Royodo Archived

Visit Krynn's mysterious second continent and other lands that lie beyond the shores of Ansalon.
The Book-House: Find Taladas products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Royodo Archived

Postby Dragonhelm » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:42 pm

Hey, folks, I've been talking to Nael recently, and I have archived what materials were online for his ODL project - Royodo and the Shattered Lands.

As it stands now, I don't foresee any future work being done on Royodo. I wanted to at least preserve what was done so that DMs could develop Royodo for their own games.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.
Dragonhelm
Aurak

Re: Royodo Archived

Postby Havard » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:05 pm

Thank you so much for doing this Dragonhelm! I really hate it when fan projects like this are discontinued and the material is lost. As I recall Ryodo was one of several projects that tried to add an oriental adventures style continent to Krynn. Do you know the status of the other similar projects? Perhaps some ideas from Ryodo could be carried over into the others?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Dragonhelm » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:06 am

Havard wrote:Thank you so much for doing this Dragonhelm! I really hate it when fan projects like this are discontinued and the material is lost. As I recall Ryodo was one of several projects that tried to add an oriental adventures style continent to Krynn. Do you know the status of the other similar projects? Perhaps some ideas from Ryodo could be carried over into the others?

-Havard

The only other Oriental-flavored Dragonlance project that saw any fruition was Jeremy Forbing's Oriental Dragonlance Adventures. That pre-dates Royodo, though.

I've always wanted to see an Oriental Dragonlance setting. I was going to take over Royodo at one point (with permission), but Nael came back and took it over. Then it kind of went kaput. Which is a pity, as Royodo has a killer map.

I've considered writing it up myself. I haven't in the past in deference to Nael. Now? If I was to do it now, I'd write it for 5e. I feel like I need a few more tools to do it right, though.

Unfortunately, I've also recently been part of a discussion on the political correctness of the term "Oriental" in gaming on the DL Forums that didn't sit well with me, so I'd like to just let it sit for a bit.

Maybe someday.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Postby Big Mac » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:07 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:Hey, folks, I've been talking to Nael recently, and I have archived what materials were online for his ODL project - Royodo and the Shattered Lands.

As it stands now, I don't foresee any future work being done on Royodo. I wanted to at least preserve what was done so that DMs could develop Royodo for their own games.

Thanks.

I always liked what Nael was doing with Royodo.

It is sad that it didn't get finished.

Dragonhelm wrote:I've always wanted to see an Oriental Dragonlance setting. I was going to take over Royodo at one point (with permission), but Nael came back and took it over. Then it kind of went kaput. Which is a pity, as Royodo has a killer map.

I've considered writing it up myself. I haven't in the past in deference to Nael. Now? If I was to do it now, I'd write it for 5e. I feel like I need a few more tools to do it right, though.

Royodo has already been rebooted, at least twice. I wish that it had continued to be a 3e thing, so that it was compatible with the MWP products.

BTW: Are all three different versions of Royodo in the archive?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Dragonhelm » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:54 am

Big Mac wrote: Royodo has already been rebooted, at least twice. I wish that it had continued to be a 3e thing, so that it was compatible with the MWP products.

Everything I have for Royodo has been archived.

At this point, I don't think I would try to tackle Royodo again. Thing is, it isn't my baby. Even when I got permission to develop Royodo, it quickly became apparent whose project it really was. :(

I also was a bit soured recently by a discussion on the political correctness of the term "Oriental." My fear there is that any work I put out under the banner of "Oriental Dragonlance Adventures" there would be a bad air surrounding it.

I don't know if I need time, or to just forget about what other people think (easier said than done).
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Postby Big Mac » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:37 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:
Big Mac wrote: Royodo has already been rebooted, at least twice. I wish that it had continued to be a 3e thing, so that it was compatible with the MWP products.

Everything I have for Royodo has been archived.

At this point, I don't think I would try to tackle Royodo again. Thing is, it isn't my baby. Even when I got permission to develop Royodo, it quickly became apparent whose project it really was. :(

I also was a bit soured recently by a discussion on the political correctness of the term "Oriental." My fear there is that any work I put out under the banner of "Oriental Dragonlance Adventures" there would be a bad air surrounding it.

I don't know if I need time, or to just forget about what other people think (easier said than done).

Maybe they could be put out under the 3rd Edition and 4th Edition banners. :)

I can't remember if the second version - the one that switched from the "ODL" name to "Shattered Lands of Royodo" was a change from 3.0 to 3.5, but the 3rd version was definitely a switch to 4e. I'm sure that both 4e fans and 3e fans would benefit from being able to gain access to rules for Royodo that work with their own ruleset.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Taladas and Otherlands