[Endless Quest] D&D 5E Endless Quest Series

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

willpell
Black Dragon

[Endless Quest] D&D 5E Endless Quest Series

Post by willpell »

They initially launched the new Forbeck series in 2018 with four books, each a different color, featuring protagonists from the four iconic classes and races (listed here in the order of my reading them):

* "To Catch a Thief", blue, Halfling Rogue (set in Waterdeep and starring Laeral Silverhand and The Xanathar)
* "Into the Jungle", green, Dwarf Cleric (a Harper and worshipper of Clangeddin Silverbeard, mostly set in Chult and tied heavily to ToA)
* "Big Trouble", orange, Elf Wizard (though very early in her apprenticeship; tied to some new version of Against the Giants that may or may not be SKT)
* "Escape the Underdark", red, Human Fighter (not yet read, but the title suggests at least a vague tie to Out of the Abyss)

Then in 2019, two more were published; "Escape from Ravenloft" is green and stars a Cleric, just as with "Into the Jungle", although this time she's human. I know the other 2019 title, "Mad Mage's Academy", only from a thumbnail, but it appeared to have an Elf on it, and it's blue like "To Catch a Thief", so presumably the character is another Rogue.

I will be quite disappointed if 2020 comes and goes without two new books being published, an orange one with a Halfling Wizard and a red one with a Dwarf Fighter, so that this second series is complete. I have no knowledge of whether the first six books sold well enough to justify continuing the line, but I'll be quite irritated if they don't complete the second cycle they started, so that these "iconics" are left forever unbalanced in their representation. (Now, if the books are successful enough that a couple more do roll out every year, I would hope that books 9 through 12 might explore other classes and races; we could have a Half-Elf, Half-Orc, Drow and Gnome of the classes Druid, Bard, Warlock and Monk, followed a couple years later by a Dragonborn Paladin, a Tiefling Sorcerer, and a Ranger and Barbarian each of some previously-unseen subraces. But that's me getting a little carried away.)
Havard wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:33 pm
Interesting. Did that book feature any Tortles? :ugeek:
-Havard
It did not, although they do appear in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, so their use in 5E is a possibility (much to my chagrin; I'd rather have had the more vaguely turtle-like desert-dwellers introduced in 3E, whose name escapes me at the moment). "Into the Jungle" does feature Grungs, a race of poison-arrow frog-people who are very different from Bullywugs, Sivs, worshippers of that Greyhawk god of frog-human racism (another name I can't recall), or other previous amphibian humanoids. It also features both aarakocra and pterafolk; the former are in the monster manual, while the latter are probably in Tomb of Annihilation along with the Grungs, not that I know for sure. Whether the latter mentions Tortles is anyone's guess.

Admin Edit: Split from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21286
-Dragon Turtle

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Endless Quest] D&D 5E Endless Quest Series

Post by Havard »

Excellent overview of the series Willpell!

I have had my Dragon Turtle account split this off as a separate thread so that we can talk more about the series in general, while reserving the other thread to discussion about the Ravenloft book in particular.

In addition to the books you mention, I have also come across a book called Escape the Underdark, featuring a Fighter. I believe this book was tied to the Rage of Demons storyline, but I don't actually own the book yet.

willpell wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:32 pm
Havard wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:33 pm
Interesting. Did that book feature any Tortles? :ugeek:
-Havard
It did not, although they do appear in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, so their use in 5E is a possibility (much to my chagrin; I'd rather have had the more vaguely turtle-like desert-dwellers introduced in 3E, whose name escapes me at the moment). "Into the Jungle" does feature Grungs, a race of poison-arrow frog-people who are very different from Bullywugs, Sivs, worshippers of that Greyhawk god of frog-human racism (another name I can't recall), or other previous amphibian humanoids. It also features both aarakocra and pterafolk; the former are in the monster manual, while the latter are probably in Tomb of Annihilation along with the Grungs, not that I know for sure. Whether the latter mentions Tortles is anyone's guess.

Tomb of Annhilation (the D&D Book) also features Tortles as does the Tortle Package which is a PDF only release.

What are those turtle-like desert dwellers you mention? The description doesn't ring a bell. Do you remember anything else about them?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

We have an older topic about this, from 2018, called Endless Quest books making a comeback!

The first four Endless Quest books, have tie-ins with D&D hardbacks. (See the other topic for details.)

It might be worth seeing if you can find tie-ins for the second wave of Endless Quest books.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell »

Havard wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:41 pm
In addition to the books you mention, I have also come across a book called Escape the Underdark, featuring a Fighter.
I did mention that one above as well. I haven't read it yet, it's the last of the four originals that I'm waiting to get from the library. Finished reading the other three, and I'd characterize "Into the Jungle" as the best and "Big Trouble" as the least good (mostly because it really comes up short of delivering on its "You are the Wizard!" cover promise; you cast all of like three spells in the whole thing - you would think that with an army of giants opposing you, you'd need to pull out all the stops, but instead you mostly just run and hide despite not being a Rogue).
What are those turtle-like desert dwellers you mention? The description doesn't ring a bell. Do you remember anything else about them?
Their name came back to me - Crucians. I forget exactly which 3E book they were in.
Big Mac wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:53 pm
We have an older topic about this, from 2018, called Endless Quest books making a comeback!
Yes I know, I posted in that one too. :mrgreen:

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”