Tell Us About Your Taladas Adventures!

Visit Krynn's mysterious second continent and other lands that lie beyond the shores of Ansalon.
The Book-House: Find Taladas products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Tell Us About Your Taladas Adventures!

Postby Dragonhelm » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:19 am

I am currently reading the first book of the Taladas trilogy and having a ball. So I got to wondering about the games you all have played in Taladas.

When were they set? During Time of the Dragon or the Taladas trilogy or some other time? What sort of adventures did you do? Why did you pick Taladas to begin with?
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.
Dragonhelm
Aurak

Re: Tell Us About Your Taladas Adventures!

Postby Tim Baker » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:06 am

Dragonhelm wrote:When were they set? During Time of the Dragon or the Taladas trilogy or some other time? What sort of adventures did you do? Why did you pick Taladas to begin with?

I dabbled in the setting shortly after it was released. I bought the boxed set, and didn't have any other Taladas materials (although I had some Dragonlance books). I ran a pirate adventure in Taladas because I was enamored with the idea of seafaring minotaurs.

Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Sturm » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:58 am

I have the boxed set too but I've never managed to play in it.. I picked it because it was Dragonlance, and at the time I was buying anything of the setting I could find, and that was not very easy in Italy!
I have also the books and I haven't read them yet, but I will (once I've finished the other 200 in line :)
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:01 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:I am currently reading the first book of the Taladas trilogy and having a ball. So I got to wondering about the games you all have played in Taladas.

When were they set? During Time of the Dragon or the Taladas trilogy or some other time? What sort of adventures did you do? Why did you pick Taladas to begin with?

I've got Time of the Dragon and a couple of the DLA adventures (but I'm not sure I have everything associated with Taladas).

I've not run a game yet, but I'm hoping to use Taladas with Krynnspace. I want to have a look at Exodus in Taladas and also look into the minotaur empire, to see how that might interact with spacefarers. There are also some pretty radical cultures on the continent of Taladas, and I thought that it would be fun for PCs from wildspace to come down and explore the area as outsiders.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:04 pm

Tim Baker wrote:I dabbled in the setting shortly after it was released. I bought the boxed set, and didn't have any other Taladas materials (although I had some Dragonlance books). I ran a pirate adventure in Taladas because I was enamored with the idea of seafaring minotaurs.

Make that a pirate adventure with spacefaring minotaurs and you have the sort of game I would like to run.

Do you have anything like a game diary, with a list of what you did in your games? I'd love to know more.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:04 pm

Sturm wrote:I have also the books and I haven't read them yet, but I will (once I've finished the other 200 in line :)

They are very good novels. But they are set in a slightly later era.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:37 pm

My group visited Taladas at least twice. I was a player, not a DM on these adventures. The first adventures involved my character Morkulas Shadowhopper, a Kender, who I believe arrived on Taladas from Ansalon via a gate. This campaign was set during the early stages of the War of the Lance. I don't recall all the details as this happened ages ago, but I do recall several encounters with Ogre villagers. We also had an adventure in the castle of a Vampire-like nobleman, but I have later learned that Vampires do not exist on Krynn (?) so it is hard to say what that guy really was. Our early Dragonlance campaigns would often cross over with Ravenloft, Spelljammer and later on with Planescape, so it could be that this was a side-trek to Ravenloft without us really knowing about it. Morkulas himself was extremely curious about the Gnomes living above that crater, but his adventures would take him across the planes and back to Ansalon again in order to help his friends defeat a powerful Black Robe Wizard, though that wizard was redeemed in the end and helped the party destroy a powerful artifact.

The second time I remember was a much later campaign with a different DM, though it was set in the same continuity with references to the first campaign. This occurred late in the War of the Lance era, probably around the time of the War of the Twins. This campaign had an early stage on Ansalon, but it ended with an epic voyage across the sea to find Taladas. Upon arriving there, some of us made it to the Minotaur League lands and travelled to the City of Kristophan where we were thrown into the jails of the Emperor. My character was rescued from those jail cells by a Red Robe mage ally (another player), but the campaign ended shortly thereafter.

There was also a third stage of our adventures in Krynn, set in the 5th Age, but this part was set solely on Ansalon as far as I recall.

As a player I remember being fascinated with this idea of a second continent of Krynn and really liked the Time of the Dragon Boxed Set. The cover art by Robin Wood and the color illustration plates included in the box really helped me visualize the setting.

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Dragonhelm » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:55 pm

Havard wrote:We also had an adventure in the castle of a Vampire-like nobleman, but I have later learned that Vampires do not exist on Krynn (?)

Why do people keep saying that? Vampires totally exist on Krynn.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.
Dragonhelm
Aurak

Postby Havard » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:33 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:
Havard wrote:We also had an adventure in the castle of a Vampire-like nobleman, but I have later learned that Vampires do not exist on Krynn (?)

Why do people keep saying that? Vampires totally exist on Krynn.

Ugh, I just read that novel about Krynnish vampires. I should know better too! :facepalm:

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Tim Baker » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:13 am

Big Mac wrote:Make that a pirate adventure with spacefaring minotaurs and you have the sort of game I would like to run.

That sounds like an awesome idea!

Big Mac wrote:Do you have anything like a game diary, with a list of what you did in your games? I'd love to know more.

I'm afraid not. I've never been very good about documenting my games, and I have only my memories of those high school games from so many decades ago. It was a one-shot from a time when we played one-shots nearly every week. I remember using the Palladium Fantasty system, because I didn't care for the AD&D rules at the time. The adventure was loosely based on a published Dragonlance adventure from an anthology of short adventures. It started with a naval battle, which the PCs lost (I'm not sure it was really possible for them to win -- I had a lot to learn about being a DM, back then). They were captured by the crew of minotaurs and brought to an island where they became arena fighters. They defeated their foes in combat, and the honorable minotaurs allowed them safe passage back to the mainland. In hindsight, an adventure where the PCs lose their ship and only escape with their lives is rather bleak for a one-shot. But we probably followed up with a game of Toon to make up for it the following week. ;)
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Falconer » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:53 pm

Dragonlance definitely tends to “feature” certain monsters, to the point that if you run across a monster that is standard in AD&D and not on the “illegal” list for Krynn, it nevertheless might seem out of place unless/until they are given a niche. It’s a little jarring when you run across a random Gnoll or Giant in DL. The Beloved are a good example—finally Vampires were adapted to Krynn and given a Krynnish twist and given a niche on Krynn as a limited threat that upsets the apple cart for a while before eventually going away. (Ogre Titans are another example, basically providing a “niche” in DL to DLish Giant-like creatures.) Again, I appreciate that Vampires were never technically on the “illegal” list for Krynn monsters, but, my preference by and large is not to use them in Dragonlance. Keep Vampires in Ravenloft and Orcs in Middle-earth and Drow in Greyhawk, you know? Let Dragonlance feature scaly things, and minotaur pirates!
Falconer
Troll

Postby Big Mac » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:06 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:Vampires totally exist on Krynn.

Do any vampires exist in Taladas canon? I don't recall seeing any mentioned in Time of the Dragon.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Zeromaru X » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:38 pm

Tim Baker wrote:Image

Oh, this sold me the setting! I want my frigging minotaur pirates sailing in the Grand Line!
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Big Mac » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:57 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Make that a pirate adventure with spacefaring minotaurs and you have the sort of game I would like to run.

That sounds like an awesome idea!

Thanks!

I don't want to derail this topic any further, but I definitely want to see Krynnspace fanon make the sphere "the Taladas crystal sphere" as well as "the Dragonlance crystal sphere". That's one of the reasons I want to know more about the setting.

Tim Baker wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Do you have anything like a game diary, with a list of what you did in your games? I'd love to know more.

I'm afraid not. I've never been very good about documenting my games, and I have only my memories of those high school games from so many decades ago. It was a one-shot from a time when we played one-shots nearly every week. I remember using the Palladium Fantasty system, because I didn't care for the AD&D rules at the time. The adventure was loosely based on a published Dragonlance adventure from an anthology of short adventures. It started with a naval battle, which the PCs lost (I'm not sure it was really possible for them to win -- I had a lot to learn about being a DM, back then). They were captured by the crew of minotaurs and brought to an island where they became arena fighters. They defeated their foes in combat, and the honorable minotaurs allowed them safe passage back to the mainland. In hindsight, an adventure where the PCs lose their ship and only escape with their lives is rather bleak for a one-shot. But we probably followed up with a game of Toon to make up for it the following week. ;)

I'm not good at documenting my games either.

I need to do something about that. I've seen some great handouts by other D&D fans. I think I need to go through all the MWP books and see what parts of each book could work in a 3e Taladas game. :idea:
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:12 am

Falconer wrote:Dragonlance definitely tends to “feature” certain monsters, to the point that if you run across a monster that is standard in AD&D and not on the “illegal” list for Krynn, it nevertheless might seem out of place unless/until they are given a niche. It’s a little jarring when you run across a random Gnoll or Giant in DL.

I think that Eberron dealt with this sort of thing pretty well. Every core 3rd Edition D&D element was "legal" in Eberron, but the elements all got new backstories.

Falconer wrote:The Beloved are a good example—finally Vampires were adapted to Krynn and given a Krynnish twist and given a niche on Krynn as a limited threat that upsets the apple cart for a while before eventually going away. (Ogre Titans are another example, basically providing a “niche” in DL to DLish Giant-like creatures.)

It is good to see that sort of stuff.

I think that the Death Knight is an example of something that Dragonlance did such a good example of importing, that people are almost not comfortable with using them in other campaign settings, because they can only think of Lord Soth.

Falconer wrote:Again, I appreciate that Vampires were never technically on the “illegal” list for Krynn monsters, but, my preference by and large is not to use them in Dragonlance. Keep Vampires in Ravenloft and Orcs in Middle-earth and Drow in Greyhawk, you know? Let Dragonlance feature scaly things, and minotaur pirates!

I would have thought that vampires on Krynn (both in Ansalon and Taladas) would be the creation of Chemosh.

If Chemosh "tempts mortals with the promise of eternal life" then a vampire is kind of a living embodyment of Chemosh's promise. They can either tell a seductive lie and take away life, or they can "tell a distorted truth" and convert someone into another vampire.

In Krynn, I think that many vampires would probably be hidden within the already hidden church of Chemosh, as clerics.

Page 39 of The Rule Book to Taladas, from the Time of the Dragon boxed set, says that Chemosh is "not worshipped, but feared". So I don't think there is an organisation in Taladas that a vampire could enter and subvert. I suppose some could theoretically be clerics of Chemosh, but given that none of the character races offers this as an option, I would suggest that the vast majority would be "legal" Taladas characters who have been bitten by another vampire. This could be a way to create an Taladas NPC (from a past era of Taladas) and give them a back-story that is on the same sort of level as the back-story of Lord Soth. But then again, if they had a back-story that was too similar to Lord Soth, they would just come across as a "Sparkly Lord Soth" clone. :P So I think that a Taladas vampire would need to have a well written story that does not involve the sort of failure that Soth had, in order to feel different.

What might be fun is to build an iconic hero (not a flawed character) that "saves" one of the communities of Taladas, by going off to defeat a powerful monster (a vampire servant of Chemosh) but is then bitten while killing the monster and then doomed to turn into the very monster that he or she defeated. This hero could then be cursed with the desire to destroy the people he/she once protected.

Alternatively, the vampire might continue to "protect" it's people, but do so in a warped way that means murdering visitors. (Imagine a Hulderfolk vampire that hid in the areas around Okami or the Hulder Wood and stalked any non-Hulderfolk that stumbled onto Hulderfolk communities. That sort of back story could somehow tie into the race's avoidance of outsiders. But a Hulderfolk vampire might not be bound by the same rules as living Hulderfolk.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Taladas and Otherlands