Collection of 5e house rules

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Collection of 5e house rules

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:23 am

I'm always on the lookout for fun house rules for D&D. Here's a list from @OnlyPlayWizards that has several ideas that I would use in a game. https://onlyplaywizards.com/2018/03/05/ ... use-rules/

What are your thoughts on using house rules? Can they help keep your group happy with a particular system longer? Do they make it tough to play the same system from one table to another due to inconsistencies? Are they a good example of 5e's explicit "rulings, not rules" mentality?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Collection of 5e house rules

Post by Havard » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:15 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:23 am
I'm always on the lookout for fun house rules for D&D. Here's a list from @OnlyPlayWizards that has several ideas that I would use in a game. https://onlyplaywizards.com/2018/03/05/ ... use-rules/

What are your thoughts on using house rules? Can they help keep your group happy with a particular system longer? Do they make it tough to play the same system from one table to another due to inconsistencies? Are they a good example of 5e's explicit "rulings, not rules" mentality?
Very interesting!

I'm not sure I would use all of these House Rules, but just seeing how someone would make changes to the system is useful in my opinon.

Injuries is something that I might want to add to a certain type of games. They sort of address some of the issues I have with HP being so easy to regain in 5E compared to pre 4E editions unless you add a certain urgency to your games.

I will also be tweaking how Inspiration works in my game, but I don't think I will allow it to stack with advantage as that site suggests. I do agree with them that the biggest issue with Inspiration is how easy it is to forget its there.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: Collection of 5e house rules

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:59 pm

Havard wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:15 pm
I will also be tweaking how Inspiration works in my game, but I don't think I will allow it to stack with advantage as that site suggests. I do agree with them that the biggest issue with Inspiration is how easy it is to forget its there.
Physical tokens that are handed out to the players help, whether you use RAW inspiration or a house ruled variant.

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”