In Memorium: James O'Rance

Visit Krynn's mysterious second continent and other lands that lie beyond the shores of Ansalon.
The Book-House: Find Taladas products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

In Memorium: James O'Rance

Postby Dragonhelm » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:18 am

I found out today that a major Nexus contributor, James O'Rance, passed away - four years ago. Had I known it then, I would have reported it. So sorry about the late notice on this one. :redface:

James O'Rance Article

Tal confirmed this is the same JOR that we all knew.

James was already well established in DL fandom when I came along. He had a very comprehensive 3rd edition conversion that served as some of the first content on the Dragonlance Nexus, allowing us to be in the running for the official Dragonlance fan site.

What James was most known for in Dragonlance fandom was his work on Taladas. He ran the Taladas fan site for years, which included a series of five netbooks.

James had given the Nexus permission to host his site. A while back, I updated it to be a bit more modern. We will continue to host his materials so that his work will live on.

Dragonlance Nexus: Taladas

So here's to James O'Rance. A really nice guy who continues to inspire us today.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.
Dragonhelm
Aurak

Re: In Memorium: James O'Rance

Postby Sturm » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:53 am

Didn't know him but impressed by his work, and grateful for it. Really inspiring!
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Havard » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:38 pm

Wow, I am a huge fan of his work. I used to visit his site long before it was moved to the Nexus.

Such sad news.

RIP. :(

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby ripvanwormer » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:51 am

I used to talk to him when we were both on the Planescape mailing list. I liked him a lot.

Besides his Dragonlance work, he wrote three epic live-action roleplaying scenarios for Planescape: City of Blood and Darkness, The Door to Everywhere, and Immortal Sins (all available on the Mimir's downloads site). He had his own Planescape site at http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arcade/2894, but unfortunately I can't find it archived anywhere.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby ripvanwormer » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:12 am

Ah, here's his old Planescape site: https://web.archive.org/web/20000301060 ... index.html
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:30 am

Dragonhelm wrote:I found out today that a major Nexus contributor, James O'Rance, passed away - four years ago.

Wow! That's sad. :shock: ;(

Dragonhelm wrote:James was already well established in DL fandom when I came along. He had a very comprehensive 3rd edition conversion that served as some of the first content on the Dragonlance Nexus, allowing us to be in the running for the official Dragonlance fan site.

What James was most known for in Dragonlance fandom was his work on Taladas. He ran the Taladas fan site for years, which included a series of five netbooks.

James had given the Nexus permission to host his site. A while back, I updated it to be a bit more modern. We will continue to host his materials so that his work will live on.

Dragonlance Nexus: Taladas

So here's to James O'Rance. A really nice guy who continues to inspire us today.

I was always impressed by James's work on Taladas. I would have liked to have seen him involved (in some way) with an official 3e Dragonlance Taladas Campaign Setting hardback.

I actually wrote to him back in 2012 (maybe shortly before he died) about the Ghostwalk map he created under the name "sim_james". He was kind enough to get back to me. (Sadly the Ghostwalk map he worked on got deleted.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby rabindranath72 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:29 am

Loved his work; I used it in my first forays into D&D 3e with Dragonlance. RIP
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Return to Taladas and Otherlands