[Taladas] Is there a complete product listing for Taladas?

Visit Krynn's mysterious second continent and other lands that lie beyond the shores of Ansalon.
The Book-House: Find Taladas products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

[Taladas] Is there a complete product listing for Taladas?

Postby NPCDave » Tue May 07, 2013 2:29 am

I don't think I could ever run a campaign on the main continent...but I could see myself running a campaign on Taladas.

Is there a complete product listing somewhere? I would be interested first and foremost material on the setting, and to a lesser extent on PC material which is applicable to Taladas(like the mages and knights on Ansalon who may also have a presence on Taladas).

And I would also be curious about the computer games and fan material out there.
NPCDave
Stone Giant

Re: Is there a complete product listing for Taladas somewher

Postby maddog » Tue May 07, 2013 3:09 am

IIRC, there wasn't a large amount published for Taladas. You can find a list of products here at the Dragonlance Nexus. I don't see a way to subdivide by Taladas but I do know that the DLA modules were set there.

--Ray.
---
Hey! I just became a stone giant!
My Moderator voice is in Green.
Moderator of Dragonlance forum.
maddog
Frost Giant

Postby Havard » Tue May 07, 2013 6:04 am

Boxed Sets
1050 Time of the Dragon boxed set
1056 Castles box set (Drungar Booklet features Taladas)

DLA Adventure Series
9275 Dragon Dawn
9285 Dragon Knight
9294 Dragon's Rest

DLR Adventure Series
9278 Otherlands
9344 Taladas: The Minotaurs
9383 Unsung Heroes

DLT Adventure Series
9395 New Tales: The Land Reborn
9396 Book of Lairs

DLS Adventure Series
9314 DLS1 New Beginnings

Novels: The Taladas Trilogy
Blades of the Tiger
Trail of the Black Wyrm
Shadow of the Flame

Comics
Some of the Dragonlance Comics featured stories set in Taladas.

Magazine Articles
"Angry Dead Gnomes and Sinister Walking Sharks" By James Jacobs in Dragon #315

Other Media
Dark Queen of Krynn Computer Game

More details here: http://www.dlnexus.com/archives/taladas/faq.aspx

Also, this whole website is awesome: http://www.dlnexus.com/archives/taladas/taladas.aspx

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Fri May 10, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Dragonhelm » Tue May 07, 2013 6:22 am

You may check out James O'Rance's Taladas site, which we archived on the Nexus. It has a product section for Taladas, but I will forewarn you that this site is dated and does not include the Taladas trilogy.

All of that being said, I'm working on an updated Taladas site for the Nexus network. It will have a good product section.

And all of that being said, seems Havard beat me to the punch!
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.
Dragonhelm
Aurak

Postby Havard » Tue May 07, 2013 6:48 am

Dragonhelm wrote:You may check out James O'Rance's Taladas site, which we archived on the Nexus. It has a product section for Taladas, but I will forewarn you that this site is dated and does not include the Taladas trilogy.

All of that being said, I'm working on an updated Taladas site for the Nexus network. It will have a good product section.

And all of that being said, seems Havard beat me to the punch!

Sorry about that Trampas ;)

The product list I posted above was based on James O'Rance's list, but I added the novels and the Castles boxed set as well as the comic books (which O'Rance lists in the FAQ, but not in the product list).

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby NPCDave » Tue May 07, 2013 7:18 pm

Interesting, it looks like Taladas never got touched on during the DL Saga years or the 3/3.5E Era.

Well that certainly makes it easier to collect the material...and decide on which system to play.
NPCDave
Stone Giant

Postby Dragonhelm » Wed May 08, 2013 4:53 pm

NPCDave wrote:Interesting, it looks like Taladas never got touched on during the DL Saga years or the 3/3.5E Era.

Well that certainly makes it easier to collect the material...and decide on which system to play.

There was very little support for Taladas during SAGA and 3.5. In fact, the 3.5 material mined Taladas for ideas for Ansalon. I would say that SAGA did much the same with the afflicted kender and thinker gnomes. I think there was maybe one 3.5 article on Taladas in Dragon magazine.

If you want a system to use straight out of the box, AD&D 2e is your best bet. If you want to use something a bit more modern, you could easily convert on the fly to C&C.

I had envisioned, at one point, a 4e take on Taladas. It would undoubtedly be an alternate history. Maybe someday when time permits.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Postby Havard » Wed May 08, 2013 5:22 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:I think there was maybe one 3.5 article on Taladas in Dragon magazine.

Ah! Google reveals that Dragon #315 had the following:

TALADAS
Angry Dead Gnomes and Sinister Walking Sharks
By James Jacobs

This thread at the Dragonlance Forum on Taladas PrC's gives more detail on that article from Dragon #315:

Sephzero wrote:Well, the Dragon #315: Campaign Classic did an article providing two examples of Taladas PrCs: One for the Companions of the Dead and another for the Shark Cultist of Southern Taladas. So it'll be interesting to see how they might compare to each other now.

Edit: There is a discussion on this article here on The Piazza! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby NPCDave » Wed May 08, 2013 11:07 pm

Ah good to know about Dragon Magazine material as well.

I also found Dark Queen of Krynn is mostly set on Taladas, although the two previous computer games in the series were not.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Queen_of_Krynn
NPCDave
Stone Giant

Re: [Taladas] Is there a complete product listing for Talada

Postby rabindranath72 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:18 pm

9278 Otherlands *
9383 Unsung Heroes ^

DLT Adventure Series
9395 New Tales: The Land Reborn *
9396 Book of Lairs ^

IIRC, these are either not fully (^), or completely not (*) Taladas.

There was also DLS1 New Beginnings, which was a tutorial/introductory module to AD&D 2e and Taladas.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Havard » Fri May 10, 2013 12:56 pm

NPCDave wrote:I also found Dark Queen of Krynn is mostly set on Taladas, although the two previous computer games in the series were not.

Thanks! I have added it to the list, under "Other media".

rabindranath72 wrote:
9278 Otherlands *
9383 Unsung Heroes ^

DLT Adventure Series
9396 Book of Lairs ^

There was also DLS1 New Beginnings, which was a tutorial/introductory module to AD&D 2e and Taladas.

Thanks! I have added DLS1, but I am reluctant to remove any of the others yet. Since they were added by Jack O'Rance who is such a hard core Taladas fan, he must have had some reason for it, right? Still, it is good to know that many of them are not fully set on Taladas. :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby rabindranath72 » Fri May 10, 2013 2:55 pm

Havard wrote:
NPCDave wrote:I also found Dark Queen of Krynn is mostly set on Taladas, although the two previous computer games in the series were not.

Thanks! I have added it to the list, under "Other media".

rabindranath72 wrote:
9278 Otherlands *
9383 Unsung Heroes ^

DLT Adventure Series
9396 Book of Lairs ^

Thanks! I have added DLS1, but I am reluctant to remove any of the others yet. Since they were added by Jack O'Rance who is such a hard core Taladas fan, he must have had some reason for it, right? Still, it is good to know that many of them are not fully set on Taladas. :)

-Havard

I don't know why he put those in reference to Taladas; Otherlands details lands beyond Ansalon and Taladas. It can be useful for Taladas if the characters decide to go exploring; but the same is true if you start from Ansalon.

Unsung Heroes might have one or two Taladas NPCs, but I can't recall for sure as there are many of them.

Same for Book of Lairs, it contains one or two critter specific to Taladas (Disir for sure.) But since most creatures can be assumed to be found on both continents, it might work as a Taladas reference.

Finally, New Tales: The Land Reborn deals with adventures of the Heroes of the Lance a few years after the War; I can't recall any relationship with Taladas at all.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Falconer » Sat May 11, 2013 3:45 am

I consider both Selasia and Watermere (from Otherlands) to be parts of Taladas. Selasia is a chain of islands also known as “The Spine of Taladas,” and one of the islands is called “Little Taladas.” Watermere is basically the Sea Elves lands by Taladas. There are numerous ties to Taladas proper in the writeups, which make it useful in Taladas research even if you don’t agree with the above.
Falconer
Troll

Postby maddog » Sat May 11, 2013 4:26 am

Falconer wrote:I consider both Selasia and Watermere (from Otherlands) to be parts of Taladas. Selasia is a chain of islands also known as “The Spine of Taladas,” and one of the islands is called “Little Taladas.” Watermere is basically the Sea Elves lands by Taladas. There are numerous ties to Taladas proper in the writeups, which make it useful in Taladas research even if you don’t agree with the above.

Well, that's good enough for me. I stand corrected. :) If we make a sub-forum, we should include these areas.
--Ray.
---
Hey! I just became a stone giant!
My Moderator voice is in Green.
Moderator of Dragonlance forum.
maddog
Frost Giant

Postby Dragonhelm » Sat May 11, 2013 10:28 pm

maddog wrote:
Falconer wrote:I consider both Selasia and Watermere (from Otherlands) to be parts of Taladas. Selasia is a chain of islands also known as “The Spine of Taladas,” and one of the islands is called “Little Taladas.” Watermere is basically the Sea Elves lands by Taladas. There are numerous ties to Taladas proper in the writeups, which make it useful in Taladas research even if you don’t agree with the above.

Well, that's good enough for me. I stand corrected. :) If we make a sub-forum, we should include these areas.
--Ray.

What I would like would be a subforum called Taladas and Other Lands, which would be a nod to Otherlands and capture any other area beyond Ansalon, such as Adlatum.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Postby Big Mac » Sat May 11, 2013 11:50 pm

Havard wrote:Comics
Some of the Dragonlance Comics featured stories set in Taladas.

One of the Spelljammer Comics is called Exile on Taladas and is a Spelljammer/Taladas crossover story. I don't own a copy yet, so can't tell you what is in it.

NPCDave wrote:Interesting, it looks like Taladas never got touched on during the DL Saga years or the 3/3.5E Era.

I've expressed my regret about that over at the Dragonlance Forums.

From what I heard, the Taladas Trillogy novels were scheduled very close to the end of the Dragonlance Licence that Sovereign Press and then Margaret Weis Productions had. So it wasn't really possible to build anything compatible with that.

I am hoping that, one day, the fanbase will pick up the slack and build a 3e Taladas Campaign Setting netbook that is of the same level of quality as the Adlatum Campaign Setting. But with it being a conversion, rather than something totally new, it would be a different beast to Adlatum.

NPCDave wrote:Ah good to know about Dragon Magazine material as well.

I also found Dark Queen of Krynn is mostly set on Taladas, although the two previous computer games in the series were not.

We should start a separate thread about that. Perhaps there are some "Lets Play" videos on YouTube that we can use to grab inspiration* from the computer game.

* = We could for example, raid the NPCs, magic items and other things mentioned in the game and create game stats for them.

Dragonhelm wrote:
maddog wrote:

--Ray.

What I would like would be a subforum called Taladas and Other Lands, which would be a nod to Otherlands and capture any other area beyond Ansalon, such as Adlatum.

Ah! Now I see where you guys are coming from (in the forum application).

I think that it would still be appropriate to tag up threads as [Selasia] and [Watermere] because, while they are close to Taladas, they are as different from it as Savage Coast and Thunder Rift are from mainstream Mystara. Also, one day in the distant future (when all the existing forums have expanded) it is inevitable that Selasia and Watermere will have enough threads that bespoke forums for them are more logical and we will need to find the threads to move them all.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby AuldDragon » Mon May 13, 2013 6:39 am

Big Mac wrote:

We should start a separate thread about that. Perhaps there are some "Lets Play" videos on YouTube that we can use to grab inspiration* from the computer game.

* = We could for example, raid the NPCs, magic items and other things mentioned in the game and create game stats for them.

Keep in mind that the games are not canon and the research for the game was only so-so; in addition, the mechanics of the engine took priority over the setting, so I'd be careful about using it to get a feel for the continent. The areas the game focused on were also the areas most developed in Time of the Dragon, so you'd probably get a lot more from the boxed set.

All that said, I've done a Let's Play of it (and all the other Gold Box games except AOL's Neverwinter Nights and Unlimited Adventures, which I will get to eventually), so you can judge for yourself.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
AuldDragon
White Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Tue May 28, 2013 12:28 pm

AuldDragon wrote:Keep in mind that the games are not canon and the research for the game was only so-so; in addition, the mechanics of the engine took priority over the setting, so I'd be careful about using it to get a feel for the continent. The areas the game focused on were also the areas most developed in Time of the Dragon, so you'd probably get a lot more from the boxed set.

Personally I treat content from games as "game canon". If it is good, I'll use game canon, if it conflicts with tabletop canon or novel canon, I will assume that tabletop canon trumps game canon.

I treat comic canon in a similar way. There are good details in all of these things.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Dragon Turtle » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:07 pm

This is Havard's Alternate Account
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group so that you can stay in touch.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Junior admin at The Piazza. My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Dragon Turtle
Initiate

Return to Taladas and Otherlands