Themes of Post-Maladar Taladas

Visit Krynn's mysterious second continent and other lands that lie beyond the shores of Ansalon.
The Book-House: Find Taladas products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Themes of Post-Maladar Taladas

Postby Dragonhelm » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:57 am

So if a person wanted to run a Taladas game set after the fall of Maladar an-Desh, what themes should a campaign follow?

A few that I can think of...

1. Rebuilding and rebirth. Taladas has taken a beating. It's time to rebuild.
2. Discovery of that which was lost. This is a DL theme in general, but it could play an important role now. Did any artifacts of old Aurim manifest themselves? What other secrets are around since prior to the Great Destruction?
3. Scavengers. Who is taking advantage of Taladas' weakness?

Thoughts?
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.
Dragonhelm
Aurak

Re: Themes of Post-Maladar Taladas

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:27 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:So if a person wanted to run a Taladas game set after the fall of Maladar an-Desh, what themes should a campaign follow?

That's hard. My immediate response to reading the Taladas trilogy was to wonder how much of the background detail could be put into a 2nd Edition Era game. I didn't want to run out and reinvent Taladas to build a post trilogy setting. :?

Dragonhelm wrote:A few that I can think of...

1. Rebuilding and rebirth. Taladas has taken a beating. It's time to rebuild.

I think that might need to be done on an area-by-area basis.

If you have an area where people have been killed, but the environment is mostly unchanged, things would slowly build back up over time. New people would slowly move into areas that were empty to gain land. And they would try to work that land the way they worked the land in the areas they came from. So if you have a large environment with a small area of devastation the area would "heal" over time.

But if you have a radical change in the environment, the people living next to that altered environment would not immediately have the skills to adapt. It must have taken time for things like the glass sailor culture to build up the various tools and skills needed to exist on that altered environment. (I'm not sure if there is enough detail in the Taladas timeline to explain how long it takes cultures like the glass sailors to spring up, but I would expect very radical environmental changes to originally kill most of the people who try to exist there.)

Dragonhelm wrote:2. Discovery of that which was lost. This is a DL theme in general, but it could play an important role now. Did any artifacts of old Aurim manifest themselves? What other secrets are around since prior to the Great Destruction?

Taladas has less of this sort of stuff than Ansalon does.

One way to go would be to make a list of Ansalon-based artifacts (just to see how much scope there should be).

It might even be possible to "reboot" Ansalon-based artifacts, changing appearance and powers until they are no longer recognisable as what they originally were.

Dragonhelm wrote:3. Scavengers. Who is taking advantage of Taladas' weakness?

Thoughts?

I would say that anyone pushed out of their homeland would need to go somewhere else to try to survive.

I always thought that draconians were underused in Taladas. Maybe a draconian army could grab some territory, without going stupid and trying to take over the continent. That could give you an entire draconian nation, where draconians from elsewhere could come to live.

If draconians eventually learned how to be clerics and spellcasters, maybe they could learn the draconian creation ritual. And if you had a few Othlorx dragons that could be pursuaded to work with draconians, the could presumably create a homeland where they wouldn't have big armies fighting to destroy them. That could give you an excuse to create a number of neutral-viewed noble draconians.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:42 pm

Perhaps this is a variant of one of the above, but how about 4. The Rise of a New Evil

I like having a concrete opponent for the PCs. This could be an NPC of any of the existing races/groups, but make him into a unique individual and give him a large number of loyal followers. This is an ideal setup whenever there is a power vaccuum.

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:07 am

Havard wrote:Perhaps this is a variant of one of the above, but how about 4. The Rise of a New Evil

I like having a concrete opponent for the PCs. This could be an NPC of any of the existing races/groups, but make him into a unique individual and give him a large number of loyal followers. This is an ideal setup whenever there is a power vaccuum.

There is certainly going to be a lot of power vaccums all across Taladas, in the aftermath of that trilogy.

You could make all sorts of changes.

One thing, that might be fun, is to have the Wizards of High Sorcery try to use the devastation as a way to get a foothold onto the continent.

Or for added fun, have a number of Renegade wizards, come together and move to Taladas, creating their own Renegade Conclave designed to support each other and the way that they want to live. You could turn the idea of the Orders of High Sorcery upside down and create a New Order that picks and chooses rules from the Old Order. :twisted:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Taladas and Otherlands