[Taladas] The Dark Queen of Krynn

Visit Krynn's mysterious second continent and other lands that lie beyond the shores of Ansalon.
The Book-House: Find Taladas products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Taladas] The Dark Queen of Krynn

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:18 pm

The Dark Queen of Krynn is the third of a trilogy of computer games from SSI. It follows Champions of Krynn and Death Knights of Krynn. Most of the action of The Dark Queen of Krynn is set on the continent of Taladas, so I'm wondering if the game contains anything that could be raided for tabletop play. First a few useful links:
If anyone finds any other useful links, I might edit this post to add them to this list.

The GameFAQ site looks especially useful, as it has 16 maps of the areas depicted in the game. A few of the maps are not locations in Taladas, but most of them are. I figure they are raidable. Maybe someone with artistic skills, could make floorplans that print out on the same scale as miniatures.

Is there anything else in the game that could be raided for tabletop play?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Re: [Taladas] The Dark Queen of Krynn

Post by Bouv » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:49 am

I've been kinda playing it off and on lately. I'm not sure how it compares to the Time of Dragons boxset. There is a funky lighthouse, a small village of descedents of aquatic elves, a city ruled by minotaurs, the Hurdlefolk elves (who are secretive and deceptive), and dracions manuplating other kingdoms.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:09 pm

Bouv wrote:There is a funky lighthouse, a small village of descedents of aquatic elves, a city ruled by minotaurs, the Hurdlefolk elves (who are secretive and deceptive), and dracions manuplating other kingdoms.
The lighthouse must be the Luminari lighthouse. Luminari is the local name for Lunitari, but I don't recall a mention of the lighthouse in Time of the Dragon. I might have missed it, as I don't know the book perfectly.

The minotaur city is Kristophan and that is a major location in Taladas. I don't recall an underdark level being mentioned in Time of the Dragon.

I definitely do not remember any mention of draconians (if that is what you meant to type) manipulating other kingdoms. That sounds like it could be an interesting plot hook.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Post by Bouv » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:12 pm

In the game, you pursue them across the ocean to Taladas so that's the major hook there.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:27 pm

Bouv wrote:In the game, you pursue them across the ocean to Taladas so that's the major hook there.
From Ansalon to Taladas? Does the game have you passing by Selasia or over Watermere or do you go directly from one place to the other?

Also, is there any sort of knowledge of Taladas, in the game, or do you sail there not knowing where you are about to arrive?

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Post by Bouv » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:19 am

There is very little to no knowledge of Taladas and you discover it as you go along.

You start out examaning a burnt out port town and meet up with some merchants and decide to follow the draconins across the sea but end up almost sinking and meeting up with sea elves and getting to Taladas from there (ending up in a small village that had descended from sea elves). You can explore the entire continent, almost. The south western area (controlled by some elves) is impassable and a couple other areas are "locked" until certain stages of the game. There is no sailing - only in the beginning are you on a plot-directed boat ride.

While you as a player may have a lot of information on Taladas, your PCs don't have a whole lot and glean information in the different towns and from the different NPCs you talk to.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:33 pm

Bouv wrote:There is very little to no knowledge of Taladas and you discover it as you go along.
Sounds good. That matches up with the impression I had that people did not know Taladas existed.

Maybe that knowledge can be extracted from the game and listed here. :cool:
Bouv wrote:You start out examaning a burnt out port town and meet up with some merchants and decide to follow the draconins across the sea but end up almost sinking and meeting up with sea elves and getting to Taladas from there (ending up in a small village that had descended from sea elves). You can explore the entire continent, almost. The south western area (controlled by some elves) is impassable and a couple other areas are "locked" until certain stages of the game. There is no sailing - only in the beginning are you on a plot-directed boat ride.
Do you think the burnt out port town is supposed to be the place in Ansalon where the draconians arrived?

There are sea-elves in Otherlands (in the Watermere Campaign Setting). Do you think these are the same sea-elves in the game?

Is the village that the ship arrives in named?
Bouv wrote:While you as a player may have a lot of information on Taladas, your PCs don't have a whole lot and glean information in the different towns and from the different NPCs you talk to.
This sounds good. Maybe we could look at the Lets Play video to see what the NPCs say about each place. :)

Return to “Taladas and Otherlands”