[5e] What is your favorite illustration in the PHB?

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

[5e] What is your favorite illustration in the PHB?

Post by shesheyan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:50 am

Personally I really like the Monk on page 76.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Re: [5e] What is your favorite illustration in the PHB?

Post by Hugin » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:43 am

For the most part, I really like the art used with 5E.

And I can't pick just one. I love the wizard on page 112. It's a very refreshing take on what a wizard's outfit could look like if from a different culture. There's something about the way the wizard is looking at you that seems so interesting to me.

The next is page 199 of the wizard holding a mushroom while sifting through the pages of a tome on his lap. It shows the mundane monotiny that lies behind the fantastical arcane arts, and yet it fuels my imagination and I find it so intriguing.

Lastly is page 286 showing the web spell in action. In my mind I see it as paused moment of a movie scene. Love it.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:51 am

The condition doodles at the back of the book.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:36 am

RobJN wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:51 am
The condition doodles at the back of the book.
Those are really well drawn and hilarious! In my top ten of the PHB. They used them in the DM screen too.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:45 am

Hugin wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:43 am
For the most part, I really like the art used with 5E.

And I can't pick just one. I love the wizard on page 112. It's a very refreshing take on what a wizard's outfit could look like if from a different culture. There's something about the way the wizard is looking at you that seems so interesting to me.

The next is page 199 of the wizard holding a mushroom while sifting through the pages of a tome on his lap. It shows the mundane monotiny that lies behind the fantastical arcane arts, and yet it fuels my imagination and I find it so intriguing.

Lastly is page 286 showing the web spell in action. In my mind I see it as paused moment of a movie scene. Love it.
It was very hard for me just to choose one. That wizard (p112) is really intriguing. The other two you mention are some of the best full page illustration of the book. The Prismatic Spray on page 268 is my favorite full page.

The Barbarian intimidating the guard on page 179 is another one I really like. Very Leiberesque.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:23 pm

I'll say that though much of the art is not entirely to my personal taste, it is still frickin' gorgeous. The disproportionately big heads and scrawny/stubby legs on the halflings is just.... no. They got a bit closer to the mark with the gnomes, but what is with dem hips on the one on page 176..?

Some of the pieces seem to be missing something. The fighter on page 148, fighting the skeleton..? It's a great work, and I wish they hadn't obscured it with tables. Likewise with the "Barkskin" illustration -- it's a great piece, I like how the lines imply a sense of motion to it.... but I'd like to've seen it in its entirety in the book, rather than have it chopped off by the edge of the page.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:45 pm

RobJN wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:23 pm
I'll say that though much of the art is not entirely to my personal taste, it is still frickin' gorgeous. The disproportionately big heads and scrawny/stubby legs on the halflings is just.... no. They got a bit closer to the mark with the gnomes, but what is with dem hips on the one on page 176..?

Some of the pieces seem to be missing something. The fighter on page 148, fighting the skeleton..? It's a great work, and I wish they hadn't obscured it with tables. Likewise with the "Barkskin" illustration -- it's a great piece, I like how the lines imply a sense of motion to it.... but I'd like to've seen it in its entirety in the book, rather than have it chopped off by the edge of the page.
Every edition has one illustration that 99% of players hate. The halfling is that one for me too. I read somewhere they were trying to make an non-tolkien looking halfling. It looks like a «design by committee» result... :facepalm:

Page 148 : It should have been slightly smaller on the page to show the rest of the exploding skull. Sometimes the graphic designers forget that with binding, part of the illustration gets lost because of a large page count. The table on page 149 doesn't hide anything from the illustration on page 148.

torkill13
Hobgoblin

Post by torkill13 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:51 am

My vote goes for the drow wizard on page 200, with 199 as close second. Honestly, I am not blown away by most of the art in the PHB. I can' put my finger on it, but something feels off about most of it. The DMG on the other hand, I am not even sure I could pick my top 5 for the other post.

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”