is fantastic and there is plenty of new pieces, but this bothers me a little.
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Reusing Art becoming too common

Post by Havard » Sun May 19, 2019 10:26 pm

Seethyr wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:24 pm
Overall, I have to say I am smitten with the products that have come out for 5e. My complaints are minimal, but this is one that’s bothering me a bit and I’m wondering if you’re noticing the same thing.

I just picked up Ghosts of Saltmarsh purely for the reading enjoyment (not going to be able to play it with my group without quite a bit of alterations). I’ve noticed there really is just too much art that’s been reused. Perusing it now there’s a mud mephit, deep scion, sea hag, some jellyfish... Overall the artwork is fantastic and there is plenty of new pieces, but this bothers me a little.
Reminds me of the later days of TSR where art was being reused even for covers.

Does the reused art you mention come from earlier 5E books or also from previous editions?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Sun May 19, 2019 10:51 pm

I need to do a bit of research but I’m 99% sure it’s within this edition. The deep scion and mud mephit for certain.
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun May 19, 2019 11:45 pm

WotC did plenty of art recycling in 3E, not sure of 4E though.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri May 24, 2019 10:25 pm

I saw that they used the same monster artwork from the MM and other monster sources like Volo's Guide, but I don't think they're re-using art to save money, I think they used the existing art so DMs & players will identify those monsters easier.

It would have been nice to see new art for those monsters, but the cost of acquiring or contracting new artwork may have precluded additional content that we may otherwise have never seen.

I will always be in favor of more gameable content vs. new art that is pretty to look at (and player reference), but of minimal use to me at my table. :cool:
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”