Taladas in 5th Edition?

Visit Krynn's mysterious second continent and other lands that lie beyond the shores of Ansalon.
The Book-House: Find Taladas products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Taladas in 5th Edition?

Postby Havard » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:00 pm

Anyone tinkered with setting conversions?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Taladas in 5th Edition?

Postby Big Mac » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:43 pm

I didn't see anything over at the Dragonlance Nexus forums yet. But they do have a Taladas section now, so I'm guessing they will have a 5e Taladas conversion at some point.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Tim Baker » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:49 pm

I haven't thought much about Taladas in ages. I may need to pull the boxed set out and refresh my memory. Other than the Minotaur race in Unearthed Arcana, I haven't seen 5e content that's been Taladas-themed.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby rabindranath72 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:36 am

Been thinking about it, but done nothing; I have too much stuff on the plate :?
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:56 pm

Cam Banks posted some advice on The Piazza's Faceborg page:
Cam Banks on the Facebook page for The Piazza wrote:All of it works more or less as-is.

Cam did a ton of 3e conversions, so if he says it works, then that sounds good. :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Tim Baker » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:06 pm

Big Mac wrote:Cam Banks posted some advice on The Piazza's Faceborg page:
Cam Banks on the Facebook page for The Piazza wrote:All of it works more or less as-is.

When he says "it works" what is "it" referring to? I think I lost the context.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Big Mac » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:09 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Cam Banks posted some advice on The Piazza's Faceborg page:

When he says "it works" what is "it" referring to? I think I lost the context.

Taladas in 5th Edition, I presume. :)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Tim Baker » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:37 am

Big Mac wrote:
Tim Baker wrote:When he says "it works" what is "it" referring to? I think I lost the context.

:D I figured that was a given, but does that mean 5e (the current materials available in the core books and the handful of supplements) contains everything that would reasonably be needed to run a campaign in Taladas? No other races, classes, monsters, etc. would be needed?
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Big Mac » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:36 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Tim Baker wrote:When he says "it works" what is "it" referring to? I think I lost the context.

:D I figured that was a given, but does that mean 5e (the current materials available in the core books and the handful of supplements) contains everything that would reasonably be needed to run a campaign in Taladas? No other races, classes, monsters, etc. would be needed?

The most obvious things that are different in Dragonlance are:
  • Kender (you can probably modify halfllings),
  • Draconians (if the dragonborn are in 5e, you can probably modify them),
  • Gully dwarves (these are half-dwarf/half-gnome critters) and
  • Moon magic.

It's been a while since I read my Taladas boxed set, but I think that Taladas does have kender, but that they are radically different to the mainstream kender.

The draconians were actually created on Taladas. There are a couple of experimental types there. The main issue with them, is that they have a death throes attack, that kicks in when they die.

I don't recall seeing anything about gully dwarves in Taladas, but they might be there.

The moon magic works everywhere on Krynn (I would personally rule that it works across all of Krynnspace). But the Wizards of High Sorcery are not present in Taladas. So there might be rogue wizards and that sort of thing.

Dragonlance does have bespoke subraces of elves, but it might be possible to handwave that and to use normal 5e elven subraces.

It depends on how "accurate" you want a conversion to be.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Tim Baker » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:13 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Tim Baker wrote:Does that mean 5e (the current materials available in the core books and the handful of supplements) contains everything that would reasonably be needed to run a campaign in Taladas? No other races, classes, monsters, etc. would be needed?

It depends on how "accurate" you want a conversion to be.

Those are excellent points. I think there would be a moderate amount of work involved to create a 5e Taladas campaign, especially if you tried to run it based on the options in the original boxed set. Didn't they feature lizardmen, ogres, and goblins as PC races? I don't think 5e has officially addressed those races yet (and even minotaurs were a playtest found in an installment of Unearthed Arcana). I'd be interested to see if anyone is working on such a fan conversion.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Dragonhelm » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:04 pm

The PHB has almost everything you need rules-wise to run a Taladas game. I'll address a few points.

1. Dragonborn can be used to represent the draconians (as mentioned in the PHB). What I would do is say that the two draconian tribes merged and started to interbreed, creating a stable second-generation race - dragonborn. You wouldn't need death throes, but they could be added on.

2. The existing elven subraces work fine for Taladas. Ignore drow. Just use high and wild elves. No drow.

3. Moon Magic - I have a conversion of it on the new Nexus.

4. Marak Kender - Just use a halfling

5. Gnomes - rock gnomes from PHB.

6. Gully dwarves - I don't remember if they're on Taladas or not, but they are not necessary to run a campaign there.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.
Dragonhelm
Aurak

Postby Zeromaru X » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:39 am

For kenders you can even use the ones in the D&D Next Playtest (they need little to none modifications to be compatible with 5e). I have the stats of the playtest Kenders, if you need them. And for dragonborn, you can modify them using the Race Catalogue as guide to create the sub-races.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Return to Taladas and Otherlands