Has your interest in 5E changed?

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Re: Has your interest in 5E changed?

Post by Dread Delgath »

shesheyan wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:10 am
From what I read part of your problem are some of the players, not the system. I've had rules lawyers and optimizers in every campaign since my first games with B/X. I talk to them on the side and if they don't want to understand that for me and the other players D&D is a roleplaying game first and foremost, I tell them not to come again.
I agree with you somewhat. Some of the problem lies with the players, and I am ultimately responsible, not the edition. However, I feel that 5e's "Three Pillars" aren't enough to entice all players into treating the fantasy world as symbiotic. BX era D&D at least had rules for high level characters running strongholds, and that's a big enticement to get invested once this concept is shown as a reachable goal.

I actually have proven this is possible in my 5e "Into the Borderlands" campaign as I nudge them into leadership roles and refurbishing Quasqueton as their base of operations, but some players are still intent of burning bridges as they cross them, rather than play if there are no consequences for treating NPCs badly because of character levels and the abilities they possess over 0 level NPCs.

Do I expect them to be LG heroes? No, but even Neutral and Evil NPCs agree to grease palms when it benefits them. This is something that most of my players refuse to do on a regular basis.

Yeah, its a great time to take an extended break from gaming altogether. Maybe the money I save by living in the middle of nowhere can be spent on more fruitful endeavors, such as buying a skype capable laptop, or saving up for GaryCon or North Texas Con. :cool:
“Did I do anything wrong today, or has the world always been like this and I've been too wrapped up in myself to notice?”

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Post by Princess Strega »

Dread Delgath wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:26 pm
5e. Or, do you wish to know what I mean when I say, "...playing the game that I want to play in."?
want

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath »

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:54 am
Dread Delgath wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:26 pm
5e. Or, do you wish to know what I mean when I say, "...playing the game that I want to play in."?
want
I hope I've answered this question. If not, I'll have to expand on my previous posts by quite a large margin. :geek:
“Did I do anything wrong today, or has the world always been like this and I've been too wrapped up in myself to notice?”

Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Post by Kythkyn »

Honestly, my issue with it is less the system and more the assumptions. The system is basic to me. Nothing special, nothing terrible. Mechanically it seems sound. But I don't like how, for lack of a better term, "D&Dified" it's become. I feel like there's too much work to do to make it not feel like it's almost a parody of itself?
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Doc Necrotic wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:31 pm
I won't lie, I loved the playtest era a lot. The mood and atmosphere felt quite different then, but it might have had to do with the fact that nothing was fully set in stone. Plus, there was this general hype over modularity over just playing it safe. Honestly, when the product was being finalized, that was my first strike towards burnout. I kind of want to read over some of the old playtest documents I have, just to get an idea of where they were trying to go with things.
This Twitter thread about D&D Next may be timely. :)

CommanderCrud
Bugbear

Post by CommanderCrud »

Kythkyn wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:19 am
Honestly, my issue with it is less the system and more the assumptions. The system is basic to me. Nothing special, nothing terrible. Mechanically it seems sound. But I don't like how, for lack of a better term, "D&Dified" it's become. I feel like there's too much work to do to make it not feel like it's almost a parody of itself?
Nicely put.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

As someone who likes 5e I have to say this thread is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. While the posts are civil, it is clearly a gang bang against one edition, while it's very obvious which other rule set each poster prefers. All that with the green light by the powers that be of this forum. I'm not surprised. More than 50% of all posts in the 5e section are negative, attacks on 5e, complaints or putting down any new product that comes out... It's all very toxic. Then social contract of non-edition wars of The Piazza is self-delusion.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon »

Noted. This thread should not have been allowed to run as long as it has. Thread locked.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”