[novel] The Taladas Trilogy

Visit Krynn's mysterious second continent and other lands that lie beyond the shores of Ansalon.
The Book-House: Find Taladas products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

[novel] The Taladas Trilogy

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:28 pm

Chris Pierson wrote three books, collectively called The Taladas Trilogy:

The books collectively tell a plot that is as world changing to Taladas, as the Dragonlance Chronicles plot was to Ansalon. (Although it's on a very different sort of level.)

There is a lot of world-building, as the novels bring many of the cultures to life. But there is also a lot of world-destruction too! :lol:

If you have not already got these novels, I would highly recommend buying them. (And Blades of the Tiger was available for £0.01 USD, when I just checked.)

If you have already got them, what do you think of them?

Are there any new details in these novels that you have added into your tabletop Taladas games?

Has anyone used Chris Pierson's plotline (which I'm not going to mention in this top post - but expect plenty of spoilers if you read on) as a tabletop campaign arc?

Has anyone used Chris Pierson's Taladas novels to advance the Taladas timline, so that they could catch up with the advances in the timeline in mainline Dragonlance products? If so, have you extrapolated any details so that you could set the game later than Chris Pierson's era?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [novel] The Taladas Trilogy

Postby Havard » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:34 pm

I know I picked up the first book in the trilogy. I think I also bought the other two, but I no longer remember. I started reading the first one, but got distracted and have not looked at them since. If I can find them again I may go back and read through the trilogy.

Thanks for reminding me!

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:28 am

Havard wrote:I know I picked up the first book in the trilogy. I think I also bought the other two, but I no longer remember. I started reading the first one, but got distracted and have not looked at them since. If I can find them again I may go back and read through the trilogy.

They really are worth it.

Taladas suffers from a lack of source material, compared to mainstream Dragonlance, but one great thing about Chris Pierson's books is that you can go from newbie to expert in the space of three books.

I've still got dozens of D&D novels to read (and more to buy) but I intend to re-read the Taladas Trilogy again at some point. (I might read through the D&D material, before I re-read the novels, to see if I pick up on additional background details that Chris Pierson created.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Tim Baker » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:23 am

It's odd that books 2 and 3 are available in Kindle editions, but not the first book. :?:
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Falconer » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:24 am

Great novels, and yeah, great for getting a sense of Taladas. But if I were running Taladas for a game it would be straight up the 2e setting.
Falconer
Troll

Postby Dragonhelm » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:00 pm

Tim Baker wrote:It's odd that books 2 and 3 are available in Kindle editions, but not the first book. :?:

Yeah, same with the Kingpriest trilogy. :evil:
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.
Dragonhelm
Aurak

Postby Dragonhelm » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:43 pm

I am reading book one of that series and plan on using what I learned there to help in any future Taladas games.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.
Dragonhelm
Aurak

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:39 pm

Falconer wrote:Great novels, and yeah, great for getting a sense of Taladas. But if I were running Taladas for a game it would be straight up the 2e setting.

I would probably do the same.

The plot of this trilogy radically changes a lot of things in the boxed set that I am "not done with". (In fact I "haven't started with them", yet, so tossing them out without even using them seems pointless.) So I might want to use Chris Pierson's plotline eventually, but only after exhausting all the original things that he briefly showcases.

The way I see it, the original War of the Lance era of Anasalon gets a large number of stories in novels and a large number of adventures too. It's only one possible era of Dragonlance, so there is a solid argument that Taladas needs more eras too, but I want a lot more on the meet on the bones of the original era of Taladas.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:46 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:
Tim Baker wrote:It's odd that books 2 and 3 are available in Kindle editions, but not the first book. :?:

Yeah, same with the Kingpriest trilogy. :evil:

That's bizarre. That has to be a mistake. Has anyone been onto WotC customer services about this?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:03 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:I am reading book one of that series and plan on using what I learned there to help in any future Taladas games.

I still need to nab a set of Spelljammer comics...including Exile on Talidas...so that I can compare the Taladas of the comic with the Taladas of the novels.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Taladas and Otherlands