What would it take to get you to explore Taladas?

Visit Krynn's mysterious second continent and other lands that lie beyond the shores of Ansalon.
The Book-House: Find Taladas products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

What would it take to get you to explore Taladas?

Postby Dragonhelm » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:07 pm

For many of us, Dragonlance = Ansalon. There is a certain truth to that. Yet the continent of Taladas is also available to explore.

So if you haven't gamed in Taladas, what would it take to get you to explore there?
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.
Dragonhelm
Aurak

Re: What would it take to get you to explore Taladas?

Postby The Dark » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:50 am

I'm not exactly the target audience for this question, since I prefer Taladas. There's so much less canon about it, so I have fewer concerns about someone who's more versed in the lore than I am pointing out how something isn't possible.

Also, I like minotaurs.
The Dark
Troll

Postby night_druid » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:39 am

Dragonhelm wrote:For many of us, Dragonlance = Ansalon. There is a certain truth to that. Yet the continent of Taladas is also available to explore.

So if you haven't gamed in Taladas, what would it take to get you to explore there?

A good sourcebook.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:14 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:For many of us, Dragonlance = Ansalon. There is a certain truth to that. Yet the continent of Taladas is also available to explore.

Back during the 3rd Edition Era, I wanted Margaret Weis Productions to make a 3e Taladas book, but now that Margaret Weis has retired from creating RPG material and passed over Cortex development to Cam Banks, I think I would like to see Magic Vacuum Design Studio (Cam's company) pull in a number of the people that worked on the 3e DL line to create a 5e Taladas Campaign Setting product that was designed to have as much system neutral content (that would work for fans of both 3e and earlier editions) as possible.

Ideally, I would like something that works for both the post Taladas Trilogy novel era and the original Time of the Dragon era.

What I really need (and what I also need for Krynnspace) is a way to raid ideas from every 3e DL product and give a new spin for Taladas (or for Krynnspace). Maybe some of that stuff that works in Ansalon does not work in Taladas, but I need to know how the replacement stuff works in it's place. I want to know how I can take Ansalon characters into Taladas and how I can take Taladas characters over to Ansalon.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:15 pm

I wonder if it would help if someone created a campaign that created a bit more of a connection between the two continents. One of the campaigns I played in involved a Christopher Columbus style voyage from Ansalon to Taladas. One cool thing about that was that we were allowed to use our Ansalon based characters while exploring Taladas.

Perhaps a more developed storyline about how the Knights of Solamnia (or someone else) organized a kind of colonization effort (or at least tried to set up some trading ports) on Taladas that the PCs could be part of could be fun? Or perhaps just a quest where the PCs had to travel to Taladas through portals to find something that would be important for events on Ansalon. Or even an invasion from Taladas into Ansalon?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Tim Baker » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:30 am

Dragonhelm wrote:So if you haven't gamed in Taladas, what would it take to get you to explore there?

It's been ages since I read anything about Taladas, but I enjoyed it back in the '90s. I'd be interested in running something in Taladas if someone created a compelling list of 13th Age compatible icons for the setting. I'd probably ping the community for suggestions on a solid adventure and go from there.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby night_druid » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:48 pm

night_druid wrote:A good sourcebook.

I think I'll elaborate on this.

When I came into D&D, right about the time of the 1e to 2e change-over, Dragonlance was a bit of a difficult world to get into, particularly compared to FR, DS, or even GH. DL products were hard to find (in my area, at least), and Taladas even more so. I can't even say I've *seen* a Taladas-related product for sale. I know its a small (relatively speaking) continent dominated by minotaurs with some unusual races. There's a big ocean of lava in the center. Beyond that, I'd have a heck of a time with it.

So to me the first thing to get people interested is a good sourcebook that describes the setting in detail. That would be the most appropriate starting point.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:48 pm

Havard wrote:I wonder if it would help if someone created a campaign that created a bit more of a connection between the two continents. One of the campaigns I played in involved a Christopher Columbus style voyage from Ansalon to Taladas. One cool thing about that was that we were allowed to use our Ansalon based characters while exploring Taladas.

Perhaps a more developed storyline about how the Knights of Solamnia (or someone else) organized a kind of colonization effort (or at least tried to set up some trading ports) on Taladas that the PCs could be part of could be fun? Or perhaps just a quest where the PCs had to travel to Taladas through portals to find something that would be important for events on Ansalon. Or even an invasion from Taladas into Ansalon?

If you go back in time, you have a group of elves that were swept from Ansalon to Taladas and stranded there. It might be possible to run an "Arcane Age" style Taladas game, where the PCs are some of those original elves.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Dragonhelm wrote:So if you haven't gamed in Taladas, what would it take to get you to explore there?

It's been ages since I read anything about Taladas, but I enjoyed it back in the '90s. I'd be interested in running something in Taladas if someone created a compelling list of 13th Age compatible icons for the setting. I'd probably ping the community for suggestions on a solid adventure and go from there.

Here are some random people:

Those people are all from the novels. I'm not sure if some of the people in the gaming products are more relevant, but I couldn't find categories to search for people in Taladas.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:17 pm

night_druid wrote:
night_druid wrote:A good sourcebook.

I think I'll elaborate on this.

When I came into D&D, right about the time of the 1e to 2e change-over, Dragonlance was a bit of a difficult world to get into, particularly compared to FR, DS, or even GH. DL products were hard to find (in my area, at least), and Taladas even more so. I can't even say I've *seen* a Taladas-related product for sale. I know its a small (relatively speaking) continent dominated by minotaurs with some unusual races. There's a big ocean of lava in the center. Beyond that, I'd have a heck of a time with it.

I picked up Time of the Dragon cheap (from Games Workshop) and (not from planning) also picked up DLA1 Dragon Dawn, DLA2 Dragon Knight and DLA3 Dragon's Rest, so I allegedly have the makings of a Taladas campaign.

But I don't think that TSR did a very good job of marketing Taladas. There is no "Taladas" logo on anything. No sub-branding and not really any way to work out what other D&D products you might be "missing" from your collection.

The big lava ocean is a plot device that really breaks up the continent. I have struggled to work out how to get them to interact.

And pretty much all of the iconic Dragonlance stuff from Ansalon is missing (and needs to be replaced by new stuff).

night_druid wrote:So to me the first thing to get people interested is a good sourcebook that describes the setting in detail. That would be the most appropriate starting point.

I started on a process to raid ideas from Dragonlance Campaign Setting and adapt them to Taladas, but got distracted and didn't keep up with things. I really should get back to that.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Dragonhelm » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:19 pm

Big Mac wrote:But I don't think that TSR did a very good job of marketing Taladas. There is no "Taladas" logo on anything. No sub-branding and not really any way to work out what other D&D products you might be "missing" from your collection.

Taladas was effectively treated like a separate setting too, not like part of the whole.

The big lava ocean is a plot device that really breaks up the continent. I have struggled to work out how to get them to interact.

Gnomes. ;)

And pretty much all of the iconic Dragonlance stuff from Ansalon is missing (and needs to be replaced by new stuff).

That's the big question - does it need to be replaced? And what things do you see as missing?

I am considering a sourcebook, btw. My own take on Taladas. I just worry about burnout.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:30 am

Dragonhelm wrote:
Big Mac wrote:But I don't think that TSR did a very good job of marketing Taladas. There is no "Taladas" logo on anything. No sub-branding and not really any way to work out what other D&D products you might be "missing" from your collection.

Taladas was effectively treated like a separate setting too, not like part of the whole.

I actually like that.

Ansalon had all these big storylines that ignored the rest of the planet. I think that the areas of Taladas should also feel like they have big epic self-contained story potential. I still think it should be possible to do a campaign using all of Krynn, but Taladas should not be a sidecar bolted onto the side of Dragonlance.

Dragonhelm wrote:
Big Mac wrote:The big lava ocean is a plot device that really breaks up the continent. I have struggled to work out how to get them to interact.

Gnomes. ;)

The gnomes were fun. If you had PCs travelling around Taladas you would want them to meet those gnomes. But I'm talking about background activity. The sort of stuff that NPCs do when the PCs are not around.

It's kind of like Ansalon feels extroverted, with most cultures reaching outward and Taladas feels introverted, with most cultures trying to remain isolated.

Perhaps that is supposed to be one of the "unique selling points" of Taladas. I'm still trying to come to grips with it.

Dragonhelm wrote:
Big Mac wrote:And pretty much all of the iconic Dragonlance stuff from Ansalon is missing (and needs to be replaced by new stuff).

That's the big question - does it need to be replaced? And what things do you see as missing?

The big thing that mainstream Dragonlance has is the iconic options for three of the D&D classes:
  • Warriors have the option of joining the Knights of Solamnia,
  • Wizards have the option of joining the Wizards of High Sorcery and
  • Priests/Clerics have the option of joining the Holy Orders of the Stars.

That gives a lot of formal structure to Ansalon. That formality isn't there in Taladas.

We do have warriors, we do have wizards and we do have priests, but the formality is gone. There are no iconic role models to follow.

Dragonhelm wrote:I am considering a sourcebook, btw. My own take on Taladas. I just worry about burnout.

A sourcebook would be fantastic.

Perhaps you should create a general outline of a possible sourcebook, and then pick a smaller region of Taladas and just work on that bit.

That way you could create a smaller project that was less likely to burn you out, but make it something that you could add further "instalments" to, if you had fun doing the first bit.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Dragonhelm » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:51 am

The big thing that mainstream Dragonlance has is the iconic options for three of the D&D classes:

Warriors have the option of joining the Knights of Solamnia,
Wizards have the option of joining the Wizards of High Sorcery and
Priests/Clerics have the option of joining the Holy Orders of the Stars.

That gives a lot of formal structure to Ansalon. That formality isn't there in Taladas.

We do have warriors, we do have wizards and we do have priests, but the formality is gone. There are no iconic role models to follow.

Warriors may not be able to be Knights of Solamnia, but they can join the Imperial Legion, the Dragon Knights, or the Knights of Neraka (in New Jelek).

Perhaps the WoHS are starting to have a presence. Maybe after Maladar, they realize some sort of governing body of magic is needed. Maybe they want to learn the truth of Pelander's visions.

I get what you're saying, and honestly, I think many DL fans shy away from Taladas because of the lack of familiar organizations. However, there are ways around that.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Postby Big Mac » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:14 am

Dragonhelm wrote:

Warriors have the option of joining the Knights of Solamnia,
Wizards have the option of joining the Wizards of High Sorcery and
Priests/Clerics have the option of joining the Holy Orders of the Stars.

Warriors may not be able to be Knights of Solamnia, but they can join the Imperial Legion, the Dragon Knights, or the Knights of Neraka (in New Jelek).

Perhaps the WoHS are starting to have a presence. Maybe after Maladar, they realize some sort of governing body of magic is needed. Maybe they want to learn the truth of Pelander's visions.

I get what you're saying, and honestly, I think many DL fans shy away from Taladas because of the lack of familiar organizations. However, there are ways around that.

I actually think that Taladas was and still is an opportunity to go over the idea of those sorts of organisations and to come out with a totally new tak on things.

When I read my Time of the Dragon boxed set, it just looks like a bunch of isolated areas butted up against each other. Now looking closely at Ansalon, I can see that the Knights of Solamnia do not really have control of the entire continent, so that gut feeling that Ansalon has more than Taladas, is not quite right. But these things don't quite jump out at me and make me want to embrace them.

Perhaps it would be better if a community focused in on one of those smaller areas of Taladas, and throw in so many cool options (for every character class) that the player base for that area is given a boost.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Taladas and Otherlands